PDA

View Full Version : Federer can't win tomorrow-at least not with Nadal fans.

jamesblakefan#1
05-16-2009, 10:27 PM
If Fed wins, he just took advantage of a tired/hurt Nadal.

If he loses, he gets buried for not even being able to beat a dead tired Nadal.

Am I seeing this right? Should he just give Rafa a walkover? Thats the way it'd basically be for Nadal fans.

MajinX
05-16-2009, 10:37 PM
lol ur probably right, no matter wat happens there will always be excuses and arguments, not just for tomorrows match, for every match.

Safinator_1
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Well... he is tired lol so, yeah lose hes tired, win hes the best! its win win situation no matter how you look at it from his fans

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM

Am I seeing this right? Should he just give Rafa a walkover? Thats the way it'd basically be for Nadal fans. Yes you are 100% right. Though if he loses you need to include the fact he should retire.

Also if he gives a walkover then he will be called a bad sport. Impossible for Federer to "win" this game no matter how he tries.

gj011
05-16-2009, 10:43 PM

Am I seeing this right? Should he just give Rafa a walkover? Thats the way it'd basically be for Nadal fans.

Sorry but that is just the truth. Nadal is tired after an epic 4 hour match with not enough time to recuperate, while Federer had a cakewalk joke of a draw.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry but that is just the truth. Nadal is tired after an epic 4 hour match with not enough time to recuperate, while Federer had a cakewalk joke of a draw. He had a longer time to recuperate then Federer so it evens out. Not to mention most of that 4 hours was time-wasting as proven in another thread. :wink:

MajinX
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry but that is just the truth. Nadal is tired after an epic 4 hour match with not enough time to recuperate, while Federer had a cakewalk joke of a draw.

yes it is true that nadal will be more tired than federer but is nadal not the most physically tough guy on tour? and is he not an athlete? I played tennis for hours in the summer and sure i was tired right after for a bit, but usually a days rest and im good to play again. so for a pro im assuming half a day is good enough... and its not like they dont have many pro trainers and crazy nice beds and everything else that takes stress away from their muscles.

gj011
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
He had a longer time to recuperate then Federer so it evens out. Not to mention most of that 4 hours was time-wasting as proven in another thread. :wink:

I didn't see that was proven.

jamesblakefan#1
05-16-2009, 10:54 PM
So gj, you would not even give Fed credit if he played well tomorrow, used smart tactics to defeat an albeit tired Nadal?

gj011
05-16-2009, 11:07 PM
So gj, you would not even give Fed credit if he played well tomorrow, used smart tactics to defeat an albeit tired Nadal?

Not tomorrow. It will be just too uneven playing field IMO.

If Fed had to go through a decent draw instead of this joke (Soderling, Blake, Roddick, DelPotro), beat Novak or some other decent clay court player in the SF after a hard match and than beat Nadal in a way you described, than yes for sure.

It won't happen the way you described it anyway.

Nadalfan89
05-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Federer has a snowball's chance in hell of winning tomorrow so I don't think it matters.

vndesu
05-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Federer has a snowball's chance in hell of winning tomorrow so I don't think it matters.

i would expect nothing more from ppl like you.
hopefully it will be a good match

Tennis_Bum
05-17-2009, 12:15 AM

True enough, but hell, just beat the SH*T out of Nadal tomorrow and who cares what his fans say. Just get the joy out of beating him tomorrow. But I say this with a lot of cautions. Fed just should play freely tomorrow. If he tenses up, boy, it's going to be ugly for Fed.

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Not tomorrow. It will be just too uneven playing field IMO.

If Fed had to go through a decent draw instead of this joke (Soderling, Blake, Roddick, DelPotro), beat Novak or some other decent clay court player in the SF after a hard match and than beat Nadal in a way you described, than yes for sure.

It won't happen the way you described it anyway.

Del Potro isn't even a DECENT clay courter now? Federer had a decent draw it's just any challenge he would have had lost early (Karlovic, Davydenko, Andreev)

Nadal had just as easy a draw. He's the best clay courter in the world, no-one challenes him on clay really except Fed (exclusing FO2008) and now Djokovic.

onkystomper
05-17-2009, 12:27 AM
You all seem to forgetting that

1) You can only play the people in front of you

2) Winning a tournament is just that ... you have to win the tournament not just the final... so what if Nadal played 4 hours in the last round... that is his problem its part of playing tournaments.. you have to win early rounds conserving energy.

