PDA

View Full Version : USTA SW Jr Tennis

10isDad
05-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Hopefully the thread will stay relatively untainted by rude comments and be a repository for the Southwest section's junior tennis scene.

Manfred - a fair number of late sign-ups for the Sweet 16 should make it a good event. The 18s has most of the big guns in the mix, and a good event should ensue.

It'll be interesting to see who gets in and who doesn't. Carlos should get into the draw based on his 16s ranking. James appears to be on the cusp. If James gets in, based on the rankings as they are today, it'd push a deserving player (McDaniels) out of the draw. Chalmers isn't signed up, but they've been known to sign up via phone and/or snail mail. If he did enter the draw, it could push Salvatore out.

Still only 9 players signed up for the boys 18s for the Closed. It's still early, and my guess is it'll eventually fill up, but people sure aren't clamoring to sign up early.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
05-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Yes it will be interesting which of the top B18s gets "stabbed" to make room for younger players. Bermudez as an admitted "given" because of his abilities and B18 record, inargueable- The "800 pound gorilla in the room" (in more ways than one).
But how many more younger players is up in the air. You would figure they would want to do well in their own age group- But who knows who is making those decisions for them.

Predicting the BUBBLE is always good sport- But I feel bad- No one should be just "outside"......
The worst case scenario would be pushing a B18 (in the top 16) out . I doubt SWUSTA selection committee is that slow, and there has always been enough room that should not happen- Now, B18s ranked #20 or so? Exciting cutoff arguements to be made. Tucson an easier destination for most to make it to (Vs. ALBQ.)

The sign ups for ALBQ. is not a good indication (so far) I still bet they don't fill the B18s card (32 players), with no out of district players allowed, and the B16s who normally poke their head in, in this case, wanting the 16s national points.

10isDad
05-18-2009, 07:12 AM
^^^Montoya, Lineberry are all in the top 16 in the 18s, so even though they're eligible for 16s points, they're not really pushing anybody out. Saleem's ranking is high enough to get in because of players like Delafuente and Cooper not applying. Bermudez's 18s ranking isn't high enough and his 18s record doesn't matter. however, the fact that he's top 3 will get him in.

The only other younger guy is Carr. He's ranked #6 in the 16s. They usually only take 2 players from the younger division. It used to be they had to be top 5 in the younger age group, but they now have a lot of leeway. Hopefully they'll look at some head-to-head stuff.

Daycrawler
05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
From what I've heard. The Sedona tournament will have some old players in it. Apparently want to play on some clay before going off to college.

10isDad
05-18-2009, 09:04 AM
^^^If you're talking about the Sedona Jr. Open, there's a contingent of SW players that have attended Larry's camp for several years. Camp attendees get automatic entry into the tournament. The constants at the camp have been Lineberry (duh), Hyman, Chalmers, Salvatore & Spizman + some local Sedona/Flagstaff residents. Many other players have attended the camp at some time or another, but not every year, including Currell, Paulson, Mayer, Tehrani, Bal, Ge. A few other players generally make it up for the tournament but not the camp, such as Sehorn, Shapiro, Laurel, etc.

The camp isn't cheap, so it'll be interesting to see who is willing to fork over several hundred dollars. While it's a decent camp, it's still a camp. That means relatively little one-on-one time, generally lots of drills and point play that these kids normally get at their usual place of learning (at significantly less cost). It ends up being a good way for guys who don't normally train together to spend a solid week working out with each other 5 to 6 hours per day. The instructors are generally good: Larry and Greg Prudhomme this year and last.

Daycrawler
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
^^^If you're talking about the Sedona Jr. Open, there's a contingent of SW players that have attended Larry's camp for several years. Camp attendees get automatic entry into the tournament. The constants at the camp have been Lineberry (duh), Hyman, Chalmers, Salvatore & Spizman + some local Sedona/Flagstaff residents. Many other players have attended the camp at some time or another, but not every year, including Currell, Paulson, Mayer, Tehrani, Bal, Ge. A few other players generally make it up for the tournament but not the camp, such as Sehorn, Shapiro, Laurel, etc.

The camp isn't cheap, so it'll be interesting to see who is willing to fork over several hundred dollars. While it's a decent camp, it's still a camp. That means relatively little one-on-one time, generally lots of drills and point play that these kids normally get at their usual place of learning (at significantly less cost). It ends up being a good way for guys who don't normally train together to spend a solid week working out with each other 5 to 6 hours per day. The instructors are generally good: Larry and Greg Prudhomme this year and last.
Yes sir, This is the tournament I was saying. Sedona is also beautiful that time of year..

05-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Good experience to learn to get along with others for an extended time- Learn more about other players, or just go up for the tournament, and enjoy Sedona.

05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Whats the story on the SW- and - USTA tournament system?

