PDA

View Full Version : Roger jealous of Novak?

babbette
05-17-2009, 02:46 AM
The reason I am wondering is because I read the bolded line-
http://www.tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx
.................................................. .
Post-match reaction from Rafael Nadal: "I love these matches, itīs really special to play these matches with an atmosphere like here and fighting all the time. I enjoy them a lot and in the end, if I lose I am sad when it is over but the next day I am happy to have lived these experiences."

Roger Federer, on whether Rafael Nadal's four-hour semifinal will give Federer an advantage in the Madrid final: "They asked me the same question in Australia and it wasn’t really. Well, those two guys take their time as well, so, it wasn’t really four hours. I don’t say that to take anything away from how they played because it was phenomenal and fantastic to watch but they do take their time and it was a best-of-three set match, so it wasn’t best-of-five.

"And we’ve done it many times, we’ve practiced hard and then we’ve come back the next day and done it all over again. I think that with the help of the adrenaline and the crowd, I’m sure he’s going to be the Rafa we know tomorrow."
.................................................. .............

It's as if with that answer he's trying to take away some of the magic of the match. As if he's jealous that someone has given Rafa the kind of clay match he hasn't given him in ages. I know I could be taking out of context and I shouldn't really accuse of him of jealousy based on a tiny answer, but come on we know Roger. Things like this come out of his mouth when he's not pleased. :) If Djokovic keeps being successful on court I wonder if he will be Roger's permanent diss bag, lmao.

Please not: I do not dislike Roger. I am a Roger fan too, but much moreso A nadal fan.

thejoe
05-17-2009, 02:50 AM
He's not dissing, he's telling the truth. It isn't like they were playing for four hours.

TMCW140
05-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Just sounds like a little dig at the time wasting between points with all the rituals. Djokovics service motion with all the bouncing took about 25mins when he was serving at match point down

slice bh compliment
05-17-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't think he is jealous of anyone, except maybe the way Rafa gets out of trouble with his heart and his mental toughness.

Deep down, though, he knows he's gotten through a TON of similar situations and come out the winner.

Back to your point...re: the bolded sentence above, I think he is just trying to say that Rafa will not be tired for the final. And he threw in a little passive aggressive comment about the way both those guys take the full 25 seconds between points.

All I read into it is that Roger is trying to be humble and take some pressure off himself. But he cannot help but prefer the way he plays (silky strokes, the beautiful game, a traditional cadence to the points, etc).

vtmike
05-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Its funny how you decided to focus on the other statement and neglect this,

"I don’t say that to take anything away from how they played because it was phenomenal and fantastic to watch"

Anyways that was the truth...Both wasted a lot of time on their serves & took medical timeouts...

Do you have a link to the post match interviews?

batz
05-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said here.

rubberduckies
05-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Basically, Federer is too narcissistic to allow anybody to praise the achievements of his rivals.

He believes that all praise should be directed to him. When that isn't happening, he will either praise himself or deride the accomplishments of others.

More proof that Federer has earned the ire of Nadal fans while Nadal has done nothing to deserve the hatred of Fed *****.

Gorecki
05-17-2009, 03:01 AM
no. he just called out on bs tactics by mr moonballer and mr retirement champ...

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 03:02 AM
It's as if with that answer he's trying to take away some of the magic of the match. As if he's jealous that someone has given Rafa the kind of clay match he hasn't given him in ages. I know I could be taking out of context and I shouldn't really accuse of him of jealousy based on a tiny answer, but come on we know Roger. Things like this come out of his mouth when he's not pleased. :) If Djokovic keeps being successful on court I wonder if he will be Roger's permanent diss bag, lmao.

nah, he even said in the very next line, "I don’t say that to take anything away from how they played because it was phenomenal and fantastic to watch..."
he was humbly stating that there is a good chance rafa will come out rejuvenated as he has before. he didn't seem jealous of djokovic at all since his response was more about facing rafa in the finals in a situation where rafa has had a tough match in the round before. eg.: the AO.

babbette
05-17-2009, 03:07 AM
nah, he even said in the very next line, "I don’t say that to take anything away from how they played because it was phenomenal and fantastic to watch..."
he was humbly stating that there is a good chance rafa will come out rejuvenated as he has before. he didn't seem jealous of djokovic at all since his response was more about facing rafa in the finals in a situation where rafa has had a tough match in the round before. eg.: the AO.

maybe you are right.

But if Novak somehow becomes the new RG finalist with Rafa, let's hope Roger won't give him hell on earth with his statementss:twisted: Roger can act like a b8tch on her period sometimes :lol:

mandy01
05-17-2009, 03:08 AM
More bullsh*t from *********s.Had it been Federer wasting time they'd have been the first ones to jump on him.He spoke very well throughout the interview and no,he isnt jealous.Sheesh :roll:

BorisBeckerFan
05-17-2009, 03:09 AM
This was not a diss. For me as a viewer it irks me to have to sit and wait up to 40 plus seconds between points. I love watching tennis but this takes away from the continuity of the sport. I love the NFL but man you can almost take a bathroom brake or go cook a hot dog between points. Was that really a 4 hour tennis match? Eventhough I'm not a Nadal fan I often speak highly of him because he deserves it but man it bugs me to no end watching him take up more than the alloted time not once or twice but many times during a match.

