PDA

View Full Version : I got 2 questions:how to speed up,slow down a surface?

Dutch-Guy
05-18-2009, 02:03 AM
I got 2 questions:

1.How to speed up or slow down:
- clay
- grass
- hardcourts (in and door)

My knowledge on this matter is very limited.

2. In your opinion,most players 'd prefer:

-a sped up court and why?
-a slowed down court and why?

Post away.

origmarm
05-18-2009, 02:30 AM
I have relatively little knowledge about this also so am interested in seeing what comes up.

Clay however is relatively clear, the more humid the clay, the slower it will play. Hence the spraying with water. I'm not sure if you noticed but in the Murray/Del Potro match in Madrid, after the first set Del Potro requested that the court be sprayed. Murray agreed and it was sprayed. My understanding is that normally this is done before the match and at the change after two sets if the match is to continue.

With grass I understand that the type of grass has a big influence here, hence the controversy over the change of variety at Wimbledon. Also the underlying surface mix i.e. the sand/earth mix will affect bounce greatly. The length of the grass will also be a factor, as will the weather (and hence the moisture content of the ground).

Hardcourts by contrast I would imagine to be fairly consistent with only temperature being a significant variable. Interested to hear opinions on this.

As for the player's preferences I feel you are going to get as many preferences as there are players and opponents. What I mean by this is that some styles will prefer a fast court, some slow.

Matchups are also important in that some players may like a fast court except when playing a particular player. For example Blake will generally prefer a fast court but may prefer to play a slower court against Roddick as it neutralises his main weapon to a degree.

Cheers, Orig

Dilettante
05-18-2009, 02:33 AM
2. In your opinion,most players 'd prefer:

-a sped up court and why?
-a slowed down court and why?

I would say it's 50-50, more or less.

Dutch-Guy
05-18-2009, 02:39 AM
I have relatively little knowledge about this also so am interested in seeing what comes up.

Clay however is relatively clear, the more humid the clay, the slower it will play. Hence the spraying with water.
I remember well that the court was sprayed after every match but yesterday Nadal claimed that the court was still fast.
I'm not sure if you noticed but in the Murray/Del Potro match in Madrid, after the first set Del Potro requested that the court be sprayed. Murray agreed and it was sprayed. My understanding is that normally this is done before the match and at the change after two sets if the match is to continue.
I didn't notice.That might have helped Del Potro to win.
With grass I understand that the type of grass has a big influence here, hence the controversy over the change of variety at Wimbledon.
What kind of grass was used in Wimby pre-2001 and now?
Also the underlying surface mix i.e. the sand/earth mix will affect bounce greatly. The length of the grass will also be a factor, as will the weather (and hence the moisture content of the ground).
With the roof now,things are gonna be more different i assume.

sh@de
05-18-2009, 03:21 AM
I don't know anything about the first question. Sorry.

About the second question, that's also very hard to answer. Doesn't it depend on who you are, what your play style is, and who your opponent is and their play style? There's no definite answer. For example, even a serve and volleyer may want a slower court if his opponent is an even better serve and volleyer.

origmarm
05-18-2009, 03:50 AM
What kind of grass was used in Wimby pre-2001 and now?

I believe it used to be 70% rye grass and 30% fescue grass. It's now 100% rye grass. My understanding is that this was done for durability reasons and to allow them to change the soil mix to make the surface drier and firmer.

With the roof now,things are gonna be more different i assume.

Indeed I would have thought so however I understand that the time it takes to close the roof is also due to the need to generate the correct atmosphere inside the court i.e. there is a climate control system that needs to run. My feeling is that it will likely play the same with/without the roof.

baseliner
05-18-2009, 03:53 AM
To slow down a hard court, you need to add sand to the mix. (Obviously this is done in the construction phase)..

charliefedererer
05-18-2009, 09:33 AM
To slow down a hard court, you need to add sand to the mix. (Obviously this is done in the construction phase)..

Conversely, you can speed up a hard court by applying a slick paint surface.