PDA

View Full Version : Who has the mosts slickest / easy on the eye playing style in the modern game????

Tennis_Maestro
05-16-2009, 11:45 AM
For me its a close call between Federer and Verdasco, i don't know what others think.

Love the way Federer runs around his forehand, even tho his backhand has been extremely ineffective recently you've just got to admire the fluidness with which he hits it, its almost like a table tennis backhand.

I almost forgot Gasguet, another guy with beautiful feel of the tennis ball.

TheTruth
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Rafael Nadal and Tommy Haas.

Rafa because he has incredible balance and always seems in control of his body. Even when he lunges his upper body and limbs seem to be under control. His swings are compact and so precise.

Haas also has extreme body control and never looks uncomfortable on court.

aphex
05-16-2009, 11:51 AM
federer and not just in the modern game.

ever.

JeMar
05-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Federer and Gasquet are obvious, but Tsonga's game is also pretty darn smooth when he's on. The way he moves up the court is incredible.

gj011
05-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Djokovic of course.

Federer if you think shanks and forehand errors are smooth.

Serve_Ace
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
^Bleh no need to say that about Federer

edberg505
05-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Wasn't there a thread like this already? Anyways, I said it once and I'll say it again Michael Stich.

^Bleh no need to say that about Federer

LOL, it's nothing new. In fact it's sorta expected now.

Cenc
05-16-2009, 11:58 AM
federer
of course

Tennis_Maestro
05-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Rafa because he has incredible balance and always seems in control of his body. Even when he lunges his upper body and limbs seem to be under control. His swings are compact and so precise.

Interesting take on Nadal. Imo thats swaying more towards good technical sides to his game rather than how aesthetically pleasing it is. Its also not effortless enough for me, thats just my opinion.

I agree about Hass.

Tennis_Maestro
05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Djokovic of course.

Federer if you think shanks and forehand errors are smooth.

Even as the anti-Federer campaigner that you are, can you still not atleast recognise he has a massively appealing style to his play.

Recent consistencies of unforced errors and weird mishits do not take away from the elegance he has in his game, especially pre 2008.

Tennis_Maestro
05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Wasn't there a thread like this already? Anyways, I said it once and I'll say it again Michael Stich.

LOL, it's nothing new. In fact it's sorta expected now.

Modern day player.

35ft6
05-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Petr Korda, Stich and Guga were pretty slick. Loved watching Rios when he was on. Fed has a pretty game but his shanktastic backhand kind of ruins it, and his serve isn't the loveliest. Murray has a very pretty game and in general, like with dancing, the skinny guys with the best "lines" look the best. Davydenko is a sickly looking person, but his game is really lovely. Just so clean.

TheTruth
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Interesting take on Nadal. Imo thats swaying more towards good technical sides to his game rather than how aesthetically pleasing it is. Its also not effortless enough for me, thats just my opinion.

I agree about Hass.

That's what's aesthetically pleasing to me. I don't like to see players who don't look in control of their bodies. You can especially see it on replays. For me it's the difference between Serena and Venus, Serena has much more body control and even looks good in replays, whereas Venus lunges and looks awkward.

Oh, and I forgot Sampras. His game was very easy on the eyes.

Maybe, even without a replay I see the fluidity, the replay confirms it.

Nadal_Freak
05-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Nadal by far. Great forehand. :D

Cenc
05-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Nadal by far. Great forehand. :D

....................... seems that ur the only one who thinks that

VivalaVida
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Djokovic or Federer when he isnt shanking.

Nadal_Freak
05-16-2009, 12:18 PM
That's their loss if they don't like that style of play.

edberg505
05-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Modern day player.

Hmm, well then I'm going with Tsonga. I'm trying to pick someone other than Federer because well I know Federer will be the obvious answer choice. But as Justin Gimelstob says, "Tsonga has liquid power."

bizarre_opinion
05-16-2009, 12:21 PM

you sure about that? have you seen rafa's backhand slice? Everytime he plays that shot, he looks like he's going to fall over.

Tennis_Maestro
05-16-2009, 12:27 PM
That's what's aesthetically pleasing to me. I don't like to see players who don't look in control of their bodies. You can especially see it on replays. For me it's the difference between Serena and Venus, Serena has much more body control and even looks good in replays, whereas Venus lunges and looks awkward.

Oh, and I forgot Sampras. His game was very easy on the eyes.

Maybe, even without a replay I see the fluidity, the replay confirms it.

Fair enough. I like Nadal's on the run passing shots down the line and the way they curl past the player.

Yeah, Sampras was slick as well, his trademark slam dunk smash was top draw.

OliverSimon
05-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Fabrice Santoro!

BreakPoint
05-16-2009, 12:35 PM

That's a joke, right? Nadal's strokes are "compact"?

