PDA

View Full Version : Huh?

slicekick95
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Why in the world is Fabio Fognini playing Qualifying as the 1 seed? His ranking is 62, definetely should have made the cut:confused:

gj011
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Because 6 weeks ago he was ranked 107.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/rankhistory.asp?playernumber=F510

jamesblakefan#1
05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
They should definetly change this rule. The same with the cutoff date for entry into the slams. I don't see why it can't go until the week before the slam for the cutoff date.

Fee
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
They should definetly change this rule. The same with the cutoff date for entry into the slams. I don't see why it can't go until the week before the slam for the cutoff date.

You've never discussed this with a player have you? They have no problem with the entry system, it helps them to plan (although they have discussed going to 4 weeks and 2 weeks instead of 6 and 3). For players ranked at the cutoffs of ATP events, it gives them a few weeks to decided whether to skip the tour event and play a Challenger instead (if they didn't get in). For tournaments, it gives them the ability to plan ahead and sell tickets, etc. The entry system is just fine the way it is, even if it generates 4 - 8 threads a year on this very topic. :)

If you really think about it, you'll see that yes, they need an advanced entry system.

jamesblakefan#1
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
I guess I have more of a problem with it at the slam level. Like a couple of years ago, when Frank Dancevic got hot during the HC summer, finals of Indianapolis, I think QF in Canada, and still had to play qualies of the US Open. There should be exceptions in cases like that. Not necessarily wildcards, but exceptions.