PDA

View Full Version : this win for Fed means

Dutch-Guy
05-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Discuss...

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 09:33 AM
..that if he keeps it together mentally and just plays his game he has a good chance against Nadal.

drakulie
05-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Nadal needs a larger frame if he wants to beat the NEW KING OF CLAY.

Dutch-Guy
05-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Poll added.Vote and discuss...

rubberduckies
05-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Nadal needs a smaller frame so he'll have better [k]ontrol of the ball.

crazylevity
05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
...exactly that. A win for Federer.

I'm happy for the man. It's about time he started winning again, period. The fact that it's a ATP 1000, the fact that it was Nadal, the fact that it was on clay and in Spain, it's a bonus. But most importantly, Federer needed to win in order to stop his confidence from declining any further. He needed to win to send a message to the rest of the contenders that he's still in this, and he still can play good tennis. And he needed to prove to himself that the right tactics will give him a good chance against anyone, even Nadal on clay.

Now, enough celebrating. Federer still has a lot of work to do if he wants to give himself a fighting chance at Roland Garros.

babbette
05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
come on, this win means nothing to him. His celebration was dead.

DarthFed
05-17-2009, 09:37 AM
option 2, he will lose RG if they both make the final

joeri888
It means that he should be confident in himself, that he can rally with Nadal, and that he's still got what it takes if he plays his best. However, RG will not be the place to have that great day. I was more thinking London grass.

Jchurch
I think that Federer's game is finally starting to click again. We saw him running around backhands and ripping his forehand. That second serve ace when they were at deuce in the last game was just amazing. His serve is getting better. It was quite fast and had well placement today. What was even more impressive was how he won nearly 70% percent of his second serves. Will he beat Nadal at the FO? I doubt it. I think he will have to play the game of his life.

matchmaker
05-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't think it means anything.

Moreso, I think it would have been more interesting if there was more battle. What can you learn from a 6-4, 6-4 match which was quickly over?

Yes, attacking play can work against Nadal. But in a best of 5? Probably not. That is all there is.

Dutch-Guy
05-17-2009, 09:56 AM
This win may mean something for him,you know.When was the last time Rafa got straight setted in 1h22' on clay?

defrule
05-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Time will tell if he stands a chance in Paris but the most I hope for is a less humiliating defeat than last year.

danb
05-17-2009, 10:01 AM
He still played with too much fear. He's got the tools to beat Nadal but I still think he is scared of Nadal hence he won't repeat this win anytime soon. His only chance for RG is somebody else to beat Rafa.

AprilFool
05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Roger can still beat the man who is probably the greates clay court player ever on his surface. Getting a 15th shield ain't too shabby either.
He tried a new strategy today against Nadal and it worked.

Dutch-Guy
05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
He still played with too much fear. He's got the tools to beat Nadal but I still think he is scared of Nadal hence he won't repeat this win anytime soon. His only chance for RG is somebody else to beat Rafa.

So you mean this win was a fluke?

Blinkism
05-17-2009, 10:03 AM
...exactly that. A win for Federer.

I'm happy for the man. It's about time he started winning again, period. The fact that it's a ATP 1000, the fact that it was Nadal, the fact that it was on clay and in Spain, it's a bonus. But most importantly, Federer needed to win in order to stop his confidence from declining any further. He needed to win to send a message to the rest of the contenders that he's still in this, and he still can play good tennis. And he needed to prove to himself that the right tactics will give him a good chance against anyone, even Nadal on clay.

Now, enough celebrating. Federer still has a lot of work to do if he wants to give himself a fighting chance at Roland Garros.

Smart post.

I agree with everything you said, but want to add that his tactics might have worked against a tired Nadal, but he should definitely come up with something better in a 5 setter against a 100% Nadal. Then we'll have an interesting FO (if they do meet, that is).

Lotto
05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I think that Roger can look at this match today, see what he did wrong and see what he did right, see what Rafa did wrong and what he did right, and then improve on them points come Roland Garros. He needs to celebrate this victory BUT work really hard starting Tuesday until the French starts. He's been moving great, but he could move better, he's mixing it up well, but could be better. He needs to make his return more consistent, yes it was good but there were a few unnecassary ones.

I know harsh, but if he wants to win the "big one" for him at RG he's gonna have to do it. Fair play to him though and I'm sincerely hoping he pulls off a win finally at RG. Good luck Rog.

Dan007
05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Happy for Federer he won his first title of the year against Rafa on clay, but he has no chance against Rafa at the French. Same scenario as 2007 Hamburg.

AprilFool
05-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Happy for Federer he won his first title of the year against Rafa on clay, but he has no chance against Rafa at the French. Same scenario as 2007 Hamburg.

Possibly. But England is sure looking better now.

Claimant
05-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Nadal has to reach FO final first..

Winners or Errors
05-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Didn't like any of the poll choices. Looking for, "Federer executed a strategy today and was successful. He will head into RG more confident. He has a chance to win but it's far from guaranteed."

joeri888
05-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Still feel that IF there's anyone going to beat Nadal at the French Open, it's by winning in straights. It's gotta be like easy going to 4-4 in the first set, and then Nadal needs to have a rare 'off-time' for 4 games or so.. Set and a break. It'll take a guy of great magnitude like Federer or Djokovic, and a bad day for Nadal.. But it needs to be lethal, it needs to be quick. And even then..

aldeayeah
05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
More like "Federer finds his first serve. It happened to be hidden in the stronghold of his rival all along".

clayman2000
05-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Considering he has lost 1 match to a man not named Federer since Monte Carlo 2005 i highly doubt that will not happen.

