PDA

View Full Version : The Federer drop shot : Use it more

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
It's been a devastating shot this clay court season, particularly in Madrid, and it's won Federer a nice amount of points straight out, or set him up to put the ball away easy.

Even on hard courts, who remembers when Federer hit a drop shot on Murray and just walked off, knowing he would win the point. Murray scrambled but still couldn't get to it.

On grass courts, it dismantled Marc Giguel in Wimbledon 2008.

Federer should use this more. A commentator mentioned how a few years ago Federer said "dropshots weren't him". Well make it a part of you Federer!

egn
05-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Problem is French Open is slower so he won't get the S+V drop shot on clay as well, but on grass he should invest in S+V more often. Look how well it worked today on "fast clay" which is still slower than "slow grass" it got him so good decisive points.

World Beater
05-17-2009, 04:16 PM
it was ridiculous the way he schooled del pony with all the droppers...even off the serve..lmao.

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Bsgk5tu5M

Legendary

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
I want to see more droppers from Fed. Especially considering the fact that most of the players he has difficulty with are usually defending way behind the baseline. Simon, Murray, Nadal.

christo
05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
that was sick

AprilFool
05-17-2009, 05:46 PM
It's been a devastating shot this clay court season, particularly in Madrid, and it's won Federer a nice amount of points straight out, or set him up to put the ball away easy.

Even on hard courts, who remembers when Federer hit a drop shot on Murray and just walked off, knowing he would win the point. Murray scrambled but still couldn't get to it.

On grass courts, it dismantled Marc Giguel in Wimbledon 2008.

Federer should use this more. A commentator mentioned how a few years ago Federer said "dropshots weren't him". Well make it a part of you Federer!

I think he always felt it beneath him to use it even though it's the best in the game. He's quite the purist. If he mixes it up like he did in Madrid it will work on the clay of Paris as well.

sh@de
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I think Fed should use the dropper more. His has got to be the best out there. A question for you guys though, I've always been confused by this. Is a drop shot more effective (i.e. bounces less) on clay or grass? On clay, bounce is higher, so it should be less effective than grass right? But, on clay, the underspin from the drop should dig in more than on grass, so the bounce should be less. Which of these two is right? I've never figured it out...

Fate Archer
05-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I think Fed should use the dropper more. His has got to be the best out there. A question for you guys though, I've always been confused by this. Is a drop shot more effective (i.e. bounces less) on clay or grass? On clay, bounce is higher, so it should be less effective than grass right? But, on clay, the underspin from the drop should dig in more than on grass, so the bounce should be less. Which of these two is right? I've never figured it out...

I think it's not about how the ball's spin digs on the clay or the grass courts, but actually how far behind the baseline players place themselves on both courts.
Since clay court rallies last much longer and the players are usually 1 or 2 meters behind the baseline, the dropshot ends up being a much more effective and used resource on clay than on grass.

Fedexeon
05-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, its very confusing for his opponents because Federer uses so much of his sliced backhand.. and his opponents just can't read whether he gona use his usual sliced backhand or the dropshot. Its just crazy.

sh@de
05-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Man his dropper is sooo sick. I adore it :p.

l_gonzalez
05-18-2009, 03:25 AM
the great thing about it is that it's such a safe shot... he always gives it plenty of height and really cuts under the ball so that when it lands it never keeps bouncing forward but isntead just bounces pretty much on the spot, or even comes back a little towards the net.

Compare that to the Djokovic dropshot which is more of a short punt of the ball, he has to hit perfectly for the opponent to not reach it, whereas Federer has a lot more margin for error.

Rabbit
05-18-2009, 04:41 AM
I think he always felt it beneath him to use it even though it's the best in the game. He's quite the purist. If he mixes it up like he did in Madrid it will work on the clay of Paris as well.

Actually, Federer has said quite the opposite. Three or four years ago, Federer said he wanted to incorporate the drop shot more into his game after playing some dirt ballers who used it quite frequently.

I agree with the rest in this thread, Federer's drop shots in the Madrid tournament were the best I've seen in a long time. Many of them hit and died on the spot and he was hitting them from deep in his own court with great disguise and accuracy.

DarthFed
05-18-2009, 04:59 AM
the great thing about it is that it's such a safe shot... he always gives it plenty of height and really cuts under the ball so that when it lands it never keeps bouncing forward but isntead just bounces pretty much on the spot, or even comes back a little towards the net.

Compare that to the Djokovic dropshot which is more of a short punt of the ball, he has to hit perfectly for the opponent to not reach it, whereas Federer has a lot more margin for error.

Lol Zero-shiki

But seriously his dropshot is good..why he doesn't use it idk...it was funny how he just walked away..confident that he had won the point

ChanceEncounter
05-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Actually, Federer has said quite the opposite. Three or four years ago, Federer said he wanted to incorporate the drop shot more into his game after playing some dirt ballers who used it quite frequently.

