PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who plays sports knows that 24 hours is enough to recover

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 03:54 PM
You don't need a rest day after a long 3 setter. Although I'll admit that Rafa looked like crap, his match with joker had nothing to do with that. A 4 hour tennis match won't cause premature fatigue 24 hours later. Get real people.

tennis-hero
05-17-2009, 03:59 PM
he lost because he was outplayed

he didn't get a look at the serve

and LOOK HOW WELL ROG CONVERTED BREAK POINTS

THAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roddickalltheway
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM
roger played well today. I still don't think he will stand a chance and RG though, that is Rafa's house.

T1000
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Rafa fans need an excuse for this so they're gonna use the obvious one, he was tired. Most of the match was bouncing the ball and wasting time between points. The match may have been 3 hours tops with out all that nonsense

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 04:03 PM
he lost because he was outplayed

he didn't get a look at the serve

and LOOK HOW WELL ROG CONVERTED BREAK POINTS

THAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Roger didn't choke his chances away and, when Rafa got his chance late in the 2nd set, he choked!

roger played well today. I still don't think he will stand a chance and RG though, that is Rafa's house.

Agreed that his chances are slim, but I've still gotta believe. He's gotta be mentally perfect to win.

Schills
05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
You don't need a rest day after a long 3 setter. Although I'll admit that Rafa looked like crap, his match with joker had nothing to do with that. A 4 hour tennis match won't cause premature fatigue 24 hours later. Get real people.

Agreed. It was only a 3 setter. These guys are so well conditioned that the three sets wouldn't have been that big a deal. They push harder on a typical practice day than the effort required in a 3 set match.

Having said that, I think Nadal may have been breaking down in the semis. Didn't he call for a trainer to attend to his leg during that match?

zagor
05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I personally think that Nadal was playing below his best level the whole tourney.All of Verdasco,Novak and Fed had their chances against him but of those 3 only Fed capitalized.That's just my opinion,before some rabid fanboy jumps at me.

bolo
05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
24hrs wasn't enough in chennai in 2008.

Rhino
05-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Everyone is saying that. Same as everyone said he wouldn't stand a chance in Madrid today.

NamRanger
05-17-2009, 04:20 PM
24hrs wasn't enough in chennai in 2008.

He had less then 24 hours then; don't bend facts. Chennai SF with Moya went into about 3 a.m. in the morning.

ag200boy
05-17-2009, 04:28 PM
in a major, 3 sets is an easy match and they are ready to play 12 hours later.

in other tournaments (especially when nadal loses) 3 sets is practically a marathon and AT LEAST 48 hours is needed until the next match.

My question is, why do the pros, who clearly have superior fitness, think that 24 hours isn't enough, while juniors don't complain about 2-3 matches over the course of 8-10 hours?

sureshs
05-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Federer seems to have recovered from mono :wink:

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 05:23 PM

I agree.

I don't have the level of conditioning close to a pro tennis player. Yet, I was able to play 6 hours of volleyball (tournament) and then 3 more hours of volleyball the next day without much trouble. I slept 10 hours inbetween, though.

That's intense playing, not fooling around. Oh, and a day before I played 2 hours of tennis. A day after I played 2 hours of tennis.

After that I took a day off cause I felt that I'm getting tired.

I personally think that Nadal was playing below his best level the whole tourney.All of Verdasco,Novak and Fed had their chances against him but of those 3 only Fed capitalized.That's just my opinion,before some rabid fanboy jumps at me.

I tend to agree somewhat with that.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 05:47 PM

It was a bit under 24 hours from the end of the semi to the beginning of the final so it was the same story as the Chennai final when Youhzny beat Nadal 6-0 6-1 the day after Nadal played a 4 hour match. Nadal needed another day to recover. And then factor in the knee troubles on top of that.

Nadal also stated that he was tired for the Fed match after the 4 hour match. Though he did say Fed was better in the semi for having an 80 minute match v Del Potro compared to his 4 hour match. But we all know Joker is way tougher than Del Potro on clay.

Toxicmilk
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Although I am under the opinion that Federer's win was a very well deserved win. I have to disagree somewhat with the OP. It's not just the Djoker match than tired out Nadal (although it didnt help him either) ; his "exhaustion" was caused by playing constantly...not just from one match. But that's something Nadal did to himself, playing the way he does.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM
It was a bit under 24 hours from the end of the semi to the beginning of the final so it was the same story as the Chennai final when Youhzny beat Nadal 6-0 6-1 the day after Nadal played a 4 hour match. Nadal needed another day to recover. And then factor in the knee troubles on top of that.

Nadal also stated that he was tired for the Fed match after the 4 hour match. Though he did say Fed was better in the semi for having an 80 minute match v Del Potro compared to his 4 hour match. But we all know Joker is way tougher than Del Potro on clay.

So are you saying that Nadal isn't all that fit?

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 05:57 PM

That's one match. He's had to play on back to back days numerous times over the years, even after 3 set matches. Yet he gets beat by Fed and people look at the one other time it happened and call it evidence. He's bound to lose sometimes the day after playing a 3 setter. That doesn't mean he was fatigued.

Although I am under the opinion that Federer's win was a very well deserved win. I have to disagree somewhat with the OP. It's not just the Djoker match than tired out Nadal (although it didnt help him either) ; his "exhaustion" was caused by playing constantly...not just from one match. But that's something Nadal did to himself, playing the way he does.

I don't disagree with that. You can overtrain your CNS, which will cause chronic fatigue. But a single match isn't significant.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
this thread is a fail...
it doesnt really factor in the altitude the match has been played,
and the possible extension of hrs needed to rest, as more stress has been placed on the body..

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
this thread is a fail...
and the possible extension of hrs needed to rest, as more stress has been placed on the body..

2200 feet is nothing. I lived at that altitude for years and when I go back home to visit I never notice when playing tennis and training / running there. Nadal is obviously much fitter than me.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 06:04 PM
this thread is a fail...

ATP level and glycogen stores recover in 24 hours at any altitude. Lactic acid levels have gone back to normal, oxygen levels are normal, etc. Muscle fatigue isn't significant from 4 hours of tennis. So maybe you could elaborate on how what you said is even significant. 24 hours is MORE than enough for a world class athlete.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 06:12 PM
2200 feet is nothing. I lived at that altitude for years and when I go back home to visit I never notice when playing tennis and training / running there. Nadal is obviously much fitter than me.

The match was at 2200 feet? lol... I live at 2200 feet EXACTLY (Edmonton, Canada). This is not a high altitude, at all... the difference in oxygen density is not a big factor.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 06:15 PM

you werent playing a 4 hr 3 set match with nole , right?
and you didnt need to play with federer 24 hrs later right?
unless you can say u train at 100% at your limit, for 4 hrs straight..

ATP level and glycogen stores recover in 24 hours at any altitude. Lactic acid levels have gone back to normal, oxygen levels are normal, etc. Muscle fatigue isn't significant from 4 hours of tennis. So maybe you could elaborate on how what you said is even significant. 24 hours is MORE than enough for a world class athlete.

ATP lvl can recover in 24 hrs, but it is often no enough, also when your body is not conditioned slowly into that altitude.
Also being the medical genius you are, you should know that ATP recovery requires as much amount of oxygen as possible, and wow, guess what high altitude lacks?
Watch the argentina soccer game, they were so much more superior skill-wise, yet they were completely destroyed.
The fact is this thread fails to address any kind of injury that nadal maybe be carrying with him, also the intensity that are being pushe

delphi17
05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
The match was at 2200 feet? lol... I live at 2200 feet EXACTLY (Edmonton, Canada). This is not a high altitude, at all... the difference in oxygen density is not a big factor.

try playing at a top competition for your lvl at LA or somewhere along the coast line , with only 2-3 weeks to prepare ?

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
ATP lvl can recover in 24 hrs, but it is often no enough, also when your body is not conditioned slowly into that altitude.
Also being the medical genius you are, you should know that ATP recovery requires as much amount of oxygen as possible, and wow, guess what high altitude lacks?
Watch the argentina soccer game, they were so much more superior skill-wise, yet they were completely destroyed.
The fact is this thread fails to address any kind of injury that nadal maybe be carrying with him, also the intensity that are being pushe

It is always enough, actually. Assuming that the person is healthy. It recovers in no more than a few hours, at any altitude. My point is that since 24 hours is so much more than what is needed, that the difference in oxygen density is not relevant. It might take 4 hours instead of 3 hours to replenish everything; big deal.

And my thread is about fatigue, not injury, so obviously I would not address that. And I'm assuming complete fatigue. You can't fatigue yourself enough in 4 hours to not be able to recover in 24 hours.

edit: I don't even think that the oxygen density would make a difference in recovery at all. His body would just force him to breath harder/faster and he'd recover in the same amount of time.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 06:29 PM
you werent playing a 4 hr 3 set match with nole , right?
and you didnt need to play with federer 24 hrs later right?
unless you can say u train at 100% at your limit, for 4 hrs straight..

What are you smoking man? They were taking 45 seconds on average between each point. That is not even CLOSE to 4 hours of actual exercise.

If I was doing that for 4 hours I would be BORED and irritated. When I am on court I like hitting balls not fixing my hair, shorts, bouncing the ball 20 times, etc etc.

I don't have the info for the whole match, but I have it for the tiebreak. Here you go, copied from another post -

I am a little bit bored, so here's the time breakdown for those that wonder.

Ace Djoker | 0-1 | 40 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 1-1 | 40 seconds
Short non-intense rally ends with Djoker UE | 44 seconds | 2-1
1-2 combo Djoker winner | 2-2 | 31 seconds
Unreturnable serve Djoker | 2-3 | 39 seconds
Long rally ended by easy Nadal CCBH winner | 3-3 | <3-3 changeover, don't know how long that took> | 1 minute+ (my guess because just the ball bouncing by Nadal took 31 seconds)
Pretty unintense but long rally ended with Nadal UE | 3-4 | 54 seconds
2 shot rally ended by Djoker UE | 4-4 | 36 seconds
Not a great approach shot from Djokovic succeeds by Nadal UE | 4-5 | 48 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 5-5 | 48 seconds
Good rally ended by Nadal UE | 5-6 -> MP#1 Djoker | 52 seconds
Good rally ended by Nadal Winner | 6-6 | <6-6 changeover, don't know how long that took> | 1+ minute (Guessing, since from the moment Nadal gets to his chair and gets a drink alone it's 47 seconds)
Good rally ended by Djokovic forcing an error from Nadal | 6-7 -> MP#2 Djoker | 55 seconds
Great rally ended by Nadal winner | 7-7 | 66 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 8-7 -> MP#1 Nadal | 54 seconds
Crowd gives a big cheer when Novak misses his first serve :( Good drop shot + passing shot winner Djoker | 8-8 | 47 seconds
Unreturnable serve Djoker | 8-9 | 45 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 9-9 | <changeover that's fully visible> | 1 minute 21 seconds
1-2 combo winner Nadal | 10-9 -> MP#2 Nadal | 44 seconds
Djokovic hesitates about coming in and is caught in no man's land by a routine Nadal FH | 11-9 | It's over.

