PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Nadal will NOT win the French Open this year

BreakPoint
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
This is a thread for people to list and discuss their reasons why they think Nadal will NOT win the French Open this year (2009).

Let's keep it polite and cordial. No trolling nor flaming.

Here's my #1 reason:

Because nobody, and I mean NOBODY, beats Bjorn Borg's records. Federer tried to beat Borg's record at Wimbledon, but failed. Yes, he equaled it, but he could not beat it. He could not win more than 5 consecutive Wimbledons.

Same at the French Open. Nadal has equaled Borg's record of 4 consecutive French Opens, but he will not be able to beat it. ;)

Reason #2:

Nadal is tired from his long runs at each clay court tournament leading up to the French. He couldn't even beat Federer in the Madrid final in his home country in front of his home fans. He'll run out of gas again before the French final.

Reason #3:

Federer has regained his confidence after beating Nadal in the Madrid final so will challenge Nadal at the French this year. He also has a new strategy that has proven to work against Nadal on clay.

OK, so what are YOUR reasons why Nadal will NOT win the French Open this year? :)

Docalex007
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
I also don't think he's winning it this year... but c'mon... reason #1 is just silly :)

I don't think he's in top form right now. And I think Nole and Fed have made significant advances on the Bull on clay. Can't wait!

Cesc Fabregas
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
You really have it in for Nadal and worship Federer don't you?

bruce38
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd say because other players are beginning to figure him out slowly but surely. Just like it happened with Fed. But I think he's gonna win still.

Docalex007
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Can you talk?

GameSampras
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Nadal is going to STEAMROLL every player that gets in his way after this loss against Roger. Dont be surprised if Uncle Tony really peals Nadal a good one and Nadal is out for blood at the French. I wouldnt want to play Nadal now at RG. Hes tasted defeat on clay this year and he is going to want that RG title even more. I expect Nadal to not even lose a set at RG

Cesc Fabregas
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Can you talk?

Yep thats how I communicate with people.

danb
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
This is a thread for people to list and discuss their reasons why they think Nadal will NOT win the French Open this year (2009).

Here's my #1 reason:

Because nobody, and I mean NOBODY, beats Bjorn Borg's records. Federer tried to beat Borg's record at Wimbledon, but failed. Yes, he equaled it, but he could not beat it. He could not win more than 5 consecutive Wimbledons.

Same at the French Open. Nadal has equaled Borg's record of 4 consecutive French Opens, but he will not be able to beat it.

Reason #2:

Nadal is tired from his long runs at each clay court tournament leading up to the French. He couldn't even beat Federer in the Madrid final in his home country in front of his home fans. He'll run out of gas again before the French final.

Reason #3:

Federer has regained his confidence after beating Nadal in the Madrid final so will challenge Nadal at the French this year. He also has a new strategy that has proven to work against Nadal on clay.

OK, so what are YOUR reasons why Nadal will NOT win the French Open this year? :)

Reason #1 is silly
I'll take part of #3 (except Fed's confidence - he has almost none). I am a Rafa fan but I am not sure he can win again.
In regards to #2 - Rafa will be 100% - the same way he was in Madrid. When somebody else beats Rafa don't come up with "Rafa is tired".
Fed or Nole could win RG this year - they are close to Nadal's level this year.

IvanAndreevich
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Nadal is going to STEAMROLL every player that gets in his way after this loss against Roger. Dont be surprised if Uncle Tony really peals Nadal a good one and Nadal is out for blood at the French. I wouldnt want to play Nadal now at RG. Hes tasted defeat on clay this year and he is going to want that RG title even more. I expect Nadal to not even lose a set at RG

Would he steamroll Sampras if he had been playing at his peak now?

GameSampras
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Whats with all the Sampras talk you incessantly bring up

IvanAndreevich
05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Whats with all the Sampras talk you incessantly bring up

I'm just asking a question. What I can't ask a question? :confused:

Antonio Puente
05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
A number of Fed fans certainly are setting themselves up for a great deal of pain over the next few weeks.

