PDA

View Full Version : Rules on forfeiting a line in a USTA match

Blask
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Okay, in our spring league we play 2 singles lines and 3 doubles lines. This week due to a lot of people being out of town and college graduations we have to forfeit a line.

I know you can't forfeit #1 singles instead of #2 singles.

However, are you allowed to forfeit #2 singles instead of #3 doubles? Or do you have to default the lowest possible line?

Thanks!

CrocodileRock
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
#2 singles and #3 doubles are both the lowest possible. Forfeit either one you want, but if you have seven guys, you might want to forfeit the singles so that the seven guys can still play. Vice versa if you only have six.

Blask
05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, let me add one more wrinkle

The home captain has 7 people, so he wants to forfeit a singles match

We have only 6 available so we want to forfeit #3 doubles so all 6 can still play. If we forfeit a single match then we can only use 5 guys (#1 singles and #1 and 2 doubles).

what happens if they default a singles, we give them a doubles line, then do we just play best of 3 matches?

Cindysphinx
05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
There are two options, I think.

Either you and the other captain get together and agree on what you're going to do (which would be forfeit No. 3 doubles).

Or you just prepare your line-ups independently, with you forfeiting No. 3 doubles and them forfeiting No. 2 singles. That means you'll start the team match at 1-1, and the chips will fall where they may.

Blask
05-15-2009, 03:17 PM
If we do mutually agree to forfeit #3 doubles and play best of 4 matches - what happens if we tie 2-2. Is there a tiebreak procedure?

Cindysphinx
05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
That comes down to your local rules.

Our local rules do not address that. I would not agree to playing just four matches, with a double-default on the fifth court. That's just asking for trouble!

Unless your local rules have a clear method to resolve it, I wouldn't chance it, personally.

JavierLW
05-15-2009, 03:39 PM
If we do mutually agree to forfeit #3 doubles and play best of 4 matches - what happens if we tie 2-2. Is there a tiebreak procedure?

It wouldnt matter in our league because individual matches count, not team wins.

Usually in most rules if they thought about it far enough ahead, the team with the least sets lost and then the least games lost wins in the case of a individual match tie.

Tennislink will pick a winner for the night that way anyway whether your local league made rules for it or not. Your coordinator would have to go in and manually change it if they wanted to do something different.

(sort of how like Tennislink will show that the team with the most team wins is in first place, but in our leagues it's misleading because some team that is visually 2nd or even 3rd could be the real champions)

amarone
05-16-2009, 05:12 PM
There are two options, I think.

Either you and the other captain get together and agree on what you're going to do (which would be forfeit No. 3 doubles).

Or you just prepare your line-ups independently, with you forfeiting No. 3 doubles and them forfeiting No. 2 singles. That means you'll start the team match at 1-1, and the chips will fall where they may. This is mostly it, but there is one other option - if your local rules allow it. You could forfeit 1 and 2 singles, and then all your 6 players get to play. However, it would be bizarre to do that and start 0-1 down with three to play.

I would tell him you are forfeiting 3 doubles as any other option requires you to forfeit 2 lines.

Cindysphinx
05-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, you could do that. I had a team do that with us this season. Forfeited both singles courts. None of the six women who did show up looked like they would do well at singles, so it was probably the right call for that captain to make. We swept the doubles, though, so we won all five lines.

Blask
05-16-2009, 06:33 PM
well, I offered for us to mutually agree to double default #3 doubles and then play best of 4. This would allow the most number of people to compete (6). The other captain said no and said he would prefer to play best of 3 (i lose #3 doubles, he loses #2 singles). We'll see how it goes.