Its going to still be a very tough ask for Federer but if he wins it will be just as good a victory for him as it will be for Nadal if he wins.

Safinator_1
05-17-2009, 12:36 AM
he is playing a wounded Nadal honestly not even Fed can mess this up

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 12:44 AM
The hatred towards Federer in this forum is again unbelievable.

It's Nadal's fault for playing this long - if he doesn't want the matches to last this long he needs to shorten the points, take less than 40 seconds between points, and be more aggressive.

I could have sworn that there was a game in the Nadal/Djokovic match that lasted more than the whole match of Federer/Delpo

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 12:48 AM

He will not give any credit to Federer even if he beat Murray, Djokovic and Nadal back to back, day after day. He will always claim Federer got a better schedule, a better draw, the crowd was cheering for him more, the rain was helping him. He always finds something to say.

Of course, Djokovic never got an easy draw, the rain never helped him, the sechdule was never fair to him.

Safinator_1
05-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Long matches from Nadal are always awesome to me, What a Great Champion to think of the fans entertainment before his well-being i salute you :D

maximo
The hatred towards Murray in this forum is again unbelievable.

There you go, fixed it.

TennisandMusic
He will not give any credit to Federer even if he beat Murray, Djokovic and Nadal back to back, day after day. He will always claim Federer got a better schedule, a better draw, the crowd was cheering for him more, the rain was helping him. He always finds something to say.

Of course, Djokovic never got an easy draw, the rain never helped him, the sechdule was never fair to him.

Well it's not Nadal's fault for getting Djokovic in the semis, who seems to be by far the second best clay courter right now. The guy is fantastic on the stuff, and it was an extremely tight match with razor thin margins. You can hardly call that his fault.

And yeah of course rain helped Djokovic. It helped him in Rome for sure. :-P At least it appeared too.

It is kind of a lose-lose situation for Federer though. Nadal does look gassed to me at least. So yeah he's going to be screwed. If he wins its "Well of course he did, Nadal was worn out." If he loses then it's REALLY bad...

I just hope Nadal doesn't do anything stupid and endangers his RG or Wimbledon chances.

theduh
05-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Fed will never get credit from this forum even though IF he had the toughest draw or a cakewalk draw. But if Nadal had a tough draw everyone will say that he's a fighter, mentally though, etc.

Ronny
05-17-2009, 01:09 AM

fed hasnt won yet

Safinator_1
05-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Fed will never get credit from this forum even though IF he had the toughest draw or a cakewalk draw. But if Nadal had a tough draw everyone will say that he's a fighter, mentally though, etc.

Because Nadal is all that lol duh

BorisBeckerFan
05-17-2009, 01:49 AM
It's unfortunate that the situation is what it is. I know Fed would take a win any way he can but I'd also like think that he would get the most satisfaction by beating Nadal when they're both near 100 percent. It would mean more to him. It's always a bad situation when you face a tired opponent. Had Djokovic lost the AO semifinal to Fed and word got out that he had mono, it would have looked bad for Djokovic. Djokovic won and the later on it was like well Fed was tired cause of the mono so that win by many wasn't given as much credit. It's a pre-built excuse but it's also just the way it is and most players get to be on both sides of the equation.

timnz
05-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Federer isn't evaluating it from the fans point of view, he is evaluating it from his own point of view. If he wins, he will be assessing how strong Nadal was. He has played him enough times to know if it was a full strength Nadal performance. So he will know himself if it was a great win or just a convenient win.

I think that if Federer does win, it will be a great confidence builder either way, regardless of what the public think. He will be able to assess how good the performance was himself. He is no fool.

The 2 best performances of Federer on clay were the last set of Hamburg in 2007 where he beat Nadal 6-0 and at the Italian Open in 2006 where he had match point against Nadal.

What I find interesting also is that Madrid has turned out to be Federer's best showing on clay pre-Roland Garros just the same as used to be the case when Hamburg was a Super-9. Madrid is placed exactly the same place in the calendar as Hamburg used to be.

