PDA

View Full Version : What Federer can do RIGHT to beat Nadal

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 05:43 PM
*MADRID SPOILERS MAYBE*

Todays match was awesome. I'm very happy Federer won. Here's the reference highlight video for some times I'm going to point out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF6icB8r1Pg

I'm watching the highlights and it seems Federer played outstanding today. From what I can see, Federer did a lot of things right today, and it baffled Nadal just a little bit:

I'm looking at highlights, and it looked like Fed did a LOT of things right in that match:

Staying steady on break points
Yes he did. Kept his head straight. Plus the next point helped him too:

Serving
was on fire! Thank you Jesus! It failed him in AO2009, but it really was here today. Especially that nasty kick serve! If it wasn't an ace, it set Federer up really well in the rally. It won him a lot of points and saved him from bps and unfavorable points in the match. Check out (1:07 )

Guarding the backhand.
Federer made a handful of backhand errors at the start, so he started playing a little safer with it. He started cheating over to his backhand side so he could run around it a lot of the times.

FOREHAND ON
No need to mention this, it speaks for itself. He was thumping the ball this way and that, and a lot of running around inside-in and inside out forehands that painted the lines and nadal couldn't get to. (check out 00:18-00:25, 00:55-1:06, 1:46, 2:00, 3:40 - 3:50, 5:15)

DROP SHOT
He needs to use this more against everyone. It makes for short points, and he hits it the best out of all the players on tour. Murray and Djokovic can learn from this *Roddick has a great forehand dropper though*. It literally stops, and he can just wait for the point to be finished. (Check out 2:15-2:40, 3:50),

He won a couple of points against Nadal today with sick drop shots out of nowhere. It would be a good tactic at the French. See my other topic topic.

Movement
was on! He was moving really well, like a gazelle. He ran around his backhand really well, and got up to the net very fast. Haven't seen him move this well since AO2009 final or AO2009 vs. Del Potro or USOpen2008 vs. Murray / Djokovic. As a result, Nadal was only able to hit 12 winners on Federer, had to go for more, and made 16 errors (Fed made 25 winners, 25 errors)

Fed described it as a perfect match, I agree.

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Edit nevermind

Dilettante
05-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Federer played great.

The thing is: conditions are important. For example, Nadal is more vulnerable in 3-setters than in 5-setters, even on clay.We've seen a lot of times that Nadal plays a weak 1st set and takes some time for him to focus in the match (he rarely loses focus after that, though).

Federer did many things right and he managed to beat Nadal. But now, with RG coming, he needs to take all that things to a 5-setter scenario. And, more difficult, to a slower clay scenario.

I honestly think that something like Madrid's final won't happen at all in FO, if they meet there again.

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 06:07 PM
And actually,k even with this perfect game, it still could have gone either way because Nadal had many break point chances.

Fed can play better. Hopefully he pulls that out in the French Open. We can also point to this being a much faster court, but that just gives me more confidence if they meet on hard courts again.

IvanAndreevich
05-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I love those drop shots. They are so beautiful to watch. I am happy he's finally using the shot after saying in the past that he doesn't feel like it's a natural part of his game.

sh@de
05-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Woah, look at that rally from around 0:50-1:06. It looks like Fed's pummeling Nadal's backhand like Nadal usually does to Fed!

Nice post OP. I think you've summed it up well. One thing I'd like to add is that Fed had variety in his returning game today. That was important.

LanceStern
05-17-2009, 11:52 PM
That's what I heard as well.

He tried a chip and charge, he returned deep backhands etc. I think it confused Nadal a little bit

tata
05-18-2009, 01:39 AM
And with slower clay in paris id like to see fed run around for an inside out forehand more often and rip it

OddJack
05-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Roger actually had 7 aces. One was called out and the umpire was too lazy to get up his *** and take a look at the mark. The hawk eye confirmed it.

Nadal basically had no net game. 1 out of 2. Roger had 7 out of 9.

Nadal had zero drop shots.

luckyguy
05-18-2009, 01:57 AM
1) be consistently aggressive and keep the rallies short..
2) come to net as much as possible
3) be mentally tougher.

