PDA

View Full Version : tennisrecruiting vs. berecruited

joshburger
05-16-2009, 11:03 AM
i am currently using the free version of both of these websites. which one do u think is a betetr purchase, i am a sophmore in high school and i want to play college tennis at a weaker school. tennisrecruiting is 50 dollars a year and berecruited is a one time fee of 40 dollars. does anyone have experiances with these websites??

TennisTaxi
05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
tennisrecruiting.net for "tennis" is 1000% better than berecruited.net. My son is using both sites as a paid recruit, he has had tremendous response from TRN and not one from bererecruited.net. He even e-mailed berecruited.net because he hasn't received a response and has one of the strongest tennis resumes on the site, I don't think many tennis coaches go there so for tennis purposes don't waste your money on berecruited.net...go with TRN.

dallasoliver
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
My name is Dallas Oliver, and I work with TennisRecruiting.net (TRN). I am obviously not without bias here, but let me give my view as to how and why TRN is different from other services.

When we looked around at various recruiting websites, we lumped all the sites out there into two broad categories:

(1) services that provide advice or circulate resumes, and
(2) services that are "shared databases" where players upload information for coaches to read.

The TRN website would fall into class (2). But we think TRN is unique in a couple of ways:

- With articles, rankings, player profile pages, and other content, TRN is a website that the tennis community often visits. TRN has a lot more visitors, and those visitors visit TRN regularly... and players/parents often update their information. People just don't visit those other websites with any regularity.

- TRN does not rely solely on information that players enter. With player records and rankings for tens of thousands of players, coaches visit TRN even to research players that have not updated their profiles. Most other websites have a chicken-and-egg problem: until there is information for a substantial number of players, coaches do not use the service... but players will not enter their information if there are not many coaches using the service.

Since players do not have to pay to use TRN - and since our community is so large - more tennis players and parents use TRN than any other website. More than 13,000 players have updated their profiles with information for college coaches... 13,000! When we were researching other websites, we found that the majority of sites had fewer than 100 tennis players. A website may say that it has a couple thousand athletes, but those athletes are divided among the 22 different sports the NCAA sponsors.

We have been doing this since 2005, and the snowball effect is now significant. There are more than 1,000 college coaches who have accounts at TRN - and more than 600 coaches pay to use its Coaching Advantage service. Having more coaches leads to more players entering information... which leads to more coaches... etc., etc., etc.

Our goal has always been to provide a service that is useful to players even with a free account... and to provide a good enough premium paid product to get people to want to upgrade. That revenue allows us to make a living spending our time and money to provide a first-class product that is the envy of other sports (outside of football and basketball, of course).

Well... that's enough rambling. We hope that you find our website useful and informative... and that you find the Recruiting Advantage features too good a deal to pass up!

Best regards,
Dallas

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
05-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Dallas-

I would like to offer a testimony to those thinking about subscription to TR-

Don't waste your money-

Take the YEAR'S PRICE ! (a great deal) and put the one-month subscription money toward's the year- ESPECIALLY. if you are in your Junior (HS year), it would cover your whole selection time.

I took a month for curiosity sake- To see if any coaches looked, and you would not believe the visits/hits- That sent a lot of mail flying both ways. You can do this yourself- A little planning and desire, and you can tell those bloodsucker scholarship "help" businesses go blow.

Coaches all start with "I saw your profile on TENNISRECRUITING".....

Signed up two more months-One at a time, and realized I could have put that $21 bucks 1/2 way toward a year subscription by then....

Marketing "hook"idea
Maybe offer a week- or advertise you will open for 1 DAY or 4 HOURS to everyone; Once they see it players will become absolutely addicted.

joshburger
05-17-2009, 06:05 AM
^ it seems to me that it was a positive experiance. you got a lot of hits by coaches and you were contacted by a lot of coaches..... what was the problem?

05-17-2009, 07:10 AM
^ Sorry I was not clear to everyone

The "problem" was I kept hitting "monthly subscriptions" and I SHOULD have bought a year's worth right after figuring out how good the service is.....

3 months x at $7= $21
while a whole year is only $50 to start
(They could charge $100 and get it)

Buy the whole year right when you are in the "critical" JR/SR year(s)
and save big.

roddick_rulz
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
How exactly does tennistrecruiting help one to get a scholarship?

05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
^ It is just a tool, you actually have to do your OWN work.

There are a lot of ways, (besides your exposure on the site)-Like a 12 gadget camp knife, but you kind of have to be inventive...