GameSampras
05-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm just asking a question. What I can't ask a question? :confused:

I would have picked prime Pete circa 93-94 over Nadal yesterday at Madrid sure. Nadal looked awful and totally fatigued. Healthy Nadal no Pete cant beat him. Of course if you gave Pete 5 tries at the French against the same player I dunno. Hard to believe Pete would lose to the same player 4-5 years in a row at the same slam whether its Nadal arguably the clay court GOAT or not. Stranger things have happened in tennis. Pete was more of a fighter than Fed is

sk8ing
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
but dont forget to consider the fact that the paris clay is much slower than mandrid
just want you guys to keep that in mind ;)

Docalex007
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Yep thats how I communicate with people.

Apparently you got my drift. Good. At least that opens you up to some self-reflection... maybe see how hypocritical you are. Excellent!

fastdunn
05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
#1 Nadal might have been slightly injured (right knee).

From Yahoo tennis:
"He said his right knee is OK, but it acted up again on Saturday and has troubled him since November."

bruce38
05-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Reason #1 is silly
I'll take part of #3 (except Fed's confidence - he has almost none). I am a Rafa fan but I am not sure he can win again.
In regards to #2 - Rafa will be 100% - the same way he was in Madrid. When somebody else beats Rafa don't come up with "Rafa is tired".
Fed or Nole could win RG this year - they are close to Nadal's level this year.

Good and balanced post. There are some I see!

BigServer1
05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I would have picked prime Pete circa 93-94 over Nadal yesterday at Madrid sure. Nadal looked awful and totally fatigued. Healthy Nadal no Pete cant beat him. Of course if you gave Pete 5 tries at the French against the same player I dunno. Hard to believe Pete would lose to the same player 4-5 years in a row at the same slam whether its Nadal arguably the clay court GOAT or not. Stranger things have happened in tennis. Pete was more of a fighter than Fed is

Pete made one French semi final in his entire career, and he was never exactly "good" on that surface. It's safe to assume that Nadal would have owned him at the French regardless of whether they played 1 time or 100 times.

BreakPoint
05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
If you haven't already figured it out, I made this thread because it would make no sense to make a thread asking for reasons why Nadal WILL win the French Open. I mean, the reasons are already pretty obvious to everyone, aren't they? So no need for a thread like that. That's why I made this one instead - because it's a much more interesting topic to discuss and I expect there will be many different opinions. :)

oscar_2424
05-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Nadal is gonna wear the pirate pants and the sleveless shirt again and beat the crap out of Federer.

King of Aces
05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Nadal wont win but rather Roger will lose it by beating himself and shanking the ball all over the place.

tennis-hero
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Healthy Nadal no Pete cant beat him.

yes he can!

Pete Had the SERVE AND VOLLEY!

how can anyone hope to defeat true SERVE AND VOLLEY????

even on clay

Pete would ahve won in 2006

Nadal gave away the first set 6-1
PEte woudl have bagled Rafa first set

Kicked served him to tie break in the second, and won

in the third PEte woudl have let up Nadal would have made a strong come back- 6-3

4th set it woudl be edgy and cagey it would go to a tie break
in the tie break PEte's MUCH SUPERIOR SERVE and of course, KICKER mixed with TRUE SERVE AND VOLLEY

would take out NAdal and Pete would win a RG

very possible against NAdal

of course, Pete could never beat Roger at RG

VGP
05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
BP valid reasons.....

But:

1: records are made to be broken

2: Nadal could recoup as he has in the past. His approach to winning the title was to keep his matches as short as possible to have enough gas for the final. He could have a tough one or two that will seriously decrease his chances.

3: We'll see how Federer's confidence is under the ever changing conditions in Paris.

I'm anxious to see what the draw will look like.

Your post reminds me of a sidebar in Tennis magazine (I think it was last year) where Brad Gilbert gave 5 reasons why Nadal won't win RG. Fatigue and injury (blisters and his knees) were the big ones. Then Nadal wins without losing a set....

Satch
05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
The only reason i see is Novak and Fed join forces to take him down like they did in Madrid.
But Rafa will die on court to win that FO. Will be interesting

gj011
05-18-2009, 05:10 PM
A number of Fed fans certainly are setting themselves up for a great deal of pain over the next few weeks.

LOL So true. It will be a rude awakening.

jman
05-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Here's my #1 reason:

Same at the French Open. Nadal has equaled Borg's record of 4 consecutive French Opens, but he will not be able to beat it. ;)

Reason #2:

Reason #3:

I'm not so sure I'm with you on this one. I'm a huge fan of Federer, but I think this win in Madrid (will boost Federer's confidence), will be in Nadal's favor, because the pressure of winning every match on clay is off him. Similar situation in 2007 when Federer broke Nadal's 81 clay streak.
Although I think if they meet again at the finals of RG, it will be much closer than previous years. As to who wins... up in the air.