I agree with the rest in this thread, Federer's drop shots in the Madrid tournament were the best I've seen in a long time. Many of them hit and died on the spot and he was hitting them from deep in his own court with great disguise and accuracy.
He's also said that it wasn't really his game. I think Federer doesn't like using drop shots, for reasons we can only speculate.

I don't know why though, his drop shot has to be one of the best on tour. His one handed backhand helps there too, as he can disguise his shot as a normal slice and really get the jump on players who are too busy pushing the ball back from 10 feet behind the baseline.

aphex
05-18-2009, 05:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVxfVjlAd0

mikeler
05-18-2009, 05:06 AM
He's also said that it wasn't really his game. I think Federer doesn't like using drop shots, for reasons we can only speculate.

I don't know why though, his drop shot has to be one of the best on tour. His one handed backhand helps there too, as he can disguise his shot as a normal slice and really get the jump on players who are too busy pushing the ball back from 10 feet behind the baseline.

I think he used to feel like he could win without tactics like drop shots. I'm hoping for the sake of all Fed fans that he goes all out with any tactic to get the win.

Jchurch
05-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Lol Zero-shiki

But seriously his dropshot is good..why he doesn't use it idk...it was funny how he just walked away..confident that he had won the point

He thinks that it ruins the beauty of a point. I think when he does the shot it is just so gorgeous though

joeri888
05-18-2009, 05:33 AM
He's one of the greatest touch-players the world has ever seen, of course he should use it more. Should have done that in his prime, and it might have made a difference at RG. Now it really won't I'm afraid

nikdom
05-18-2009, 05:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVxfVjlAd0

Yeah I remember this one. Too frikkin awesome!!

In the middle of a rally, he just casually chooses to slice-drop on the BH side within 3 feet of the net. Simply ridiculous. I tried a dropper once from the baseline once and it went very very bad :)

coloskier
05-18-2009, 05:49 AM

I think it even's itself out. On clay, the bounce is higher, but it also does not travel as far into the court. On grass, it travels farther into the court, but it usually skids very low so that the opponent always has to hit "up" on the ball, leaving an easy shot for a winner.

aphex
05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
I think it's not about how the ball's spin digs on the clay or the grass courts, but actually how far behind the baseline players place themselves on both courts.
Since clay court rallies last much longer and the players are usually 1 or 2 meters behind the baseline, the dropshot ends up being a much more effective and used resource on clay than on grass.

what u said-

also, grip is much better on grass, therefore easier to start accelerating towards the net

LanceStern
05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
That one on Agassi WAS unreal. My goodness

sheq
05-18-2009, 01:24 PM
wow this is the coolest drop shot ever :) the one against murray

Cesc Fabregas
05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
You have to be in an attacking position to hit drop shots when Nadal is pounding his backhand he cannot use the drop shot.

LanceStern
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
You have to be in an attacking position to hit drop shots when Nadal is pounding his backhand he cannot use the drop shot.

It happened once in the match where even when Nadal was looping it to his backhand, he hit a drop shot.

It wasn't Nadal's most explosive forehand though. I agree you have to be on the upper hand.

AprilFool
05-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Link please. According to the OP and others in this thread, you are incorrect. I also remember Federer quoted in kind fashion.

His drop shots in Madrid were just as good as his drop shots from years ago,

LanceStern
05-20-2009, 09:55 AM
What's crazy about his drop shots on Nadal was that they weren't being used when Nadal was out of position.

Nadal saw them coming and started sprinting at them immediately, but still couldn't get to it. They just died. That's scary

LanceStern
05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Link please. According to the OP and others in this thread, you are incorrect. I also remember Federer quoted in kind fashion.

His drop shots in Madrid were just as good as his drop shots from years ago,

Here's more proof of Fed disliking the drop shot. From today, May 25, 2009 after his FO match:

I’m happy I got to learn how to use the dropshot over the years,” said Federer, who is one major title away from equalling Pete Sampras’s overall record of 14.

“I used to not be a fan of the dropshot at all. I always thought it was a shot you only hit when you’re panicking from the baseline, when you’re scared maybe to take on the fight.
“Today I realised that actually you can use it to your advantage against like players like Martin. It just makes it a little bit more easy.

DarthMaul
05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Just a little remember with no comment. Some say that there was weak competition at that time... If that's weak... Look at those beautiful dropshots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afGS6mDsrs

OddJack
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Many drop shots in this match also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsWtjtTBkAM

World Beater
05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
federer's drop shot is a confidence shot.

the moment he misses one...he stops using it.

if he is feeling a little low on confidence - you will not see him bring it out.