One Example how I've used this TOOL-

1. Find which schools are more along the lines of what I am looking for.
2. Pull up WEBSITE of schools tennis team- SEARCH MEN'S TENNIS "U of xxx"
3. Copy the names of the Freshmen (Fr.) and Sophmores (So.) because they are the most recent.
4. Back into TENNISRECRUITING SITE- LOOK UP names on TENNISRECRUITING
5. See if you are in that caliber of player- Compare them to your numbers- A cold awakening
6. IF YES, write to coach- IF NO, move along to the next college on your list

TENNISRECRUITING allows you to see every DI, DII, DIII, JUCO available
BUT
It won't hold your hand or blow smoke up your skirt about how "special" you are-that's the expensive "recruitng help" businesses-

AND remember to use a simple rule of thumb for selecting candidates.... School first, Coach second, money third.

And if you are NOT sure you understand about the reality of having no life on campus in exchange for 1/4 ride-
READ submissions by COACH CARTER on this college section (and no, please don't ask how to do that, now).
He has copied some good N.Y. Times articles about minor sports- Like unrealistic expectations concerning the amounts offered, to the amount of time committments, to grades suffering from travel, no freinds outside teams etc.

Of all the experiences, of all the Majors offered- "Tennis" isn't one of them- It's just a means to an end... In most cases just helps get your application from the middle of the pile toward the top. If you don't have great grades- A complete "package" including grant, work/study and scholarship possibilities/ knowledge- Tennis isn't the solution to shortcomings, sorry- You aren't making them any money, so you can't expect the same ideas about scholarships.

tenniscrazed
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
TRN by far is the best for the same, less or more money. However you must be careful with any database. What goes in is what comes out. For example, Adult Open events will not be included, futures qualies are not included, events off US soil are not included. Yet many college coaches are looking for players with this type of experience.

Junior events of all levels are included. Head to Head ranking is what is used. So in the end it provides the best "all around". I think the best advise is you will get out of it what you put into it.

05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
TRN by far is the best for the same, less or more money. However you must be careful with any database. What goes in is what comes out. For example, Adult Open events will not be included, futures qualies are not included, events off US soil are not included. Yet many college coaches are looking for players with this type of experience.

Junior events of all levels are included. Head to Head ranking is what is used. So in the end it provides the best "all around". I think the best advise is you will get out of it what you put into it.

^ Lets summarize and call it what it is- TR does not track foreign players.
Yet a lot of coaches hire only older (former pro event circuit) foreign players;
That is a crappy result of them wanting to eat, and stay employed.

You couldn't break in to one of those teams anyway, so I have exempted them from school searches right off the bat.

ClarkC
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM

In that case, the player adds info about his stunning successes in adult open and foreign ITF events onto his tennisrecruiting.net web page. Then every coach who visits the page will read all about it.

Even the limitations of the site are not much of a limitation when it comes to being recruited.

05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
^ Just like I mentioned, the site is a TOOL... Like a twelve way swiss army knife- You just have to "McGyver" it a little.

T10s747
05-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Tennisrecruiting is well worth it @ $50. You can see who is interested in you and how often they visit your profile.

05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
- Rubbing the "Dallas" lamp (once again) -

The results from Holidays... Like Memorial Day just completed & boy's ranking list when it has the same "cut off", when do those results get "caught up"- The next weeks run?

Is it pretty automatic, or should each subscriber watch their files especially hard those few times when the two intersect (Final tournament day and report cutoff)?

dallasoliver
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
The results from Holidays... Like Memorial Day just completed & boy's ranking list when it has the same "cut off", when do those results get "caught up"- The next weeks run?

Good question. Here is how we do things... (It's more information than you asked for, but I'm sure you'll find it at least a bit interesting.)

Sundays and Mondays are crazy data-processing days for us. We try to get as much data as we can by late Sunday night and then cut things off. If results are not available by, say, 9pm on Sunday night, then those results will not make it into this week's rankings. We spend the remainder of Sunday night and Monday morning doing sanity checks on the data.

Monday and Tuesday are ranking days for us. Starting around noon on Monday, we calculate the boys' rankings for the week (CRL published on Tuesday and RPI on Thursday), while Tuesday we run the girls' rankings (CRL published on Wednesday and RPI on Friday). Note that the data available on Sunday night is the data we use for the entire week (i.e., the four rankings published Tuesday through Friday). The TennisRPI rankings at the end of the week do not use any additional data.

Results that are not available before our cutoff (e.g., the last couple rounds of a Memorial Day tournament that are not available until Monday evening) will be used in the following week's rankings.