Leublu tennis
05-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Your #1 reason should keep people from reading the rest of your post. Nevertheless,

Your #2: Nadal is getting plenty of rest right now. A 22 year old, fit, super athlete does not need a 6 month vacation in the sun to recover.

Your #3: Federer will not be playing Nadal, if Djokovic is in his half.

And the real reason is that Djokovic will knock off Nadal, as he should have in Madrid.

tacou
05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm no troll but I think it's very unrealistic to say Nadal will lose the French. Nothing is certain, but it's as close to 100% certain as it was last year, in my opinion.

Lionheart392
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Reason #1. It's the curse of Borg.

Leublu tennis
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm no troll but I think it's very unrealistic to say Nadal will lose the French. Nothing is certain, but it's as close to 100% certain as it was last year, in my opinion.
Thats what I thought about Madrid and picked Nadal for my bracket.

egn
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Of course if you gave Pete 5 tries at the French against the same player I dunno. Hard to believe Pete would lose to the same player 4-5 years in a row at the same slam whether its Nadal arguably the clay court GOAT or not.

Not that hard to believe.

The reason and only reason is Nadal and Federer are actually Borg's slaves and he has hired them to tie his records but not break them to make everyone remember him more and than have them look into how truly amazing he is and how much harder it was for him to the accomplishment with wood rackets and truly polarized surfaces..however his plan backfired and it brought up some unnecessary andre agassi talk.

drakulie
05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Nadal wont win but rather Roger will lose it by beating himself and shanking the ball all over the place.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z312/AmyAlways/Owned.gif

prattle128
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
when is the draw released for roland garros?

Sentinel
05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Illness and injury are the only reasons that could stop Nadal from winning.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

ESP#1
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I agree that Fed has a chance and so does Djoko but to rule Nadal out is blasphemy, i mean the guy has never even been pushed to 5 sets at RG,

Would be pretty cool to see Fed get it though

Sentinel
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm lovin it..

Is that a little Nadal getting the crap smacked out of him? :)

Yep, and if you look closely, its Nole doing the spanking ;-) with Roger egging him on.

tennisboygr
05-18-2009, 08:40 PM

On clay? For sure...on grass, not so much.

BreakPoint
05-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Not that hard to believe.

The reason and only reason is Nadal and Federer are actually Borg's slaves and he has hired them to tie his records but not break them to make everyone remember him more and than have them look into how truly amazing he is and how much harder it was for him to the accomplishment with wood rackets and truly polarized surfaces..however his plan backfired and it brought up some unnecessary andre agassi talk.
Yes, and remember that Bjorn Borg is only one man. It'll take two whole GOAT's in Federer and Nadal to break his two records, if they ever do. :shock:

nadal
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
If you know Nadal well, you will be sure that he will win RG. Nadal now is very focused, wants to start playing RG yesterday more than today, he is vey eager to win it and everybody know that:
MOTIVATED NADAL + KING OF CLAY= WINNING RG WITHOUT DROPPING A SET.

If he will drop a set it will be against Djokovic not federer and i am sure federer wont make the finals if he had Djoker in his half, Djoker is really far better than Federer on clay.

for Federer fans: just calm and stop living in elusions cause of the non significant win against Nadal.

AND INSTEAD ANSWER THESE Qs:
Who won the most titles from the start of the season?
Who won the most matches from the start of the season?
Do you still think Federer is number 1? UPDATE YOUR INFORMATIONS NADAL IS NUMBER 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just resolved or still.

BreakPoint
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I dont agree with BP regarding his points.

But its just nice to see a thread started by someone othe than a Naltard..

Its a nice change from all the childish crap in all honesty.
BTW, I'm not saying that Nadal won't win the French Open. I'm asking people to think of any reasons why he won't win it, if he were not to win it. :)

Let's face it. The overwhelming odds are that Nadal will indeed win it. So people need to think out of the box to come up with scenarios on what could go wrong to cause him not to win it. :)

BreakPoint
05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Djoker is really far better than Federer on clay.

Then why is it that Federer has made the RG finals 3 years in a row, while Djokovic has made none?

