PDA

View Full Version : How do retirements affect ratings?

OrangePower
05-18-2009, 12:40 AM
One of my teammates got injured during our USTA match today, so he and his partner had to retire with the score at 5-5 in the first set. I was wondering, how is this handled from a ratings perspective? Is the match ignored, is it considered to be won 7-5 6-0, or are the number of games evaluated as at the time of the retirement?

SB
05-18-2009, 09:45 AM
One of my teammates got injured during our USTA match today, so he and his partner had to retire with the score at 5-5 in the first set. I was wondering, how is this handled from a ratings perspective? Is the match ignored, is it considered to be won 7-5 6-0, or are the number of games evaluated as at the time of the retirement?

I don't think a retirement counts at all toward your rating, but I'm not 100% sure.

JavierLW
05-18-2009, 12:18 PM

I think only the games played would count toward your rating. But you'd have to ask a coordinator to be sure.

Sure would be some loophole if you could agree to retire a match if it didnt count toward your rating.

(I know a team that was flipping racquets with other teams or they agreed to just put in 1-0 as the score once they clinched first place, they went on to finish 4th at Nationals)

I read somewhere about what you are talking about (games get added to give player the full score needed to finish), and I think that may just count toward the teams record.

Although maybe they did that just to keep teams from doing what I just described....

JLyon
05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
wonder about the retirement also as league team recently had a self-rate in doubles while up 6-2, 5-1 retire, using excuse of fixing to get into a fight.

JavierLW
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
wonder about the retirement also as league team recently had a self-rate in doubles while up 6-2, 5-1 retire, using excuse of fixing to get into a fight.

Actually you can confirm this with your coordinator but I was taught there is a difference between stopping play because you are unable to play (due to injury or lack of physical condition) and stopping play because you just dont feel like playing anymore or something else came up.

Not finishing play when you are not injured and you haven't completely lost your condition is technically a default.

However captains dont know that so they probably mark it as a retirement anyway in tennislink.

(we had a player in our 3.0 team years ago once who walked off in the middle of a match because of supposed bad line calls, he was never seen or heard from again...)

OrangePower
05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I know that tennislink does differentiate between Default and Retirement, although who knows if captains typically enter it in correctly.

In the case I'm describing in this thread, it was a legitimate injury - our player actually passed out on the court, apparently from heat / dehydration. He came to a few minutes later and is ok now, but was advised by another member of our team (who is a doctor) not to continue.

Tennis link shows the opponents as winners, with the winner's score entered as 5-5 RE.

Was wondering about the ratings because the parter of the guy who fainted was a bit upset about the situation since he is having a great season and was hoping to get bumped up at the end of the year, but thought that this might count against him through no fault of his own.

JavierLW
05-18-2009, 08:03 PM
I know that tennislink does differentiate between Default and Retirement, although who knows if captains typically enter it in correctly.

In the case I'm describing in this thread, it was a legitimate injury - our player actually passed out on the court, apparently from heat / dehydration. He came to a few minutes later and is ok now, but was advised by another member of our team (who is a doctor) not to continue.

Tennis link shows the opponents as winners, with the winner's score entered as 5-5 RE.

Was wondering about the ratings because the parter of the guy who fainted was a bit upset about the situation since he is having a great season and was hoping to get bumped up at the end of the year, but thought that this might count against him through no fault of his own.

I dont see how it would count as anything that would be any different as say this score:

4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (games are even as well)

It goes by games, not wins or losses. He played 10 games against someone there is there is no reason why that wouldnt count, but winning 6-0, 6-0 (only 12 games) would.

I would think what your year end rating is would be the least of anyone's concern. They played 10 games and if they were truely tied at 5-5, it is what it is.....

(if that wasnt the score though then your captain needed to dispute the score in tennislink and contact the coordinator within 48 hours after it went in)

The only way it should matter is if those were really weak opponents and he's claiming he would of somehow clobbered them if the match had finished, but could of, should of, would of.....you never know....

OrangePower
05-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I dont see how it would count as anything that would be any different as say this score:

4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (games are even as well)

It goes by games, not wins or losses. He played 10 games against someone there is there is no reason why that wouldnt count, but winning 6-0, 6-0 (only 12 games) would.

I would think what your year end rating is would be the least of anyone's concern. They played 10 games and if they were truely tied at 5-5, it is what it is.....

(if that wasnt the score though then your captain needed to dispute the score in tennislink and contact the coordinator within 48 hours after it went in)

The only way it should matter is if those were really weak opponents and he's claiming he would of somehow clobbered them if the match had finished, but could of, should of, would of.....you never know....

I think you're right. I think the partner of the guy who had to retire was just upset because this spoiled his perfect record so far.

JavierLW
05-19-2009, 06:31 AM
I think you're right. I think the partner of the guy who had to retire was just upset because this spoiled his perfect record so far.

Right.

I like to keep track of my record as well, never been in a retirement though. (and I dont count defaults as anything since they are usually matches that werent played)

At least he probably shouldnt have to worry about his rating.