It must have "Frozen"/"Jammed" yesterday-
Randolph can't post this weekends matches
and

Racquet Club can't post selected players for Sweet 16....
In this case, it looks like they were at "B"s and the system broke down-

I guess we all standby and hope/watch for system to come back up

10isDad
05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
^^^Dunno - I find it interesting they list Barrios as a "Competitor", when based upon his ranking, he likely won't get in (unless they do 2 flights).

05-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Doesn't say "may be flighted"

When have they had flighted Sweet Sixteens? Esp. when there is only one location for tournament? Wasn't that the point and set up of the "Sweet Sixteen"? Why call it that instead of Sweet 32 then?

This may be a typo, but typo an entire name?
A long shot may be that this is a stinging status report on B18s participation, (unless you have access to other information or the names run).

10isDad
05-19-2009, 07:54 AM
13 of the top 16 applied + another 13 applicants. As for flighted Sweet 16s, there have been some. The most recent I remember was the 2008 Tanoan, which had J Matthews upsetting A Cooper in the boys 18s. There were 2 flights for both 16s and 18s. The 2nd flight had fewer points and it didn't count for national rankings.

10isDad
05-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Unrelated to the above but relevant to some other comments you've made, Manfred: both Dunn and Nguyen are signed up for the SW Closed. My guess is it'll be the last SW tournament they play. I wouldn't doubt if they' played the USTA National in Denver (they did last year with Nguyen winning it). I know they're planning on playing Kalamazoo.

05-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Now where did you find the information about "13 of the top 16 applying" on any available source? I mean, where on earth could any member of the SWUSTA pull up that kind of information?

The news where the two are going to split the finals of the SW tournament between them one last time is not too hard to figure; But the part about who has signed up for the Sweet 16s, now that I can't see on any site (not even now, since it's frozen up).

10isDad
05-19-2009, 09:08 AM
The tournament website: click on Applicants and apply the B18s filter.

05-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for reminding me again...
Pretty exciting couple tournaments coming up all right.

sliderman365
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
^^^Montoya, Lineberry are all in the top 16 in the 18s, so even though they're eligible for 16s points, they're not really pushing anybody out. Saleem's ranking is high enough to get in because of players like Delafuente and Cooper not applying. Bermudez's 18s ranking isn't high enough and his 18s record doesn't matter. however, the fact that he's top 3 will get him in.

The only other younger guy is Carr. He's ranked #6 in the 16s. They usually only take 2 players from the younger division. It used to be they had to be top 5 in the younger age group, but they now have a lot of leeway. Hopefully they'll look at some head-to-head stuff.

carr sign up for 16s i think he must have sign up for the wrong age group.

10isDad
05-21-2009, 03:06 AM
He signed up for 18s but told the director if he didn't qualify for 18s, to put him in 16s. Happens fairly frequently.

05-21-2009, 06:27 AM
If that's the case, it's good the Director took immediate action and advised so he switch back and enter.... The Top 16 in Boys 18s really packed the spots this time.
Frankly, if I was in that position, I might of saved my money for ALBQ- Not much more to prove in B16s unless the points for endorsements that close.

himynameisNIKE
05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
i dont understand why i am not seeded in this sweet sixteen i am ranked ahead of Gregory Anderson and he is the 4 seed. Now i am going to have a horrible draw

05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
It's hard to accept, but everything draws and seeds tend to "even out" in the long run.... You will end up getting some outstanding draws, too, when you really need one.

himynameisNIKE
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
yeah but this is right before the closed so it could have a major effect on that

Daycrawler
05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
@himynameisnike
Good. You're young. It's the point of tournaments to get match play to improve. Stop focusing on draws, wins/losses and go out and play. You'll improve ten fold if you stop worrying about seedings, win/lose, who beat who and just focus on playing tennis. If you're able to do that, able to play tournaments for the sole purpose of improving then you will get so much better. Focus on the sole purpose of improving, don't get caught up in the name game or who has more points. You'll be better for it in the end,

himynameisNIKE
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
aight thanks guys

i just want to know why i am not seeded not so worried about my draw now its just weird how i am 3 spots higher than him and he is seeded above me

05-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree, at the age your are talking about right now... Try and just play and enjoy doing your best-

There are some University guys that I know who are good teamates and all, but win or lose they just don't get too emotional about it afterward- Intense during the match with the fist pumps or the "lets go" and all; But after, they just go back to being "normal" - relaxed- Like a job.

Frankly, you are correct in your suspicions- The SWUSTA plays favorites, and he is the current poster boy;
They do not penalize players equally, and frankly allow players to continue to play when they should be suspended.

ALBQ and El Paso both have this great BBQ place- Rudy's country store and BBQ
The one in El Paso is along the freeway as you are coming in- The Rudy's in ALBQ
is north on the freeway (40)- Like north from the Jerry Cline tennis center (the one that looks like Gitmo- with all the boxed in fencing).