Skanavis
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Then why is it that Federer has made the RG finals 3 years in a row, while Djokovic has made none?

Tell em BP!

Storm_Kyori
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Fatigue, but then again, looks can be deceiving and his will can take him further.

Uncle Emmitt
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Nadal has a w`ek off to rest a little. He won't drop hardly any if any sets on his way to the semis where it will be nadal djokavich, Federer and somene else.

Fed could, Djokavich could, but I think Rafa will win it again.

OTMPut
05-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Let me spoil the party. I cannot but think of every day randomness that Nadal has to face.

1. What is the probability Nadal won't get to Paris at all? (Air crash anyone?). Am i sounding so evil? ;)
2. What is the probability Nadal will not injure himself while training?

Assume that Nadal has made to french open in one full piece (and no food poisnoning and no car crashes while travelling to and fro hotel/RG, etc; you get the risk picture). Remember the fact he has done it for 4 years does not mean he will automatically do it again. Hell i am not even sure if i will make it home from work today. I could die in a number of ways before that!

(a) Prob(wins first round / given he has reached the courts) = 99.99%
(reason why he won't make it: he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 3rd set)

(b) Prob(wins second round / given he has won the first round) = 99.99%
(reason why he won't make it: he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 3rd set)

(c) Prob(wins third round / given he has won the second round) = 98.2%
(reasons why he won't make it:
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 3rd set
2. Ivo Karlovic bombs him out of the court with abotu 100 aces in total)

(d) Prob(wins 4thround / given he has won the 3rd round) = 96%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 4th set
2. he is tired after 3 five-setters
3. He discovers that his girl friend has been unfaithful to him. His tears blinds him when serving and result in 20 DF)

(e) Prob(wins QF / given he has won the 4th round) = 90%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 2nd set
2. he is tired after 4 five-setters
3. He discovers that his girl friend has been unfaithful to him. His tears blinds him when serving and result in 20 DF
4. his whacks the crap out of his own right eye , while executing his funny around the head f/h. needs immediate medical attention. gets bagled as he cannot see balls hit to his b/h)

(f) Prob(wins SF / given he has won QF) = 90%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 1st set
2. he is tired after 5 five-setters
3. He discovers that his girl friend has been unfaithful to him. His tears blinds him when serving and result in 20 DF
4. his whacks the crap out of his own right eye , while executing his funny around the head f/h. needs immediate medical attention. gets bagled as he cannot see balls hit to his b/h
5. suffers cardiac arrest)

(g) Prob(wins F / given he has won SF) = 80%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 1st set
2. he is tired after 6 five-setters
4. his whacks the crap out of his own right eye , while executing his funny around the head f/h. needs immediate medical attention. gets bagled as he cannot see balls hit to his b/h
5. suffers cardiac arrest
6. Fed serves like a machine)

Remember you are dealt only one sample path in your life. 1 in a million odd is not useful since you will not live a million times starting at the same point again and again.

Sentinel
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
^^ haha, some creative ones there.

How about a massive tectonic plate slide pushes Paris up to about the same height as Madrid (assuming the altitude theory).

On semi final day, Nadal gets super tired waiting for Djoko to serve. He wins 6-0 6-0 6-0 but his quadriceps are tired just waiting and waiting and waiting while Joko bounces the ball (no offence to Djoko fans here, just kidding)

luckyguy
05-18-2009, 10:04 PM
novak beats him.

sh@de
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM

How about a massive tectonic plate slide pushes Paris up to about the same height as Madrid (assuming the altitude theory).

On semi final day, Nadal gets super tired waiting for Djoko to serve. He wins 6-0 6-0 6-0 but his quadriceps are tired just waiting and waiting and waiting while Joko bounces the ball (no offence to Djoko fans here, just kidding)

Let me spoil the party. I cannot but think of every day randomness that Nadal has to face.

1. What is the probability Nadal won't get to Paris at all? (Air crash anyone?). Am i sounding so evil? ;)
2. What is the probability Nadal will not injure himself while training?

Assume that Nadal has made to french open in one full piece (and no food poisnoning and no car crashes while travelling to and fro hotel/RG, etc; you get the risk picture). Remember the fact he has done it for 4 years does not mean he will automatically do it again. Hell i am not even sure if i will make it home from work today. I could die in a number of ways before that!