We encourage players to keep track of their player record throughout the year and contact us (support@tennisrecruiting.net) if there are any errors. We also make full player records available to players in the summer right before we calculate the Top Prospects ratings (i.e., the "stars") so that we get the data in as good a shape as possible.

As always, I hope this helps.

Best,
Dallas

killR4hand
07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
- TRN does not rely solely on information that players enter. With player records and rankings for tens of thousands of players, coaches visit TRN even to research players that have not updated their profiles.
Whenever I come across a profile that looks like the player has not updated their profile but there's a college of interest listed it makes me wonder. I wonder if the college maybe taking advantage of that neglected profile and essentially using that player's page as a billboard to advertise their school. :twisted:
I mean if the player profile is not updated then who is there to remove a false interest planted by some college. :lol: It may be just a shameless promotion by that college to raise its own profile by misleading viewers of TRN into thinking that a top player has that college as one of their final choices.

Ex. I heard from a reliable source that girls 2010 blue chip Kaitlyn Christian had given a verbal to USC months ago. Yet on her TRN page there is a listed high interest in Syracuse which I don't believe to be one of her final college choices for a second.

Last year I saw girls 2009 blue chip Julia Boserup at one time had a high interest in Syracuse listed on her page. I found that to be strange but even believed it for a while and my opinion of the Syracuse's women's program went up because I thought they were getting Boserup's consideration. But when I read Boserup wanted to take time off to try the pros I realized that the interest in Syracuse may have been planted. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I didn't get fooled twice with Christian.

stanfordtennis alum
07-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Tennisrecruiting is by far the better site.. great site to connect with college coaches

SoCal10s
07-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Ex. I heard from a reliable source that girls 2010 blue chip Kaitlyn Christian had given a verbal to USC months ago. Yet on her TRN page there is a listed high interest in Syracuse which I don't believe to be one of her final college choices for a second.
I didn't get fooled twice with Christian.

KC fools around wearing all different colleges shirts with their logos on them ,but believe me,she's a USC girl...

ClarkC
07-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Whenever I come across a profile that looks like the player has not updated their profile but there's a college of interest listed it makes me wonder. I wonder if the college maybe taking advantage of that neglected profile and essentially using that player's page as a billboard to advertise their school. (assorted drivel deleted)

None of your paranoid conspiracy theory is possible, because a college cannot indicate that a player has interest in that college. Only the player can log in and edit the player's profile.

Some players don't bother to edit their profiles when they narrow their choices down, so their list of schools of interest is long and outdated. But the colleges cannot add themselves to the list.

killR4hand
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
ClarkC you should get the facts before you comment.

A coach CAN add their school to a player's profile.

Particular schools have been known to add themselves to a player's profile only to have the player take them down the next day. lol

ClarkC
07-10-2009, 05:31 PM
ClarkC you should get the facts before you comment.

A coach CAN add their school to a player's profile.

Particular schools have been known to add themselves to a player's profile only to have the player take them down the next day. lol

Document these "facts."

killR4hand
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Document these "facts."
Sorry, but the burden of proof is on you to make your case. Next time maybe do your homework 1st before trying to refute another poster. :oops:

ClarkC
07-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Sorry, but the burden of proof is on you to make your case. Next time maybe do your homework 1st before trying to refute another poster. :oops:

The tennisrecruiting site lists the advantages of the Coaching Advantage membership. Being able to alter a player's page is not listed. Given that it would be upsettign for players to find their own pages altered by someone else, making it an unlikely way to run a business, the burden of proof is on the one making the strange claim.

dallasoliver
07-11-2009, 10:34 AM
TennisRecruiting.net gets information about commitments and leanings comes from three different sources:

(1) Players can update their profile pages with schools of interest, visit dates, commitments, etc. This is the most common way we get information. There are more than 2,500 unique rising seniors with accounts linked to their profile pages... and we are on a nice upward trend, getting more participation from players and parents each year over year.

(2) Our staff monitors college press releases, daily newspapers, and other reputable publications for information - updating the profiles as appropriate.

(3) College coaches and sports information directors often send us information about commitments.

(4) College coaches have the ability to maintain their team rosters - which includes their current recruiting class.

NCAA rules prohibit (3) and (4) for players who have not signed an NLI.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Dallas

ClarkC
07-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Dallas. It does not sound like a college coach can just edit a player's profile to say "High interest in Western Valley State" or "Medium interest in Tech."