The place gets busy at times, and pricey (because you can't stop buying everything on the menu).

10isDad
05-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Is there really such a thing as a "good draw" in the Sweet 16? Rarely are there easy matches. Certainly drawing the 1 or 2 seed is rarely fun especially since good points can only be attained when moving due east.

I have lobbied w/ Larry and Eric about giving more points to the other directions. Most of the participants only get points for this tournament due to significant win points, not actual match wins. I know several people that have gone 2 & 2 and have gotten zero points.

I would ask other people to appeal to the junior competitive committee about this same topic. Maybe it'll be changed someday.

05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
TDad... Glad you could make it today-

I was thinking yesterday afternoon about how the Sweet 16 W-L works
Am I looking (statisically right) at this?

1 guy goes 4-0, 1 guy goes 0-4
1 guy goes 3-1, 1 guy goes 1-3
the rest are 2-2 in some variation...

And if you don't take your first match (like drawing #1 seed) and you go..
L-W-L-W or L-W-W-L you are pretty much hosed, is what you are saying?

There is way too much placed on that 1st win.

10isDad
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Actually:

4-0 = 1 (WWWW)
3-1 = 4 (WWWL, WWLW, WLWW, LWWW)
2-2 = 6 (WWLL, WLWL, WLLW, LLWW, LWLW, LWWL)
1-3 = 4 (WLLL, LWLL, LLWL, LLLW)
0-4 = 1 (LLLL)

All non-east matches are 100 points per round. So some 2-2 players get 200 points + significant win points while others get 300 (winning the first round is worth an extra 100 points). The guy who goes 2-2 but wins 2 east matches gets 420 points.

So same record - much different point scheme. Even more of a shame, take Lineberry. At the last Sweet 16, he won the west, therefore went 3-1. He got 300 points + significant win points. Patrick Taylor went 2 & 2 but got 420 points + significant win points.

10isDad
05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
The point distribution is below:

WWWW 660

WWWL 540
WWLW 480
WLWW 400
LWWW 300

WWLL 420
WLWL 300
WLLW 300
LLWW 200
LWLW 200
LWWL 200

WLLL 200
LWLL 100
LLWL 100
LLLW 100

LLLL 0

05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm sure everyone appreciates you knocking out the stats, and the detailed work.... (At least I knew there would be one 4-0 and one 0-4). And of course, chart does not take signifcant points in.

It looks pretty clear that a first "W" means almost more anytime than even a first "L" then winning out- Drawing a seed just isn't good.

In this B18s- out of 16 players, 8 will make out; But 4 of those are seeds and heavy favorites to take the first top four spots

Looks like a good time to copy your last two entries and everyone tape 'em to their mirrors.

10isDad
05-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Here at Quiksilver/Roxy. Another poor outing for the Southwest. Only a handful of SW players at a national event only 4-6 hours from the 2 big SW cities.

3 players in the 18s - 4 if you count H Driver, though she no longer trains in the SW- all lost 1st round. 2 drew seeds, however. In the 16s, only E Medlin won a main draw match. The only SW kids really producing are the Hedderig boys, both of whom have won two matches with relative ease. (Don't know about 12s - I didn't look to see if anybody was playing).

The 18s site is brutal. About 100 degrees but because of the proximity to a golf course and pools, the humidity is significantly higher than Phoenix/Tucson.

05-24-2009, 12:51 PM
I knew there were some really tough players from So. California that were signed up- But they were NOT publishing draws earlier than the start of the tournament.
In the Sweet 16s B18s draws looks like they split the players almost directly down the middle- It would be an upset if the first matches did not play exactly down as you would predict, like with only 1 toss up, maybe- Which will make both directions pretty tightly matched in the 2nd round.

sliderman365
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah sweet 16 going to be some good matches on the first day i really want to watch nick and andy play second round and haffor and dom and dunn and carlos good matches.................

05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Looking at the latest version SWUSTA.... When I said someone was the new favorite and "poster child" I didn't think it would be taken to heart :)

Also looked at SW Open article, where it said @ "300 players" attended last year; I'm afraid its not going to hit that number for ALBQ unless @ 150 MORE sign up in the next 4 days. It may be the economy- Getting back and forth to ALBQ, unless 1/2 the number always wait until the last minute to sign up?
We have to wait and see if the decision to move the tournament was just bad timing with the downturn in participation.

I think in these times, unfortunenately, to keep a larger group participating, (maybe) there should be fewer tournaments outside Phoenix- I know it's a terrible option to isolate other towns, but if fewer show, what's the advantage of not being flexible, changing with the flow?

