PDA

View Full Version : Roger must utilize the "true S&V" to stand a chance

tennis-hero
05-16-2009, 05:10 PM
not S&V every point

but, whenever he drags Nadal out wide, he ghosts in, prime Fed style and catches the CC shot

if Federer can hit Nadal with the power of the "true S&V" then he will bagel Nadal

100%

otherwise it will be another 1 dimensional performance from MR PERCENTAGE BASELINE LEFT HANDED TOPSPIN TENNIS

CyBorg
05-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I think it could work if Federer puts the work in, but it will never, ever work when Roger is not serving at around 70% on the first serve.

The serve is what's key and when Roger locates it it allows him to come in with more confidence and put away volleys with greater ease.

Roger won't win on the volley alone.

tennis-hero
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
i would say 75-80% first serves

but Roger should also take a page out of Novak's book

ATTACK THE 2ND SERVE ROG!

its not that strong, its ok to give it a whack

don't be passive, he'll wear you down with his top spin and out last you if you play his game

Nadal_Freak
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Short points will make Nadal fresher.

prosealster
05-16-2009, 05:19 PM
i think fed wont win full stop :) nad just has too much game and confidence at the moment

tennis-hero
05-16-2009, 05:20 PM

why haven't you contributed on my "Nadal timecapsule" thread

i miss you there :cry:

:roll:

JeMar
05-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Nobody's gonna wear him down on clay, so who cares?

Federer's only chance on clay against him is to hit through him, so I'd say this is a good tactic.

Federer served at close to 70% today, so he might have a chance tomorrow.

Jchurch
05-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I think Federer will have to play short quick points and hit the corners to win.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-16-2009, 06:12 PM
"True S&V" isn't gonna work. It's too dependent on the serve, which isn't Federer's bread n' butter shot. Besides, Nadal's passing shots are great and he can track down almost any shot on clay. He's too fast and too clay-suited to be beaten by S&V. I do agree that the 2nd serve should be the focus of attack against Nadal. But the true key here is for Federer to win the mental battle against Nadal, which is no easy task.

GameSampras
05-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Fed would have to put seriously work into it and I dont think he is willing to do so. Hes been "baselining it" for far too long.

CyBorg
05-16-2009, 07:14 PM
i would say 75-80% first serves

Will never happen.

Some guys serve that high, but they sacrifice velocity and placement.

sh@de
05-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I think it's more of a matter of attacking Nadal's serve than doing S&V. And also, if he can stop himself from spraying so many forehands, it'll help tons.

WhiskeyEE
05-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Sampras, the best Serve and volleyer of all time, didn't have good success on claycourt using S and V. Federer isn't nearly as good at it and he'd be trying it against a better clay courter and someone with better passing shots than Sampras ever played. The only way he can win is if he's mentally strong the entire match and plays his best baseline game.

Nothing wrong with S and V every now and then. But on clay, against Nadal, if it worked he would've done it already.

TheNatural
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I need to paste this post in every time someone brings up this topic:

Edberg on Federer: (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/is-federer-losing-his-grip-1675217.html)

"He's not going to beat Nadal from the back of the court. Hardly anybody does. To beat him I think he needs to reshape his game a little bit." Stefan Edberg

"In order to develop and become an even better player his strategy should be to play more serve-and-volley," Stefan Edberg said. "I think that would benefit him and it would make it easier to beat Nadal, though that's never easy of course.

"It takes time. It's not as though you can switch on and change your style suddenly. You have to do it over six months or a year, playing a lot of serve-and-volley to get your momentum and so that at the back of your mind you know what you're doing."

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Will never happen.

Some guys serve that high, but they sacrifice velocity and placement. Not Roddick, though he is missing the "V" in S&V.

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Have you guys seen Nadal's passing shots?

Fed commented on S&V, but even he said something along the lines it's awfully hard to volley against someone who hits the best passing shots.

Nadal has got so much spin and speed he can pass people 80-90% of the time. Even when off balance, or sprinting It's ridiculous.

kaiotic
05-17-2009, 06:50 AM
I need to paste this post in every time someone brings up this topic:

Edberg on Federer: (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/is-federer-losing-his-grip-1675217.html)

"He's not going to beat Nadal from the back of the court. Hardly anybody does. To beat him I think he needs to reshape his game a little bit." Stefan Edberg

"In order to develop and become an even better player his strategy should be to play more serve-and-volley," Stefan Edberg said. "I think that would benefit him and it would make it easier to beat Nadal, though that's never easy of course.

"It takes time. It's not as though you can switch on and change your style suddenly. You have to do it over six months or a year, playing a lot of serve-and-volley to get your momentum and so that at the back of your mind you know what you're doing."

again, case in point of how easily Fed took the fourth set of the AO 09 Final.
Mats Wilander has been saying this for like three or four years. easier said than done.. Edberg is realistic in that it takes 6-12 months..

tennis-hero
05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
he actually pulled it off

the power of the "true S&V" has been vindicated