PDA

View Full Version : Federer needs to use tommorow as an experiment and not care about winning.

King of Aces
05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Roger needs to try all sorts of different things tommorow and see what works.

Obviously what he has been doing has not been working so tommorow he needs to try all sorty of different things.

Maybe serve and volley every point? Maybe lob everyting and come in behind it? maybe hit all kinds of junk.......whatever, but he just needs to use tommorow as experimental.

I hope he throws out his stubborness and trys some wild stuff. Something is bound to work.

bdawg
05-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I disagree. He needs to use multiple strategies and see which one is more effective. He can't think point to point as he normally does. He has to think more broadly.

However, I do agree he shouldn't worry about the score.

King of Aces
05-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I disagree. He needs to use multiple strategies and see which one is more effective. He can't think point to point as he normally does. He has to think more broadly.

However, I do agree he shouldn't worry about the score.

Actually thats exactly what I said!!! You mean you agree! LOL.

Nadal_Freak
05-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Fed should definitely Melzer it. :lol:

bdawg
05-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh, I thought you meant try to use drop shots etc., and use random variation. If you meant adhering to one tactic at a time,then yes we agree

King of Aces
05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Oh, I thought you meant try to use drop shots etc., and use random variation. If you meant adhering to one tactic at a time,then yes we agree

Im not sure what tactic he should use....I dont think anyone really knows.

But Federer does not get that many opportunities to feel out Nadal. Therefore he should try all kinds of things on Nadal to see what works.

Court Valkyrie
05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
He needs to get excited out there! When he misses a few easy forehands in a row...break the freaking racquet or yell...show some emotion Roger. But first and foremost, he lost his mojo when he got his hair cut. He has to grow it back out.

King of Aces
05-16-2009, 05:47 PM
He needs to get excited out there! When he misses a few easy forehands in a row...break the freaking racquet or yell...show some emotion Roger. But first and foremost, he lost his mojo when he got his hair cut. He has to grow it back out.

But if I were coaching Fed I would definitiely watch the Tsonga tapes and try to do some of that.

Yanick Noah did exactly that to Wilander who was a Borg type. Noah very short sliced balls and came in behind them to beat one of the GOATS ....especially on clay.

The analogy is HUGE. Wilander was like Nadal and Tsonga is really just like Noah. I think Federer needs to watch the Noah tapes and the Tsonga tapes.

Feņa14
05-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Totally agree.

He really needs to come out of his comfort zone and try and do things against Nadal he hasn't done before. Who cares if he gets passed all day long if he tries to serve and volley? It's worth testing the waters.

Federer only really seems to care about the majors these days so I think we could see him trying some things out tomorrow.

sh@de
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Tomorrow, he needs to come out and CRUSH Nadal's 2nd serves. That'll help a lot.

Feņa14
05-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Tomorrow, he needs to come out and CRUSH Nadal's 2nd serves. That'll help a lot.

It certainly would, who cares if he misses 8/10? He might stumble across something that works or gives him great confidence if he finds himself in a good position at the French against Nadal, facing a second serve on break point (so often in the past has he wasted such an opportunity).

bdawg
05-16-2009, 06:10 PM
It certainly would, who cares if he misses 8/10? He might stumble across something that works or gives him great confidence if he finds himself in a good position at the French against Nadal, facing a second serve on break point (so often in the past has he wasted such an opportunity).

It could be something simple to rattle Nadal and pump Federer. Crushing second serves might force Nadal to rethink his serving strategy -- an exclusive barrage of Federer's backhand.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
There is another tourney vs Nadal before RG so why waste a masters final on it?

vmosrafa08
05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
This is great to say on a forum, but think about it. If you are in the final of a tournament, against the world no 1, is this really the time to experiment? He already has a hitting partner who is a lefty, and who uses a lot of spin, just like nadal. He should experiment with him, not in a tournament final. Also, as someone else said, he needs to express his emotions more- this will help him in the match. He should reflect on other matches, such as the nadal djokovic match that from a couple of days ago.

JeMar
05-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Federer clearly places much more importance on winning slams, especially the French Open. I really think he'd rather find a way to make a clay court match competitive against Nadal by using different tactics, than just lose again using the same old tired approach.

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Why try so hard to get to a final just to experiment.

JeMar
05-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Because he might find something that works and maybe use it at the French Open?

(If he gets that far)

Money and non-major titles are really irrelevant at this point for someone like Federer.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Because he might find something that works and maybe use it at the French Open?

(If he gets that far)

Money and non-major titles are really irrelevant at this point for someone like Federer. So why should he use it at a Masters final and not at a tournament right before RG this year?

Pwned
05-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Isn't this Federer's last tournament before Paris?

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Its more like he shouldnt be hesitating and just take his shots and not worry about the score as much.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Isn't this Federer's last tournament before Paris? http://www.guinotmarycohrmasters.com Against Nadal aswell.

BreakPoint
05-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Isn't this Federer's last tournament before Paris?
I'm pretty sure it is.

What other big tournaments are there between now and the FO?

JeMar
05-16-2009, 06:51 PM
So why should he use it at a Masters final and not at a tournament right before RG this year?

Most players don't play the week before a major.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Most players don't play the week before a major. Top 3 plus other top players, are look at the link I provided.

BreakPoint
05-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Top 3 plus other top players, are look at the link I provided.
Are you sure that's not just an exhibition? Since when are there 3 day pro tournaments?

egn
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
It is clearly an exo so that would not be a good chance to test a strategy as nobody would be playing their hardest. Federer I think if he is really focused on RG should use tomorrow for experimentation. Try some new tactics and see them out. Mix it up and figure out what might work best or decent. Learn how to hold your own serve on clay and see if you can draw tiebreaks. Honestly I think the key for Fed winning RG is holding his own serve. If Fed can use his serve as a weapon at points it might be his best bet to stay around. Nadal won't be easy to break but I would say if Fed can serve strong and not be broken tiebreaks could create for better chances. Fed plays very well in tiebreaks..however we will see as Nadal just owns Fed no matter what the situation is.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Are you sure that's not just an exhibition? Since when are there 3 day pro tournaments? I don't think it is an ATP event though Fed obviously has a reason to go (and he has enough money) otherwise why else would he go so close to RG? Maybe it is because he will get to try out a few things albeit at a lower competitive level versus Nadal on a RG surface.

BreakPoint
05-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't think it is an ATP event though Fed obviously has a reason to go (and he has enough money) otherwise why else would he go so close to RG? Maybe it is because he will get to try out a few things albeit at a lower competitive level versus Nadal on a RG surface.
No one has enough money. I repeat, no one has enough money. Money can disappear in an instant. Better to have too much than too little of it. :)

King of Aces
05-17-2009, 05:24 AM
There is another tourney vs Nadal before RG so why waste a masters final on it?

And how do you know he will get to play Nadal there?

Madrid is a huge opportunity to experiment with Nadal and find his soft pink underbelly.....if there is one.

Bit Federer is running out of opportunities to "test" Nadal.

Last year Federer tried to practice with a lefty junior......but you cant imitate Nadals shots........this may be Feds last chance before the FO.

miyagi
05-17-2009, 05:30 AM
This is Feds last chance before RG to play Nads he should try a few new things but subtly so Nadal doesnt work out what he is trying to do!

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 05:34 AM
perhaps he should surprise nadal by playing with a double handed bh. I've actually seen him try it a few times during practice. It certainly would be interesting.