In terms of what is 'wrong with Federer' that people seem to go on about in this forum, the single strongest factor this year has been his serve. If he was serving at 60% he would have won the Australian Open this year. Sorry to Nadal fans but that is just a fact. He won a set at the Australian Open final serving less that 50%. So at 60+ he would have kept it together. You can't serve at less than 50% and expect to beat Nadal. The fact that he pushed Nadal to 5 sets and served so badly is amazing to me.

Last night against Del Potro you could see signs that the service is coming back. Hope it continues...

vtmike
05-17-2009, 02:46 AM
he is playing a wounded Nadal honestly not even Fed can mess this up

You are talking as if Djokovic physically hit him in the knees with his racquet!...He played a three set match...Agreed it was a long one but how much was it time wasting? Nadal is the fittest guy on tour and you are telling me he cannot recover from a three set match in almost 24 hours?

And I agree with the OP...Fed will be criticized no matter what the outcome...but the situation is not in his control and he is not playing to impress the *******s...any other rational fan would give Fed credit I am sure...Its just that the forum is over run by Nadal fans right now :)

babbette
05-17-2009, 02:49 AM
let' s wait for the match to see if any of the OP's words are true. If he can fight like Novak fought yesterday, with Rafa fighting the same and he wins, then props to him. No excuses.

Unless that is the case...one of your excuses will be used.:twisted:

timnz
05-17-2009, 02:51 AM
let' s wait for the match to see if any of the OP's words are true. If he can fight like Novak fought yesterday, with Rafa fighting the same and he wins, then props to him. No excuses.

Unless that is the case...one of your excuses will be used.:twisted:

What if Federer wins easily (and I am not making predictions here) and Nadal's obviously moving well? What will be the assessment then?

babbette
05-17-2009, 02:58 AM
What if Federer wins easily (and I am not making predictions here) and Nadal's obviously moving well? What will be the assessment then?

given past matches/records/history-if Nadal is moving well Roger cannot win easily. He will have to fight fight fight, everypoint, until he can't breathe anymore but his hands and legs are still able to function somehow. Like I said the only way we can give Roger credit if he wins is if he plays a match similar to the one Novak played yesterday.

Blinkism
05-17-2009, 03:07 AM
It depends on Nadal, true.

But if Nadal comes out and gives a 100% and Federer can keep up (win or lose) and we see a great all-time classic epic match, then i'm sure the decent and sane Nadal fans will give him credit just as they did to Djokovic for the semi-final.

But then again, you may say i'm a dreamer......... but i'm not the only one.

timnz
05-17-2009, 03:22 AM
given past matches/records/history-if Nadal is moving well Roger cannot win easily. He will have to fight fight fight, everypoint, until he can't breathe anymore but his hands and legs are still able to function somehow. Like I said the only way we can give Roger credit if he wins is if he plays a match similar to the one Novak played yesterday.

History in fact shows that Federer can play well against Nadal on Clay at times. In 2006 Federer took a 6-1 set off Nadal in the French Open final which Nadal won so he obviously was in good form. In 2007 Hamburg took a 6-0 set off Nadal who didn't look bad to me, it just was Federer was playing like his supporters always are wanting him to play. So if he can do it for 1 set then he can do it for 2.

I agree its a reach. Nadal is so strong. But a Federer who clicks can be a handful for anyone.

maximo
05-17-2009, 03:24 AM
When Nadal has a long and tiresome match, the next day he plays even better.

sheq
05-17-2009, 04:10 AM
I didn't see that was proven.

interestingly ı am agree with you..yea roger got a easy draw and nadal had to pass verdasco and djokovic in the route to the final..plus, he played a 4 hours match ( ı think normally it cant be a 4 hours match in a best of three set match but they took so much time between the points )..

so, ı know if roger wins today it will be mostly because of his easy draw and nadal tiredness..

but what ı know or we know is even if roger wins french open title with the victories over nadal and djokovic you will find some excuses not to give credits to roger..

thats why ı dont like being agree with you...

aldeayeah
05-17-2009, 04:14 AM
If Federer wins, all credit and more to him.

Nadal on clay is such an ogre, the conditions being against him can't be considered a mitigating factor.

Fed would still be beating Nadal, on clay, in a final, in Spain.

(I'm a big Nadal fan by the way)

Blinkism
05-17-2009, 04:22 AM
If Federer wins, all credit and more to him.

Nadal on clay is such an ogre, the conditions being against him can't be considered a mitigating factor.