10isDad
05-29-2009, 05:26 AM
^^^Seems like they should be showing the photo of somebody who's actually performing well on the national level: M. Clarke just won the Roxy for her age group...why not show her?; A Lawson & Jake Hedderig are the others that come to mind.

10isDad
05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
yeah sweet 16 going to be some good matches on the first day i really want to watch nick and andy play second round and haffor and dom and dunn and carlos good matches.................

Andy and Nick - Personally I don't think it'll be that close. Andy hits the ball too flat and too deep. Nick's normal play is to grind it out so the other player makes the error. Certainly nothing wrong with that and he's very, very good at it - especially since he's probably the fastest guy in the SW. But, Andy doesn't make that many errors. He hits it flat and deep. I see Nick pushed back near the fence in this one.

As for Haffor and Dom, are you looking at the draw? They're on opposite halves. If they play, they wouldn't play until the 3rd or 4th match. Frankly, I don't see it happening. While Haffor's darned good, Urquidi's got to be the favorite. As for Dom, he has to get by Lorenz - it's a tall order, but Dom's going to be the favorite in that matchup.

I would love to see Carlos play Andy. I think it'd be an interesting match-up, much more so than the Carlos v Garret match that looks fairly inevitable. Frankly, if both players keep their serves to the other's backhand the majority of the time, it could be a dull match. Bermudez has wicked spin and Garret won't hurt him off the backhand wing. On the other hand, Carlos has never been a consistent returner from the BH side. If they serve appropriately, there will likely be more missed returns than there will be rallies.

My eastward 2nd round predictions:

Nguyen over Montoya
Urquidi over Saleem
Lineberry over D Bermudez
Dunn over C Bermudez

East 3rd round:

Nguyen over Urquidi
Dunn over Lineberry

East finals:
Nguyen over Dunn

05-29-2009, 06:09 AM
The draw falls sharp like a tailor's crease in the first round- No real "pick 'ems"
EXCEPT I have Stockton over Lineberry, and an Urquidi upset.
If not that, then Lineberry V. Haffor rematch from last weekend (for the West).

You have Dunn over Lineberry which is a neat trick when there are both "Bs" between that match up happening...
But you have studied Dunn/Carlos match up much more closely- And you have been hitting your picks (too bad it isn't a football card).

Dominic is kind of interesting because he may not be up to his "historical" watermark anymore, This weekend may help answer that- He could end up with some tough matches in the Closed, depending on the draw.

I'll go with the PV "Bs", only because I want to see the ironic outcome of having to send them to represent the SW this summer.

sliderman365
05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
what about the 16s any upsets you think? or good matches?

05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I like T. Cooper to be seen around the finish, I don't think he is getting enough credit... Maybe he has had other priorities lately.

scraps234
05-29-2009, 11:30 AM
i thinkwe will see dom bermuzez over lineberry...

05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I think you are looking past Taylor Stockton a bit; Check his record... he is a hot/cold type- but he hasn't been "cold" for quite a while. And I'll go one further, should he match up against Dominic, I'll take Stockton there, too.

10isDad
05-29-2009, 01:15 PM
You're correct about Stockton. I like Lineberry over Stockton only because it seems Lineberry's been doing more tourney's. As for if Lineberry meets D Bermudez, the last time they played was in state with Lineberry winning the 1st 6-1 & not finishing because Palo Verde had already won. I also like Stockton over D Bermudez if they meet.

05-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Picking up more entries to the SW event in ALBQ..... I think it's sitting at 23
(B18s).
Having a "full" card- 32 entries would go a long way toward not sitting around a lot Saturday thru Tuesday; Otherwise it will come down to @ 1 single and 1 double a day.

scraps234
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
You're correct about Stockton. I like Lineberry over Stockton only because it seems Lineberry's been doing more tourney's. As for if Lineberry meets D Bermudez, the last time they played was in state with Lineberry winning the 1st 6-1 & not finishing because Palo Verde had already won. I also like Stockton over D Bermudez if they meet.

ok thanks... thats interesting...lineberry sure has improved if he beat dom 6-1

scraps234
05-30-2009, 04:09 PM
i guess bermudez beat stockton...6-1 6-2...also stockton beat lineberry 6-2 7-6

Daycrawler
05-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I think Andy would beat C-Dom rather easily. Last time I saw C-Dom play his footwork and footspeed weren't that impressive so I can see Andy's deep, flat balls into the corners giving C-Dom quite a bit of trouble.
Granted, last time I saw him play was quite a few months ago so I don't know if any of that has changed.

scraps234
05-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I think Andy would beat C-Dom rather easily. Last time I saw C-Dom play his footwork and footspeed weren't that impressive so I can see Andy's deep, flat balls into the corners giving C-Dom quite a bit of trouble.
Granted, last time I saw him play was quite a few months ago so I don't know if any of that has changed.
i think i agree aswell... andy over dom or carlos... however i dont think they would go down w/o a fight so they will have 2 tight sets or split...

scraps234
05-31-2009, 12:26 PM
well looks like garret beat carlos but lost to dom 6-3 6-3... now its a dom bermudez, andy final

10isDad
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Dominic played great this tournament. He switched to a new racquet: using the yellow Babolat. Hitting with much more power and depth. Definitely deserved to win.