The maximum allowed total time between the points for a tiebreak with 20 points is 25*19 = 475 seconds or roughly 8 minutes. The time actually taken by players between the points here is 885 seconds or roughly 15 minutes. The total tiebreak duration was about 20 minutes. Therefore, tennis was actually played during at most one quarter of the tiebreak duration.

That's not good for the sport and that's not how it should be in my opinion. Could this have anything to do with this match being the longest best of 3 match ever? A resounding yes.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 06:39 PM
without going into way too medical terms ,
the lack of oxygen = lack of NAD+ and FAD = lack of citric acid cycle,
as nadal's body is conditioned to conditions of abundance of oxygen,
the body works in a different state and way.
It does take longer for body to recover if there is a lack of oxygen.
That you cannot argue..
And what you are saying about 4 hrs instead of 3 hrs..
thats a jump of 33% increase in duration..
put that 33% on top of 24 hrs

vndesu
05-17-2009, 06:43 PM

thats true but then look at the ao. fed played roddick and spanked him while nadal played verdasco and had a very long match but still prevailed at the finals.

im not trying to start anything but if you look at the facts it still leads to federer just out playing nadal.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 06:46 PM
What are you smoking man? They were taking 45 seconds on average between each point. That is not even CLOSE to 4 hours of actual exercise.

If I was doing that for 4 hours I would be BORED and irritated. When I am on court I like hitting balls not fixing my hair, shorts, bouncing the ball 20 times, etc etc.

I don't have the info for the whole match, but I have it for the tiebreak. Here you go, copied from another post -

I am a little bit bored, so here's the time breakdown for those that wonder.

Ace Djoker | 0-1 | 40 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 1-1 | 40 seconds
Short non-intense rally ends with Djoker UE | 44 seconds | 2-1
1-2 combo Djoker winner | 2-2 | 31 seconds
Unreturnable serve Djoker | 2-3 | 39 seconds
Long rally ended by easy Nadal CCBH winner | 3-3 | <3-3 changeover, don't know how long that took> | 1 minute+ (my guess because just the ball bouncing by Nadal took 31 seconds)
Pretty unintense but long rally ended with Nadal UE | 3-4 | 54 seconds
2 shot rally ended by Djoker UE | 4-4 | 36 seconds
Not a great approach shot from Djokovic succeeds by Nadal UE | 4-5 | 48 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 5-5 | 48 seconds
Good rally ended by Nadal UE | 5-6 -> MP#1 Djoker | 52 seconds
Good rally ended by Nadal Winner | 6-6 | <6-6 changeover, don't know how long that took> | 1+ minute (Guessing, since from the moment Nadal gets to his chair and gets a drink alone it's 47 seconds)
Good rally ended by Djokovic forcing an error from Nadal | 6-7 -> MP#2 Djoker | 55 seconds
Great rally ended by Nadal winner | 7-7 | 66 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 8-7 -> MP#1 Nadal | 54 seconds
Crowd gives a big cheer when Novak misses his first serve :( Good drop shot + passing shot winner Djoker | 8-8 | 47 seconds
Unreturnable serve Djoker | 8-9 | 45 seconds
Unreturnable serve Nadal | 9-9 | <changeover that's fully visible> | 1 minute 21 seconds
1-2 combo winner Nadal | 10-9 -> MP#2 Nadal | 44 seconds
Djokovic hesitates about coming in and is caught in no man's land by a routine Nadal FH | 11-9 | It's over.

The maximum allowed total time between the points for a tiebreak with 20 points is 25*19 = 475 seconds or roughly 8 minutes. The time actually taken by players between the points here is 885 seconds or roughly 15 minutes. The total tiebreak duration was about 20 minutes. Therefore, tennis was actually played during at most one quarter of the tiebreak duration.

That's not good for the sport and that's not how it should be in my opinion. Could this have anything to do with this match being the longest best of 3 match ever? A resounding yes.

45 secs ?
You should report that to the organisations..
Because the rules says maximum of 20-25 seconds..

veroniquem
05-17-2009, 06:47 PM
There is a difference between physical tiredness and mental tiredness. The match vs Djoko was not only long, it was also extremely intense (physically) and as I said yesterday this was NOT an AO situation, 1 day makes a huge difference for recovery. It was a Chennai 2008 situation, very long, tense and emotional match, little energy left the next day. Now Nadal has also played a lot recently and to the physical aspect, one has to add the mental one: Nadal won 3 titles in a row, this week he hit his limits (regardless of conditions). Everyone has some, he wasn't going to win every single tournament week in week out, I don't care what the surface is.
For Federer, it is a great win, he played very well this week and reestablished himself as a major contender for RG and big events in general, it was his first master shield win since 2007, it's bound to give his confidence a big boost in Paris. If Fed can maintain or even improve that return to shape, the next few months could be extremely exciting and competitive with Nadal going strong, Djoko improving and Fed closer to his best form.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
without going into way too medical terms ,
the lack of oxygen = lack of NAD+ and FAD = lack of citric acid cycle,
as nadal's body is conditioned to conditions of abundance of oxygen,
the body works in a different state and way.
It does take longer for body to recover if there is a lack of oxygen.
That you cannot argue..
And what you are saying about 4 hrs instead of 3 hrs..
thats a jump of 33% increase in duration..
put that 33% on top of 24 hrs

You don't need to lecture me on introductory micro. The 4 hours intead of 3 was a gross exaggeration. And since, as I already said, it doesn't take anywhere near 24 hours, the O2 density isn't relevant.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
You don't need to lecture me on introductory micro. The 4 hours intead of 3 was a gross exaggeration. And since, as I already said, it doesn't take anywhere near 24 hours, the O2 density isn't relevant.

first of all, i didnt lecture you, i kept it very simple.
second of all, I cant assume your 4 hrs instead of 3 was an exaggeration,
because your, everyone should recover in 24 hrs is nothing but an exaggeration.
the recommended duration of recovery for any single-competitor sport event, (i.e non team sport) is 48 hrs.
A slight difference to your 24 hrs is enough for anyone who plays sport.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
first of all, i didnt lecture you, i kept it very simple.
second of all, I cant assume your 4 hrs instead of 3 was an exaggeration,
because your, everyone should recover in 24 hrs is nothing but an exaggeration.
the recommended duration of recovery for any single-competitor sport event, (i.e non team sport) is 48 hrs.
A slight difference to your 24 hrs is enough for anyone who plays sport.

That's to avoid CNS fatigue and wear on tendons, etc. which takes several days, if not weeks, to accumulate. A couple days of back to back tennis isn't going to cause either of those.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 07:09 PM
That's to avoid CNS fatigue and wear on tendons, etc. which takes several days, if not weeks, to accumulate. A couple days of back to back tennis isn't going to cause either of those.

the intensity is the issue.
we are not exposed to the intensity that nadal had to play to win the semi.

Nadal said he is tired, frankly, so am I?
I think people will decide based on their own experience, if 24 hrs is enough for them to recover after they had a match that stretched them to the limits.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
thats true but then look at the ao. fed played roddick and spanked him while nadal played verdasco and had a very long match but still prevailed at the finals.

im not trying to start anything but if you look at the facts it still leads to federer just out playing nadal.

After the Verdasco match he had a whole extra day to recover. That was the difference compared to Madrid and Channai where teh finals wree the next day less than 24 hours after a 4 hour match. These 4 hour matches were the longest 3 set matches on the atp in 15 years.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 07:12 PM
If he was tired, it's more likely due to the combined effects of constant tennis over the previous weeks, not from a single match. The point of this thread was to say that Nadal was no fresher for Novak than he was for Fed, so for people to quit acting like Nadal vs. Joker was the real final. Rafa could be suffering from fatigue, since he didn't look great against fed. But the Joker match had little, if anything, to do with that.

icedevil0289
05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
There is a difference between physical tiredness and mental tiredness. The match vs Djoko was not only long, it was also extremely intense (physically) and as I said yesterday this was NOT an AO situation, 1 day makes a huge difference for recovery. It was a Chennai 2008 situation, very long, tense and emotional match, little energy left the next day. Now Nadal has also played a lot recently and to the physical aspect, one has to add the mental one: Nadal won 3 titles in a row, this week he hit his limits (regardless of conditions). Everyone has some, he wasn't going to win every single tournament week in week out, I don't care what the surface is.
For Federer, it is a great win, he played very well this week and reestablished himself as a major contender for RG and big events in general, it was his first master shield win since 2007, it's bound to give his confidence a big boost in Paris. If Fed can maintain or even improve that return to shape, the next few months could be extremely exciting and competitive with Nadal going strong, Djoko improving and Fed closer to his best form.

as far as playing the amount of tournaments he played, don't you think that its kind of his fault though? I definitely think he should manage his schedule better. Everyone keeps saying nadal is tired and this and that, and no doubt he was, but I think that it is his partially his fault. He does not need to play as many tournaments as he has. Just my two cents.

brc444
05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
While Nadal did have a long semi the day before, he did have some recent rest -- he did not play in a tournament the week before and he had a walkover in the round of 16 (did not play Thursday).

veroniquem
05-17-2009, 07:25 PM
as far as playing the amount of tournaments he played, don't you think that its kind of his fault though? I definitely think he should manage his schedule better. Everyone keeps saying nadal is tired and this and that, and no doubt he was, but I think that it is his partially his fault. He does not need to play as many tournaments as he has. Just my two cents.
Madrid would have been the ideal tournament to skip but it was Spain and it was a master 1000, so...
Very selfishly as a spectator, I'm glad the semi Djoko-Nadal happened, it was extraordinary drama, the last tie-break was unreal, it was the kind of moments that make me love tennis.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 07:27 PM
If he was tired, it's more likely due to the combined effects of constant tennis over the previous weeks, not from a single match. The point of this thread was to say that Nadal was no fresher for Novak than he was for Fed, so for people to quit acting like Nadal vs. Joker was the real final. Rafa could be suffering from fatigue, since he didn't look great against fed. But the Joker match had little, if anything, to do with that.

Yes, yes, and yes. If you keep going hard week after week it catches up to you big time. I know, it has happened to me.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 07:30 PM

You ever played a 4 hour 3-setter facing 3 match points against one of the hardest hitters in tennis off both wings?

Thought not.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 07:30 PM

In this case i think it was all physical. The muscles just cant contract properly if they havn't recovered. It was a replica of Chennai. Chennai was right at the beginning of the season and yet he still couldn't recover due to the length and intensity of the 4 hour semi.

Then there's the knee problem, the pain was very serious the day before and he said he couldn't push of his leg properly and was worried about it recovering for the final. We don't know how well it did recover.

As we saw in the Chennai final v Youhzny, and in the Rotterdam final v Murray, Nadal isnt the type of guy that pulls out of finals even if he's less than fit for the final.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 07:33 PM
You ever played a 4 hour 3-setter facing 3 match points against one of the hardest hitters in tennis off both wings?

Thought not.

You ever played a tennis match where you were taking an AVERAGE of 45 seconds between every point?

Hope not.

In this case i think it was all physical. The muscles just cant contract properly if they havn't recovered.
You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
You ever played a tennis match where you were taking an AVERAGE of 45 seconds between every point?