Fed would still be beating Nadal, on clay, in a final, in Spain.

(I'm a big Nadal fan by the way)

LOL, look at what Fed said in an interview

"It's exciting," said Federer.
"I mean, I love playing against the guy. I'm not sure if itís the first time that we meet in Spain in a match situation, so it's definitely going to be a nice match, I hope."

He's trying to play it all aloof and cool.
Maybe he'll actually relax tomorrow and play some kick-*** tennis?

Same goes for Nadal?

CocaCola
05-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Well its normal that after yesterdays Nole-Rafa match there will be excuses that Rafa is tired, but I think if Roger takes this one it will be a great thing for him his confidence.

mandy01
05-17-2009, 04:31 AM
I dont care..I'll be hiding under my bed covers anyway :lol:

Dream_On
05-17-2009, 04:32 AM

Its the same for every match nadal plays.

If he loses its because he is tired so doesnt count.
If he wins then hes just god.

Reminds me of liverpool fc.

Safinator_1
05-17-2009, 04:35 AM
You are talking as if Djokovic physically hit him in the knees with his racquet!...He played a three set match...Agreed it was a long one but how much was it time wasting? Nadal is the fittest guy on tour and you are telling me he cannot recover from a three set match in almost 24 hours?

And I agree with the OP...Fed will be criticized no matter what the outcome...but the situation is not in his control and he is not playing to impress the *******s...any other rational fan would give Fed credit I am sure...Its just that the forum is over run by Nadal fans right now :)

Hey a win is a win thats what ive always believed. If Fed can get the W from Nadals long match then so be it. A win is a win

Zaragoza
05-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Are you saying Nadal won't be tired after a 4 hour match? That's the way it is for Federer fans.

Djokovic didn't get credit for winning the AO because Federer had mono. Nadal didn't get credit for winning Wimbledon because Federer had mono and it wasn't true grass. And Nadal didn't get credit for winning the last AO because Federer played like crap. Yes, that's the way it is for Federer fans.......following your logic.

Tennisfans1
05-17-2009, 07:06 AM
i'll tell Fed fans what they always say to everyone' double standard much' why don't you apply that to yourselves you hypocrites

jamesblakefan#1
05-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Any Nadal fans want to give Fed credit now? Or just going to use the excuses provided?

Cesc Fabregas
05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Any Nadal fans want to give Fed credit now? Or just going to use the excuses provided?

Federer played well but Nadal was spent mentally and pyshically.

babbette
05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
comeon, is Federer giving credit to Federer? His "dude" finger wave at the end didn't exactly show he believed the curse had been broken. :roll:

someone said Federer finished what Novak started-so the question has finally been answered-what does it take to beat Nadal on clay? One player on fire and a second one to play below 70%:twisted:

Blinkism
05-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Sure, all the credit in the world to Federer for winning the Madrid title.

NamRanger
05-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Are you saying Nadal won't be tired after a 4 hour match? That's the way it is for Federer fans.

Djokovic didn't get credit for winning the AO because Federer had mono. Nadal didn't get credit for winning Wimbledon because Federer had mono and it wasn't true grass. And Nadal didn't get credit for winning the last AO because Federer played like crap. Yes, that's the way it is for Federer fans.......following your logic.

Nadal played a longer match at the AO and had the same amount of time to recover before the final. Please, stop with your nonsense. Federer simply outplayed Nadal today here, like how Nadal outplayed Federer at the AO and Wimbledon.

jamesblakefan#1
05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
So it is as I said, no credit for Federer today. He's just a washed up loser who just happens to have 13 slams.

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Same situation arises tomorrow. If Federer loses, he's a choker. He wins, he doesn't get as much credit, because he didn't beat the Great Rafa in the final. Sad that people can never give a guy credit b/c of the rivalry.

grafselesfan
06-06-2009, 05:49 AM
If Federer wins tommorows final I will give him no credit at all. He just got lucky if he wins and deserves no credit. He is the luckiest and most overrated player of all time- male or female. Well maybe tied with Serena "fat arse" Williams.

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 05:52 AM
If Federer wins tommorows final I will give him no credit at all. He just got lucky if he wins and deserves no credit. He is the luckiest and most overrated player of all time- male or female. Well maybe tied with Serena "fat arse" Williams.