(a) Prob(wins first round / given he has reached the courts) = 99.99%

(b) Prob(wins second round / given he has won the first round) = 99.99%

(c) Prob(wins third round / given he has won the second round) = 98.2%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 3rd set
2. Ivo Karlovic bombs him out of the court with abotu 100 aces in total)

(d) Prob(wins 4thround / given he has won the 3rd round) = 96%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 4th set
2. he is tired after 3 five-setters
3. He discovers that his girl friend has been unfaithful to him. His tears blinds him when serving and result in 20 DF)

(e) Prob(wins QF / given he has won the 4th round) = 90%
1. he twists his knees changing direction when chasing a volley and has to retire in 2nd set
2. he is tired after 4 five-setters
4. his whacks the crap out of his own right eye , while executing his funny around the head f/h. needs immediate medical attention. gets bagled as he cannot see balls hit to his b/h)

(f) Prob(wins SF / given he has won QF) = 90%
2. he is tired after 5 five-setters
5. suffers cardiac arrest)

(g) Prob(wins F / given he has won SF) = 80%
2. he is tired after 6 five-setters
5. suffers cardiac arrest
6. Fed serves like a machine)

Remember you are dealt only one sample path in your life. 1 in a million odd is not useful since you will not live a million times starting at the same point again and again.

HAHAH omg you guys are so creative... made me LOL :D.

OTMPut
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM

Hilarious.

And nadal cannot move because of a sore a**. He has been picking it 4 hours a day for nearly two weeks in a row.

prattle128
05-18-2009, 10:56 PM
nadal cannot move because of a sore a**. He has been picking it 4 hours a day for nearly two weeks in a row.

lol! well played sir.

nadal
05-19-2009, 01:44 AM

I am talking about the current form, Federer won't play with his history!!!!!!!!

helloworld
05-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Here's my #1 reason:

Reason #2:

Reason #3:

Sampras beats Borg's record by two Wimbledon. ;)

OTMPut
05-19-2009, 01:58 AM

too much of c programming, huh?

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Since when did Sampras win 7 consecutive Wimbledons? :confused:

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 02:05 AM
I am talking about the current form, Federer won't play with his history!!!!!!!!
Hmmm...let's see, Federer has one clay court title this season while Djokovic has none. Djokovic failed to beat Nadal 3 times in a row on clay this season while Federer beat Nadal on his very first try. I'd say currently Federer is still far better than Djokovic on clay. :)

<3tennis!!!
05-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Hmmm...let's see, Federer has one clay court title this season while Djokovic has none. Djokovic failed to beat Nadal 3 times in a row on clay this season while Federer beat Nadal on his very first try. I'd say currently Federer is still far better than Djokovic on clay. :)1.nadal 2.federer nuff said?:neutral:

nadal
05-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Hmmm...let's see, Federer has one clay court title this season while Djokovic has none. Djokovic failed to beat Nadal 3 times in a row on clay this season while Federer beat Nadal on his very first try. I'd say currently Federer is still far better than Djokovic on clay. :)

What about Serbian open?!!!!!!!! and what about Djokovic Beating Federer in Rome semifinals?!!!! and what about Djokovic collecting 1810 pts on clay to Federer 1450?

See the truth by your mind not by your heart and stop living in illusions BP!!!!

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 03:02 AM
What about Serbian open?!!!!!!!! and what about Djokovic Beating Federer in Rome semifinals?!!!! and what about Djokovic collecting 1810 pts on clay to Federer 1450?

See the truth by your mind not by your heart and stop living in illusions BP!!!!
Serbian Open doesn't count because it was not a Masters Series event so nobody played in it so Djokovic had no competition.

Did you see the Rome semis? Federer dominated Djokovic throughout most of the match but then had a mental collapse at the ends of sets 2 and 3.

nadal
05-19-2009, 03:16 AM
Serbian Open doesn't count because it was not a Masters Series event so nobody played in it so Djokovic had no competition.

Did you see the Rome semis? Federer dominated Djokovic throughout most of the match but then had a mental collapse at the ends of sets 2 and 3.

ya you right but i heard that in Rome semis it wasn't a mental collapse, it was a bee flying infront of his eye that bothered him and in Serbia, Djokovic was playing against Cricket players and Serbia was an exhibition tournament not ATP one, stop making excusses and go to a phsychatrist better :)

Underhand
05-19-2009, 03:19 AM

On semi final day, Nadal gets super tired waiting for Djoko to serve. He wins 6-0 6-0 6-0 but his quadriceps are tired just waiting and waiting and waiting while Joko bounces the ball

Or a massive explosion in a chemical plant near Paris that covers all the RG courts with plastic layer that is even faster than the DecoTurf of US Open?