Hope not.

I probably would be if I had been fighting for 3+ hrs and was in the last tiebreak. Isn't that what you were timing anyway? Seems a little unjust to tmie the last tiebreak but not the average times in the first set.

veroniquem
05-17-2009, 07:38 PM
In this case i think it was all physical. The muscles just cant contract properly if they havn't recovered. It was a replica of Chennai. Chennai was right at the beginning of the season and yet he still couldn't recover due to the length and intensity of the 4 hour semi.

Then there's the knee problem, the pain was very serious the day before and he said he couldn't push of his leg properly and was worried about it recovering for the final. We don't know how well it did recover.

As we saw in the Chennai final v Youhzny, and in the Rotterdam final v Murray, Nadal isnt the type of guy that pulls out of finals even if he's less than fit for the final.
Absolutely. He was right not to push himself with that leg. Giving up RG for the sake of winning Madrid would have been absurd. I think he couldn't afford at all to make it any worse, that's why he wasn't moving that well and Fed had a field day with the drop shots.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I probably would be if I had been fighting for 3+ hrs and was in the last tiebreak. Isn't that what you were timing anyway? Seems a little unjust to tmie the last tiebreak but not the average times in the first set.

I sure don't have enough time to time the whole thing. My main point is that both players wasted a lot of time in this match by doing things which were not playing tennis. You cannot say that this was an exhausting 4 hour match because much of those 4 hours were relaxation time. This included 2 injury time outs.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 07:40 PM

Thought not.

You don't need to in order to exert yourself comparably.

veroniquem
05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
You don't need to in order to exert yourself comparably.
Maybe physically but you can't ignore the emotional draining from a match like this one. It's the combination of the 2 that makes it lethal.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
just watch how far nadal was pushed physically and mentally in the match against Nole.

Yet, you are talking like you could actually be doing it, if you could, maybe we should be watching you play..

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I sure don't have enough time to time the whole thing. My main point is that both players wasted a lot of time in this match by doing things which were not playing tennis. You cannot say that this was an exhausting 4 hour match because much of those 4 hours were relaxation time. This included 2 injury time outs.

Physically, sure, but mentally they are still planning and executing.

Some of you here are oversimplifying the sport of tennis. Playing at teh club/local league level or even the college level is BARELY the tip of the iceberg. The pros are constantly strategizing and warding off powerful shots from the opponent. Moreover, they are running from sideline to sideline, baseline to net, all the while hitting draining shots that literally take the breath out of you each time you hit one. On top of that, they are still mentally planning and executing, keeping their focus on the ball and the match!

You'd definitely be quite the physical specimen if you could do this for on and off repetitively for four hours and wake up without soreness the next day.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Some of you here are oversimplifying the sport of tennis. Playing at teh club/local league level or even the college level is BARELY the tip of the iceberg. The pros are constantly strategizing and warding off powerful shots from the opponent. Moreover, they are running from sideline to sideline, baseline to net, all the while hitting draining shots that literally take the breath out of you each time you hit one. On top of that, they are still mentally planning and executing, keeping their focus on the ball and the match!

You'd definitely be quite the physical specimen if you could do this for on and off repetitively for four hours and wake up without soreness the next day.

agree.. i think the dude watched too much episodes of "heroes"

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Uhhhh... what does DOMS (soreness) have to do with anything? You can be sore for a week or more after physical exertion. That doesn't mean that you can't perform at 100%.

Soreness is your body's way of reminding you not to kill yourself. It doesn't prevent you from performing, unless it's severe. Which, considering how conditioned Nadal is, it wouldn't be.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Maybe physically but you can't ignore the emotional draining from a match like this one. It's the combination of the 2 that makes it lethal.

I don't see what relevance the mental aspect has to recovery.

If he isn't mentally strong enough to handle two big matches in a row, then he isn't. But that is a completely separate issue from this thread.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Uhhhh... what does DOMS (soreness) have to do with anything? You can be sore for a week or more after physical exertion. That doesn't mean that you can't perform at 100%.

Soreness is your body's way of reminding you not to kill yourself. It doesn't prevent you from performing, unless it's severe. Which, considering how conditioned Nadal is, it wouldn't be.

WTF? You try to shoot me down by attacking me on a technicality on the word "soreness"? I think you missed the overarching point of my thread.

Hm, maybe that was all that was left to attack of my post? Thanks :)

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 08:05 PM

If he isn't mentally strong enough to handle two big matches in a row, then he isn't. But that is a completely separate issue from this thread.

If you don't see the mental relevance in TENNIS, I think you have never played a game of TENNIS in your life at a competitive level.

Also, this thread is clearly about "24 hours is enough to RECOVER"

It was never specified that that recovery had to be exclusively physical. In the context of TENNIS, both a PHYSICAL AND MENTAL sport, both can be applied to recovery.

veroniquem
05-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Really? Then it should because it makes a huge difference to the overall fatigue.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 08:07 PM
WTF? You try to shoot me down by attacking me on a technicality on the word "soreness"? I think you missed the overarching point of my thread.

Hm, maybe that was all that was left to attack of my post? Thanks :)

I wasn't attacking a technicality. I was just specifying what I meant by DOMS.

If you don't see the mental relevance in TENNIS, I think you have never played a game of TENNIS in your life at a competitive level.

Also, this thread is clearly about "24 hours is enough to RECOVER"

It was never specified that that recovery had to be exclusively physical. In the context of TENNIS, both a PHYSICAL AND MENTAL sport, both can be applied to recovery.

it's pretty obvious that this thread is about physical recovery. That is generally what people mean when they talk about fatigue and recovery in sports.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Really? Then it should because it makes a huge difference to the overall fatigue.

It has nothing to do with physical fatigue.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
it's pretty obvious that this thread is about physical recovery. That is generally what people mean when they talk about fatigue and recovery in sports.

Been sipping on whiskey much?

Yeah obviously recovery is physical when it comes to sports, but it is fallacy to neglect the mental drainage and recovery from a match, especially in tennis. Again, tennis is both a mental and physical sport. They are not mutually exclusive when it comes to tennis.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 08:14 PM

So when you are thinking of a play for next point, how long does that take you. 5 seconds? 10 seconds? That can be done while towelling off and preparing to serve. That doesn't even require the full 25 seconds.

Guess what, if I got paid millions to be a pro athlete you can bet your *** I would train as hard as any one of them.

The point of my post is that match had less tennis in it and more walking around and bouncing balls than you would expect from a tennis match. You are not arguing with me, you are talking about something entirely different.

veroniquem
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
It has nothing to do with physical fatigue.
Not true. Have you ever had a big shock in your life? It will leave you physically exhausted as well as mentally. The 2 are more linked than you seem to think.

anointedone
05-17-2009, 08:16 PM

I agree with that.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Not true. Have you ever had a big shock in your life? It will leave you physically exhausted as well as mentally. The 2 are more linked than you seem to think.

No they're not. You're just making things up.

The only relevant thing it could possibly affect are hormones. And even adrenaline, etc. will be back to normal in 24 hours.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 08:18 PM
So when you are thinking of a play for next point, how long does that take you. 5 seconds? 10 seconds? That can be done while towelling off and preparing to serve. That doesn't even require the full 25 seconds.

Guess what, if I got paid millions to be a pro athlete you can bet your *** I would train as hard as any one of them.

The point of my post is that match had less tennis in it and more walking around and bouncing balls than you would expect from a tennis match. You are not arguing with me, you are talking about something entirely different.

The point of the thread is regarding recovery from a full match.

The point of your post was - as I understand - that they spent plenty of time to recover from each point to the next.

However, the longer the match goes on, the harder it is to recover from every point, especially when you have as long and hard-hit rallies as you say Saturday. Thus, even after 45 seconds, they're just getting enough in their tank to serve and start the point. They're still not fully recovered after each point, and that amasses over time.

As physically fit as the players may be, the sum of their endeavors of the match will add up regardless. This is actually what allowed Agassi to be so successful is that he was so fit that he could wear his opponents down without being worn out himself. However, that was a different era when there were more S & V players and shorter points. The example was, however, just to give you an example that fatigue takes hold in the late stages of any match.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
No they're not. You're just making things up.

The only relevant thing it could possibly affect are hormones. And even adrenaline, etc. will be back to normal in 24 hours.

Wow, someone is clearly like 11 years old or too drunk on whiskey.

Seriously I'm done discussing this issue with someone so thick-headed that they'd claim mental and physical strains are completely independent of one another. If only I'd seen it sooner :P

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 08:24 PM

Hahaha. Do you think if Djokovic takes Nadal to 3 sets it's a big shock in Nadal's life? You sure think he's a fragile guy.

WhiskeyEE
05-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Wow, someone is clearly like 11 years old or too drunk on whiskey.

Seriously I'm done discussing this issue with someone so thick-headed that they'd claim mental and physical strains are completely independent of one another. If only I'd seen it sooner :P

Says the guy attacking me based on my username. You have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks for leaving.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Hahaha. Do you think if Djokovic takes Nadal to 3 sets it's a big shock in Nadal's life? You sure think he's a fragile guy.

comments like this makes me wonder,
did you even look at the match?
You might have timed it, but did u actually watch the whole thing?
It was an amazing match, with both giving it their maximum,
if that is not a shock on one's physical or mental strength,
what is..

btw, i am out, there is no point for humans like us to argue with gods like you.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
comments like this makes me wonder,
did you even look at the match?
You might have timed it, but did u actually watch the whole thing?
It was an amazing match, with both giving it their maximum,
if that is not a shock on one's physical or mental strength,
what is..

btw, i am out, there is no point for humans like us to argue with gods like you.

I don't know how long you've been watching Nadal, but the guy has been giving 100% for the last few years. Every point in every match. That's why he is so hard to beat.

BTW, this is just a lousy MS1000 event. Not a grand slam final or something along those lines. Nadal has been in much tighter more mentally draining matches. For example. Nadal vs Verdasco AO 2009. Well, guess what? It didn't take a toll on him.

Yeah I am sure had Djokovic won the match, he would have been DONE. Mentally and physically. Not Rafa, though. This kind of effort is normal for him.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Agreed and Nadal is a pro athlete. As stated before Nadal hasn't been playing his best this tournament but against ExFed he would of won but this wasn't ExFed. No excuse for Nadal, Fed beat him fair and square. Get over it *******s.

asafi2
05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I feel as though WhiskeyEEE is telling you guys that the world is round and youre telling him its flat. He is spot on medically/biologically and because of that you guys are now bringing up mental fatigue. Please dont kid yourself. Originally, you were all referring to physical fatigue and only when he made excellent points with FACTUAL evidence you guys bring in mental fatigue. Like someone said earlier, "If he can't handle two big matches in a row then he really isnt strong mentally."

TheTruth
05-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Congrats to Fed on his win. Hilarious to see so many people actually taking ownage, you'd think they hit the dang ball. Come on, guys!

Nadal_Freak
05-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Nadal did not recover enough to beat Federer. End of story. Very rare do you see Nadal tired. This is one of those times.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Nadal did not recover enough to beat Federer. End of story. Very rare do you see Nadal tired. This is one of those times.

