05-17-2009, 04:20 PM
did you see the bounce Fed gets with the KICKER

Oh my Yahweh!!!!

that was stunning

EASY S&V all day long with that kicker serve

Fed needs to just kicker 2nd serves all day long against NAdal

BreakPoint
05-17-2009, 04:27 PM
^^^^ I agree. That kick serve Federer hit on a 2nd serve in the ad court was absolutely sick!! It pulled Nadal way, way off the court and Federer could just hit the half-volley anywhere in the court for an easy winner. :)

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm looking at highlights, and it looked like Fed did a LOT of things right in that match:

Serving
was on fire! Thank you Jesus! It failed him in AO2009, but it really was here today. Especially that nasty kick serve! If it wasn't an ace, it set Federer up really well in the rally. It won him a lot of points and save dhim from bps and unfavorable points in the match.

Guarding the backhand.
Federer made a handful of backhand errors at the start, so he started playing a little safer with it. He started cheating over to his backhand side so he could run around it a lot of the times.

FOREHAND ON
No need to mention this, it speaks for itself.

DROP SHOT
He needs to use this more against everyone. It doesn't work him hard, and he hits it the best out of all the players on tour. It literally stops, and he can just wait for the point to be finished. See my other topic topic.

Movement
was on! He was moving really well, like a gazelle. He ran around his backhand really well, and got up to the net very fast. Haven't seen him move this well since AO2009 final or AO2009 vs. Del Potro or USOpen2008 vs. Murray / Djokovic.

Fed described it as a perfect match, I agree.

federerdomination
05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
^^^^ I agree. That kick serve Federer hit on a 2nd serve in the ad court was absolutely sick!! It pulled Nadal way, way off the court and Federer could just hit the half-volley anywhere in the court for an easy winner. :)

I remember that!

Hopefully someone will put on youtube

bizarre_opinion
05-17-2009, 04:44 PM
totally agree guys, nice posts.

sureshs
05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm looking at highlights, and it looked like Fed did a LOT of things right in that match:

Guarding the backhand.
Federer made a handful of backhand errors at the start, so he started playing a little safer with it. He started cheating over to his backhand side so he could run around it a lot of the times.

Ain't going to work in RG. Nadal will slam a winner into the open court.

BreakPoint
05-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Um...then why didn't Nadal do that today? The court in Madrid is supposed to be much faster than at RG after all so it would be easier to hit a winner into the open court in Madrid than it would be at RG. :-?

(K)evin
05-17-2009, 05:00 PM

dude it's alright no need to be that upset about it. if nadal wins RG than he wins it but if he doesn't that's okay too

hoosierbr
05-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I think Edberg and Rafter already proved this to be true.

DNShade
05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I think Edberg and Rafter already proved this to be true.

Yep...there was a reason they both had great kick serves and used them as firsts and followed them in.

sh@de
05-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Serving
was on fire! Thank you Jesus! It failed him in AO2009, but it really was here today. Especially that nasty kick serve! If it wasn't an ace, it set Federer up really well in the rally. It won him a lot of points and save dhim from bps and unfavorable points in the match.

Guarding the backhand.

FOREHAND ON

DROP SHOT
He needs to use this more against everyone. It doesn't work him hard, and he hits it the best out of all the players on tour. It literally stops, and he can just wait for the point to be finished. See my other topic topic.

Movement
was on! He was moving really well, like a gazelle. He ran around his backhand really well, and got up to the net very fast. Haven't seen him move this well since AO2009 final or AO2009 vs. Del Potro or USOpen2008 vs. Murray / Djokovic.

Yeah I think what you've said covers pretty much anything. The bits he needs to improve must be stop making so many forehand errors because he still sprayed a few today, and maybe up that serving percentage even higher, like to, high 60s... 67/68. It'll do him much good. Oh and yeah, maybe one thing you didn't put down, I thought he had much more variety and aggression with his service returns. That was important.

King of Aces
05-17-2009, 05:36 PM
did you see the bounce Fed gets with the KICKER

Oh my Yahweh!!!!

that was stunning

EASY S&V all day long with that kicker serve

Fed needs to just kicker 2nd serves all day long against NAdal

YAHWEH......Thats too funny. Bit of trivia there....I have not heard that in a loooooong time.

RoddickAce
05-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I remember that!

Hopefully someone will put on youtube

Don't know if someone cropped that particular point out, but it's in the highlights at 3:24:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdoITRNDZk

Cenc
05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
it does work
thats how edberg came to roland garros finals

iamgoat
05-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Serving

Guarding the backhand.

FOREHAND ON

DROP SHOT

Movement

great post.
he was playing solidly throughout. drop shots worked perfectly.