Or Federer turns up on the final wearing a Hello Kitty cardigan, pink tutu, with a Swarovski crystal studded purse and Nadal must be carried to a hospital with mental shock?

AllDownTheLine
05-19-2009, 03:30 AM
1.nadal 2.federer nuff said?:neutral:

I like both players but I want to see Federer win the French.
I however am not letting myself get fooled by the Madrid results. Nobody mentioned the high altitude conditions that the commentators kept saying Nadal doesn't play well in.
I think when all is said and done Nadal will be holding the trophy. Why?
Because no one beats him at the French!
I will admit that I am letting a little optimism sneak in as it was fun to see Roger win one on clay and maybe the S&V will work? Nah.......

DarthMaul
05-19-2009, 04:03 AM
I like both players but I want to see Federer win the French.
I however am not letting myself get fooled by the Madrid results. Nobody mentioned the high altitude conditions that the commentators kept saying Nadal doesn't play well in.
I will admit that I am letting a little optimism sneak in as it was fun to see Roger win one on clay and maybe the S&V will work? Nah.......

You could say the same thing about Fed and Wimbledon before Wimby 2008.

Cindysphinx
05-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Neither Fed nor Nadal wins it.

I say Nadal suffers an early upset to someone playing the match of his life (Warinka (sp?), Gonzalez) and never quite looks right. Keeps dropping the ball short and pays the price.

I say Fed makes the final but buckles under the weight of expectations with Nadal out of the field.

Which gives you Djokovic as your FO champion.

Unless he gets a blister on his toe or something. :)

deltox
05-19-2009, 05:38 AM
monfils or jmdp takes the title this year, its obvious

sureshs
05-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Nadal will not win the FO because James Blake is the favorite on clay.

vtmike
05-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Or a massive explosion in a chemical plant near Paris that covers all the RG courts with plastic layer that is even faster than the DecoTurf of US Open?

Or Federer turns up on the final wearing a Hello Kitty cardigan, pink tutu, with a Swarovski crystal studded purse and Nadal must be carried to a hospital with mental shock?

Or Nadal sticks his hand in too deep. This forces him to play with his right hand because his left hand is stuck inside his *****... :D

KerryJ
05-19-2009, 05:57 AM
DANIEL KOELLERER. French Open 2009 Champion

Cyan
05-19-2009, 05:58 AM
The first reason is silly. Fed didn't win 6 Wimbys in a row because no man has won the same slam for 6 yrs. in a row in the Open era... maybe this is why fed wont win 6 USOs in a row. no man can win the same slam for 6 consecutive yrs. never has been done in the Open era....

OTMPut
05-19-2009, 06:06 AM

Thats a bit like religious fanatics justifying god.

TheNatural
05-19-2009, 06:11 AM
defaulted for unsportsmanlike conduct for dislodging Fed's head, after Fed's over sized head got in the way of his 5000 rpm passing shot.

Dutch-Guy
05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I can't just imagine Nadal no winning RG but you never know...

Blade0324
05-19-2009, 07:12 AM
yes he can!

Pete Had the SERVE AND VOLLEY!

how can anyone hope to defeat true SERVE AND VOLLEY????

even on clay

Pete would ahve won in 2006

Nadal gave away the first set 6-1
PEte woudl have bagled Rafa first set

Kicked served him to tie break in the second, and won

in the third PEte woudl have let up Nadal would have made a strong come back- 6-3

4th set it woudl be edgy and cagey it would go to a tie break
in the tie break PEte's MUCH SUPERIOR SERVE and of course, KICKER mixed with TRUE SERVE AND VOLLEY

would take out NAdal and Pete would win a RG

very possible against NAdal

of course, Pete could never beat Roger at RG

You couldn't be more wrong. S&V worked at one time but no longer. The players and game today are just too good at passing consistantly, especially Nadal for S&V to work with much success. Pete would have little to no chance to beat Nadal on Clay and even other surfaces would be tough today. Pete was good in his time but that time is gone. Sorry.