Yesterday, Montoya had Nguyen on the ropes. Montoya receiving up 5-2 and loses 5 straight. My guess: he realized that he was about to beat the #1 guy and choked. Mentally, he was probably down today, which likely contributed to his 3 & 1 loss against Saleem.

The match of the day, in terms of score, was boring yet exciting at the same time. Garret Dunn v. Carlos Bermudez. It was tremendously dull: like watching Sampras against Ivanesevic on grass in the 90's. Very few points lasted longer than 3 shots. In the end, even though Dunn won the match, Bermudez showed he has more game. I kid you not, Dunn literally only won 3 points the entire match from the backcourt. Either Dunn or Carlos hit an ace, had a missed return, volley winner or a passing shot. When Bermudez got Dunn's serve back, he usually won the point - often with a blazing return winner. Carlos's serve has to be 10 to 15 mph faster than Garret's. Garret was smart and served mainly to the weaker backhand return side of Bermudez. There had to be close to 40 aces total between the two players.

scraps234
06-01-2009, 06:59 AM
dang that was crzy for dom! he beat andy 7-6 6-2 i think

scraps234
06-02-2009, 06:43 AM
10isdad,

do you have any pics from tucson sweet 16 and will you be taking pics at the sw jr closed?

10isDad
06-02-2009, 08:26 AM
No to Sweet 16 / maybe for the closed.

scraps234
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
ok cool thanks for the info

sliderman365
06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

dude you dont even know what your talking about-josh brown

10isDad
06-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Hopefully the thread will stay relatively untainted by rude comments and be a repository for the Southwest section's junior tennis scene.

The above is from the very first post. Quit being the guy who ruins it for everybody else. You're the major reason the last AZ thread was deleted. If you don't have something relevant to say, the keep quiet.

Daycrawler
06-03-2009, 10:49 PM
dude you dont even know what your talking about-josh brown
I stand by my comment that Andy would beat Carlos.
I don't know what was so offense by my last comment that made you feel the need to comment. Your post has no relevance to this thread. If you have a personal issue with me then come say it to me, don't be posting it on here ruining this thread. Maturity should've happened by now but I see now that it hasn't. Well, I think that the SW closed should be interesting and congrats to those who did well in the sweet 16.

trickyplay
06-04-2009, 05:24 PM
This is sort of off topic, but I was wondering...is Jake Spizman getting a haircut anytime soon. I was looking at your photobucket pics and he seems to be getting shaggy.

10isDad
06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
He says he's going for "the Poseidon look"...

trickyplay
06-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Ahaha, that's great.

06-05-2009, 12:14 PM
What does it have to do with Shelly Winters ?

10isDad
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
^^^Much too old a reference for the junior crowd.

scraps234
06-06-2009, 06:10 AM
draws are up for the sw closed!!! http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=74815&E=2 for boys 16s btw

Daycrawler
06-06-2009, 10:02 PM
draws are up for the sw closed!!! http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=74815&E=2 for boys 16s btw
Number 22 looks familiar....

scraps234
06-07-2009, 05:04 AM
o yeah i thought he moved to cali...?

sliderman365
06-07-2009, 06:52 PM
o yeah i thought he moved to cali...?

he's back but some inj have been holding him back i want to see that match nolan and jacob from last years final

10isDad
06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
he's back but some inj have been holding him back i want to see that match nolan and jacob from last years final

Do you happen to know if he's healthy again? If so, he's definitely a threat in this tournament. He was always a very tough competitor. If he is/can get healthy, once he has size he has some of the best potential in the SW.

06-08-2009, 08:00 AM
A lot of posts seem to tend to "run down" the training and advise given by the tennis site he was attending.

The issue is exactly, size.

Someone run over to his house and find out before Saturday.
Thanks

sliderman365
06-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Do you happen to know if he's healthy again? If so, he's definitely a threat in this tournament. He was always a very tough competitor. If he is/can get healthy, once he has size he has some of the best potential in the SW.

idk i havent seen him in like 3 months and he hasent played a tourament since jan so idk its going to be a surprise 10isdad are you going to take some pic's

10isDad
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Planning on it, but likely only at Tanoan which, I think, is mostly 18s.

