PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Match of My Life

Liv3 For It
05-15-2009, 06:47 PM
On Monday, May 18th, my high school team will be competing for the South Jersey Final. It is a state tournament and if we win, we will be the best team in SJ. Then we will continue to go on to play for the entire state or NJ.

Anyways, I am playing doubles with my brother. Our number 1 and number 2 singles are garenteed wins. They will definately not lose. That means that we have three chances to get a win to win SJ. I play first doubles.

However, the rest of the team is the favorite to win. We have played them once before and lost 3-2. The biggest chance for us to win is my doubles.

So basically, If I win, the team wins, and we win SJ. Pressure? nah.....jk.

I think that it will be the biggest match of my life on Monday and I have to win.

What are your thoughts on this?

I know only a little bit of information on the doubles team we are playing. I heard that they like to cram the net and leave an open space on alleys and are prone to lobs. Basically, they want to force you to hit down the alley and pass them.

Any help/tips are appreciated.....I better win:)

TennisCoachFLA
05-15-2009, 07:11 PM
You should not change a thing.....whatever got you guys this far is obviously working.

The only advice anyone could give you at this late date is simple....stop saying "I have to win". No one can control whether they win or not, maybe the other team has its best match ever, maybe your brother gets sick this weekend, maybe you guys have the best match ever and blow them off the court....who knows.

Change "I have to win" to "I have to control what I can control....getting enough rest this weekend, eating a proper prematch meal, warming up properly, making adjustments as the match progresses."

Take the pressure off by only worrying about what you CAN control. The outcome of the match is going to be what it will be.

tenniscrazed
05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
You should not change a thing.....whatever got you guys this far is obviously working.

The only advice anyone could give you at this late date is simple....stop saying "I have to win". No one can control whether they win or not, maybe the other team has its best match ever, maybe your brother gets sick this weekend, maybe you guys have the best match ever and blow them off the court....who knows.

Change "I have to win" to "I have to control what I can control....getting enough rest this weekend, eating a proper prematch meal, warming up properly, making adjustments as the match progresses."

Take the pressure off by only worrying about what you CAN control. The outcome of the match is going to be what it will be.

With all due respect to all posters. This is the best advise on the internet. Not to inflate your ego TCF. But it is very sage advise. Tennis has way too many things beyond a singles players control much less dubs especially if you guys play two up / two back dubs. If you play one up / one back there is a little more you can control but it's very defensive style and the odds don't favor you. Listen to TCF it's some of the best advise I've read.

iamgoat
05-15-2009, 07:49 PM

No, the outcome of the match is what YOU make it be.

TennisCoachFLA
05-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Not true at all. Sometimes the other player or team plays out of their minds for one game or match, sometimes you get injured, sometimes the other player is just better.....lots of things go into wins and losses.

No offense, but you are wrong. I suggest you research what Michael Jordan, Phil Jackson, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods, John Wooden have all said.

They have all said that all you can do is prepare properly, adjust during the competition, and give 100% effort.....many times that is enough to win....sometimes it simply is not. Stop and think......Pete Sampras.....did he ever lose?? Hmmm....I thought the outcome was what YOU make it to be. The days he lost did he not want the outcome to be a win??

Tennis_Maniac
05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I play in the North Jersey section, and I had the same thing happen to me. You just gotta go into the game with a strong mental game. You should also go out and hit A LOT this weekend to spruce up some of your problems. Also, I play doubles too (very similar situation). Make sure you and your brother work on cutting off the middle of the court when you two are up at net. Don't be afraid to go out and attack the heck out of the ball!

TennisPassion5
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
You go to Lenape right? But yeah, you guys will 100% beat Cherry Hill East. Nikola is a stud and your number 2 is very good also. You guys should win fairly easily.

a_2c+
05-16-2009, 07:57 PM
throw in a tennis party day before the game.

guaranteed way to make yourself nervous. :P (actually, i am not too sure, lol)

iamgoat
05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Not true at all. Sometimes the other player or team plays out of their minds for one game or match, sometimes you get injured, sometimes the other player is just better.....lots of things go into wins and losses.

No offense, but you are wrong. I suggest you research what Michael Jordan, Phil Jackson, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods, John Wooden have all said.

