PDA

View Full Version : Is NADAL The KING OF TENNIS (yes/no)?

GasquetGOAT
05-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Simple poll... Yes or No.

No other explanation/evidence/justification required (although welcome).

GasquetGOAT
05-17-2009, 08:50 PM
bump for more votes:twisted:

abmk
05-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Of course , he is ....does this require a poll ??

iamgoat
05-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Troll. go away.

jamesblakefan#1
05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Nadal is the King of Burgers. That is his secret to vanquishing Vegetarian Federer.

GasquetGOAT
05-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Of course , he is ....does this require a poll ??

Look at the current poll, clearly more than 60% of people don't agree. ;)

GasquetGOAT
05-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Nadal is the King of Burgers. That is his secret to vanquishing Vegetarian Federer.

LOL, funny sig.:)

joeri888
05-18-2009, 05:12 AM
We'll have to wait and see. If he can conquer Roland Garros and Wimbledon again, I'd say yes.

bizarre_opinion
05-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Buhahahahaha

King of Aces
05-18-2009, 06:09 AM
He has won every grand slam since the FO last year.....he is ranked #1 in the world. I think its safe to say he is the King of Tennis right now.

BHud
05-18-2009, 06:14 AM
He has won every grand slam since the FO last year.....he is ranked #1 in the world. I think its safe to say he is the King of Tennis right now.
What...did you forget about a little tournament called the US Open? Get your facts straight King!

Max G.
05-18-2009, 06:56 AM
He is the current #1 player by far.

King of Aces
05-18-2009, 08:11 AM
What...did you forget about a little tournament called the US Open? Get your facts straight King!

Thats true bit on the other hand I left out the olympics gold medal.

So lets recap:

Nadal has won the FO, Wimbledon, The olympics, and the AO, and is ranked #1.

I think that qualifies him as the current King of tennis.

srvnvly
05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Thats true bit on the other hand I left out the olympics gold medal.

So lets recap:

Nadal has won the FO, Wimbledon, The olympics, and the AO, and is ranked #1.

I think that qualifies him as the current King of tennis.

Of all time? Just for now? The question is not specific. Rafa is an awesome talent. Period. He may become the King of Tennis, but you can't ignore Rod Laver's 2 calendar grand slams, nor Steffi's golden slam

King of Aces
05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Of all time? Just for now?

Just for now.

henryshli
05-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Yes because he is current world No.1

Mick
05-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Rafa is the idol of my idol :D

_________

Rafa is my idol, says grand slam-seeking Safina
May 17, 11:35 am EDT

MADRID, May 17 (Reuters) - World number one Dinara Safina is using men’s counterpart and claycourt maestro Rafael Nadal as her inspiration as she bids for a first grand slam title at the French Open starting later this month.

The Russian won a second successive claycourt title in Madrid on Sunday when she overpowered Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki and is hoping to go one better than last year at Roland Garros when she lost in the final to Ana Ivanovic.

World number one Nadal has won four straight French Open crowns and the Spaniard is bidding to become the first player to win all three claycourt Masters events in one year in Sunday’s Madrid Open final against Roger Federer.

“At the moment I can say that my idol is Nadal and I am trying to play like him,” the 23-year-old, younger sister of former men’s number one Marat Safin, told a news conference.

“The truth is I respect him a great deal and I am trying to be at his level.”

more at:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AlHfPvIazXbFRQapYUeumHI4v7YF?slug=reu-womenmadridsafina_pix&prov=reuters&type=lgns

veroniquem
05-18-2009, 08:39 AM
"King", that's a little medieval isn't it? He's #1 but it's not why he's my favorite. He's my favorite because he gives us a lot of dramatic, spectacular, unforgettable matches like the Madrid semi.

veroniquem
05-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Rafa is the idol of my idol :D

_________

Rafa is my idol, says grand slam-seeking Safina
May 17, 11:35 am EDT

MADRID, May 17 (Reuters) - World number one Dinara Safina is using men’s counterpart and claycourt maestro Rafael Nadal as her inspiration as she bids for a first grand slam title at the French Open starting later this month.

The Russian won a second successive claycourt title in Madrid on Sunday when she overpowered Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki and is hoping to go one better than last year at Roland Garros when she lost in the final to Ana Ivanovic.

World number one Nadal has won four straight French Open crowns and the Spaniard is bidding to become the first player to win all three claycourt Masters events in one year in Sunday’s Madrid Open final against Roger Federer.

“At the moment I can say that my idol is Nadal and I am trying to play like him,” the 23-year-old, younger sister of former men’s number one Marat Safin, told a news conference.