06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Just looking at that SWUSTA article about the $6(k) scholarships awarded to three Arizona residents- As part of "USTA Serves"

"USTA Serves awards scholarships to deserving youth who have participated in USTA and other organized youth tennis programs, have demonstrated high academic achievement"

I had never heard or read anything about these recent graduates at any tournaments or such, and they are not listed in SWUSTA or National USTA rankings at all; If they "participated" they have to be as poor a players as they are good at school.

When you see all the books about "Scoring your entire higher education costs by applying for arcane scholarships", remember this lesson well.

10isDad
06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
"USTA Serves awards scholarships to deserving youth who have participated in USTA and other organized youth tennis programs, have demonstrated high academic achievement"

*Must exhibit strong involvement in extra-curricular activities, course work, and community service
*Must exhibit financial need
*Actively involved in an organized community tennis program such as USTA School Tennis, NJTL, USTA Team Tennis, etc.

These qualifications make it very evident that the involvement only need be an organized community program.

"Must have a State or Sectional ranking" is NOT checked as a qualification. These scholarships are more for those kids that are financially strapped, good students and still active in some sort of tennis activity. It's sad to say, but if a kid has a high ranking, it probably means their family does not "exhibit financial need".

06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
So, you ever heard of them, ever?
I'm not talking about "high ranked" I'm just talking played- It would seem that anyone who has played in the USTA in any measure, even 1 tournament, would have a SWUSTA/USTA ranking.

Thats all fine, in some manner they participated in a USTA- sponsored/ organized community program...
When they ever had the time is beyond me.

10isDad
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Nguyen beat Carlos in 3. Dunn beat Dominic in three.

06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for that immediate score.
Who would have ever thought it would be those 4 in the finals?

All eyes turn to the 16s to see what comes this way...

10isDad
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Montoya beat Tehrani in straights. Lawson beat Bauer in straights. Don't know scores of those.

10isDad
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Honestly, after watching nearly the entire Nguyen-Bermudez match, if Bermudez made just a few more returns, he would have (should have) won. His game is so much bigger than Nguyen's and that's saying a lot. His biggest weakness continues to be return of serve - mainly because he tries to tear the cover off every return instead of just making the other kid play.

scraps234
06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
10isdad- have you uploaded the pics from the sw closed?

10isDad
06-16-2009, 08:35 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0040.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0050.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0055.jpg

10isDad
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0103.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0104.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0111.jpg

10isDad
06-16-2009, 08:38 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0097.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0115.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0131.jpg

10isDad
06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0135.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0138.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0146.jpg

06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Stockton losing to McDaniels was a suprise.
Still weighing what Lawson over Bauer means for the future, Bauer seemed to be steam rolling thru the first few matches.

10isDad
06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0150.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0156.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_SW_Closed/DSC_0175.jpg

06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Looks like "Pirate day" at the tournament.

10isDad
06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Just got a few updates via some players/parents:

Nguyen over Dunn 3 & 2

Montoya over Lawson 4 in the 3rd

McDaniels beat Lineberry and plays Urquidi, who beat Hyman for the consolation finals of the 18s

Kelsey Lawson beat Haley Driver 3 & 1 for the girl's 18's championships. That's all I know...

06-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Man, That McDaniels...
Remember I had said "Don't underestimate him" previously?

Lineberry, Laurel kind of hitting rough patch- Stockton result was a suprise....
Now that the B18 team is settled-
Where is the next tournament that might have a good showing? Can't wait all summer.

10isDad
06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
^^^He's basically just steady. He moves well and doesn't miss. However, other than moving well for a tall buy, he's basically weaponless. Most of the SW guys don't have a big enough game to blow him off the courts and don't have a developed enough net game to attack him. Those that do destroy him (example: Nguyen's 45 minute (including warm-up) 6-0, 6-1 dismantling of him in round 2).

On a national level, against those SoCal, Texas, Florida and Eastern guys that have developed weapons, he'd do very poorly....just my opinion and don't mean to offend anybody.

06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
He plunked a thousand points on his scorecard this weekend and looks like he's #8 endorsements, thats for sure.

That last part, about the national level, sounds just like a description of every SW team and virtually every player that gets sent out into the woods in the summer.

If the SWUSTA wasn't paying most the freight to be able to also play in Kalamazoo, if that wasn't tied to the trip, I would like the team's chances even less so.

riponeverything
06-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Should be interesting to see how our juniors do in the national events approaching this summer such as Texas Open, Florida Open, national opens, clays and hard courts. Who do you guys think has the best chance to do well? Montoya should go far in clays. Are Dunn/Nguyen defending their titles in CO?

10isDad
06-20-2009, 05:01 AM
^^^Spoken to both and they're basically doing Kalamazoo, the National Team Championships and that's it. AN will be at Harvard over the summer doing the camp (he's worked there over the past couple years). GD said the only other tourney he may do is the ITAs.

scraps234
07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
hey any tournaments coming up that you guys might be going to?

scraps234
07-12-2009, 06:46 PM
like anyone playing zonals??? or going to any other tournaments... i think i saw another tourny in sedona... 10isdad will u be going and taking pics at any of these events...??? is anyone else playing as well?

