PDA

View Full Version : The keys to Fed's win was..

theprophe
05-18-2009, 04:53 AM
1.His 1st serve was working.. He took control of the point and didn't let Nadal get the upper hand.

2.He played within himself.. He always tried to hit Nadal off the court, In the finals, he wasn't going for as many winners early in the rally.

3.Greatly improved movement. Not sure why, but he seemed to move alot better,which brings us to the 4th point

4. Running around his backhand. On the second serve sometime he ran around and hit the big forehand (you dont have to do it alot, just enough for the server to realize you can do it on any 2nd serve.. Also on the backhand to backhand rally's he waited for the soft Nadal shot and ran around and took control of the point with a forehand.

5.Variety. He played a little bit of everything, which he can since he's Fed. It really seemed like Nadal didn't know where fed was going to hit alot of the times

6. No mental letdown ,not sure why,maybe he's working on it, maybe he felt really comfortable the way he was playing

henryshli
05-18-2009, 05:27 AM
I think Fed got a little lucky.

I don't think he played that much better than when he played against Nadal in the past.

2/2 break point conversion to me is a little lucky.

DarthFed
05-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Damn can he get some credit?

OP i agree with the movement looking better, and pouncing on second serves instead of dumping them into the net like were used to

Better yet..he beat one of the top 4 in straights..no second set meltdown

ChanceEncounter
05-18-2009, 05:56 AM
2/2 break point conversion to me is a little lucky.

No, that just means he converted on the first 2 breakpoints he faced.

If he didn't convert on those breakpoints, he's likely to see more breakpoints. Then it may be 2/6 or whatever on break points. If you go up 0-40, 15-40, you want to win the game as soon as possible, and not give the server a chance to get back into the game.

Dilettante
05-18-2009, 05:57 AM
I'd say the key was the pacing, not allowing Nadal to get into his usual game.

mikeler
05-18-2009, 05:59 AM
I think item #4 is something that Fed did very well. Surprisingly, Nadal was not running around his backhand as much as usual.

larry10s
05-18-2009, 06:02 AM
to me thekeys to the match. nadal alittle off. poor service returns no oh my god shots. fed played more aggressive more variety and MOST important didnt choke when he had the chance in the 2 set to end the match.this will be HUGE for roland garros. imho

fedtastic
05-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I beg to disagree with the OP. The real key to federer success was this

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/56/fullj.6f97ad1b0c41257d7c88e1ac472431c4/6f97ad1b0c41257d7c88e1ac472431c4-getty-86044121cb026_madrid_tennis.jpg

sureshs
05-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Is that Hillary Swank?

Bud
05-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Is that Hillary Swank?

It looks like her but I'm guessing it's some Spanish model chic :)

tennisdad65
05-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd hate it when I buy a car and they give me a huge key like that. Its ok to open the door with it. But, put it in the ignition and it gets in the way while driving. :)

charliefedererer
05-18-2009, 08:44 AM
The keys to Fed's win was..
1.His 1st serve was working.. He took control of the point and didn't let Nadal get the upper hand.

2.He played within himself.. He always tried to hit Nadal off the court, In the finals, he wasn't going for as many winners early in the rally.

3.Greatly improved movement. Not sure why, but he seemed to move alot better,which brings us to the 4th point

4. Running around his backhand. On the second serve sometime he ran around and hit the big forehand (you dont have to do it alot, just enough for the server to realize you can do it on any 2nd serve.. Also on the backhand to backhand rally's he waited for the soft Nadal shot and ran around and took control of the point with a forehand.

5.Variety. He played a little bit of everything, which he can since he's Fed. It really seemed like Nadal didn't know where fed was going to hit alot of the times

6. No mental letdown ,not sure why,maybe he's working on it, maybe he felt really comfortable the way he was playing

I agree with all of the above.
But the overall theme of play was to keep the points short by exhibiting controlled agression. He never let Nadal go on a run where Rafa was winning points after long exchanges. This also kept the Spanish crowd from helping to pump Rafa up.
In high risk/high reward tennis, it's often better to lose a point going for a winner, than allowing your opponent get into a groove.

fedtastic
05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Is that Hillary Swank?

