PDA

View Full Version : 4+ Hours == Longest Master Series match?? B.S.!

TonyB
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I didn't put this in the Rants and Raves, because I believe the match length between Nadal and Djoker is the result of their specific routines between points. Other players aren't quite as guilty as these two. So it's not really a complaint; it's an observation of today's match.

So they announced that the 4+ hour semifinal match today was the "longest in Master Series history." I just have to call B.S. on that one, because these guys were taking 40+ seconds between points all day long. I think everyone knows that the maximum allowed time between points is 25 seconds. So these guys are taking a full 60% longer between every point. If you subtracted off all the wasted time, you'd get a match length of just over 2-1/2 hours. Not even close to the "longest" in Master Series history.

The Tennis Channel showed the "time between points" timer on the TV screen between points and these guys were consistently running 38+ seconds between points. Granted, they had some awesome rallies, but the bottom line is that in previous years, competitors just didn't take as long between points.

"Way back when", guys used to grab a ball and start serving after briefly wiping their brow with their wristband. Nowadays they get a towel handed to them, wipe every inch of skin surface completely free of sweat, walk around along the baseline, look up at the replay screen, select their balls, bounce the balls about 20 times, then finally serve.

Anyways, the bottom line is that if you're going to start keeping track of match duration, you'd better compensate for the EXCESS time that these guys are taking between points. ILLEGAL time, I might add.

Don't get me wrong. I think the added rest between points actually helps elevate the level of tennis that we're witnessing today. But the rules are the rules. 25 seconds. No more. Let's not sully the phenomenal matches of the past by comparing them with the present, because it's not a fair comparison.

samster
05-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree with you, TonyB.

Lots of wasting time with Nadal and Djokovic's tennis matches. So painful watching these two during the between points.

CyBorg
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Longer than five setters? Hard to believe.

gj011
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I call BS on this thread.
Silly way to put down an epic match and amazing performance from both players.

ronalditop
05-16-2009, 09:10 PM
completely agree with TonyB. I think its not a coincidence that several nadal matches last very long. Of course, with all the time he spends to do his routines his matches last much longer than any other player.

Arafel
05-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Well, Federer seems to agree with you, though I think it's pretty poor sportsmanship on his part. Then again, Federer has never been what I would call classy in press conferences.

When Fed was asked whether the long match would give him an advantage over Rafa he said:

"They asked me the same question in Australia and it wasnít really. Well, those two guys take their time as well, so, it wasnít really four hours. I donít say that to take anything away from how they played because it was phenomenal and fantastic to watch but they do take their time and it was a best-of-three set match, so it wasnít best-of-five.

slicekick95
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Your points are valid, but you are exagerating. Tennis Channel only showed the "Time Between Points" after the longest, most excruicating rallies. The players took 40 seconds between points only 13 or 14 times. That is still unnacceptable, but it wasnt after every point. After most points, they probably took about 25 seconds. The match time probably would have been 3 hours or 3 1/2 hours under normal curcemstances.

bluetrain4
05-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I didn't put this in the Rants and Raves, because I believe the match length between Nadal and Djoker is the result of their specific routines between points. Other players aren't quite as guilty as these two. So it's not really a complaint; it's an observation of today's match.

So they announced that the 4+ hour semifinal match today was the "longest in Master Series history." I just have to call B.S. on that one, because these guys were taking 40+ seconds between points all day long. I think everyone knows that the maximum allowed time between points is 25 seconds. So these guys are taking a full 60% longer between every point. If you subtracted off all the wasted time, you'd get a match length of just over 2-1/2 hours. Not even close to the "longest" in Master Series history.

The Tennis Channel showed the "time between points" timer on the TV screen between points and these guys were consistently running 38+ seconds between points. Granted, they had some awesome rallies, but the bottom line is that in previous years, competitors just didn't take as long between points.

"Way back when", guys used to grab a ball and start serving after briefly wiping their brow with their wristband. Nowadays they get a towel handed to them, wipe every inch of skin surface completely free of sweat, walk around along the baseline, look up at the replay screen, select their balls, bounce the balls about 20 times, then finally serve.