SoCal10s
07-12-2009, 09:25 PM
You guys can check out some of your kids now.. they are in the National Intersectional tournament in Shreveport, LA.. it looks like SW just got killed by Southern ... Southwest lost every match..

10isDad
07-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Not surprising. The SW comprises basically 4 cities Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque and El Paso. The Southern section has probably 10 times more players. They would be expected to be be stronger have far more depth.

The 16s for the southwest are hardly among the tops in the country. Only one is in the top 100 and his ranking is probably falsely elevated because the majority of his national points come from sectional events that count for national points*. He rarely travels to national events.

*rumor has it, this will not be the case for much longer, meaning sectional closed events will probably no longer count for national points come next year.

SoCalDominates
07-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Not surprising. The SW comprises basically 4 cities Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque and El Paso. The Southern section has probably 10 times more players. They would be expected to be be stronger have far more depth.

The 16s for the southwest are hardly among the tops in the country. Only one is in the top 100 and his ranking is probably falsely elevated because the majority of his national points come from sectional events that count for national points*. He rarely travels to national events.

*rumor has it, this will not be the case for much longer, meaning sectional closed events will probably no longer count for national points come next year.
WOW I want to personally Thank you for being one of the few people in the country who are not delusional about their section. Thank you so much!! Most people would not admit that their section has trouble at a national level but thank you for seeing it how it is. However, I must say, I've seen some guys from Southwest play and they aren't bad. I played Nicholas Montoya a couple years back and he was solid even on a national level.

BTW what happened to Carlos Bermudez out of curiosity? Rumor has it he got suspended?

10isDad
07-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Montoya didn't play singles against Southern. Tactical error, in my opinion.

CB: since coming off a long suspension, he's played exclusively 18s in the SW and didn't qualify for either intersectionals or Jr Davis Cup. I haven't heard anything about him being resuspended. He was nursing a shoulder injury, which may be why he pulled out of the Boys 16s NATS last weekend prior to the start.

He's played pretty well so far in the 18s there, winning a Sweet 16 event (that the top 2 players didn't play), coming in 3rd at the SW Closed - he lost a 3-setter to the SW's #1 player, Andy Nguyen, who's on his way to Harvard next year. His only losses since he's been back have been to Nguyen and to Garret Dunn, the SW's #2 player.

In my opinion Carlos should have won both those matches. In both cases, he played one "silly" game that cost him the match.

SoCalDominates
07-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Montoya didn't play singles against Southern. Tactical error, in my opinion.

CB: since coming off a long suspension, he's played exclusively 18s in the SW and didn't qualify for either intersectionals or Jr Davis Cup. I haven't heard anything about him being resuspended. He was nursing a shoulder injury, which may be why he pulled out of the Boys 16s NATS last weekend prior to the start.

He's played pretty well so far in the 18s there, winning a Sweet 16 event (that the top 2 players didn't play), coming in 3rd at the SW Closed - he lost a 3-setter to the SW's #1 player, Andy Nguyen, who's on his way to Harvard next year. His only losses since he's been back have been to Nguyen and to Garret Dunn, the SW's #2 player.

In my opinion Carlos should have won both those matches. In both cases, he played one "silly" game that cost him the match.

why did he get suspended? Ya I believe he was supposed to play the 16s Nats in SoCal and there was plenty of buzz from people out here waiting to see how he has been doing.

10isDad
07-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm not part of the SW USTA Jr. Competitive Committee, so don't know all the details - only rumors. Rumors are often wrong. Suffice it to say, the rumors were all behavior related, much from last year's intersectionals. That's in the past. As far as I know, he's back but may be injured. Haven't heard anything about a new suspension.

What I can tell you: I've not seen a junior yet that hits the ball harder off the ground. Since being back, he's busted 5 balls during play. His first serve has been going in (something he struggled with way back when) and it's huge - probably high 120s. His 2nd serve is still one of the nastier lefty-serves. His volleying has improved. His downfall is still: Hit it hard. If it doesn't go in, hit it harder.

10isDad
07-13-2009, 07:39 AM
BTW - he withdrew from the Southern Open citing EMERG, as did sis. Since both withdrew, I highly doubt a suspension exists.

scraps234
07-13-2009, 07:56 AM
hey 10isdad...

are you going to be taking pics at any tournaments coming up?

SoCal10s
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
why did he get suspended? Ya I believe he was supposed to play the 16s Nats in SoCal and there was plenty of buzz from people out here waiting to see how he has been doing.