And you have something to back that authoritative statement up, right? No, I didn't think so. :neutral:

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
In this Spanish interview he said he was very tired and lethargic and needed an extra day between the semi and final to recover. He said he needed more rest. He also gave Fed credit for playing well.

So it's conformed, less than 24 hours wasn't enough to recover.

Nadal: "Este torneo no tiene nada que ver con París" (http://www.europapress.es/deportes/tenis-00166/noticia-tenis-madrid-nadal-torneo-no-tiene-nada-ver-paris-20090517201859.html)
MADRID, 17 May. (EUROPA PRESS) -

El tenista español Rafa Nadal aseguró que haber perdido hoy la final del Mutua Madrileña Madrid Open no le afectará en su puesta a punto para Roland Garros, donde aspira a entrar en la historia como el primer jugador con cinco títulos consecutivos, y restó importancia al hecho de haber jugado ayer cuatro horas pues consideró que hoy Roger Federer fue muy superior.

El número uno del mundo no cree que el resultado de hoy tenga mucha repercusión ni en su juego ni en el de Federer. "Ya lo diré en tres semanas, ya lo veremos ahí porque adivino no soy. Para mí este torneo no tiene nada que ver con París. Es mi sensación personal, no estoy diciendo que vaya a jugar mejor en París, pero es casi otras superficie", afirmó en rueda de prensa.

A pesar de la larga semifinal que disputó ayer ante Djokovic afirmó que no quería "poner excusas". "Si estoy cansado es porque jugué más de lo debido y él menos. Es una putada (sic) haber jugado cuatro horas ayer. El que no lo quiera ver, está ciego. Él jugó una hora y media porque jugó mejor. Una vez toca a uno y otra a otro. Estuvo a un gran nivel y la pista estaba rápida cuando estás falto de chispa, te cuesta volver. Él aplicó una buena táctica y ha sido mejor que yo, nada más", apuntó.

El manacorí no quiere entrar en especulaciones sobre qué sucederá en el segundo 'grande' del año, pero no duda "en firmar" una nueva final allí con Federer. "Veremos quién llega a la final, eso de entrada. Federer tiene potencial para ganar en París y en cualquier sitio del mundo, lo ha demostrado toda su carrera. Es uno de los grandes favoritos, pero la realidad es que París empieza en primera ronda y no en la final aunque ojalá jugara contra él", recalcó.

En cuanto al duelo de hoy, reconoció que no podía sacar nada "positivo". "Ha sido un partido que hay poco que analizar. Me ha hecho un 'break' y otro 'break' y me he ido a casa. No me ha dejado mis pequeñas opciones con mis dos bolas de 'break' al comienzo, que yo estaba jugando mejor y con el último 15-40 se me fueron dos reveses que podrían haber entrado. Pero quiero felicitarle porque estuvo más entonado. Contra Federer o juegas al cien por cien o es casi imposible", aseguró.

Nadal lamentó haber dado demasiadas oportunidades al de Basilea. "Hay situaciones que en tierra normal no son puntos y aquí sí. Me costaba restar y él restaba mejor. Me faltaba esa milésima de segundo que en cualquier deporte marca la diferencia entre estar o no en condiciones. Contra Federer, sin estar al cien por cien es muy, muy difícil. Se ha merecido ganar mucho más que yo", indicó.

"ME SENTÍA APLATANADO".

El balear, que explicó que viajará a París el próximo miércoles, zanjó las especulaciones sobre su estado físico, después de haber solicitado ayer asistencia médica en el duelo de 'semis'. "Estoy muy bien de las rodillas, no he sentido molestias. Pero estaba un poco vacío de energía. Me notaba aplatanado, después de esa adrenalina de ayer, sin un día en medio es difícil recuperarse. Así que ahora voy a descansar unos días", comentó.

Por otra parte, no dudó en destacar como lo mejor del torneo "el ambiente" que consideró "espectacular" y la Pista Central, pero también considera que hay cosas que deben mejorar y quiso hacer una crítica constructiva.

"En una instalación nueva, que se ha invertido tanto dinero y lo tiene todo, es una pena no tener unos vestuarios más espaciosos y que sean blancos, que siempre se ve más la suciedad, desde mi punto de vista, sobre todo cuando juegas en tierra. Las pistas de entrenamiento han estado bastante mal. Pero ha sido un 'torneazo' y tiene potencial. Lo que le falta es historia para ser el mejor después de Roland Garros y tiene el potencial para serlo. Y tiene lo más importante, que es la gente, que viene todos los días", valoró.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 09:06 PM
In this Spanish interview he said he was very tired and lethargic and needed an extra day between the semi and final to recover.

Nadal: "Este torneo no tiene nada que ver con París" (http://www.europapress.es/deportes/tenis-00166/noticia-tenis-madrid-nadal-torneo-no-tiene-nada-ver-paris-20090517201859.html)

El tenista español Rafa Nadal aseguró que haber perdido hoy la final del Mutua Madrileña Madrid Open no le afectará en su puesta a punto para Roland Garros, donde aspira a entrar en la historia como el primer jugador con cinco títulos consecutivos, y restó importancia al hecho de haber jugado ayer cuatro horas pues consideró que hoy Roger Federer fue muy superior.

El número uno del mundo no cree que el resultado de hoy tenga mucha repercusión ni en su juego ni en el de Federer. "Ya lo diré en tres semanas, ya lo veremos ahí porque adivino no soy. Para mí este torneo no tiene nada que ver con París. Es mi sensación personal, no estoy diciendo que vaya a jugar mejor en París, pero es casi otras superficie", afirmó en rueda de prensa.

A pesar de la larga semifinal que disputó ayer ante Djokovic afirmó que no quería "poner excusas". "Si estoy cansado es porque jugué más de lo debido y él menos. Es una putada (sic) haber jugado cuatro horas ayer. El que no lo quiera ver, está ciego. Él jugó una hora y media porque jugó mejor. Una vez toca a uno y otra a otro. Estuvo a un gran nivel y la pista estaba rápida cuando estás falto de chispa, te cuesta volver. Él aplicó una buena táctica y ha sido mejor que yo, nada más", apuntó.

El manacorí no quiere entrar en especulaciones sobre qué sucederá en el segundo 'grande' del año, pero no duda "en firmar" una nueva final allí con Federer. "Veremos quién llega a la final, eso de entrada. Federer tiene potencial para ganar en París y en cualquier sitio del mundo, lo ha demostrado toda su carrera. Es uno de los grandes favoritos, pero la realidad es que París empieza en primera ronda y no en la final aunque ojalá jugara contra él", recalcó.

En cuanto al duelo de hoy, reconoció que no podía sacar nada "positivo". "Ha sido un partido que hay poco que analizar. Me ha hecho un 'break' y otro 'break' y me he ido a casa. No me ha dejado mis pequeñas opciones con mis dos bolas de 'break' al comienzo, que yo estaba jugando mejor y con el último 15-40 se me fueron dos reveses que podrían haber entrado. Pero quiero felicitarle porque estuvo más entonado. Contra Federer o juegas al cien por cien o es casi imposible", aseguró.

Nadal lamentó haber dado demasiadas oportunidades al de Basilea. "Hay situaciones que en tierra normal no son puntos y aquí sí. Me costaba restar y él restaba mejor. Me faltaba esa milésima de segundo que en cualquier deporte marca la diferencia entre estar o no en condiciones. Contra Federer, sin estar al cien por cien es muy, muy difícil. Se ha merecido ganar mucho más que yo", indicó.

"ME SENTÍA APLATANADO".

El balear, que explicó que viajará a París el próximo miércoles, zanjó las especulaciones sobre su estado físico, después de haber solicitado ayer asistencia médica en el duelo de 'semis'. "Estoy muy bien de las rodillas, no he sentido molestias. Pero estaba un poco vacío de energía. Me notaba aplatanado, después de esa adrenalina de ayer, sin un día en medio es difícil recuperarse. Así que ahora voy a descansar unos días", comentó.

Por otra parte, no dudó en destacar como lo mejor del torneo "el ambiente" que consideró "espectacular" y la Pista Central, pero también considera que hay cosas que deben mejorar y quiso hacer una crítica constructiva.

"En una instalación nueva, que se ha invertido tanto dinero y lo tiene todo, es una pena no tener unos vestuarios más espaciosos y que sean blancos, que siempre se ve más la suciedad, desde mi punto de vista, sobre todo cuando juegas en tierra. Las pistas de entrenamiento han estado bastante mal. Pero ha sido un 'torneazo' y tiene potencial. Lo que le falta es historia para ser el mejor después de Roland Garros y tiene el potencial para serlo. Y tiene lo más importante, que es la gente, que viene todos los días", valoró.

But I thought Nadal always gave full credit to his opponents for the win? Is he being arrogant and taking credit away from Federer?

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Nadal did not recover enough to beat Federer. End of story. Very rare do you see Nadal tired. This is one of those times. LOL! How about everytime he loses according to you. In an interview on the ATP site he said he was not tired just didn't have the energy which perhaps meants mentally he wasn't 100%. But Nadal 80% Mental Strength > Fed 100%

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:12 PM
In this Spanish interview he said he was very tired and lethargic and needed an extra day between the semi and final to recover. He said he needed more rest. He also gave Fed credit for playing well.

"ME SENTÍA APLATANADO".

"En una instalación nueva, que se ha invertido tanto dinero y lo tiene todo, es una pena no tener unos vestuarios más espaciosos y que sean blancos, que siempre se ve más la suciedad, desde mi punto de vista, sobre todo cuando juegas en tierra. Las pistas de entrenamiento han estado bastante mal. Pero ha sido un 'torneazo' y tiene potencial. Lo que le falta es historia para ser el mejor después de Roland Garros y tiene el potencial para serlo. Y tiene lo más importante, que es la gente, que viene todos los días", valoró. How arrogant of him. In an interview on the ATP site he said he wasn't tired aswell so he is lying aswell. :-?

delphi17
05-17-2009, 09:12 PM
And you have something to back that authoritative statement up, right? No, I didn't think so. :neutral:

FAIL:neutral:

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
But I thought Nadal always gave full credit to his opponents for the win? Is he being arrogant and taking credit away from Federer?

He did give full credit. However he was also honest in saying how what his own condition was.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
FAIL:neutral:

Sorry buddy I don't read Spanish. I only read the English interview in which he said that the match during the previous day did not affect him.

I didn't expect Nadal to say two completely different things in two different languages.

He did give full credit. However he was also honest in saying how what his own condition was.

^ Double standards being applied. Whenever Fed does the same, he gets called arrogant by all the haters.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 09:19 PM
How arrogant of him. In an interview on the ATP site he said he wasn't tired aswell so he is lying aswell. :-?

He must have given them the short version of his answer. He gave the Spanish press the Complete version of his answer. :lol:

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:19 PM
He must have given them the short version of his answer. He gave the Spanish press the Complete version of his answer. :lol: No just making excuses how he failed them all.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry buddy I don't read Spanish. I only read the English interview in which he said that the match during the previous day did not affect him.