Anyways, the bottom line is that if you're going to start keeping track of match duration, you'd better compensate for the EXCESS time that these guys are taking between points. ILLEGAL time, I might add.

Don't get me wrong. I think the added rest between points actually helps elevate the level of tennis that we're witnessing today. But the rules are the rules. 25 seconds. No more. Let's not sully the phenomenal matches of the past by comparing them with the present, because it's not a fair comparison.

In the the larger context, does it really matter? I mean, what exactly is the prestige of being in the longest Masters match? Will his ""honor" make any difference in the long run?

luckyguy
05-16-2009, 09:50 PM
people on this board are really hard to impress...they would always find faults..but it's a free country anyway..all opinions are valid..

samster
05-16-2009, 09:52 PM
people on this board are really hard to impress...they would always find faults..but it's a free country anyway..all opinions are valid..

Welcome to TTW.

Tnsguy25
05-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Seriously, what does a person have to do to get universal approval and no criticisms on this board? Find the cure for cancer while standing on his head and reciting War and Peace in 25 different languages all at the same time?

rubberduckies
05-16-2009, 09:55 PM

LOL at your logic.

Do you understand that even if they took 60% longer than is normal between points, as you claim, this would not translate into the match being lengthened by 60%.

sh@de
05-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I guess you can say that this wasn't really the longest match... but who cares? I wouldn't care if I were part of this kind of record or not really... what matters is the quality of play. A 1 hour match with high quality play is >> a 5 hour match with crap play.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Pretty bad sportsmanship. I hope Fed calls Nadal out on this tomorrow because this will unsettle Nadal.

Jchurch
05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I really hate it when anyone takes such a long time between points. Whether it is watching on TV or playing, it just get me going. If this match would have been two no names they probably would have called some time violations. It's not fair to make your opponent wait so long while you fix your socks, pull shorts out of your but, etc.

gj011
05-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Pretty bad sportsmanship. I hope Fed calls Nadal out on this tomorrow because this will unsettle Nadal.

Calling out your opponent to distract and unsettle him is a definition of a pretty bad sportsmanship, not taking couple of seconds more after a long rally at the end of an exhausting match.

Jchurch
05-16-2009, 10:24 PM

I agree. I am shocked he hasn't called him out more often during matches.

Jchurch
05-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Calling out your opponent to distract and unsettle him is a definition of a pretty bad sportsmanship, not taking couple of seconds more after a long rally at the end of an exhausting match.

Nadal takes extra time whether or not the previous point had been short or long.

NandoMania
05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I just don't care. As far as i'm concerned, they can take as much time as they want. I think it's a relatively unimportant rule to enforce.

Safinator_1
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Taking extra time or not as Nadal has said time and time again, unless the umpire calls him on it he will continue to do it, and in a home crowd stadium i doubt that is very likely

gj011
I just don't care. As far as i'm concerned, they can take as much time as they want. I think it's a relatively unimportant rule to enforce.

Absolutely agree. It is up to umpires discretion and fortunately they are much smarter people than fanboys who open silly threads like this one.

Safinator_1
The Madrid crowd love Nadal especially after the awesome SF. I doubt they will mind if he takes the extra time in the final

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Calling out your opponent to distract and unsettle him is a definition of a pretty bad sportsmanship Yes so we should just let cheats like Djokovic and Nadal get away with it. Have you ever thought it unsettles Federer? (which it does).

not taking couple of seconds more after a long rally at the end of an exhausting match.

Don't give me that crap they do it every game.

Safinator_1
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I say the umpire must truly regard them highly to not call them out. If it were a much less known player outside the top 100 he would

luckyguy
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
a little OT, any link of the post match presscon of both semis?

gj011
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Yes so we should just let cheats like Djokovic and Nadal get away with it. Have you ever thought it unsettles Federer? (which it does).

Oh poor Federer, the only reason he loses is because his opponents take too much time :roll:

Also it is not a cheating. As I said, it is up to umpires discretion and they are smarter the you fanboys, and know when it is acceptable and when it is not.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
\Also it is not a cheating. As I said, it is up to umpires discretion and they are smarter the you fanboys, and know when it is acceptable and when it is not. Call it what you want, cheating is cheating. Bad sportsmanship aswell as it puts Federer and other players off aswell.