Blade0324
05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I dont agree with BP regarding his points.

But its just nice to see a thread started by someone othe than a Naltard..

Its a nice change from all the childish crap in all honesty.

Except that BP is the biggest **** and most childish poster on the boards.

drakulie
05-19-2009, 07:21 AM

I actually feel the same way. I don't think either will be standing with the trophy at the end.

We have seen some unbelievable tennis from Nadal over the last few years. Last year was just out of this world the way he absolutely dominated the game between the lines. Glad I was able to witness it. However, although he is having a fantastic season this year (even better than last year), his FH has not been as dominating as last year. He has had several matches (including wins), where his FH is seriously landing short, and does not have the same effect as it has in the past. Like Federer, guys are figuring out they **can** attack his FH, and don't have to be afraid into only hitting to his BH, which I think is the best in the game.

I also believe the pressure of being number one, and possibly breaking Borg's records may begin to get to him.

I believe we are all due for a very interesting French Open, with some major upsest and new FO champion this year.

All that said, I have never seen anyone as hard-headed/stubborn on a tennis court as Nadal. The guy just absolutely refuses to lose a point, much less a match.

The-Champ
05-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Reason #3:

Didn't Federer bagel Nadal at Hamburg in 2007? Federer has the game to beat him, but let's see what he can do when history is on the line in a best of 5.

I think Nadal will win pretty convincingly again and surpass Björn's 4 consecutive.

King of Aces
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Didn't Federer bagel Nadal at Hamburg in 2007? Federer has the game to beat him, but let's see what he can do when history is on the line in a best of 5.

I think Nadal will win pretty convincingly again and surpass Björn's 4 consecutive.

he beat Nadal 6-1 & 6-2 at hamburg and then again 6-1 at the FO.

Rickson
05-19-2009, 07:52 AM
The don't break Borg's record curse is about medium in strength and not nearly as strong as the curse of 13. I guess it carries enough weight to have some merit. I guess I can go with Breakpoint's prediction of Borg's curse preventing Nadal from winning the French this year.

ksbh
05-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Now that's when I say, Champ- you're on the ball! :)

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
The first reason is silly. Fed didn't win 6 Wimbys in a row because no man has won the same slam for 6 yrs. in a row in the Open era... maybe this is why fed wont win 6 USOs in a row. no man can win the same slam for 6 consecutive yrs. never has been done in the Open era....
So I guess that means there's no way Nadal will be winning 6 French Opens in a row? :)

fanofed
05-19-2009, 01:25 PM
As much as id like to believe what you are saying is real reason nr 1 and 2 is rubbish in my humble opinion. And reason nr 3 is not a reason he wont win the french, just a possibility if you will.

Redflea
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I like the idea of this thread, BP. I like Rafa, like Roger, no loyalties on either side for me...just want good tennis.

Here's how Nadal might lose...I do have trouble believing it will happen, given his amazing heart/focus and how much the clay at RG loves Rafa's game and vice-versa...but I have to admit to being a Borg partisan from my youth, so a part of me wants that record to stand. :)

Here goes...

1. Nadal plays two grinders (e.g., Simon, Monfils on a great day, etc.) leading up to the quarters/semis...they don't come really close to beating Nadal, but make him work very hard in three or four long sets. Nadal, who has admittedly looked a bit weary, loses reserves he wanted to husband for later in the tournament.

2. Novak is in Nadal's side of the draw, and faces him in semis. They play a long, epic match, four sets minimum, possibly five, further reducing Nadal's reserves (and confidence) for the final. Novak could even get both lucky and good at key moments in the match and shock the world by winning.

3. Fed does not face and lose to Andy M. before the finals.

4. Fed faces Nadal in the final and finally implements a consistent and effective strategy to beat Nadal...consisting (at least) of: 1) Great depth on all shots, hit the baseline or hit it out, nothing shorter than that unless it's a drop or sharp angle; 2) Strong aggression on his own 1st and 2nd serve - a strong miss is better than a safe shot; 3) Attack and take risks on Nadal's 2nd serve; 4) Effective timing/use of drop shots; 5) Understanding that any rally that goes beyond a few strokes is increasingly likely to be won by Nadal...end the point! Fed needs to be balls-out the entire match. He will lose if he isn't.