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Basically, Federer is too narcissistic to allow anybody to praise the achievements of his rivals.

He believes that all praise should be directed to him. When that isn't happening, he will either praise himself or deride the accomplishments of others.

More proof that Federer has earned the ire of Nadal fans while Nadal has done nothing to deserve the hatred of Fed *****.

geez, this federer character sounds so vile!
someone should lock this fellow up, hastily!
ha. rubberduckies, where in that quote did federer redirect the spotlight towards himself in a narcissistic fashion?
nowhere. on the contrary friend, he even praised the quality of the match and the quality of athlete rafa is, without overly kissing another person's rear end.

BorisBeckerFan
05-17-2009, 03:10 AM

So when are we going to hit some balls? I'm up for early this morning if you are!!

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Federer should sometimes shut his mouth at interviews, but this time he's spot on. The time taking from both Nadal and Djokovic was horrible yeserday. On ESPN they even showed at some point both took more than 40 (!!!) seconds between points.

vtmike
05-17-2009, 03:19 AM
Federer should sometimes shut his mouth at interviews, but this time he's spot on. The time taking from both Nadal and Djokovic was horrible yeserday. On ESPN they even showed at some point both took more than 40 (!!!) seconds between points.

Yes, the timer was turned after 30 seconds had passed between serves...and the timer was turned on a lot of times! But I am sure the umpire hesitate because of the ranking of players which is not right IMO...

mandy01
05-17-2009, 03:19 AM
And they got away with it.Disgusting.:roll: but its the same always,no?

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 03:20 AM
maybe you are right.

But if Novak somehow becomes the new RG finalist with Rafa, let's hope Roger won't give him hell on earth with his statementss:twisted: Roger can act like a b8tch on her period sometimes :lol:

haha, shiit happens. it's not like roger is the only one guilty of this. sampras has done it. roddick has done it, and to a greater degree at times: instead of being forthright, andy usually comes up with a coy, smart aleck, and at times underhanded remark. even djokovic himself is not a saint. but these actions are all fine in my book, since it heightens the drama ever so slightly, and shows that these people, with real, unscripted opinions, are HUMAN.

it's nothing compared to a press conference concerning a boxing fight.

Tennisfans1
05-17-2009, 03:22 AM
It doesn't matter what you think because its gonna change anything so HAHA

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 03:28 AM
And they got away with it.Disgusting.:roll: but its the same always,no?

No, yesterday was worse than usual. Add to that the injury timeouts by both players, and that's how you create a 4+ hours, 3-set match. I could have sworn there was one game that lasted longer than the whole Federer/Delpo match.

Add to that Nadal and Djokovic seemed to be in a contset of who bounces the ball more times.

Edit: I beleive it was longer than the Wimbeldon 2008 final (minus rain delays).

mandy01
05-17-2009, 03:38 AM
No, yesterday was worse than usual. Add to that the injury timeouts by both players, and that's how you create a 4+ hours, 3-set match. I could have sworn there was one game that lasted longer than the whole Federer/Delpo match.

Add to that Nadal and Djokovic seemed to be in a contset of who bounces the ball more times.

Edit: I beleive it was longer than the Wimbeldon 2008 final (minus rain delays). I meant they never get pulled up for it,so its not new.ATP should absolutely throw the rule book away altogether :roll:
I dont know if they were doing it on purpose but then the ***** shouldnt really complain if something is said about it by another player.I mean a 3 set match lasts this long? Credit to the high quality but the match could've finished way earlier , thats for sure.

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 03:39 AM
It doesn't matter what you think because its gonna change anything so HAHA

tell that to ghandi. it does matter. thinking is the root of every action, hence thinking changes/affects everything.

i hope your ability to comprehend a sentence is better than your ability to create a sentence.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 04:02 AM
he's definitely jealous especially after his last 2 losses to the Joker.

bizarre_opinion
05-17-2009, 04:29 AM
federer = 13 majors.

Novak = 1 major

yeah, i guess fed is jealous.

sh@de
05-17-2009, 04:54 AM
^ LOL yeah. This guy's good.

maximo
05-17-2009, 04:57 AM
tell that to ghandi.

This is comming from someone who thinks he's funny.

P_Agony
05-17-2009, 05:08 AM
federer = 13 majors.

Novak = 1 major

yeah, i guess fed is jealous.

Add to that Novak has a 0-9 H2H against Nadal on clay, while Federer at least has a 1-9 H2H. Yeah, Fed is jealous.