DunlopDood
05-16-2009, 11:17 PM
How can it be the longest when Nadal and Coria played a 5 hour final in Rome in 2005, as well as federer and Nadal in the Rome final in 2006 I believe went 5 hours. Granted those were best of 5 set finals, but still.

bluetrain4
05-16-2009, 11:32 PM
How can it be the longest when Nadal and Coria played a 5 hour final in Rome in 2005, as well as federer and Nadal in the Rome final in 2006 I believe went 5 hours. Granted those were best of 5 set finals, but still.

They probably meant "longest" in regards to a three set match.

380pistol
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Longer than five setters? Hard to believe.

Cuz it's not true. The longest masters math was the 2006 Rome F between Nadal and Federer at 5 hrs 6 min.

380pistol
05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Taking extra time or not as Nadal has said time and time again, unless the umpire calls him on it he will continue to do it, and in a home crowd stadium i doubt that is very likely

Gotta agree. It hapens in every spotr. In soccer and basketball they;ll grab jerseys, push off (as well as in football). The onus is the refs to call it, or for the opposong player to call them out. And the Federphiles can cry all they like, but didn't Fed call to the unpire in the Wimbledon final when Nadal was serving for the 2nd set, and Rafa was warned, Didn't help Roger that much did it.

And if a few extra seconds throws you off, then your head is soft to begin with.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 12:04 AM
If Nadal took less time at last years Roland Garros final it would have been over in under an hour. The fans would have demanded a refund.

Safinator_1
05-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Yet again another way to discredit Nadal and Djoko...

jokes, jokes lol calm down fed fans

Tennis_Bum
05-17-2009, 12:09 AM

Fed is too stupid to apply the rules. I would, but I don't think he would.

kaibaNYC06
05-17-2009, 12:11 AM
regardless of the quality of the match. IMO the rules should apply to everyone, esp the pros.

380pistol
05-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Fed is too stupid to apply the rules. I would, but I don't think he would.

He did apply the rules in the 2008 Wimbledon final, Nadal was called for taking too much while serving the 2nd set. How'd that work out for Roger??

Safinator_1
05-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Rules should apply to them but alas it won't :(

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Yes so we should just let cheats like Djokovic and Nadal get away with it. Have you ever thought it unsettles Federer? (which it does).

Don't cry http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/SMirC-cry.svg/320px-SMirC-cry.svg.png

Its bad sportsmanship and whining from fans to focus on trivial matters after a spectacular match.

theduh
05-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Don't cry http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/SMirC-cry.svg/320px-SMirC-cry.svg.png

Its bad sportsmanship and whining from fans to focus on trivial matters after a spectacular match.

Classy indeed. There are rules that needs to be enforced but for some reason umpires are not calling it wonder why :roll:

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Classy indeed. There are rules that needs to be enforced but for some reason umpires are not calling it wonder why :roll:

Maybe its because you're not crying loud enough. If the umpires knew how hurt your feelings were I'm sure they'd call it

http://blueroof.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/mls-cry-babies.png?w=317&h=198.jpg

theduh
05-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Maybe its because you're not crying loud enough. If the umpires knew how hurt your feelings were I'm sure they'd call it

Mature indeed. Everyone saw that both Novak and Nadal took advantage of the time limit per point. Hell I don't even care if they took 5 minutes just to get a serve in, but that fact remains that there is a rule that needs to be enforced which was lacking yesterday.

feetofclay
05-17-2009, 02:26 AM
TonyB said, "but the bottom line is that in previous years, competitors just didn't take as long between points.

"Way back when", guys used to grab a ball and start serving after briefly wiping their brow with their wristband."