I didn't expect Nadal to say two completely different things in two different languages.

^ Double standards being applied. Whenever Fed does the same, he gets called arrogant by all the haters.

Then you better learn Spanish so you can find out all of the details. :oops:

delphi17

i think the natural posted an interview from him saying he was tired in English before this thread even started.

Cody
I don't think anybody can make excuses for elite athletes, saying that they are tired.
At this level of sport recovering from matches is a massive factor and part of the sport of tennis, if they feel they can't recover in time for matches then they probably need more fitness.
I believe it is part of the sport and all players should be prepared for it.

-Cody :)

delphi17
05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
No just making excuses how he failed them all.

get a life, hater

Nadal_Freak
05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't think anybody can make excuses for elite athletes, saying that they are tired.
At this level of sport recovering from matches is a massive factor and part of the sport of tennis, if they feel they can't recover in time for matches then they probably need more fitness.
I believe it is part of the sport and all players should be prepared for it.

-Cody :)
Preparing for the recovery for longest match in Masters Series history with a days rest is very tough. Especially the way Djokovic was running Nadal around. Too bad Nadal couldn't shorten the points against Djokovic and not play too much defense. But I'm happy he got to the Finals. Keeping a big lead in the rankings.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
get a life, hater Don't get upset. Don't know how I am a hater lol. Get an education would be my advice to you.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Preparing for the recovery for longest match in Masters Series history with a days rest is very tough. Especially the way Djokovic was running Nadal around. Too bad Nadal couldn't shorten the points against Djokovic and not play too much defense. But I'm happy he got to the Finals. Keeping a big lead in the rankings. What about the 5 setter matches some of them went into 5 hours.

gj011
05-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Failed thread. It was less than 24 hours, Nadal didn't have enough time to recover after the 4 hour match, he looked wasted on the court today and that is the only reason Federer won today. Federer should thank Djokovic for his first title this year.

Also comparing recreational volleyball to the professional tennis match is laughable.

Nadal_Freak
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
What about the 5 setter matches some of them went into 5 hours.
Longest 3 setter in Master Series history then. I just went with what I heard on TTC.

gj011
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
What about the 5 setter matches some of them went into 5 hours.

Players have two days between matches on GSs where best of 5 matches are played. There is a reason for that.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Failed thread. It was less than 24 hours, Nadal didn't have enough time to recover after the 4 hour match, he looked wasted on the court today and that is the only reason Federer won today. Federer should thank Djokovic for his first title this year.

Also comparing recreational volleyball to the professional tennis match is laughable.

You play recreational volleyball? How cute :) I, for one, think recreational sports are BORING. Come to Vancouver, I'll serve you an ace in the face.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Also comparing recreational volleyball to the professional tennis match is laughable. Since when did Nadal have Djokovic's fitness.

Tiredness factor:
5 setter at AO vs Verdasco >>>>>> 3 setter at Madrid vs Djokovic full of time wasting.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Players have two days between matches on GSs where best of 5 matches are played. There is a reason for that. Idiot. I am talking about masters finals a few years back or wasn't Djokovic playing then?

delphi17
05-17-2009, 09:34 PM
You play recreational volleyball? How cute :) I, for one, think recreational sports are BORING. Come to Vancouver, I'll serve you an ace in the face.

tough guy on forum syndrome in full swing . you are my hero :twisted:

gj011
Since when did Nadal have Djokovic's fitness.

Tiredness factor:
5 setter at AO vs Verdasco >>>>>> 3 setter at Madrid vs Djokovic full of time wasting.

As I said, on AO Nadal had much more time to recover. He didn't play the final the very next day after the SF.

delphi17
Idiot. I am talking about masters finals a few years back or wasn't Djokovic playing then?

Dont get upset..

gj011
05-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Yes it is quite funny actually.

Cody
05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Preparing for the recovery for longest match in Masters Series history with a days rest is very tough. Especially the way Djokovic was running Nadal around. Too bad Nadal couldn't shorten the points against Djokovic and not play too much defense. But I'm happy he got to the Finals. Keeping a big lead in the rankings.

Yeh, it is very tough but a part of the sport all the same.

gj011
05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Idiot. I am talking about masters finals a few years back or wasn't Djokovic playing then?

Yes delphi is again right. Why are you getting upset?

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Yes delphi is again right. Why are you getting upset? Yes change the subject away because I proved you wrong.

TheNatural
Since when did Nadal have Djokovic's fitness.

Tiredness factor:

There was a whole extra day rest after the Verdasco match dummy, that's why the scenarios are different. That's the whole point of this thread. the recovery time.

IvanAndreevich

Nothing tough about that statement. Just pointing out that gj011 is once again making false assumption about the state of the world.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes change the subject away because I proved you wrong.

why are we comparing a three set semi-final with a five set final?
If my memory serves me right, you dont need to play another match after a five set final.

gj011
05-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes change the subject away because I proved you wrong.

Where did you proved me wrong? Sure you were talking about different thing, but there was no need to get upset and start with insults. What I sad was correct anyway.

Also you should check your post about AO and Verdasco match where you were proven fundamentally wrong, not just by me.

gj011
05-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Nothing tough about that statement. Just pointing out that gj011 is once again making false assumption about the state of the world.

Proving me wrong, by threatening to serve to my face over the internet. LOL. This is even more laughable.

TheNatural
05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Where did you proved me wrong? Sure you were talking about different thing, but there was no need to get upset and start with insults. What I sad was correct anyway.

Also you should check your post about AO and Verdasco match where you were proven fundamentally wrong, not just by me.

Chelsea_Kiwi is trying to prove to you that 48 hours is enough time to recover between matches in a thread about whether <24 hours is enough to recover. :oops:

crazylevity
05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
I can guarantee you that by now, none of them (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) are even thinking about Madrid anymore. Just leave it. A win is a win, a loss is a loss.

Move on, people.

delphi17
05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Chelsea_Kiwi is trying to prove to you that 48 hours is enough time to recover between matches in a thread about whether <24 hours is enough to recover. :oops:

lets give up, he wins , hands down..:roll:

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Proving me wrong, by threatening to serve to my face over the internet. LOL. This is even more laughable.
The response was just sarcastic. Perhaps my sarcasm is too much to understand.

You obviously implied that I played 6 hours of recreational volleyball. Whereas, in fact, we play Tier 1 or Tier 2 tournaments. Pretty intense stuff.

Not to the level of pro athletes, but to the level of my training. Obviously I don't train nearly as hard or as much as Rafa. He's a monster.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
why are we comparing a three set semi-final with a five set final?
If my memory serves me right, you dont need to play another match after a five set final. Um don't know what you are talking about... I was comparing a five set semi-final to a three set semi-final???

My point was *******s were going on how Nadal was tired so would lose the AO final but he won it and then they were saying he was tired for a three-setter and he lost it. Conclusion: Federer outplayed Nadal, not because of any other reason aswell.

Cody
05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint
Or not.

It seems Nadal is always tired. I guess he's not such a good player after all. Physical conditioning is part of the game. If you can't compete, you can't win. Just like any other part of your game.

Just as BreakPoint posted in another thread :)

gj011
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Um don't know what you are talking about... I was comparing a five set semi-final to a three set semi-final???

My point was *******s were going on how Nadal was tired so would lose the AO final but he won it and then they were saying he was tired for a three-setter and he lost it. Conclusion: Federer outplayed Nadal, not because of any other reason aswell.

You are again forgetting an additional full day of rest Nadal had between AO SF and final. :roll:

Your point miserably failed due to that simple fact. I guess several of us have to repeat several times before it enters your head.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Also you should check your post about AO and Verdasco match where you were proven fundamentally wrong, not just by me. So I bold Nadal_Freak saying: longest match in Masters Series history

and I say: What about the 5 setter matches some of them went into 5 hours.

and you reply: Players have two days between matches on GSs where best of 5 matches are played.

gj011
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM

He is just funny :)

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 10:16 PM
You are again forgetting an additional full day of rest Nadal had between AO SF and final. :roll:

Your point miserably failed due to that simple fact. I guess several of us have to repeat several times before it enters your head. Did you read my post? My point was they said he was tired on both occasions and look how the match turned out.

gj011
05-17-2009, 10:18 PM
So I bold Nadal_Freak saying: longest match in Masters Series history

and I say: What about the 5 setter matches some of them went into 5 hours.

and you reply: Players have two days between matches on GSs where best of 5 matches are played.

I told you already. What I said was correct. I was just talking about different thing than you. My mistake I guess, but no need for you to start with insults.

OTOH you were proven wrong about AO SF by several people, but you still chose to ignore the facts and no one is calling you "idiot".

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I told you already. What I said was correct. I was just talking about different thing than you. My mistake I guess, but no need for you to start with insults.

OTOH you were proven wrong about AO SF by several people, but you still chose to ignore the facts and no one is calling you "idiot". How was I proven wrong over the AO SF? They misunderstood my point because I was calling *******s (and also yourself) out. Reading comprehension is really poor in these forums.

Can't you just accept Federer beat Nadal fair and square today?

Muzzafan
05-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Give Fed credit, he played well.

Nadal tired or not, he didn't play as good as he's capable this week. Even in the Verdasco match he struggled and it's really hard to say if he's fatigued or not.

For all we know, he just wasn't on form this week. Personally, I think its more of an altitude problem the way he was playing.

Bud
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Federer seems to have recovered from mono :wink:

Don't worry... we'll hear that excuse soon enough when he loses, again :-D

Bud
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM

I think you're discounting the mental stress/tiredness that comes from playing and/or winning so many tournaments back to back. Sometimes, when the brain is fatigued... the body doesn't follow directions like it should.

I thought Rafa looked flat the entire tournament. He barely scratched out a victory against Djo and Verdasco also gave him some trouble.

It amazes me how these guys can play and practice for so many hours and not experience more severe burn-out.

Knightmace
05-18-2009, 12:23 AM
in a major, 3 sets is an easy match and they are ready to play 12 hours later.

in other tournaments (especially when nadal loses) 3 sets is practically a marathon and AT LEAST 48 hours is needed until the next match.

My question is, why do the pros, who clearly have superior fitness, think that 24 hours isn't enough, while juniors don't complain about 2-3 matches over the course of 8-10 hours?
Oh please juniors level of play isn't near the professionals.

TennisandMusic
05-18-2009, 12:32 AM
I think you're discounting the mental stress/tiredness that comes from playing and/or winning so many tournaments back to back. Sometimes, when the brain is fatigued... the body doesn't follow directions like it should.

I thought Rafa looked flat the entire tournament. He barely scratched out a victory against Djo and Verdasco also gave him some trouble.

It amazes me how these guys can play and practice for so many hours and not experience more severe burn-out.

Exactly. So many people simply don't get it. I love some of the reasoning in here. "I played some volleyball with my friends for six hours!" As if that in ANY way compares to any kind of pro sport. Heck basketball players play for 30 minutes if they are the top players, and they get 2-3 days off in these playoffs?

