PDA

View Full Version : Madrid analysis

abudhabi tennis
05-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Federer:
First Serve 60%
Second Serve- Awesome kick serves, had Nadal way out
Forehand-Just incredible, killer shot
backhand- Does not need one with the huge Forehand. Think he should just serve, volley and forehand. Cut out the backhand from his game.

Nadal- exposed as a moon baller.Pretty one dimensional game , just trying to go to Feds backhand and waiting for an error. This time next year Djoko gonna crush Nadal, maybe even DelPotro or Dimitrov.
Nadal still favourite for RG , but not Wimbedon or US Open

mzzmuaa
05-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Nadal is still heads and shoulders above everyone on clay.
His MP saves against Djokovic were incredible. He just wasn't as consistent as usual. His OCD was probably upset by this unusual tournament.

Federer finally has a reply for Nadal's pinning of Federer's backhand. It will be interesting to see how Toni can respond to this.

AprilFool
05-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Federer:
First Serve 60%
Second Serve- Awesome kick serves, had Nadal way out
Forehand-Just incredible, killer shot
backhand- Does not need one with the huge Forehand. Think he should just serve, volley and forehand. Cut out the backhand from his game.

Nadal- exposed as a moon baller.Pretty one dimensional game , just trying to go to Feds backhand and waiting for an error. This time next year Djoko gonna crush Nadal, maybe even DelPotro or Dimitrov.
Nadal still favourite for RG , but not Wimbedon or US Open

Nice analyses though I would add the drop shot. Nobody does it better.
Welcome.

thejoe
05-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I think it's hilarious that people are doubting Nadal at RG.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Really? I thought the reason why he won today was because his backhand was pretty solid.

BTW, if you ever play me without a backhand I will crush you.

All-rounder
05-17-2009, 11:00 AM
This is what happened after hamburg 07

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 11:01 AM

agree. Fed played well today and I think the stats show, but this means nothing for FO. Best of 5, slower conditions, much more suited for nadal, fed won't have his serve to rely on. If fed indeed makes it to the final, you can expect a similar beating like last year.

All-rounder
05-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Really? I thought the reason why he won today was because his backhand was pretty solid.

BTW, if you ever play me without a backhand I will crush you.
Federer hit winners off his forehand
He used his backhand for defence as he knew that all nadal would do is attack the backhand
So federer would use his Inside out instead of the backhand
Also the use of drop shots it seems federer done his homework and may have watched djokovic the previous day

All-rounder
05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
agree. Fed played well today and I think the stats show, but this means nothing for FO. Best of 5, slower conditions, much more suited for nadal, fed won't have his serve to rely on. If fed indeed makes it to the final, you can expect a similar beating like last year.
Similar as in straight sets not bagels and breadsticks.......I hope

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Federer hit winners off his forehand
He used his backhand for defence as he knew that all nadal would do is attack the backhand
So federer would use his Inside out instead of the backhand
Also the use of drop shots it seems federer done his homework and may have watched djokovic the previous day

He was hitting his backhand much deeper than usual for most of the match. That's the reason that Nadal couldn't keep hitting the cross court forehand special today.

mzzmuaa
05-17-2009, 11:14 AM
He was hitting his backhand much deeper than usual for most of the match. That's the reason that Nadal couldn't keep hitting the cross court forehand special today.

No. Federer always hits his backhand that deep against Nadal. See AO 09, Wimbledon 08, and RG 08.
Federer cut the points shorter in numerous ways today (DTL forehand, dropshot, attacking net).
That's what made the difference.

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Similar as in straight sets not bagels and breadsticks.......I hope

oh yeah ofcourse. As I've said before many times, hopefully it will be more than just 4 games.

NamRanger
05-17-2009, 11:18 AM
No. Federer always hits his backhand that deep against Nadal. See AO 09, Wimbledon 08, and RG 08.
Federer cut the points shorter in numerous ways today (DTL forehand, dropshot, attacking net).
That's what made the difference.

Exactly.

I think what Federer can take from this is the fact that he has become mentally stronger. Despite the fact that he was facing his rival on his worst surface, and Nadal's best, and despite the fact that he was facing a hostile soccer like crowd, Federer still came up with the goods especially when under pressure.

This was a good test of where Federer is mentally; and we all know the mental game plays a big part of the game at the professional level. Federer passed this trial by fire with flying colors.

thejoe
05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Do you have slightly more respect for him now, Nam?

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Exactly.

I think what Federer can take from this is the fact that he has become mentally stronger. Despite the fact that he was facing his rival on his worst surface, and Nadal's best, and despite the fact that he was facing a hostile soccer like crowd, Federer still came up with the goods especially when under pressure.

This was a good test of where Federer is mentally; and we all know the mental game plays a big part of the game at the professional level. Federer passed this trial by fire with flying colors.

that's true. I thought it was over when he was faced with 2 bps when he was serving for the match. I was like ****, nadal is going to take this now, but surprisingly fed did it.

bizarre_opinion
05-17-2009, 11:31 AM
one thing i liked about feds play today was that, he went for it on his second serve. Also, he beat him on his own turf, at home, infront of the hostile crowd. End of story.

DarthFed
05-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I liked the use of the dropper and running around the backhand to hit a FH

Jchurch
05-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Same. I understand that to him it ruins "the beauty of the point", but maybe he now would rather get to the next round or take the trophy home. As for the running around the backhand, I liked that also. I hope at the FO he will try and do that as well as Wimbledon.

All-rounder
05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Me too its like nadal is forcing him to hit a backhand and federer shrugs it off with and Inside out forehand

CyBorg
05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
The serve was better, but it probably won't be as effective on the Roland Garros clay. I just don't see Roger getting as many free points.

DarthFed
05-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Probably not...but thats the beauty (if your not into aces) of CC tennis, the serve is almost irrelevant

Cyan
05-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Maybe they should officially make Madrid the 5th slam so Fed can win a slam on clay?

tennis-hero
05-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe they should officially make Madrid the 5th slam so Fed can win a slam on clay?

we already have RG and wimbledon as clay court slams

and Roger has won on green clay ;)