They have all said that all you can do is prepare properly, adjust during the competition, and give 100% effort.....many times that is enough to win....sometimes it simply is not. Stop and think......Pete Sampras.....did he ever lose?? Hmmm....I thought the outcome was what YOU make it to be. The days he lost did he not want the outcome to be a win??

thanks for the obvious. the fact is, the OP can make all the difference. the team is completely different without michael jordan, phil jackson, peyton manning etc because they all made a huge difference.

canadave
05-16-2009, 10:09 PM
thanks for the obvious. the fact is, the OP can make all the difference. the team is completely different without michael jordan, phil jackson, peyton manning etc because they all made a huge difference.

You're missing the point here...

Yes, of course, the OP will make a difference in whether his team wins or loses. But his question was, "what advice can you all give me." TennisCoachFLA's advice was excellent advice: namely, to relax, not worry about what's out of his control. In other words, if the OP simply plays as well as he can that day, that's all he can reasonably be expected to do. Whether that's good enough to win--who knows? But the point is, he won't have MORE chance to win by WORRYING about whether or not he's going to win.

All any of us can do is play as well as we can.

I'll just add, OP: if I were you, I wouldn't be thinking "our #1 and #2 singles are guaranteed wins." That's either disrespectful to their opponents, wishful thinking, or counting your chickens before they're hatched--take your pick. Again, all you should be doing is concentrating on your own game, without thinking ahead with "what if" scenarios ("What if #1 and #2 win, and it's all up to me?" "What if they lose and I have to save the day?").

Just play your best, enjoy the experience, win graciously, and lose with dignity. That's all any tennis player can hope to do, ever--from the beginner just picking up a racquet, all the way up to Federer or Nadal.

TennisCoachFLA
05-17-2009, 09:25 AM
You're missing the point here...

Yes, of course, the OP will make a difference in whether his team wins or loses. But his question was, "what advice can you all give me." TennisCoachFLA's advice was excellent advice: namely, to relax, not worry about what's out of his control. In other words, if the OP simply plays as well as he can that day, that's all he can reasonably be expected to do. Whether that's good enough to win--who knows? But the point is, he won't have MORE chance to win by WORRYING about whether or not he's going to win.

All any of us can do is play as well as we can.

I'll just add, OP: if I were you, I wouldn't be thinking "our #1 and #2 singles are guaranteed wins." That's either disrespectful to their opponents, wishful thinking, or counting your chickens before they're hatched--take your pick. Again, all you should be doing is concentrating on your own game, without thinking ahead with "what if" scenarios ("What if #1 and #2 win, and it's all up to me?" "What if they lose and I have to save the day?").

Just play your best, enjoy the experience, win graciously, and lose with dignity. That's all any tennis player can hope to do, ever--from the beginner just picking up a racquet, all the way up to Federer or Nadal.

Great post, it is obvious that the poster just did not get the point. You mentioning Federer and Nadal is a great example. Nadal owns clay, he 'should' have won the Madrid final today. He prepared well and was playing Federer, who Nadal has owned lately. But what happened? Fed had an easy semi and Nadal had a grueling semi vs an opponent who played his best tennis. Nadal went into the finals exhausted. So Federer won.

Nadal controlled everything possible...except his semi opponent playing him super tough and making shots he rarely makes. His semi opponent wore him out, an unexpected event.

Thats all there is to competition.....you can not control who wins and who loses, outside factors are everywhere. You can only control your preparation, adjustments, and effort.

iamgoat
05-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Great post, it is obvious that the poster just did not get the point. You mentioning Federer and Nadal is a great example. Nadal owns clay, he 'should' have won the Madrid final today. He prepared well and was playing Federer, who Nadal has owned lately. But what happened? Fed had an easy semi and Nadal had a grueling semi vs an opponent who played his best tennis. Nadal went into the finals exhausted. So Federer won.

Nadal controlled everything possible...except his semi opponent playing him super tough and making shots he rarely makes. His semi opponent wore him out, an unexpected event.

