PDA

View Full Version : Is tennis too predictable?

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 01:04 AM
First, this thread is not made to start flame wars, so please respect everyone's opinion.

Now to my point - I think tennis matches (especially top 4 matches) are getting too predictable these days.

I mean, when Federer faced Djokovic in Rome, and was leading by a set and a break, did anybody not see Djokovic winning the match?

Yesterday in the SF, when Nadal returned from his injury session, was anyone not sure he would win the match? Heck, even before that, after he lost the first set, I knew he would win the match.

The Delpo-Federer match was very predictable as well.

There's just this scary pattern of matches latley with top 4 players (and Safin :cry:).

Your opinions...

BorisBeckerFan
05-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately you're correct. If Fed can get his act together he could still hopefully win a slam. If not I hope some of the players outside of the 4 can get some upsets just a little more often than they currently are.

sh@de
05-17-2009, 01:14 AM
It is quite predictable right now... well it has been so far anyway. Fed wins against all except top 4, where he'll win first or second set and just lose it in the third. Nadal just keeps beating Djokovic (this one could turn out different later on though...). Murray always beats Djoker and Federer...

It's true there isn't so much variation.

Deuce
05-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Well... the 3rd set tie-break between Djokovic and Nadal went back & forth several times... and it was good tennis. It was close enough and back & forth enough that the win could have gone either way. And so the only way that one could say that it was predictable would be to claim that the result was pre-determined, or fixed.

Unfortunately, in today's 'business before all else' era of what was once sport, the idea that some matches are fixed in order to increase someone's revenue somewhere along the line is not far-fetched.

To summarize... if you think that the tennis being played is honest and not fixed, then you err in believing that Djokovic - Nadal matches are predictable - especially mentioning yesterday's match between the two.

iamgoat
05-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Ok, if it's so predictable, predict for me this:

Next nadal vs djokovic match, who wins.
next nadal vs del potro match, who wins.
next federer vs djokovic match, who wins.
next federer vs murray match, who wins.
next murray vs del potro match, who wins.

BorisBeckerFan
05-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't think the matches are fixed but I do think they are somewhat predicatable as of late and think it has a little bit to do with the psyche of players in various match ups.

BorisBeckerFan
05-17-2009, 01:33 AM

First of all we don't know for sure that these match ups will ever occur again. We can safely assume so but we don't know. If the next time Djoko and Play is the US open 2011, who knows? If the next time they play is FO 2009 then for me the outcome is predicatable. I may be missusing this word as I don't mean it's a 100 percent lock but it should be mostly obvious that Nadal would take it. I think the fact that we don't know when players will face each other next is point on the side of unpredictable.

Fedexeon
05-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Emm, predictably good i guess. Or you prefer WTA kind of tennis where anyone in top 10 have chance getting into the final of those Premier Events but when it goes into Grand Slam Williams sisters would probably be owning everyone, and so we would have a lopsided final?

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 01:49 AM

Which surfaces? You know what, never mind. As long as it's best of 3:

Nadal
Nadal
Djokovic
Murray
Murray

Cenc
05-17-2009, 01:51 AM
yes it is!

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Emm, predictably good i guess. Or you prefer WTA kind of tennis where anyone in top 10 have chance getting into the final of those Premier Events but when it goes into Grand Slam Williams sisters would probably be owning everyone, and so we would have a lopsided final?

I would rather have a mix of the two. Not WTA where there is a new #1 every week, but also not a predictable pattern where the smae guy wins 4 titles in a row and in the same fashion.

I want to see some of the top 20 and lower top 10 pulling more upsets, winning some big titles too. I want to see matches end differently. Not only in terms of the final outcome, but also the match itself. It's been getting really predictable lately.

babbette
05-17-2009, 02:03 AM
People always feel this way during the clay season, to which one player is more dominant than the rest. Let's just wait for the rest of the season.

Maybe the less predicatable part has become grass season? (wimbledon)
I can admit I am not solidly sure if Rafa will win again. Sure he can win again but will it be now, let's wait and see. He needs to prove himself to me on grass again.

shadows
05-17-2009, 02:09 AM
I think it's good right now, there's levels of predictability and levels of uncertainty. It's kind of a nice balance because you know who's at the top but then there's still a chance for upsets.

There's the top 4, any of whom can beat the others on their given day (perhaps aside from clay) which keeps things interesting right up there, Rafa is standing well clear right now but 2-4 is becoming an interesting tussle and things will look closer once we're out of the clay season.

Then there's 5-10 (15), all of whom are ready to pounce if anyone slips up; Monfils and DelPo have both done Rafa this year, Tsonga and Roddick have both done Djokovic, Delpo and Verdasco have both done Murray, Wawrinka has done Fed and so on.

The problem for the guys ranked 5-10 is that the guys ranked 1-4 are all excellent, and to win a tournament the chances are that they'll have to go through 3 of them to do so.

I see DelPo winning a couple more against the top 4 this year, I see Tsonga taking a couple in the grass/hard season, Roddick will get a couple of wins over them, Verdasco I think will beat at least one of them at some point. For me it's quite exciting, that's ultimately going to be the test to see if someone can really break into that top bunch afterall.