Yep it is her. Federer is banging her behind Mirka's back. She is now Federer's mistress. Not a bad choice is it?

FuriousYellow
05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
It looks like her but I'm guessing it's some Spanish model chic :)

It was her. They announced her name.

sureshs
05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
^^^ He does seem to be pointing towards her in an aggressive way.

Blade0324
05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I have to agree with the person that said he got a bit lucky. He hit many balls on lines at critical times in rallies that completely changed the outcome of those rallies and they were on big points too. Be sure that Nadal won't be surprised by anything Fed has to offer at the FO and Fed will be lucky to make the final IMO.

LeftySpin
05-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree, even if Nadal was not tired Federer would've still had a very good chance with the way he was playing. He looked a lot like the old Federer.

veroniquem
05-18-2009, 08:52 AM

7- Nadal being flat and lacking energy. Doesn't take away from the rest of course but was a key to the outcome of the match as well.

quest01
05-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Its nice to see Federer win when they were both at 100% and not just that he made it look so easy. I've never seen Nadal lose so convincingly on clay, they were both at 100% but Federer completely outplayed him. Nadal should be worried about defending his French Open title if he can't find a way to defeat Federer. Federer's key to success was his serve and forehand.

FuriousYellow
05-18-2009, 08:57 AM
^Yeah, he did hit quite a few lines in this match, but it all came as a result of getting better depth and more aggressive angles on his shots. He did a great job of keeping Nadal pinned well behind the baseline with these shots for most the match. If Nadal's legs were a little weary from all the matches he's played this clay court season, this was a good strategy.

I haven't seen Federer serve that well for an entire match in a long time. It was good to see and I hope he can keep it going into RG.

LeftySpin
05-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Its nice to see Federer win when they were both at 100% and not just that he made it look so easy. I've never seen Nadal lose so convincingly on clay, they were both at 100% but Federer completely outplayed him. Nadal should be worried about defending his French Open title if he can't find a way to defeat Federer. Federer's key to success was his serve and forehand.

I dunno if Nadal was at 100% but Federer definitely played very well

wangs78
05-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Yesterday, Federer basically did the things that he normally does against lesser foes. He hit lines, he served well, he converted break points, he fought off break points. Basically he played well overall and played the important points very well. Was it luck? Maybe a little, but you have to have ability in order to do so many things well in a given match. Probelm with Fed is when he faces Nadal he usually can't even do half of the things I mentioned that he did yesterday. The key to that elusive FO is that he gains confidence from yesterday and doesn't suffer mental lapses during the FO the way he has in many big matches lately. Federer even said after the match yesterday that he believes Nadal will be fine and in usual intimidating form come Roland Garros. I think he knows Nadal didn't play very well yesterday and this actually is a good mindset for Fed to have - to acknowledge that he will likely (if he makes the final at RG) be facing a tougher Nadal at the FO. I feel like with yesterday's match he really didn't expect to win (except maybe bc Nadal played 4 hours the day before) and therefore played without the type of pressure and disappointment that he usually exhibits once Nadal goes up a break or a set, etc. He really played smart tactically and didn't let the pressure/emotions get to him. I think he has less pressure now than he has in past years so think he actually has a realistic chance to win the FO this year. And if he wins, he will have earned it no matter what, even if he doesn't have to go through Djokovic or if Nadal isn't at 100%. Fed has been an RG finalist for 3-4 straight years and he's the only one to beat Nadal in a clay final in ages so he is with no question the 2nd best clay player out there over the last several years and IMO, even now in this moment. They key for him is to play, esp. against his key rivals, without pressure bc I think it's clear to most of us he is the most talented player (perhaps in history) and while he is now not as athletic as his younger rivals he still has the game to beat them convincingly.

wangs78
05-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Also, the thing Fed did yesterday was he continued hitting to Nadal's backhand. The backhand to backhand exchanges were very fun to watch because basically both players would wind up hitting down the line shots on the same sideline. Until Fed would step around and hit the FH. Not sure if that strategy would work again at RG, but it very well may!

127mph
05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
i also noticed he used a flatter slice backhand that didnt sit up for nadal to crush. i think this is what you need to do when nadal attacks your backhand.