Wow. Tell us how you really feel. :)

thejoe
06-06-2009, 05:56 AM

Wow. He deserves no credit. Who does deserve the credit then?

maximo
06-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Wow. He deserves no credit. Who does deserve the credit then?

He's not playing Nadal, he deserves nothing.

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 05:58 AM
If Federer wins, he totally deserves it because he has been chasing that FO for so long.

In 10 years time, only specialists will remember the circumstances in which he won. The large audience will just know Federer won the carreer GS.

It is however strange in a way that Federer, IMO, is playing below the level he displayed at FO 2007 and 2008, and now he is going to win.

His matches haven't been impressive game technically but mentally they have shown him to be very strong.

His opponents: Martin, Acasuso, Matthieu, Haas, Monfils, Delpo, Soderling; not really a list of all time greatest (except maybe in the future Delpo, he is still growing in his game). Yet against this field he has almost stumbled in each match.

jelle v
06-06-2009, 05:58 AM

Please.. lie down on the couch.. tell us, where do you feel this frustration comes from?

Ronny
06-06-2009, 05:59 AM
he deserves credit, hes playing a hot streak soderling who beat nadal in 4...something fed has never been able to do at the FO

Ronny
06-06-2009, 05:59 AM
^^^ that is IF fed wins

thejoe
06-06-2009, 06:00 AM
He's not playing Nadal, he deserves nothing.

Yes, because Nadal is out and Federer isn't. How do you not get this? If Murray have been in the final tomorrow, would he have deserved no credit for beating Soderling?

JeMar
06-06-2009, 06:00 AM

Such strong feelings for something that has nothing to do with you. It's a good thing that no one cares about your opinion at all.

Enjoy the obscurity.

grafselesfan
06-06-2009, 06:01 AM
If Federer wins, he totally deserves it because he has been chasing that FO for so long.

In 10 years time, only specialists will remember the circumstances in which he won. The large audience will just know Federer won the carreer GS.

It is however strange in a way that Federer, IMO, is playing below the level he displayed at FO 2007 and 2008, and now he is going to win.

His matches haven't been impressive game technically but mentally they have shown him to be very strong.

His opponents: Martin, Acasuso, Matthieu, Haas, Monfils, Delpo, Soderling; not really a list of all time greatest (except maybe in the future Delpo, he is still growing in his game). Yet against this field he has almost stumbled in each match.

I disagree with you about last year. Last years French Roger played awful, much worse than this years. This year he has played some people playing unbelievably well, much better than anyone he played last year. Last years French he played awful though. He would have been out in the 3rd or 4th round playing like last year this year, no questions.

Dutch-Guy
06-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Same situation arises tomorrow. If Federer loses, he's a choker. He wins, he doesn't get as much credit, because he didn't beat the Great Rafa in the final. Sad that people can never give a guy credit b/c of the rivalry.

Which Rafa fans are you referring to here? Names please.

vtmike
06-06-2009, 06:04 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266012

Hmmmmmmmm....... http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0006.gif

vtmike
06-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Such strong feelings for something that has nothing to do with you. It's a good thing that no one cares about your opinion at all.

Enjoy the obscurity.

Exactly!! She thinks we care... LMAO!! :lol:

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Which Rafa fans are you referring to here? Names please.

Not all of them. Some of them are gracious. But its the Nadal-*****---they won't give Federer credit. The kind of folks who even if he'd beaten Nadal in the final, would have said Nadal was hurt, the clay was fast, etc. THOSE Nadal fans.

vtmike
06-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Not all of them. Some of them are gracious. But its the Nadal-*****---they won't give Federer credit. The kind of folks who even if he'd beaten Nadal in the final, would have said Nadal was hurt, the clay was fast, etc. THOSE Nadal fans.

Don't forget the ***********s who say that Sampras would have won the French Open easily if he was playing now...

jelle v
06-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Don't forget the ***********s who say that Sampras would have won the French Open easily if he was playing now...

Indeed.. Sampras would have smoked this entire field.. his Roland Garros results are a clear indication of that.. :lol:

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 06:15 AM

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/texas4life23/haterade.gif

valiant
06-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I dont think Federer cares about the opinion people. If he wins he will be happy and I bet he doesnt read these forums either.

