PDA

View Full Version : D-1 : GPA-SAT Requirements

10isRocs
05-16-2009, 01:07 PM
What is generally the GPA and SAT/ACT requirements for admission to a D-1 school?

I know that they vary but generally, as a tennis recruit, what is the minimum requirements. Do they give leeway to tennis players like they do for football?

eeytennis
05-16-2009, 01:26 PM
What is generally the GPA and SAT/ACT requirements for admission to a D-1 school?

I know that they vary but generally, as a tennis recruit, what is the minimum requirements. Do they give leeway to tennis players like they do for football?

Like you said, they vary. Stanford's admission scores are going to be A LOT higher than, let's say Rutgers. But as for whether or not there is leeway...yes, I believe that there is at least some. If you are a top ranked player, the coach will pull some strings...how many strings they pull depends on the school and the coach.

goober
05-16-2009, 02:41 PM
The minimum requirements are pretty low.

http://nats.us/ac-academics/ac-ncaa-eligibility/ac-division-I-II-eligibility.html#7

In many cases you will have to do better than the minimum to gain admission to a specific college.

get it in
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
^^^ That is pretty interesting. If your GPA is 3.55 and above you only need a 400 combined verbal and math SAT score? You get 200 points just for putting your name on the test. I guess since a 3.55 is really an A-/B+ average it kind of makes sense. Chances are if your grades are that high you probably are scoring over 1000 on the SAT math and verbal combined- unless you went to an academically weak high school.

get it in
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
True story: The guy I take lessons from was admitted to Lafayette College in PA on a full scholarship. He didn't have awesome grades, but he was top 50 nationally in juniors (18's). I guess your game (ranking that is) speaks for itself.

Atown
05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
True story: The guy I take lessons from was admitted to Lafayette College in PA on a full scholarship. He didn't have awesome grades, but he was top 50 nationally in juniors (18's). I guess your game (ranking that is) speaks for itself.

Full ride for tennis at Lafayette ... Interesting.

Consider this:
"While financial aid has always been available, athletic scholarships have only been given in recent years at Patriot League schools. Basketball scholarships were first allowed beginning with freshmen entering the league in the fall of 1998. In 2001, when American, which gave scholarships in all sports (AU does not play football) entered the league, the league began allowing all schools to do so in sports other than football. Lafayette, the last no athletic scholarships holdout, began granting full rides in basketball and other sports with freshmen entering the school in the fall of 2006. Football scholarships are still limited strictly to need-based aid." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_League

How old is he?

get it in
05-22-2009, 08:18 AM
He's in his 40's so I guess he went there in the 80's sometime. I don't know the exact details, but apparently it couldn't have been an athletic scholarship. Admittedly, I could have heard incorrectly as I was too busy chasing down balls. I know he went there for school, though. Being on the west coast, I know little about east coast schools. Cheers.