PDA

View Full Version : Should Federer adjust his forehand and serve or just wait until they click?

bdawg
05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
The dilemma appears deceptively simple. part of being number one is being stubborn, possibly excessively. However, his forehand hasn't clicked all year and now he's losing his serve.

Should he keep hitting his forehand without adjusting it? Or should he start changing pace, and angle. Instead of going for that down the line shot perhaps he should opt to go for that cross court shot...

Same can be said about his serve.. Should he start adjust his stance, toss, and motion?

tennis-hero
05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
His technique is perfect in both forehand and backhand

its ALL mental

people talk about how Rafa constantly hits to the backhand

but Fed's backhand in theory should cope with it, because he executes it perfectly

Fed just needs to believe

bdawg
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Even in form Federer couldn't beat Nadal on clay. Is this due to a failure in strategy ?

tennis-hero
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Even in form Federer couldn't beat Nadal on clay. Is this due to a failure in strategy ?

correct

Nadal's most underrated asset is his INCREDIBLE intelligence

for example versus Verdasco today

i saw him hit a peach of a drop shot on break point

that was Rafa at his intelligent best

Rafa doesn't have Roger's talent, but he is 10 times the mental and intelligent player

therefore he's always had an edge

Roger just needed to not be an arrogant *** and he would have won, in a way- its God's way of showing him that just as he had given him the tennis world- the minute Roger became arrogant and self loving- God took it all from his hands

life
its all just drops in the ocean man

All-rounder
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Federer's game clicks every once and a while and even then he couldn't beat nadal and that was on hardcourts

The_Steak
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Look at Hamburg.

All-rounder
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Look at Hamburg.
which was in 2007 when federer didn't have mental collapses

LanceStern
05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
which was in 2007 when federer didn't have mental collapses

What are you talking about? 2007 was the start of his mental collapses.

Roger just needed to not be an arrogant *** and he would have won, in a way- its God's way of showing him that just as he had given him the tennis world- the minute Roger became arrogant and self loving- God took it all from his hands

Sadly enough, I kind of agree.

All-rounder
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
What are you talking about? 2007 was the start of his mental collapses.

Sadly enough, I kind of agree.
If that is so then how did he win 3 of the 4 slams that year with mental collapses and yet in 2009 he can't even win a atp title

Racer41c
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I think his biggest issue is the serve, which has been off for a year at least.

What I'm noticing about Fed is he hits with the least amount of margin of any of the top guys.

He hits more fliers and more into the net.

He seems to go for too much and/or has trouble constructing points.

And your right, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks cause he's going to do what he's going to do.

TheNatural
05-15-2009, 03:17 PM
If that is so then how did he win 3 of the 4 slams that year with mental collapses and yet in 2009 he can't even win a atp title

Nadal got injured in 3 of the 4 slams in 07. That's how.

Arafel
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
His technique is perfect in both forehand and backhand

its ALL mental

people talk about how Rafa constantly hits to the backhand

but Fed's backhand in theory should cope with it, because he executes it perfectly

Fed just needs to believe

I don't really think Fed copes well on the backhand unless it's a fast surface where the ball stays low and in Fed's wheelhouse. The problem is that Rafa keeps hitting balls that kick up hard on his backhand, so he can't attack, and more often than not is limited to hitting slices or shots that aren't as deep, which Rafa then pummels.

Compare this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR7do5BFgzA

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3y7gpX2kQ

You'll see that on the slower Aussie hard court more often than not Fed struggles to do something with the backhand because of the vicious spin.

Ironically, I think that part of Fed's problem against Nadal is on the forehand. Because Nadal's spin kicks high and away on the backhand side, Fed knows he can't attack on the backhand side that much. That in turn puts more pressure on Fed's forehand, and you've seen in recent matches against Nadal it's buckled from Fed, in part, knowing he has to be able to take control with the forehand all the time.