“The truth is I respect him a great deal and I am trying to be at his level.”

more at:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AlHfPvIazXbFRQapYUeumHI4v7YF?slug=reu-womenmadridsafina_pix&prov=reuters&type=lgns
Jelena, Safina, Serena... Nice to see the WTA cheerleading for Nadal :)
You go girls!

GasquetGOAT
05-18-2009, 09:21 AM
He's my favorite because he gives us a lot of dramatic, spectacular, unforgettable matches like the Madrid semi.

I agree, and don't forget the Madrid Final is pretty unforgettable as well/ ;) :twisted:

GasquetGOAT
05-19-2009, 08:08 AM
YES 17 31.48%
NO 23 42.59%
Moonballer 14 25.93%

Only 30% say yes? Come on people, he is the current No.1 isn't he? Where are all the *********s, need their votes! ;)

P_Agony
05-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Currently he is the king of tennis. He's also a moonballer alright.

I wouldn't say he's the overall king of tennis. Neither are Federer, Sampras, Laver, etc.

There is only one king of tennis and that's Sanotro.

TheTruth
05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
"King", that's a little medieval isn't it? He's #1 but it's not why he's my favorite. He's my favorite because he gives us a lot of dramatic, spectacular, unforgettable matches like the Madrid semi.

Exactly! Lol at those who think it's about biceps. It's about tennis first, and foremost. Rafa's tennis is a real treat!

TheTruth
05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
That's really interesting coming from Safina. On TTC they're running a short about idols, and she said she didn't have a need for one since she had her own brother to look up to, but I guess Safina has great taste!

Leublu tennis
05-19-2009, 01:44 PM
"King", that's a little medieval isn't it? He's #1 but it's not why he's my favorite. He's my favorite because he gives us a lot of dramatic, spectacular, unforgettable matches like the Madrid semi.I think Djokovic played a part in that.

rubberduckies
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Only 30% say yes? Come on people, he is the current No.1 isn't he? Where are all the *********s, need their votes! ;)

There aren't that many Nadalfans on this forum.
It just seems like there are so many of us because our posts are so excellent and intellectually rigorous.

Leublu tennis
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, I can't see the "no" votes. I voted "yes" but would have liked to vote "yes" to "moonball king of tennis".

sh@de
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
So you can't vote for options 1 and 3 or 2 and 3? :p. j/kj/k

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I think Djokovic played a part in that.
Definitely, Djoko was superb. Nadal brings the best out of his opponents because they have to be almost perfect to have a chance at beating him.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Lol at option number 3 on the poll.

Its called clearance, not moonballing!

pricey_aus
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Nadal hits the ball to flat for my liking.

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Exactly! Lol at those who think it's about biceps. It's about tennis first, and foremost. Rafa's tennis is a real treat!
It's about passion: not muscles, not technique, passion and that's what Nadal brings to the plate.

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:39 PM
It's about passion: not muscles, not technique, passion and that's what Nadal brings to the plate.

I'm glad to see that you admit that nadal has no muscles or technique, don't believe me? Re-read what you wrote

Noveson
05-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm glad to see that you admit that nadal has no muscles or technique, don't believe me? Re-read what you wrote

:rolleyes:What are you a five-year-old? It is not difficult to understand what he is saying.

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Saying it's not about... doesn't mean they're not present, it just means they're not what matters the most even though they matter too.

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
:rolleyes:What are you a five-year-old? It is not difficult to understand what he is saying.

Just read it, you'll know

GasquetGOAT
05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
There aren't that many Nadalfans on this forum.
It just seems like there are so many of us because our posts are so excellent and intellectually rigorous.

Sorry to break it to you but there aren't really any quality posts from any of the *********s lately and yet they are so many of you. Goes to show the average intellectual quality of *********s on this board. Except for Zaragoza I must add, he/she maybe biased but he/she is the only one who posts quality stuff from time to time.

Mansewerz
05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Definitely, Djoko was superb. Nadal brings the best out of his opponents because they have to be almost perfect to have a chance at beating him.

OMG, you cannot compliment Djokovic without tooting Nadal's horn. Why can't you just say Djokovic played great tennis because he is capable of that kind of tennis? You're infatuation with nadal is rather annoying.

scraps234
05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
federer is the king...

GasquetGOAT
05-19-2009, 09:58 PM
federer is the king...

But the king is long dead, says Mrs Djokovic...

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Goes to show how biased against Nadal the majority of this board is. Pathetic.

Mick
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM

they are still upset that nadal took away the number 1 spot from king federer :)

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
well he's #1, so ATM he's the king. but he's not the overall king - sampras is. and he's a moonballer.

he qualifies for each

GasquetGOAT
05-20-2009, 05:33 AM

Not really, just shows maybe if Nadal stops making excuses after a loss he'd have won more fans? No?