Try playing tennis for four weeks out of 5, including three masters, and winning everything until that last match. You get tired. Period. Mentally and physically. I'm pretty sure a grueling 4 hour match against one of the worlds best is something that no one on this board will ever experience. So please don't compare you're little get togethers with buddies to it. Especially if you're a kid.

You know they mentioned the score to Andy Murray at the wimbledon ceremony thing, and he shrugged it off and said "well Nadal just played a 4 hour and 10 minute match so he's going to be a bit tired." I think he would know what it's like more than the people on this board ever will. Nadal just did not play well this tournament at any stage. Hopefully for his sake he will play better at Roland Garros.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Ok let's say Nadal could recover from physical tiredness...but how about his mental tiredness... his loss in Madrid reminds me of his loss in Hamburg...He was just tired mentally... I think after a week he will be okay mentally and physically to compete in French FO for his fifth title!

Knightmace
05-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Plus I think winning AO meant alot more for him than winning this

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 03:53 AM
Exactly. So many people simply don't get it. I love some of the reasoning in here. "I played some volleyball with my friends for six hours!" As if that in ANY way compares to any kind of pro sport. Heck basketball players play for 30 minutes if they are the top players, and they get 2-3 days off in these playoffs?

Try playing tennis for four weeks out of 5, including three masters, and winning everything until that last match. You get tired. Period. Mentally and physically. I'm pretty sure a grueling 4 hour match against one of the worlds best is something that no one on this board will ever experience. So please don't compare you're little get togethers with buddies to it. Especially if you're a kid.

You know they mentioned the score to Andy Murray at the wimbledon ceremony thing, and he shrugged it off and said "well Nadal just played a 4 hour and 10 minute match so he's going to be a bit tired." I think he would know what it's like more than the people on this board ever will. Nadal just did not play well this tournament at any stage. Hopefully for his sake he will play better at Roland Garros.

Basketball players are probably more conditioned than tennis players actually. People make Nadal out to be some sort of fitness monster, when in reality Kobe Bryant or any other professional athlete (soccer for instance) would make him look tame. It's a proven fact that tennis is one of the least physically demanding sports, due to stoppage in play between points, change overs, etc.

Also, basketball players spend on average about 35+ minutes OF NEARLY CONSTANT PLAY if they are in the playoffs. The problem that most people do not realize is that the majority of tennis time is wasted due to change overs, tv commercial breaks, stoppage between points, and is only delayed by things like Djokovic's ball bouncing, Nadal's routines, Mary Pierce's routine, Sharapova prettying her hair, etc.

So in reality, Djokovic and Nadal maybe spent a little bit over an hour of actually playing tennis. The rest of the time was wasted on other stuff. People love to make it out like Nadal was out there for 4 long and grueling hours, when in reality it wasn't even close to 4 hours if we're talking about actual amount of time spent on tennis.

And it's laughable about the bolded part, when someone tries to use a quote from Roddick that all Nadal fans simultaneously call him an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about, he's making up excuses etc/. Hugest double standards I've ever seen. Better yet, when Federer stated he had mono, Nadal fans were all saying he was making it up, and that he was just a sore loser.

WELL YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS WHAT YOU GET. NADAL WAS MAKING EXCUSES. EAT YOUR OWN MEDICINE.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 04:24 AM
to say tennis is less demanding than basketball is laughable..
i dont even need to look at the other 7243 posts, and i know you are a troll..

moglie
05-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Just because we're talking about pro athletes here doesn't mean they're supermen or gods who are always ready to compete at or near 100% of their physical abilities. Nadal's semi was physically and emotinally draining (for whatever reasons). Both Nadal and Djokovich looked damn near totally spent towards the end of the match. This isn't an excuse for Nadal's loss (Federer still had to go out and capitalize on his chances and make it happen) so much as it's just the reality of professional competition. Athletes will get tired for a myriad of reasons and 24 hours won't always be enough recovery time.

Bud
05-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Just because we're talking about pro athletes here doesn't mean they're supermen or gods who are always ready to compete at or near 100% of their physical abilities. Nadal's semi was physically and emotinally draining (for whatever reasons). Both Nadal and Djokovich looked damn near totally spent towards the end of the match. This isn't an excuse for Nadal's loss (Federer still had to go out and capitalize on his chances and make it happen) so much as it's just the reality of professional competition. Athletes will get tired for a myriad of reasons and 24 hours won't always be enough recovery time.

Agree completely :)

rafan
05-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Ok let's say Nadal could recover from physical tiredness...but how about his mental tiredness... his loss in Madrid reminds me of his loss in Hamburg...He was just tired mentally... I think after a week he will be okay mentally and physically to compete in French FO for his fifth title!

Yes I agree and if anyone watched that excellent Jimmy Connors interview someone put on this site - then that is what Rafa was talking about and insisiting that it was the mental perhaps more than the physical.

sureshs
05-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Don't worry... we'll hear that excuse soon enough when he loses, again :-D

Mono comes and goes

gj011
05-18-2009, 07:11 AM
How was I proven wrong over the AO SF? They misunderstood my point because I was calling *******s (and also yourself) out. Reading comprehension is really poor in these forums.

Can't you just accept Federer beat Nadal fair and square today?

Still not realizing you were comparing apples and oranges.

Federer didn't beat Nadal fair and square here. When he does it I will admit it.

BullDogTennis
05-18-2009, 08:22 AM

and Wimbledon was federers house. things can change. it'd be kinda funny if last year fed was dethroned at his house, and the next year nadal was dethroned at his house.

BullDogTennis
05-18-2009, 08:26 AM
to say tennis is less demanding than basketball is laughable..
i dont even need to look at the other 7243 posts, and i know you are a troll..

your the troll. basletball is tougher physically. try being matched up against another 6'9 player, that weighs 250+ and having to move him, get rebounds around him. try to keep up with him up and down the court....you obviously know absolutly nothing, and prob never played another sport rather than tennis in your life. i guess next your gonna say football is less physically demanding, and soccer is less physically demanding. the only "major sport" that is less demanding than tennis is baseball. (unless im seriously overlooking something, and if i am please point it out)

WhiskeyEE
05-18-2009, 08:30 AM
your the troll. basletball is tougher physically. try being matched up against another 6'9 player, that weighs 250+ and having to move him, get rebounds around him. try to keep up with him up and down the court....you obviously know absolutly nothing, and prob never played another sport rather than tennis in your life. i guess next your gonna say football is less physically demanding, and soccer is less physically demanding. the only "major sport" that is less demanding than tennis is baseball. (unless im seriously overlooking something, and if i am please point it out)

Soccer is definitely more tiring. Basketball probably is. I don't buy that football is, though. Half of the time you're on the sidelines watching, long breaks between points, etc.

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 04:22 PM

Yeah, because trying to stop LeBron James for 30 minutes + of constant play is so much easier than pro tennis. Get a life delphi. It's a PROVEN fact that tennis is NOT that physically demanding of a sport.

You want physically demanding? Try boxing or MMA. That's physically demanding.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, because trying to stop LeBron James for 30 minutes + of constant play is so much easier than pro tennis. Get a life delphi. It's a PROVEN fact that tennis is NOT that physically demanding of a sport.

Physically demanding on the joints. Any little injury in the shoulder or knees and you are in trouble as your opponent will attack it relentlessly to make it worse. Make you run or hit a lot of shots.

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Physically demanding on the joints. Any little injury in the shoulder or knees and you are in trouble as your opponent will attack it relentlessly to make it worse. Make you run or hit a lot of shots.

Slight shoulder or ankle injuries put you out of the game in the NBA. You lose a 1/4 of a step and you are useless to the team. In tennis, you can get away with throwing up, cramping, etc. and still manage to pull a win.

Examples :

1. Sampras at the USO, throwing up and still winning
2. Chang, cramping out of his mind and came back and beat Lendl

Just a few to name. Tennis is not that physically demanding of a sport; get over it. Basketball players at times go back to back games with little to no rest of intense playing (WITH physical contact too).

Nadal was not fatigued; that's just an excuse everyone wants to use. The truth is that Federer simply did not allow Nadal to play his best tennis. He neutralized his best weapon, the crosscourt forehand, and put Nadal into uncomfortable positions.

flyer
05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
stop blowing this match out of proportion, this ones not going down in the history books, its an argument over nothing...

i'll keep my oponion on it to myself just because its so irrelevent in the grand sceme....

roland garros is in a week, argue when thats over

delphi17
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM

every sport is as physically demanding as each other in proffessional level,
thats why they are paid as much as they are..
physical demands are not just about moving around, how about the stress that your hands are put through returning those pounding serves from roddick?
Can we say Kobe's elbows are having it easy, so tennis is more demanding?
No , we cant.

And, I didnt say basketball is less demanding, you bloody troll,
Read what I type ,I said to say Tennis is less demanding is laughable..
To say any sport is less demanding is an insult to any pro athlete.
you absolutely know nothing, and cant read..
Learn to read, and possibly , you might learn something, troll...
And its BASKETBALL, not BASLETBALL, U FAIL!

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
every sport is as physically demanding as each other in proffessional level,
thats why they are paid as much as they are..
physical demands are not just about moving around, how about the stress that your hands are put through returning those pounding serves from roddick?
Can we say Kobe's elbows are having it easy, so tennis is more demanding?
No , we cant.

And, I didnt say basketball is less demanding, you bloody troll,
Read what I type ,I said to say Tennis is less demanding is laughable..
To say any sport is less demanding is an insult to any pro athlete.
you absolutely know nothing, and cant read..
Learn to read, and possibly , you might learn something, troll...
And its BASKETBALL, not BASLETBALL, U FAIL!

Kobe Bryant gets paid 25x more than your average pro tennis player for a reason. The sport he plays is much more physically demanding. For gods sake, you have people like David Nalbandian in the top 15. He is fit for a tennis player, but by no means is he even CLOSE to being fit for a baksetball player.

Tennis being less demanding than basketball isn't laughable; it's a fact. Get over it. Proven by studies.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM

lol, to stop roddick's serve or to catch up to federer's drop serve is not as easy you think it is..
I dont understand why you are trying to berate a sport that you "seem" to love?
Tennis is physically demanding, if you really want to win.
If you chase down every shot like its match point, its physically demanding.
And if you decide to be a fat slob, and watch potential opportunities go to waste, then, yeah, its not physically demanding..

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Tennis is rougher on the joints. Basketball is rougher on the lungs. Football is the most brutal sport physically. Boxing is rough on the face. Every sport has its brutal nature.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Kobe Bryant gets paid 25x more than your average pro tennis player for a reason. The sport he plays is much more physically demanding. For gods sake, you have people like David Nalbandian in the top 15. He is fit for a tennis player, but by no means is he even CLOSE to being fit for a baksetball player.

Tennis being less demanding than basketball isn't laughable; it's a fact. Get over it. Proven by studies.

Justin timberlake gets paid way more than Kobe Bryant,
So is dancing fmore physically demanding than Basketball.
Fod gods sake, you have people like K-Fed in hollywood, but no means is he even CLOSE to being fit for a tennis player.
See how stupid your argument is?
Just because you get paid more , you are the fitness king??

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Tennis is rougher on the joints. Basketball is rougher on the lungs. Football is the most brutal sport physically. Boxing is rough on the face. Every sport has its brutal nature.