Nadal plays tennis like he's in the process of giving birth to triplets. There's nothing smooth about his game. It's all maximum physical exertion. :shock:

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Fabrice Santoro!

+1

He was truly magic. I wish he was a better athlete though, because his magical shots+better athleticism= top 10er, maybe a constant rival against Federer.

Tennis_Maestro
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
His shots are precise, dunno about his techniques lol

deltox
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
monfils by a long shot for me

zagor
05-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Fed,Tsonga,Gasquet and Nalbo(when he's on)for me.

Cenc
05-16-2009, 02:38 PM
That's their loss if they don't like that style of play.

why doesnt this response surprise me?

shadows
05-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Whilst it's a bit predictable, an on form Federer is a joy to watch. He just makes everything look effortless, there's no one smoother in the mens game.

regarding the mentions of Tsonga, I'd say at times his game is very easy on the eye, but sometimes he gets a bit clunky in his movement and that detracts from things.

Gasquet has a very pretty game, though the forehand dissapoints at times.

Nadal_Freak
05-16-2009, 03:02 PM
why doesnt this response surprise me?
How would I be a fan if I didn't like his style of play. Occasionally he gets too defensive but his forehand is a thing of beauty when it's on.

Pushmaster
05-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Berdych has the smoothest serve.

bizarre_opinion
05-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Occasionally he gets too defensive but his forehand is a thing of beauty when it's on.

Buhahahahaha

maddogz32
05-16-2009, 03:20 PM
even though my favorite player is nadal. i think djokovics playing style is the easiest on the eye because his form is so good, and he hits the ball so well, i love to watch him play

BreakPoint
05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
How would I be a fan if I didn't like his style of play. Occasionally he gets too defensive but his forehand is a thing of beauty when it's on.
You mean Nadal's forehand looks like he's going to knock himself out cold with his racquet on every follow-through. :lol: LOL

<3tennis!!!
05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
fed by a country mile.............and a half

Nadal_Freak
05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Well thanks Miyagi. One of the only people I agree with. I prefer Progressive Rock and that's underground. I'm used to the underground position. :P

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 05:55 PM
^Bleh no need to say that about Federer He is a troll, something would be wrong if he didn't say that.

Federer for obvious reasons and as someone said before, best to watch of all-time.

Mansewerz
05-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Federer. I agree with Verdasco as well. Also, Ljubicic is very fun to watch. Very easy on the eyes. Rafa is great too, but in a different way (I love when he runs around his backhand).

sh@de
05-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Federer. Ahead of everyone else.

clayman2000
05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey... wheres Andy Roddick. The way he hits his backhand, appraoches the net....grabs his sack....its a beauty to watch :) Joking

Hot Sauce
05-16-2009, 06:31 PM

This, my friends, is the definition of a Nadal boner. It is when all logic and rationality is lost, and the host is completely consumed by bias. Even a facepalm could not do justice for such a tragedy.

RIP.

Andyk028
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Federer

see aggressive moonball from Andy Roddickto Roger Federer's overhead baseline winner on the run.

Serendipitous
05-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you for not putting Roddick on this poll.

I didn't want to throw up.

petetheileet
05-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Feds for sure....

Nalbandian is up there also...

never looks like he is trying...imagine if he was fit!

DarthFed
05-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Fed, Djokovic

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Nope. He's got the best game I've ever seen too. To me, he plays tennis the way it's supposed to be played. Some people prefer power, agility, and amazing gets. While I like some smooth players, it isn't as gut-wretching and tense as say, a Nadal-Djokovic match. That to me is tennis at its finest.

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:50 PM
you sure about that? have you seen rafa's backhand slice? Everytime he plays that shot, he looks like he's going to fall over.

Yep. I love everything about his game.

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
That's a joke, right? Nadal's strokes are "compact"?

Nadal plays tennis like he's in the process of giving birth to triplets. There's nothing smooth about his game. It's all maximum physical exertion. :shock:

It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I prefer Nadal's game over everyone else's. That's why I'm a fan!

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Right! I agree.

P_Agony
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Fed and Gasquet (though it's a bit hard for me to vote for the later, considering recent news).

Edit: Where is Nalbandian in this poll?

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Berdych has the smoothest serve.

I do like his serve too. It's amazing.

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Federer. I agree with Verdasco as well. Also, Ljubicic is very fun to watch. Very easy on the eyes. Rafa is great too, but in a different way (I love when he runs around his backhand).

Great choices. I like watching Verdasco and Ljubicic too, also Berdych.

TheTruth
05-18-2009, 03:58 PM
This, my friends, is the definition of a Nadal boner. It is when all logic and rationality is lost, and the host is completely consumed by bias. Even a facepalm could not do justice for such a tragedy.

RIP.

Obviously I'm not the only one since he regularly fills the stands. What's wrong with you? Everyone has to see things your way?