King of Aces
05-20-2009, 05:39 AM
well he's #1, so ATM he's the king. but he's not the overall king - sampras is. and he's a moonballer.

he qualifies for each

Wow Moonballing must be a great strategy because Nadal is doing pretty well at it according to you.

Why dont you start the Bolleteri school of moonballing since it seems to be such an effective strategy. :confused:

Seriusly what the hell are you smoking??? Nadal hits the ball with more RPMs on it than anyone in the history of tennis includung Roger Federer......how can you call his amazing forehand a "moon ball".:confused:

Pirao
05-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Not really, just shows maybe if Nadal stops making excuses after a loss he'd have won more fans? No?

Which excuses? You mean, like Federer never makes excuses after a loss? :twisted:

helloworld
05-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Now? Yes. All time? No.

Pirao
05-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Now? Yes. All time? No.

I'm pretty sure it means now, it's pretty obvious he isn't the best player of all time right now.

GasquetGOAT
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Which excuses? You mean, like Federer never makes excuses after a loss? :twisted:

Federer is an old man, history. Why are you still talking about him?

Nadal is the current No.1, GOAT candidate, with achievements already surpasses Agassi. Tennis is all about Nadal right now, can we focus? Can you do that?

What I don't understand is, since we all know Nadal is God of tennis, why is he always tired after a loss? Or has blisters? Or tired while having blisters?

thetaxman
05-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Nadal is the king of picking.

jimbo333
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't actually know what a moomballer is, but voted for it anyway:)

GasquetGOAT
05-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Nadal is the king of picking.

As in picking excuses? ;) I have to disagree. He always use the same excuse which is so boring. I'd rather watching him moonballing.

jimbo333
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM

I'm guessing from your name that you may be slightly biased in this discussion?

And what is the "King of tennis" anyway, criteria anyone?

vndesu
05-20-2009, 11:30 AM

same goes toward federer.
yeah nadal is good for winning everything but us open, but look at how long federer was #1 and how much he dominated.

if nadal were to be king as of right now then federer should have been emperor back then.

but as for now nadal is good

King of Aces
05-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't actually know what a moomballer is, but voted for it anyway:)

Thats because there are no moonballers on the tour anymore.

Moonballing is a style of play where one mere lobs back as high as the moon over and over again until the opponent misses.

Its sorta of like being a pusher.

wangs78
05-20-2009, 11:31 AM

WTF are you talking about? He didn't win the USO!

dadozen
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Nadal still lacks lots of things to be considered King of Tennis. I mean, he's the #1 for less than a year and people already discuss that?

But, because of his age, he does have potential to become. Let's wait and see.

jimbo333
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Thats because there are no moonballers on the tour anymore.

Moonballing is a style of play where one mere lobs back as high as the moon over and over again until the opponent misses.

Its sorta of like being a pusher.

Right I understand:)

I think this style was invented in the 70's to beat Jimmy Connors, who liked to attack absolutely everything, and struggled a bit when there was absolutely no pace on the ball:)

Moonballing probably ended when he retired, as nobody attacks like him anymore:)

Pirao
05-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Federer is an old man, history. Why are you still talking about him?

Nadal is the current No.1, GOAT candidate, with achievements already surpasses Agassi. Tennis is all about Nadal right now, can we focus? Can you do that?

What I don't understand is, since we all know Nadal is God of tennis, why is he always tired after a loss? Or has blisters? Or tired while having blisters?

Wow, you're full of questions. Let me ask some too: Why don't you answer my question? Why do you try to divert attention? Are you trolling?

jimbo333
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Yes way too many questions. I'll answer one to get one out of the way for you:)

I don't think he is tired while having blisters.

jimbo333
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Right, I have no idea what I'm taking about, I'm going down the pub:)

GasquetGOAT
05-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Wow, you're full of questions. Let me ask some too: Why don't you answer my question? Why do you try to divert attention? Are you trolling?

Have I not answered your question? Really? Can you read?

3 most common excuses of Nadal, among many others...

Pirao
05-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Have I not answered your question? Really? Can you read?

Like Federer never makes excuses after a loss? That was my question, you haven't answered it.

Also, show me were Nadal made excuses after his recent loss to Federer.

King of Aces
05-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Hey give us some time. Nadal fans are not quite as good at excuses as fed fans are . You guys have way more practice .

velkov
05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
yes for sure !!!

raiden031
05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
NO!! If he stays at #1 for 3 more years, then we'll talk!

GasquetGOAT
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Like Federer never makes excuses after a loss? That was my question, you haven't answered it.

No one said Federer never makes excuses, but like I said Federer is an old man, history. Why are you still talking about him?