According to Peter Fleming the time rule was introduced in his era, because the top players such as Connors and Mcenroe were deliberately using time wasting as a tactic. He says that they regularly took 40+ seconds between points on the pretence that they were tying shoe laces, blowing there noses etc. etc.

thejoe
05-17-2009, 02:31 AM

Right. Worse than unsettling him on purpose by taking close to a minute in between serves?

luckyboy1300
05-17-2009, 03:42 AM
pete sampras got penalized for time delay while puking on court (vs corretja i believe) yet these 2 little sissies are allowed to get away with it?

vtmike
05-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Federer will beat Sampras' GS record!

There I fixed it for you :)

vtmike
05-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Mature indeed. Everyone saw that both Novak and Nadal took advantage of the time limit per point. Hell I don't even care if they took 5 minutes just to get a serve in, but that fact remains that there is a rule that needs to be enforced which was lacking yesterday.

Yeah I agree with the OP! The match would be over atleast 30 minutes earlier if it was not for their drama between each point...They towel themselves from the waist up between each point...then you have excessive ball bouncing, bottle arranging, hair adjustments, medical timeouts, etc...

bizarre_opinion
05-17-2009, 04:19 AM
i'm surprised the referee don't give these 2 prats warnings for wasting time. Frankly, they are just abusing the rules. What's the point in having a rule if it's just going to be ignored by both players and officials. Scrap it, or abide by it, is what i say.

CocaCola
05-17-2009, 04:34 AM
Hey they both love to do that and when they play ech other they do that...

vtmike
05-17-2009, 04:40 AM
The match was very good and both players played very well...but you have to be blind to deny that it was the longest match due to nothing but excessive time wasting!

Even the QF played between Sampras & Agassi at the 2001 USO which had four tiebreakers lasted only 3-1/2 hours!!!

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah I agree with the OP! The match would be over atleast 30 minutes earlier if it was not for their drama between each point...They towel themselves from the waist up between each point...then you have excessive ball bouncing, bottle arranging, hair adjustments, medical timeouts, etc...

The match was very good and both players played very well...but you have to be blind to deny that it was the longest match due to nothing but excessive time wasting!

Even the QF played between Sampras & Agassi at the 2001 USO which had four tiebreakers lasted only 3-1/2 hours!!!

Then stop whining if it was a good match you silly *******.What a bore.:roll:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/12/15/gallery/yawn-380x540.jpg

Frankauc
05-17-2009, 06:11 AM
what ill remember about this match is that it was one of the best i have ever seen and that the extra time they took between points just added to the suspense of that unbelievable match.

maybe you care more of the time than me....

gj011
05-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Very well done The Natural. Thanks.

Also I must add that no knowledgeable tennis fan would compare lengths of clay and fast hardcourt matches and draw conclusions from that. :roll:

vtmike
05-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Then stop whining if it was a good match you silly *******.What a bore.:roll:

Yeah very intelligent and engaging reply there!...How old are you again?

BTW did you notice that the thread title says "4+ Hours == Longest Master Series match?? B.S.!" I have a simple solution for you...If you have a problem with this discussion don't click on the thread topic! ;) :lol:

Otherwise I suggest,

http://img.printfection.com/14/14240/FxMRR.jpg

Bud
05-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Another Nadal record for the books! :)

Jchurch
05-17-2009, 07:07 AM

Ha Ha. Now that is funny.

Tennisfans1
05-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Nothing but bitter Fed Fans trying to take away credit as usual

oscar_2424
05-17-2009, 07:13 AM

get over it hater!

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Yeah very intelligent and engaging reply there!...How old are you again?

BTW did you notice that the thread title says "4+ Hours == Longest Master Series match?? B.S.!" I have a simple solution for you...If you have a problem with this discussion don't click on the thread topic! ;) :lol:

Otherwise I suggest,

Ok since you insist on whinging I'll help you overcome your issues. I suggest you just don't watch the Nadal or Joker matches so you have less to whinge about or I suggest you that your get your boyfriend to record the matches and edit out the bits you don't like out so you have less to cry about.;)

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_consonants/y/images/yawn.jpg

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 07:26 AM

If they miss the short matches they can always watch replays of the 08 Roland Garros final.:)

"At an hour and 48 minutes it was the shortest final at Roland Garros since Bjorn Borg's victory over Vitas Gerulaitis in 1980 "