Um. No. Boxing isn't just rough on the face. I bet you've never even thrown a punch in your life. Don't talk please. And football is not the most brutal sport physically. This is an American sterotype.

It would either go to Rugby or MMA (depending on what physical attributes we're talking about).

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Justin timberlake gets paid way more than Kobe Bryant,
So is dancing fmore physically demanding than Basketball.
Fod gods sake, you have people like K-Fed in hollywood, but no means is he even CLOSE to being fit for a tennis player.
See how stupid your argument is?
Just because you get paid more , you are the fitness king??

If you can't see how Kobe Bryant is a far superior athlete in terms of raw athleticism, I can't help you at all.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Slight shoulder or ankle injuries put you out of the game in the NBA. You lose a 1/4 of a step and you are useless to the team. In tennis, you can get away with throwing up, cramping, etc. and still manage to pull a win.

Examples :

1. Sampras at the USO, throwing up and still winning
2. Chang, cramping out of his mind and came back and beat Lendl

Just a few to name. Tennis is not that physically demanding of a sport; get over it. Basketball players at times go back to back games with little to no rest of intense playing (WITH physical contact too).

Nadal was not fatigued; that's just an excuse everyone wants to use. The truth is that Federer simply did not allow Nadal to play his best tennis. He neutralized his best weapon, the crosscourt forehand, and put Nadal into uncomfortable positions.

Wade often plays in NBA scoring 35 points in a game with his often occuring Back cramps. and thats suppose to make nba sound less demanding?
Some of these players are so mentally strong, that they make all these physical demands seem easy to cope, but in fact ,the adrenaline and us fans are what keeps them pushing themself to the limit.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Um. No. Boxing isn't just rough on the face. I bet you've never even thrown a punch in your life. Don't talk please. And football is not the most brutal sport physically. This is an American sterotype.

It would either go to Rugby or MMA (depending on what physical attributes we're talking about).
lol, talk about american stereotyping.
is bad spelling and arogant , any of them?

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Wade often plays in NBA scoring 35 points in a game with his often occuring Back cramps. and thats suppose to make nba sound less demanding?
Some of these players are so mentally strong, that they make all these physical demands seem easy to cope, but in fact ,the adrenaline and us fans are what keeps them pushing themself to the limit.

Um, do you even watch the NBA? When's the last time you saw Wade scoring 35 points in the NBA on a bum ankle or back cramp? I sure haven't seen that

When's the last time you saw a bum ankled player 6-0, 6-0 a top 10 player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwreJJgeYIg

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM

You're first language isn't even English; my grammar is perfectly fine there.

I'm not arrogant; the truth is that tennis is not that physically demanding of a sport, especially when you compare it to sports such as basketball, rugby, mixed martial arts, boxing, kick boxing, etc.

Hot Sauce
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't exactly agree with the thread title because it's quite a general thing to say that 24 hrs is enough to recover from ANYTHING. However, the OP is right that it was enough time for Nadal to recover.

It's kind of strange how everyone praises Nadal's fitness in a huge 5 set match in painful conditions, or how he always plays every point of every match like it's his last, but all of a sudden he's fatigued from a 3 set match the day before the final?

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
You're first language isn't even English; my grammar is perfectly fine there.

I'm not arrogant; the truth is that tennis is not that physically demanding of a sport, especially when you compare it to sports such as basketball, rugby, mixed martial arts, boxing, kick boxing, etc.

first of all, its Your, not You're,
second, its stereotype , not sterotype.

If english is your first language, I fear for your other languages.

Well, you have never really received roddick's serve, so Dont Talk Please.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't exactly agree with the thread title because it's quite a general thing to say that 24 hrs is enough to recover from ANYTHING. However, the OP is right that it was enough time for Nadal to recover.

It's kind of strange how everyone praises Nadal's fitness in a huge 5 set match in painful conditions, or how he always plays every point of every match like it's his last, but all of a sudden he's fatigued from a 3 set match the day before the final?
Most 4 hour matches are played in 5 sets. It was like a 5 set match more than a 3 set match from a time perspective. Actually it is more exhausting as the games are much longer. Points were longer as well. Add to it how incredibly close it was has to take a lot out of you emotionally. Nadal falling down when he won shows how much intensity was in it. You didn't experience the match so please spare us on the Nadal isn't physically fit argument.

Pwned
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Most 4 hour matches are played in 5 sets. It was like a 5 set match more than a 3 set match from a time perspective. Actually it is more exhausting as the games are much longer. Points were longer as well. Add to it how incredibly close it was has to take a lot out of you emotionally. Nadal falling down when he won shows how much intensity was in it. You didn't experience the match so please spare us on the Nadal isn't physically fit argument.

Most 4 hour matches don't have ~45 minutes of extra time spent doing nothing. That's what the 15 seconds extra Novak and Nadal spent over the allotted 25 seconds added up to.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Um, do you even watch the NBA? When's the last time you saw Wade scoring 35 points in the NBA on a bum ankle or back cramp? I sure haven't seen that

When's the last time you saw a bum ankled player 6-0, 6-0 a top 10 player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwreJJgeYIg

Maybe try watching Game 6 Playoffs Heats vs Hawks.
Its not that long ago....You troll..
FYI , Wade scored 46 points in Game 6...
Umm, Do you even watch the NBA?
Trying watching the playoffs , its what happens after the season games..

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
first of all, its Your, not You're,
second, its stereotype , not sterotype.

If english is your first language, I fear for your other languages.

Well, you have never really received roddick's serve, so Dont Talk Please.

Resorting to grammar corrections, and totally ignoring my points is a sign that you are losing the argument. Rather than facing defeat like a man, you run like a pansy. Good job at showing your true color (the white flag).

I am sorry that I am not able to properly think after being on prescription painkillers the whole day. What's your excuse for your lack of intelligence? Stupidity?

NamRanger
Maybe try watching Game 6 Playoffs Heats vs Hawks.
Its not that long ago....You troll..
FYI , Wade scored 46 points in Game 6...
Umm, Do you even watch the NBA?
Trying watching the playoffs , its what happens after the season games..

You call that back cramps? LOL. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Wade had a slight ache in his back, oh no. Was Wade throwing up on the court? Was Wade visibly going through a full body cramp such as Michael Chang? No. He wasn't.

Again, trying to switch subjects is another sign of you being a pansy. Try staying on subject and people might believe you more.

Nadal_Freak
Most 4 hour matches don't have ~45 minutes of extra time spent doing nothing. That's what the 15 seconds extra Novak and Nadal spent over the allotted 25 seconds added up to.
Did you count it? I don't think so. It might've made a 20-30 minute difference but that's it. still incredibly long match with some incredibly long points. The day before, Nadal had a 2 hour match with Verdasco. Not saying that made Nadal tired but combining that with the 4 hour match didn't help. Anyways Madrid is over. Time for the big tournament. :D

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Did you count it? I don't think so. It might've made a 20-30 minute difference but that's it. still incredibly long match with some incredibly long points. The day before, Nadal had a 2 hour match with Verdasco. Not saying that made Nadal tired but combining that with the 4 hour match didn't help. Anyways Madrid is over. Time for the big tournament. :D

30 minute difference + the time during change overs and timeout injuries. Total all that up and they were out on the court for maybe an hour to and hour and a half.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
30 minute difference + the time during change overs and timeout injuries. Total all that up and they were out on the court for maybe an hour to and hour and a half.
Now you are just trolling. You know the injuries timeouts are not that long. They are not allowed to take that long. But being the hater you are, you would exaggerate it like crazy. I voted for BP for the biggest troll but you aren't far behind.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:28 PM
You call that back cramps? LOL. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Wade had a slight ache in his back, oh no. Was Wade throwing up on the court? Was Wade visibly going through a full body cramp such as Michael Chang? No. He wasn't.

Again, trying to switch subjects is another sign of you being a pansy. Try staying on subject and people might believe you more.
A wise man once said
" You lose a 1/4 of a step and you are useless to the team."
Having a back spasm will lose u more than 1/4 of a step,
41 point is useless to the team, right??
I am on subject, you are just seeing things while on drugs..
Stay off drugs , its not good for you.

Hot Sauce
05-18-2009, 09:32 PM

The longer the match, the more and more time allocated to Nadal and Djokovic doing **** all in between points.

Here's the thing. It's the exact opposite of what you've said. Nadal trolls are arguing that Nadal ISN'T physically fit enough because he was fatigued against Federer, the day after he played Djokovic.

And you didn't experience the match, so please spare us the Nadal was fatigued argument. Your argument was very easy to pick apart.

And btw I like your avatar.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
The longer the match, the more and more time allocated to Nadal and Djokovic doing **** all in between points.

Here's the thing. It's the exact opposite of what you've said. Nadal trolls are arguing that Nadal ISN'T physically fit enough because he was fatigued against Federer, the day after he played Djokovic.

And you didn't experience the match, so please spare us the Nadal was fatigued argument. Very true but *******s/***********s don't understand something called logic.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Nadal said himself he was tired. I'll take Nadal's word. Not some thread that tells us how you should recover the next day. Pure junk.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Nadal said himself he was tired. I'll take Nadal's word. Not some thread that tells us how you should recover the next day. Pure junk.

:twisted:
If Chelsea_Kiwi said Nadal is not tired, then Nadal isnt tired.
Chelsea_kiwi is logic itself!!

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:37 PM
A wise man once said
" You lose a 1/4 of a step and you are useless to the team."
Having a back spasm will lose u more than 1/4 of a step,
41 point is useless to the team, right??
I am on subject, you are just seeing things while on drugs..
Stay off drugs , its not good for you.

You are not on subject. You are totally off subject. The subject was whether or not Nadal is fit enough to recover within 24 hours. I stated he should be, as there are athletes out there who are endure far more rigorous tasks then he does. Then you go off on a tangent saying that Dwayne Wade can score 40 points while still simultaneously having back cramps (which has no relevance to the topic of discussion).

I'm on prescription pain killers because I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

Anyways, your Dwayne Wade example isn't correct since his spasms had subsided by game 6. The game that they did bother him, he threw 2 air balls and was useless to his team (Game 4).

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM

Pros can be as biased as fans can be. Nadal is biased and just making stuff up because he is a sore loser. He needs to justify his losses with fatigue and altitude issues, when in reality Federer just owned him.

SOUNDS FAMILIAR?!

LET ME GIVE YOU A REMINDER

The players don't know any better than the fans. That is a myth that they know better. Fans can clearly see by the struggles to return or the amount of serve points they get free on how the surface plays. Maybe a hidden motive to get the organizers to speed up it even more to be more like carpet. Anyways Roddick never was that great on Wimbledon except for his prime years. He usually did better at the US open because he could actually break there. You know he is struggling with his game if he has to hold every time to win the match as he won't break.

Roddick is a freakin idiot so I wouldn't take any of his words seriously. He needed some excuse to justify his early loss at Wimbledon. Btw he didn't break Tipsarevic the whole match. haha. I do agree though that the US Open does suit him more as he feels more comfy on American hardcourts. He is a better returner there.