Mick
06-06-2009, 09:45 AM
a guy from the french press asked federer if he misses not playing against nadal tomorrow. federer said no :)

vtmike
06-06-2009, 09:54 AM
a guy from the french press asked federer if he misses not playing against nadal tomorrow. federer said no :)

Yeah his reply was pretty funny...

"No, not really. Not really. Maybe for you you're going to miss him, but not me."

zagor
06-06-2009, 09:55 AM

"No, not really. Not really. Maybe for you you're going to miss him, but not me."

Such arrogance.

valiant
06-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Do you have any link of a video.I want to see.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Nadal fans WILL give credit to Federer.

*********s won't.
But then again I don't give a ***** what those think anyway.

rafan
06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Federer had better win tomorrow - its his hands I would rather see the cup in

rosenstar
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM

A lot of people will say that now, but when we look back at it in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years, very few people are going to say "he didn't deserve it." No one complains about Agassi having an "easy draw" to win his french. I think he played 1 seeded player the entire tournament. He played Andre Mendalev in the finals. Mendalev is an amazing player and had a better pro career than 99% of professional players, but he is no where near a fall-of-famer, nor was he ever a contender at slams.

I don't understand this logic... according to the ranks he is the second best player in the world, which, based on the current, [b]unbiased[b] ranking system, is true. The best player in the world was knocked out already, so therefore Fed is the best remaining player, and thus deserves his spot in the final.

Nadal and djokovic both lost to players outside the top 20! These are superstars, some of the games best talent, and they are supposedly playing in a 'weak' era. How can anyone possibly argue that these two players deserve a spot in the finals, but Federer does not. Federer has beaten 4 former/current top 10 players, 3 of which are still top 20. Nadal lost to the first seeded player he's played.

I give Nadal credit, until this point in the season, he has been playing incredible tennis which is comparable, if not better, than the tennis that Federer was playing in '04-'06. He deserved every penny he got for winning four straight french opens, a remarkable achievement, but this time he failed. But if he deserved a spot in the final, he would've found a way to win against Soderling. But he didn't.

As for Federer being overrated, I don't understand that at all. Overrated players don't win 3/4 grand slams 3 times in their career. Overrated players don't stay at number 1 in the world for over 160 weeks. Overrated players don't break records on a yearly basis. Overrated players don't go through a season loosing only 3 matches.

There is no doubt that Federer is on the downward side of his career. There is also no doubt that, currently, Nadal is a better player than Federer. However, these past two weeks, Federer managed to pull it out when it mattered most. Nadal failed to do this. A grand slam isn't about just 2 or 3 players, it's about 128 different players. Anything can happen, that's what so exciting! One could say that Federer got lucky this tournament, or that he no longer has any edge over Nadal, but, it is ridiculous to say that he doesn't deserve this title.

vtmike
06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Do you have any link of a video.I want to see.

Not the video but the transcript,

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-05/200906051244233111143.html

Buckeye10s
06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
In some ways it is a no win for Fed tomorrow... If he does win some will say it is a hollow victory since it wasn't against Nadal. If he loses, well he might hang himself with Wilson Natural Gut....

If he does win it should not be considered hollow... To me it shows just how great a player he is that he is in the final for the 4th year in a row, and that his ability to always be there is his greatness. As great as Nadal is (especially on clay) his knees are a huge weakness, and have kept him from being even a bigger threat on hard courts.

Also Sampras' victories against Pioline, and a young Moya were never considered hollow because of the level of competition he faced in the final. In tennis you beat the player that is across the net from you. In slams if you do that 7 times you are the champion. Period.

rosenstar
06-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't understand how this is a lose/lose situation. Beating Soderling in the finals is an improvement over losing to Nadal in the finals. People will argue it is a 'hollow' victory for a few years, but after that they won't

valiant
06-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Not the video but the transcript,

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-05/200906051244233111143.html

Thanx for the link.

rafan
06-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Well it wouldn't be very sportsmanlike to Soderling if he said he would rather play Nadal surely

GoDawgs2011
06-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Such arrogance.

How is this arrogant?

Hypothetically: "Yeah, I miss Rafa. I would have kicked his ***, if he made it here this year." = arrogant

Saying you're not disappointed that the guy who's beaten you 4 years in a row and ruined your attempt at the Career Slam isn't there, while recognizing that Fed-Rafa was what the fans wanted. = realistic

In fact, if I was trying to prove Fed's arrogance, I could think of much better quotes...