OddJack
05-18-2009, 02:02 AM
3) be mentally tougher.

All Im hoping for is #3, his arsenal is complete.
That and a game plan he can stick with.

Rhino
05-18-2009, 02:09 AM
And actually,k even with this perfect game, it still could have gone either way because Nadal had many break point chances.

Yes, but it's often been like that the other way around. A lot of Nadals wins could've gone either way too. So often Fed has been leading in sets, only to lose them against Nadal.

I think, like Federer said, this time he remained positive, and kept his belief.

He even looked different out there yesterday. He looked like a man who was keeping his cool. Sometimes I've seen Fed look very hang-dog and broken in his matches against Nadal. He has even looked a bit scared when he's been winning! Not this time. Hopefully Federer can hold onto this attitude of belief, because along with his game plan adjustments, he is fully capable of beating Nadal any time they play.

LanceStern
05-18-2009, 02:32 PM
3) be mentally tougher.

If I could comment on #2, you have to not get demoralized when he passes you, because he hits amazing passing shots.

It can be very scary to come in, because it's tough to get a volley off of his spinny shots

Nadal basically had no net game. 1 out of 2. Roger had 7 out of 9.

Nadal had zero drop shots.

I think for the match Fed had 10 / 18. Federer didn't really let Nadal come to the net.

rocket
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, but it's often been like that the other way around. A lot of Nadals wins could've gone either way too. So often Fed has been leading in sets, only to lose them against Nadal.

I think, like Federer said, this time he remained positive, and kept his belief.

He even looked different out there yesterday. He looked like a man who was keeping his cool. Sometimes I've seen Fed look very hang-dog and broken in his matches against Nadal. He has even looked a bit scared when he's been winning! Not this time. Hopefully Federer can hold onto this attitude of belief, because along with his game plan adjustments, he is fully capable of beating Nadal any time they play.

Accurate observation!

fastdunn
05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Let's not get too excited about this one victory on rather irrelavant surface.

Federer did run-around much more of his backhand with forehand but Nadal's backhand was not working well. Federer mostly run-around Nadal's (short) backhands well and still could not run-around Nadal's forehands with much success.

Federer's drop shot worked well but he has to be very careful with Nadal next time. Nadal was visibly sluggish yesterday and it might not work that well at Roland Garros. Drop shotting too much against healthy Nadal on clay is pretty risky idea in general.

The best scenario for Federer still remains as one without Nadal at the final, IMHO.

CCNM
05-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Some folks on Roger's site say he won because he played Rafa's game of time-wasting (he stayed on the bench until Nadal was done with his routine-so I've heard) and he made him serve first.Apparently Rafa doesn't like to serve first.:confused:

Docalex007
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Can't make out the ball in that you tube video... why do people even bother jeez.

Uncle Emmitt
05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
the thing I've thought of for a while that would help Roger in this is what he did alot yesterday. I'm surprised not too many people mention it.

His forehand he started hitting higher over the net with more spin, especially the inside in forehand to Nadal's backhand. It pushes Nadal a little farther back and he has to hit it higher rather than Fed ripping it , it being a little lower and Rafa just ripping it back crosscourt. That one will open up the inside out flatter one a little more too.

I remember him doing that some in previous matches against Nadal on clay and would have pretty good results but then just would'nt use it much. IMO thats a key shot for him to have any chance at Roland Garros against Nadal.

The drop shot included helps too.

Federer deserved to win the tournament period. Will he now win Roland Garros??

My bet would be no. Some pressure off Rafa now along with a days rest he will have good movement again. ( remember Austrailia ) He clearly wasn't moving as well as normal on Sunday.

This result adds a little spice to Roland Garros now though. Djokavich is looking real good too.

Paris , Here we come. Looking forward to it !!!!

Head Tennis Professional

Fliparoni
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I really liked how, instead of mindlessly just bashing the ball, he kept attacking Rafa's backhand, much like how Rafa keeps attacking his own backhand.

LanceStern
05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Can't make out the ball in that you tube video... why do people even bother jeez.

It is very tough on some points, but you can see it.

coloskier
05-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Attack the 2nd serve. Make Nadal pay for the lollypop.