Also, as much as Federer showed his greatness today, there is no doubt that Madrid was a court that favoured fast hitters. If you dont believe me, look at Andy Roddick. His serve was a very good weapon. Also, the ball is still bouncing high, but it is moving through the court farther. Im just watching the match now, its in the middle of the second set and its no surprise that we had some big hitters (Ljubicic, Roddick, DP) go far in this tourney.

All i can say is that Nadal has to step it up. I feel like he is overestimating the ammount that the court slows down on clay becuase of his sucess on the hard courts. You can just see that the BH that won him the AO, is no longer an attacking weapon on the clay. He can hit it well when he wants to, but he seems to be looping it a lit, and he keeps hitting it DTL, and that puts himself in a bad position on the court.

If im U.Toni, i think you tell Rafa to go for more. Now i know i am picking out his game so much, but if he wants to win the FO like he did last year, he is not going to get it so easy by playing typical clay tennis.

Anyways, Nadal is still the best Clay courter, but should remember he is human

Spider
05-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think its about the RG but for the rest of the year. This win should give him the confidence to win back his Wimbledon crown and retain his US open title this year.

At the slams, Nadal is his only obstacle and if he can conquer him, there is no stopping Fed. :)

Gugafan
05-17-2009, 10:59 AM
It is very rare to see Nadal play a claycourt match without breaking serve. Federer served very well today, he never put to much pressure on himself by getting into 0-30 or 0-15 positions on serve.

Having won his first title this year, Federer will certainly have regained some belief in beating Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. Some will argue, Nadal was 'gassed' but was still playing well enough to beat most players.

Cesc Fabregas
05-17-2009, 11:05 AM
It is very rare to see Nadal play a claycourt match without breaking serve. Federer served very well today, he never put to much pressure on himself by getting into 0-30 or 0-15 positions on serve.

Having won his first title this year, Federer will certainly have regained some belief in beating Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. Some will argue, Nadal was 'gassed' but was still playing well enough to beat most players.

Thats because this tournment is basically a hardcourt.

sureshs
05-17-2009, 11:27 AM
This win for Fed means that Nadal will hand him a bagel in RG, if Fed even makes it to the final.

It is Nadal's favorite tactic - tank a match and get the limelight away from him. Get everyone talking about Federer now, while Nadal rests and comes back in better form than ever.

boredone3456
05-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't think its about the RG but for the rest of the year. This win should give him the confidence to win back his Wimbledon crown and retain his US open title this year.

At the slams, Nadal is his only obstacle and if he can conquer him, there is no stopping Fed. :)

Nadal is not his only obstacle at the slams, his loses to other players not named Nadal this year are giving all of those players confidence against Fed equal to confidence Fed probably got by beating Nadal. Berdych almost beat Fed in Australia, Djokovic and Murray have beaten Fed this year and Djokovic has beaten Fed at a slam before.

If Fed thinks Nadal is the only threat to him at slams now, it is a gross overconfidence that he cannot afford if he truly wants to win back Wimbledon. The rest of the field is only getting better and Fed needs to keep this in mind as well as keep working on the Nadal problem, becuase him finally beating Nadal for the first time in about a year doesn't mean he has solved Nadal at all. Fed needs to realize the rest of the field is catching up and he is not completely unstoppable anymore against people not named Nadal.

chief wiggum
05-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I can't wait to see Federer get schooled again at RG by Nadal. That is, if he makes the final this year.

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 11:34 AM
it means that he now has 15 master series and for those who said the H2H will end as 20-6 are wrong.

Gasquetrules
05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
The 2,200 foot Madrid elevation gave Fed a chance to beat Nadal. Fortunately, Fed adjusted his tactics and held his nerve and took advantage of the conditions to take down Nadal and win a 15th -- and totlally unexpected -- Masters Shield.

But everything still favors Nadal in Paris, and I don't believe Federer will make the final there... much less have a chance to win the title.

But the win in Madrid may do enough to restore Roger's sense of self-belief that he will now become a threat to win Wimbledon. Federer can still win the big one on grass, but only if his confidence is intact, only if he believes he can. And the win in Madrid is huge for this reason alone. Once again Roger Federer seems capable of winning Wimbledon.

fed_the_savior
05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
If Fed had lost, I'd give him a better chance at the French Open. Now he will come in thinking he's "figured it out," and be overconfident.

Dutch-Guy
05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
If Fed had lost, I'd give him a better chance at the French Open. Now he will come in thinking he's "figured it out," and be overconfident.

Fed knows that he's still the huge fav to win RG.But this win will up his confidence for sure.

Claimant
05-31-2009, 11:00 AM

Only few would have taken this into consideration at the time...

theduh
05-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Only few would have taken this into consideration at the time...

Because everyone assumed (including me) that Nadal is automatic in FO final but we were proven wrong.

maximo
05-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Thats because this tournment is basically a hardcourt.

The excuses flooding out i see, just face it, Murray has the biggest ever chance to win a slam...

Cesc Fabregas
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
The excuses flooding out i see, just face it, Murray has the biggest ever chance to win a slam...

Read the date this thread was when Federer beat Nadal at Madrid.