Unless, of course, the player posts his password and login. :)

SoCal10s
07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Dallas: how come some of your blue chip ranks are lower than the 5 stars rank players and what does the 5 stars player has to do to earn the blue chip rankings ?

ClarkC
07-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Dallas: how come some of your blue chip ranks are lower than the 5 stars rank players and what does the 5 stars player has to do to earn the blue chip rankings ?

Star ratings are updated once a year, which has been discussed here in several threads. So, if you are blue chip on about October 1, you stay that way for a year. During that year, your numerical ranking might decline, and others might improve and pass you up, but the blue chip/5-star/4-star etc. designations don't change from week to week.

Tennisstringz
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
My name is Dallas Oliver, and I work with TennisRecruiting.net (TRN). I am obviously not without bias here, but let me give my view as to how and why TRN is different from other services.

When we looked around at various recruiting websites, we lumped all the sites out there into two broad categories:

(1) services that provide advice or circulate resumes, and
(2) services that are "shared databases" where players upload information for coaches to read.

The TRN website would fall into class (2). But we think TRN is unique in a couple of ways:

- With articles, rankings, player profile pages, and other content, TRN is a website that the tennis community often visits. TRN has a lot more visitors, and those visitors visit TRN regularly... and players/parents often update their information. People just don't visit those other websites with any regularity.

- TRN does not rely solely on information that players enter. With player records and rankings for tens of thousands of players, coaches visit TRN even to research players that have not updated their profiles. Most other websites have a chicken-and-egg problem: until there is information for a substantial number of players, coaches do not use the service... but players will not enter their information if there are not many coaches using the service.

Since players do not have to pay to use TRN - and since our community is so large - more tennis players and parents use TRN than any other website. More than 13,000 players have updated their profiles with information for college coaches... 13,000! When we were researching other websites, we found that the majority of sites had fewer than 100 tennis players. A website may say that it has a couple thousand athletes, but those athletes are divided among the 22 different sports the NCAA sponsors.

We have been doing this since 2005, and the snowball effect is now significant. There are more than 1,000 college coaches who have accounts at TRN - and more than 600 coaches pay to use its Coaching Advantage service. Having more coaches leads to more players entering information... which leads to more coaches... etc., etc., etc.

Our goal has always been to provide a service that is useful to players even with a free account... and to provide a good enough premium paid product to get people to want to upgrade. That revenue allows us to make a living spending our time and money to provide a first-class product that is the envy of other sports (outside of football and basketball, of course).

Well... that's enough rambling. We hope that you find our website useful and informative... and that you find the Recruiting Advantage features too good a deal to pass up!

Best regards,
Dallas
TRN is great, but this is what else is needed:

ITFs played. These go nowhere into your ranking.

A list of how many tennis scholarships a college has to offer overall.

I have a girl who around #75 nationally and a four star as a rising junior. The only ones looking at her are DIII and NAIA. A smattering of D1s look at her a couple of times. What does it take to be noticed?

andfor
06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

I have a girl who around #75 nationally and a four star as a rising junior. The only ones looking at her are DIII and NAIA. A smattering of D1s look at her a couple of times. What does it take to be noticed?

Have your player proactively call, email and mail with their interest to schools and coaches. Have a big list and be open to many options.

dallasoliver
06-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Many ITFs do figure in. Check our FAQ:

http://tennisrecruiting.net/faq/rankings.asp#Rankings-J

We include all ITFs played on U.S. soil - as well as ITFs played internationally that have a minimum number of U.S. players.

This is one of many things that would make our website better. However, this is indeed something on our radar. Since it is not in our wheelhouse, it will take some time, though.

I have two thoughts here...

- First and foremost: kids who are successful at getting through to coaches initiate contact. All of them. Period. Even highly-ranked players like yours. Yes, I suppose the Top 5 or 10 players get wooed, but coaches initiating contact is more rare than you think.

- For TRN, there are many players ranked lower than your player that have had visits from all levels, including D-I. Those that are most successful are active on TRN - updating schools of interest, academic areas of interest, etc. Adding that information will put you on more coaches' lists. Coaches have the ability to create custom lists, e.g., players who are interested in D-I schools... or players with at least a 2.5 GPA... etc. If you don't update your schools of interest or academic information, you are simply left off of those lists.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Dallas

JLyon
06-25-2012, 08:53 AM

It takes your player initiating contact. Do not expect coaches to come to you, you need to woo the coaches and not expect anything to be easy. Put time and effort into the process. Coaches have limited hours to recruit and many times will not go down lists looking for a player outside of Blue chip and some 5*'s