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm a big nole fan and I will admit that the time wasting is annoying. Roger was spot on. The reason it went for 4 hours, or atleast one of the reasons, is because both players took a rather long time in between points. However, he also mentioned it was a fantastic match as well.

gj011
05-17-2009, 06:13 AM

Exactly. This is just pathetic and petty from Federer. Nothing new really. His usual bag of tricks during interviews. It is especially bad to say something like this just before the upcoming final match.

gj011
05-17-2009, 06:16 AM
And again sorry Fed fanboys are blindly following their idol and are trying to take from and put down an amazing match Nadal and Djokovic played yesterday. Unbelievable.

bizarre_opinion
05-17-2009, 06:27 AM
And again sorry Fed fanboys are blindly following their idol and are trying to take from and put down an amazing match Nadal and Djokovic played yesterday. Unbelievable.

i think you need to stop smoking that crack mate. Novak plays one good game against nadal and you go and overdose on your crack pipe. The match was good, no denying that, but it only went over 4 hours because these 2 players abuse the rules. But then again, they maybe smoking the same stuff that your on.

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 06:29 AM
The truth is the match was 4 hours due to the excessive time in between,but that's not taking away from the great match they played. It's not like the longest match is always the best match, anyways. It was a great match and I even said before that tennis was the winner, however the OP is correct imo.

gj011
05-17-2009, 06:30 AM
i think you need to stop smoking that crack mate. Novak plays one good game against nadal and you go and overdose on your crack pipe. The match was good, no denying that, but it only went over 4 hours because these 2 players abuse the rules. But then again, they maybe smoking the same stuff that your on.

Don't respond to green trolls.

sh@de
05-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Don't respond to green trolls.

You mean I should stop responding to you? Yeah I think I should.

Fed is not jealous of Novak. This is his style. He speaks his mind in interviews. To be honest, I think it's better than if he just gave set phrases and answers. That'd be reaallly boring.

gj011
05-17-2009, 06:39 AM
The truth is the match was 4 hours due to the excessive time in between,but that's not taking away from the great match they played. It's not like the longest match is always the best match, anyways. It was a great match and I even said before that tennis was the winner, however the OP is correct imo.

No, that is not the truth and you are taking away from the match and doing that on purpose.
But I agree with you that OP is correct and that Federer is jealous and petty, just like the most of Federer's fans here.

greg09
05-17-2009, 06:47 AM
No, that is not the truth and you are taking away from the match and doing that on purpose.
But I agree with you that OP is correct and that Federer is jealous and petty, just like the most of Federer's fans here.

lets see here 13>1 yep, I bet he is jealous.

GasquetGOAT
05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
LOL THREAD FAIL.

babbette of late has become a sore loser making stupid anti Federer threads, taking Federer's words/sentences out of context and use them against him. But for what purpose? So people would like Nadal more? Not working very well is't? And never will.

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 10:27 AM
This is comming from someone who thinks he's funny.

how does your response relate, in even the slightest ways, to what i said.
learn how to spell. then maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to conjure a justifiable rebuttal.

maximo
05-17-2009, 10:30 AM
how does your response relate, in even the slightest ways, to what i said.
learn how to spell. then maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to conjure a justifiable rebuttal.

Arrogant posters crack me up

joeri888
05-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't hate Nadal nor do I hate Djokovic. I actually thought their semifinal was terrific. However, the timetaking was HORRIFIC. Not for the opponent, because they both like that, which is quite different from facing Federer or Roddick for instance. It's a drama for the fans really. We were watching more ball tossing, butt picking, ball bouncing and stuff than we were watching tennis. I have a feeling it's something the younger generation really does a lot. People like Nadal and djokovic do it, but guys like Federer, Safin or Roddick never seem to have trouble with it. Nor can i recall guys like Agassi or Sampras taking that much time.

zagor
05-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Not really but I like how you adress Nadal supporters as "fans" while Fed supporters are ******s according to you.I do love the irony.

no. he just called out on bs tactics by mr moonballer and mr retirement champ...

There you go speaking against Jesus Raf again.Beware the wrath of warrior Nadalettes in this forum,they will hunt you down for such blasphemous statements.

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Arrogant posters crack me up

oh, so you must think i'm funny as well?
ahha. GTFO.

maximo
05-17-2009, 01:22 PM
oh, so you must think i'm funny as well?
ahha. GTFO.

Oh, arrogant and stupid. My mistake.

aphex
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM

u fail on so many levels...

2 people in 1 thread telling u to GTFO

get it?

paulorenzo
05-17-2009, 07:20 PM

u fail on so many levels...

2 people in 1 thread telling u to GTFO

get it?

he doesn't get it. he'll never get it.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't hate Nadal nor do I hate Djokovic. I actually thought their semifinal was terrific. However, the timetaking was HORRIFIC. Not for the opponent, because they both like that, which is quite different from facing Federer or Roddick for instance. It's a drama for the fans really. We were watching more ball tossing, butt picking, ball bouncing and stuff than we were watching tennis. I have a feeling it's something the younger generation really does a lot. People like Nadal and djokovic do it, but guys like Federer, Safin or Roddick never seem to have trouble with it. Nor can i recall guys like Agassi or Sampras taking that much time.

Agassi + Fed match = most tennis you will ever see per unit of time spent on court :)

(Both guys love taking the ball early, it's a pleasure to watch).