That's right. EAT YOUR OWN MEDICINE.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:45 PM
You are not on subject. You are totally off subject. The subject was whether or not Nadal is fit enough to recover within 24 hours. I stated he should be, as there are athletes out there who are endure far more rigorous tasks then he does. Then you go off on a tangent saying that Dwayne Wade can score 40 points while still simultaneously having back cramps (which has no relevance to the topic of discussion).

I'm on prescription pain killers because I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

Anyways, your Dwayne Wade example isn't correct since his spasms had subsided by game 6. The game that they did bother him, he threw 2 air balls and was useless to his team (Game 4).

Seriously, stay off the forum until your pain killers are gone.
Ironic, how its your wisdom tooth they pulled out..

I am a Heats Fan, and I watched every second of the game.
In Game 6, Wade had to leave at 2nd quarter to the locker room to deal with the back spasms,
and he was limping through out the game.
Watch the game, and then comment, you troll !

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Seriously, stay off the forum until your pain killers are gone.
Ironic, how its your wisdom tooth they pulled out..

I am a Heats Fan, and I watched every second of the game.
In Game 6, Wade had to leave at 2nd quarter to the locker room to deal with the back spasms,
and he was limping through out the game.
Watch the game, and then comment, you troll !

Yeah, because people with full back spasms can score 41 points on a NBA playoff defense. Whatever dude; if you really think Dwayne Wade had spasms you need to stop smoking whatever you are.

And again, you're still totally off topic because you're getting beat down into the ground this whole thread.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, because people with full back spasms can score 41 points on a NBA playoff defense. Whatever dude; if you really think Dwayne Wade had spasms you need to stop smoking whatever you are.

And again, you're still totally off topic because you're getting beat down into the ground this whole thread.

I found a news article for you.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2304184/

Try reading , if you dont know how to watch TV.

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I found a news article for you.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2304184/

Try reading , if you dont know how to watch TV.

Irrelevant, topic of discussion is whether or not Nadal can recover in 24 hours or not. You are arguing the semantics of an example that I brought up to show that Nadal should be fully capable of recovering within 24 hours after a "4 hour" match.

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Irrelevant, topic of discussion is whether or not Nadal can recover in 24 hours or not. You are arguing the semantics of an example that I brought up to show that Nadal should be fully capable of recovering within 24 hours after a "4 hour" match.

i think you are the person that actually first said basketball player are better atheletes than tennis players..
You are the the person who actually went off topic.
You troll, at least read your own posts, please, otherwise, who will..

delphi17
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM

btw, YOU GETTING OWNED is Irrelevant, I understand...
no spasm, oh no , Game 4, or no, Game 6, oh.. oh.. oh .. oh ... irrelevant,
get some rest man, you already have 7000 + useless posts, no rush to add a few more...

Bud
05-18-2009, 11:23 PM

In general, picking on spelling and grammar is pretty senseless. However, delphi, before calling someone else out on such trivialities... check your own posts!

delphi17
05-18-2009, 11:42 PM
In general, picking on spelling and grammar is pretty senseless. However, delphi, before calling someone else out on such trivialities... check your own posts!

good eyes. I apologise for my spelling.
Words and letters are all we have on the internet,
We should pay attention to our spelling, and i apologise.

NamRanger
05-19-2009, 08:41 AM
i think you are the person that actually first said basketball player are better atheletes than tennis players..
You are the the person who actually went off topic.
You troll, at least read your own posts, please, otherwise, who will..

Basketball players are better athletes than tennis players. Their sport is more demanding, and requires more raw athleticism (this is a proven scientific fact).

Again, I am using basketball players to show that Nadal should be fully capable of recovering within 24 hours, because basketball players themselves play a much physically demanding game, and yet are fully capable of recovering within 24 hours. Using fatigue as an excuse for the fittest athlete on the tour is totally stupid.

And again, you haven't shown anything that is relevant to the topic of discussion. All you are doing is still arguing about the semantics of an example that I brought up. Good job, you lose.

delphi17
05-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Basketball players are better athletes than tennis players. Their sport is more demanding, and requires more raw athleticism (this is a proven scientific fact).

Again, I am using basketball players to show that Nadal should be fully capable of recovering within 24 hours, because basketball players themselves play a much physically demanding game, and yet are fully capable of recovering within 24 hours. Using fatigue as an excuse for the fittest athlete on the tour is totally stupid.

And again, you haven't shown anything that is relevant to the topic of discussion. All you are doing is still arguing about the semantics of an example that I brought up. Good job, you lose.

proven scientific fact by who? the nam ranger institute of sport? get facts, dont just be a scientific troll..

again, you have proven that by bringing the semantics of an example up, you are the person who has actually started going off topic..
And being owned on the semantics of an example you brought up, I repeat, OWNED!! you are then scientifically proving that you have won (or that i have scientifically lost)..
You sir are a troll, and fyi, I wasnt even aware you think we are even in a competition.
I was owning you from day one.. or game 4, or game 6 or ...or...
:lol:

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Everybody said Nadal was tired: the commentators, the press, Nadal himself... The only person who said Nadal was not tired is... right, I guess everybody understands who that is :lol:
BTW he was not only tired from the 4 hour marathon encounter less than 24 hours earlier, he also had the mileage of his 4th consecutive clay final. As the interviewer said at the start of the on court interview "maybe that was one match too much". Everybody has their limits, Nadal hit his in that match and I couldn't care less if a bunch of sour pusses on an internet forum claim Nadal should not be affected by anything and have limitless endurance. Nobody does, everyone is liable to either physical or mental fatigue after a lot of matches and/or tougher than usual encounters.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Everybody said Nadal was tired: the commentators, the press, Nadal himself... The only person who said Nadal was not tired is... right, I guess everybody understands who that is :lol:

I agree completely. Here is what the article said.

Despite a marathon semi-final with Djokovic, Nadal refused to blame his exertions on Saturday evening for the loss: “I never tend to use an excuse and if I’m tired it’s because I played longer than I should have yesterday and today I played less, that’s the way that sport works. The court was very, very fast. When you are lacking that spark, if you’re able to get into the game you can slowly get back and recover but he used his tactic. He went forth from the very beginning and he was better. That’s all there is to it.

“On any court Federer is tough and the conditions here are more favourable for him and if you’re not at a 100%, it’s very difficult to beat him and I think he deserved to win much more than I did today.”

Clearly, he admits he was tired. Here's the link.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_3698.asp

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
What a bunch of sore losers, Nadal wasn't tired, isn't he the most athletic guy in the world? Didn't he play a 4+ hour semi final and then went on to win the final, no he wasn't tired.

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, yeah, he can say it all he wants, he knows he wasn't tired

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
What a bunch of sore losers, Nadal wasn't tired, isn't he the most athletic guy in the world? Didn't he play a 4+ hour semi final and then went on to win the final, no he wasn't tired.

Nadal said he wasn't at 100%. If he wasn't at 100%, it means he was tired.

Are you saying Nadal was lying? Lol...

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:06 PM

So he was 100% for the final of the AO? Even after that semi?
Yeah I'm saying he's lying in an attempt to make himself not look as weak.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:10 PM

I think he had more rest after the AO semi.

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 06:10 PM
What is so hard to understand about:
at AO he had a full day off between the semi and the final = enough recovery time.
In Madrid he had less than 24 hours before the final = not enough recovery time.
I didn't think one needed to be Einstein to understand the difference!

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
What is so hard to understand about:
at AO he had a full day off between the semi and the final = enough recovery time.
In Madrid he had less than 24 hours before the final = not enough recovery time.
I didn't think one needed to be Einstein to understand the difference!

You know that top notch atheletes don't need a full 24 hours to recover right? Just because your old bones can't handle the wear and tear of daily life, so don't try to make the connection that pro atheletes are like normal people with normal body systems.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
You know that top notch atheletes don't need a full 24 hours to recover right? Just because your old bones can't handle the wear and tear of daily life, so don't try to make the connection that pro atheletes are like normal people with normal body systems.

Tennis players do. Tennis is not a team sport where one can sit out for a couple of minutes. You have to spend all 4 hours on court by yourself.

Less than 24 hours is not enough to recharge to 100% after such a long match, even though they spent a lot of time bouncing balls and butt-picking.

Can we just drop this argument?

Look on the previous page. Nadal said he wasn't at 100%. Why would he lie?

End of story.

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Tennis players do. Tennis is not a team sport where one can sit out for a couple of minutes. You have to spend all 4 hours on court by yourself.

Less than 24 hours is not enough to recharge to 100% after such a long match, even though they spent a lot of time bouncing balls and butt-picking.

Can we just drop this argument?

Look on the previous page. Nadal said he wasn't at 100%. Why would he lie?

End of story.
I don't think you get it, all atheletes train to play in all types of situations, inculding being tired and having to play, that's why they train 6 hours a day to get in incredible shape, and I'm saying he lied so he doesn't look weak to others, it's all about image

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't think you get it, all atheletes train to play in all types of situations, inculding being tired and having to play, that's why they train 6 hours a day to get in incredible shape, and I'm saying he lied so he doesn't look weak to others, it's all about image

On the contrary, I thought Rafa was very humble.

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:27 PM
On the contrary, I thought Rafa was very humble.
Humble is all part of the plan to make a good image of himself, the more humble the more likable he is, don't believe me? Ask any Nadal fan on this board and I can say that 99% will say that one of their main reasons because he is oh so humble, he brainwashes weak minded people into believing that he really is what they show on tv.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Humble is all part of the plan to make a good image of himself, the more humble the more likable he is, don't believe me? Ask any Nadal fan on this board and I can say that 99% will say that one of their main reasons because he is oh so humble, he brainwashes weak minded people into believing that he really is what they show on tv.

Well, I can't really argue with the idea that he may be feigning humbleness.

Oh well, at least we had a good discussion.

Have a nice day...

Serve_Ace
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Well, I can't really argue with the idea that he may be feigning humbleness.

Oh well, at least we had a good discussion.

Have a nice day...

Thanks, you to

oneleggedcardinal
05-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Are you saying Nadal was lying? Lol...

If Nadal said this, he's a poor sport.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 07:24 PM
If Nadal said this, he's a poor sport.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_3698.asp

“On any court Federer is tough and the conditions here are more favourable for him and if you’re not at a 100%, it’s very difficult to beat him and I think he deserved to win much more than I did today.”

dincuss
05-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Please
Ignore

Federer_pilon
05-19-2009, 08:06 PM

No, he clearly wasn't 100% for the final. It was pretty obvious. The thing is ...he didn't need to be at 100% to win that night.

delphi17
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM

so when some one says Federer is arrogant , it is all part of the plan to make a bad image of himself, the more arrogant the more hateable he is, dont believe you?
Ask any Federer fan on this board and I can say that 99% will say that one of their main reasons becausde he is oh so confident, he brainwashes strong minded people into believing that he really is what they show on tv.

delphi17
05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Also, Can every non-nadal fan at least understand Australian Open Semi = 48 hrs rest..
Madrid = less than 24 hrs rest.
48 > 24...
Stop using AO as an explanation..
Our math education has clearly failed on some people.