Thats all there is to competition.....you can not control who wins and who loses, outside factors are everywhere. You can only control your preparation, adjustments, and effort.

sounds like excuses from a poor nadal fan.

canadave
05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Wow...are you paying any attention at all to what other people post? :rolleyes:

The person's last post was, again, a point about how outcomes of matches are unpredictable--using the Nadal/Fed match as an example of how a favourite in a match isn't guaranteed to win (which relates to the OP's topic). Instead of refuting that argument (do you know what refuting means?), you say "sounds like excuses from a nadal fan." Do you realize how silly that makes you sound? Why don't you address the man's argument, rather than spouting off with petty insults?

iamgoat
05-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Ok. His argument is that Nadal controlled everything except a super tough semi opponent who wore him out.

Sure, thats true in hindsight. But what if Nadal had won the first set and the second? I guarantee you, he could have played better. For Sure. He could have won it much faster and therefore be more fresh for the final. And that, he controlled.

TennisCoachFLA
05-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok. His argument is that Nadal controlled everything except a super tough semi opponent who wore him out.

Sure, thats true in hindsight. But what if Nadal had won the first set and the second? I guarantee you, he could have played better. For Sure. He could have won it much faster and therefore be more fresh for the final. And that, he controlled.

I will listen to Woods, Jordan, and Wooden about winning, losing, and controlling what you can control rather than concentrating on whether you will win or lose a specific event.

You are free to listen to whoever you would like.

canadave
05-18-2009, 11:01 AM

Thank you, I appreciate your dispensing with the offhand comments and actually discussing the point at hand.

Now, to your point. I'm a little confused about the bits where you talk about Nadal winning the 1st and 2nd sets so he'd be "more fresh for the final." Are you talking about his semifinal, or the final? Also, you say "that, he controlled." Is "that" the final, or the semifinal? I'd be hard-pressed to see how he "controlled" the final, given that he lost.

Anyhow, the bottom line is: we can assume Nadal played as well as he could on that particular day. Note that this is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from saying "he played as well as he could." Obviously, on clay, Nadal can play (and has played) much better. But all he can do on ANY given day is go out there, pick up a racquet, try as hard as he can, hit the ball as well as he possibly can, and hope that he wins.

On most days, on clay especially, that will be enough to win. But occasionally, if he's tired, or if his opponent plays very well, or if aliens land, or whatever....he loses, DESPITE playing at whatever level he played at.

And that's the point we're trying to make to the OP. All you can do is try to play as well as you can possibly play, on any given day. There's no sense worrying about how well the other guy is going to play, or what the weather's going to be like, or whether your teammates are going to win their matches. These are things that are OUT OF YOUR CONTROL (well, maybe you could dress appropriately for the weather...THAT, I guess, is in your control. But hopefully you see my point.) You can only control how well YOU play, and not worry about all the other things.

Unless you can somehow convince me that worrying about things out of your control CAN somehow help you win an important match?

TennisCoachFLA
05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I found this post from another thread from a poster named jb193. I thought it sums it up perfectly.

"Going back to the "Inner Game of Tennis", only concern yourself with things that you can control. You can control your effort. You can control whether you focus on the ball. You can control your footwork. You can control whether you are bending your legs. Focus on that and the other stuff will take care of itself.

You can't control your opponent, however, so you can't really control winning can you? You can't control whether he gets 3 let balls in 3 games that decide those games. You can't control whether he serves perfectly for a 4-5 game stretch... Again, only concern yourself with things you can control.

And if my opponent plays great for a 4-5 game stretch, I say good for them....."

ClarkC
05-18-2009, 08:30 PM

Great attitude! Now, let's see you take that attitude out onto the red clay of Roland Garros against Nadal. No excuses. No "He was playing too well for me to beat." Just get it done. The outcome of the match is what You, iamgoat, make it to be. The other guy's performance is irrelevant.

The French Open starts soon, so be prepared.

tennislife22
05-18-2009, 11:08 PM
let us know how it went

iamgoat
05-18-2009, 11:12 PM
let us know how it went

i won 6-4 6-4. hit an ace on the match point.

tennislife22
05-18-2009, 11:20 PM

congrats, thats awesome

TourTenor
05-19-2009, 11:24 AM
It stands to reason that the GOAT is not 16 years old!