CB seems like a OK kid,I can't believe he'd get suspended.. he gets crazy when he got cheated last year by Dennis N. at the clay courts.. if it was me,I would have shove a racket up DN ***** , for the way he cheats and call lines and miss call the scores and lies to the umpire about the score and cuss .. maybe CB did it and got suspended for it... haha

himynameisNIKE
07-14-2009, 08:35 AM
like anyone playing zonals??? or going to any other tournaments... i think i saw another tourny in sedona... 10isdad will u be going and taking pics at any of these events...??? is anyone else playing as well?

yeah im going to zonals

10isDad
07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Anybody want to explain how one of the better 18s kids (ZH) ends up losing to RSeby AND DKennedy? Another case of ZH tanking? No way RSeby should be beating ZH...no way in hell.

himynameisNIKE
07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody want to explain how one of the better 18s kids (ZH) ends up losing to RSeby AND DKennedy? Another case of ZH tanking? No way RSeby should be beating ZH...no way in hell.
who is RSeby???:confused:

10isDad
07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
^^^Really? #1 in 12s SW & #3 in 12s nationally. He's won 2 18s SW events in the past month. First was in Flagstaff against weaker competition. Last weekend beat Haffor & Jaruvang to win the El Con tourney in the 18s.

momtogrif
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
who is RSeby???:confused:

Robert Seby, he's 12 and comes out of Oro Valley, AZ.

himynameisNIKE
07-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Robert Seby, he's 12 and comes out of Oro Valley, AZ.

never heard of him

NotSoSuper
07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Anybody want to explain to me how Jacob Hedderig is suspended for mostly ball abuse related penalties while people like Alex Lineberry have many many more point penalties? (i heard 18)..

I have lost my faith in southwest tennis.

himynameisNIKE
07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Anybody want to explain to me how Jacob Hedderig is suspended for mostly ball abuse related penalties while people like Alex Lineberry have many many more point penalties? (i heard 18)..

I have lost my faith in southwest tennis.

thats bullsh*t yo

NotSoSuper
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
^^ Agreed.

scraps234
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM

i have no idea but i heard that it was one insane match also seby and alec played well in doubles as well... i didnt watch it though... ok anyways 10isdad, are you going to any tournaments coming up like sedona or zonals... and will u be posting pics?

scraps234
07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah im going to zonals

great yeah i saw u in 14s i think... i didnt see very many people there though... like only 4 boys,schell,silvestri,aldor,and you... is that all you know of as well

himynameisNIKE
07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
great yeah i saw u in 14s i think... i didnt see very many people there though... like only 4 boys,schell,silvestri,aldor,and you... is that all you know of as well

no they didnt make the team..

1. Ge
2. Aldor
3. hedderig
4. whightman
5. chalmers
6. e llamas

scraps234
07-15-2009, 08:20 AM
oo ok thanks... do you know about 16s as well?

NotSoSuper
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
oo ok thanks... do you know about 16s as well?

16s zonals will be very weak.. I only know 2 or 3 people that will be going.

07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Working thru injuries while trying to meet tournament commitments vs. tanking?
I think you are right that a H.S. State Champion and a player who beats # 6-12 at will should not drop a set. No reason to tank, so must be playing thru injury while keeping the SW Scottsdale fan club and point slappers at bay.

scraps234
07-15-2009, 05:32 PM
16s zonals will be very weak.. I only know 2 or 3 people that will be going. ok thanks....

himynameisNIKE
07-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Working thru injuries while trying to meet tournament commitments vs. tanking?
I think you are right that a H.S. State Champion and a player who beats # 6-12 at will should not drop a set. No reason to tank, so must be playing thru injury while keeping the SW Scottsdale fan club and point slappers at bay.

what??:confused:

07-15-2009, 08:51 PM
^ Scottsdale fan club and point slappers- SWUSTA Junior Program (slaps penalty points on players)

himynameisNIKE
07-15-2009, 09:05 PM
still not understanding what your trying to say lol

scraps234
07-16-2009, 07:25 PM
http://www.besttennistown.com/nominated_10.php

what tennis center was that that ge was hitting at...?

himynameisNIKE
07-17-2009, 07:01 PM
idk probly kiwanis

Vicious
07-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I am a High School Volunteer Coach for this program. Its amazing.

Not only have I learned so much, Learned coaching tips and more, but I got responsibility. It is good for me, and EXCELLENT for these little kids.

The kids we had started with no knowledge, became amazing. As int he other thread, I had this little girl, who was amazingly good for being like, 8-9.

After she returned my light hit easy forehand/backhand/volley, I threw her a few, light slices, etc, and she could still return it.

I am suprised.

Its so fun to see what these kids can do! They create such awesome variations on the games, etc and work hard!

scraps234
07-20-2009, 07:51 AM
idk probly kiwanis

hmm thats what i thought as well...