Nadal is the current No.1, GOAT candidate. Tennis is all about Nadal right now, this thread is about Nadal, so can you focus?

Also, show me were Nadal made excuses after his recent loss to Federer

There you go, sounds like an excuse to me. Not the first time though.

he said immediately after the match, “the surface was faster than the courts I’ve been playing on recently and suited him better.”

http://www.madrid-open.com/site/news/6/3331

Now, you haven't answered my question. Why don't you answer my question? Why do you try to divert attention? Are you trolling?

vtmike
05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
No one said Federer never makes excuses, but like I said Federer is an old man, history. Why are you still talking about him?

Nadal is the current No.1, GOAT candidate. Tennis is all about Nadal right now, this thread is about Nadal, so can you focus?

There you go, sounds like an excuse to me. Not the first time though.

he said immediately after the match, “the surface was faster than the courts I’ve been playing on recently and suited him better.”

http://www.madrid-open.com/site/news/6/3331

Now, you haven't answered my question. Why don't you answer my question? Why do you try to divert attention? Are you trolling?

Thats not very nice of Nadal...He should try to be more humble and not make excuses after losing fair & square...

bumfluff
05-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Is he the king? NO! He is the Prince!

Federer is most definitely the king, however the king is not always the stronger fighter. The king is older and wiser with much experience under his belt and fantastic achievements to make his name, with the possibility of having his name installed within the halls of greatness.

The prince is young and impetuous, but wins over the hearts of his people through his presence and power. He always looks up to and respects the king, but looks forward to the possibility of one day taking over the reigns and carving his own path to greatness. But things can always get in the way of that...

GasquetGOAT
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Thats not very nice of Nadal...He should try to be more humble and not make excuses after losing fair & square...

Some would say he is arrogant...they maybe right. But who cares? He is still God of tennis. No?

maddogz32
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
he isnt yet but he will be

GasquetGOAT
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Is he the king? NO! He is the Prince!

Federer is most definitely the king, however the king is not always the stronger fighter. The king is older and wiser with much experience under his belt and fantastic achievements to make his name, with the possibility of having his name installed within the halls of greatness.

The prince is young and impetuous, but wins over the hearts of his people through his presence and power. He always looks up to and respects the king, but looks forward to the possibility of one day taking over the reigns and carving his own path to greatness. But things can always get in the way of that...

Great post! And Djokovic is the knight that's planning the assassination of the Prince. lol.

Blinkism
05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
He is the king, right now... He's the best on hard courts and on grass.

His only rivals on clay are Federer and Roddick (who is clearly #2 on clay now).

LOL

Ocean Drive
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Simple poll... Yes or No.

No other explanation/evidence/justification required (although welcome).

He is number one in the rankings, so what do you think Sherlock Holmes?

GasquetGOAT
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
He is number one in the rankings, so what do you think Sherlock Holmes?

See where I voted in the poll? That's what I think.

MethodTennis
05-22-2009, 01:00 AM
40 *******s have voted. When he doesnt lose a set at all 4 slams in 1 year ill say he's king of tennis. How can you call someone king of tennis when the havent won the US open.

DarthMaul
05-22-2009, 01:03 AM
No, he's not the king of tennis. IMO, the king is Pete Sampras, who is about to be dethroned by Roger Federer. Nadal has to win at least 14 slams in order to compete for that title.

MethodTennis
05-22-2009, 01:06 AM
He is the king, right now... He's the best on hard courts and on grass.

His only rivals on clay are Federer and Roddick (who is clearly #2 on clay now).

LOL

roddick is not no 2 on clay lol its been his worst surface through-out his carear. The madrid clay courts are some of the fastest clay courts you can find the french courts are slower i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt make quarterfinals in france. I think some-one on these forums describe the madrid courts as concret with uneven red dirt on them. My fav player is roddick and always have been even tho im from Scotland.

tennisplaya
05-22-2009, 01:58 AM
In the right corner Presenting....

The King of Hard courts:

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/nadal415.jpg

The King of Roland Garros:

http://lebronpleasesavenewyork.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/1a0197c40db1e2b27c2a805207d52d29-getty-tennis-fra-open-roland-garros.jpg?w=510&h=467

The King of Wimbledon:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/Layzze/The%20rest/Nadal.jpg

The King Of the Olympics:

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/image/upload_5c8392cc_11b9dc46c3f__7ff7_00000013.jpg

And still the Undisputed King of Tennis, Mr Rafael Nadal.

bumfluff
05-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Great post! And Djokovic is the knight that's planning the assassination of the Prince. lol.

I would say Murray is more of the knight as he has more battling qualities than Djokovic. I think Djokovic is more like the servant who has false pretentions of being a Brutus.