MrAWD
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I just posted this in the other thread, but this one is way more suitable for this reply!! Here is why I think Rafa will have hard time winning this or any future French Open.

The thing is Rafa's game is getting well known to other top guys and we see it exploited more and more by each one of them. I think it is a matter of time when this is going to happen (not by any means IF it is going to happen) and from seeing him playing Djokovic last two times, it is going to get only harder.

Federer looked so much like his old self and if he keeps playing the way he played in Madrid, Rafa will have a hard time if they meet in Paris.

The main thing here is that Rafa's opponents are realizing that he is leaving lot of space on his backhand side and all those cross court balls at steeper angle move him so far out of the court that he is basically forced to go for the winner or send a normal ball and then try to chase it to either his backhand side back to the forehand, which is hard to get to if he is already running to the other side. What he was doing in Madrid was to leave a bit less space on his forehand side, which exposed his backhand more and he obviously didn't like that. Then there is a drop shot too that fairs well against him since he is mostly 2 or 3 feet behind the baseline and/or when he is stretched wide on his forehand. So, after chasing few of those he will need even more then 50 seconds to recover between his serving strokes.

Tennis_Bum
05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I like the idea of this thread, BP. I like Rafa, like Roger, no loyalties on either side for me...just want good tennis.

Here's how Nadal might lose...I do have trouble believing it will happen, given his amazing heart/focus and how much the clay at RG loves Rafa's game and vice-versa...but I have to admit to being a Borg partisan from my youth, so a part of me wants that record to stand. :)

Here goes...

1. Nadal plays two grinders (e.g., Simon, Monfils on a great day, etc.) leading up to the quarters/semis...they don't come really close to beating Nadal, but make him work very hard in three or four long sets. Nadal, who has admittedly looked a bit weary, loses reserves he wanted to husband for later in the tournament.

2. Novak is in Nadal's side of the draw, and faces him in semis. They play a long, epic match, four sets minimum, possibly five, further reducing Nadal's reserves (and confidence) for the final. Novak could even get both lucky and good at key moments in the match and shock the world by winning.

3. Fed does not face and lose to Andy M. before the finals.

4. Fed faces Nadal in the final and finally implements a consistent and effective strategy to beat Nadal...consisting (at least) of: 1) Great depth on all shots, hit the baseline or hit it out, nothing shorter than that unless it's a drop or sharp angle; 2) Strong aggression on his own 1st and 2nd serve - a strong miss is better than a safe shot; 3) Attack and take risks on Nadal's 2nd serve; 4) Effective timing/use of drop shots; 5) Understanding that any rally that goes beyond a few strokes is increasingly likely to be won by Nadal...end the point! Fed needs to be balls-out the entire match. He will lose if he isn't.

No way, Fed will not lose to Murray. Murray is way overrated on clay. Did he get to the semi at masters on clay this year? Murray will not make it to the semi. A pusher like Murray will not do well at FO.

Dgpsx7
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I am a Federer fan but I don't think a loss on clay for Nadal will slow him down at all. I watched his loss to Ferrero live and I think it was a fluke but what it did was make him work even harder which is why he has been playing much better since then. I don't think Djoker will be able to stop Nadal, I don't like Djoker but he played really well in the semifinal and still lost. He has to be discouraged. Federer on the other hand played very smart in the Madrid final but is still a huge underdog going into the French. Nadal will have no difficulties with anyone until the semi when he will have an semi-entertaining win against Djoker and if he meets Fed in the final it will be fun to watch but just know the only way Fed has any chance of winning is if he serves perfectly and puts all his body and mind into that match. I am really excited to see what happens, it should be a great tournament.

Redflea
05-19-2009, 03:15 PM
No way, Fed will not lose to Murray. Murray is way overrated on clay. Did he get to the semi at masters on clay this year? Murray will not make it to the semi. A pusher like Murray will not do well at FO.

IMHO, Murray is in Fed's head, much like Nadal...Fed's confidence has not exactly been great generally, confidence against Andy has to have been affected by what, four straight losses, and Andy's confidence against Fed is very high.

None of those factors make it a walk-over for Fed vs. Murray at this point. I would give Fed the edge at RG, but would not call it a gimme by any means....

Cyan
05-19-2009, 03:35 PM
So I guess that means there's no way Nadal will be winning 6 French Opens in a row? :)

Depends if Fed can win 6 USOs in a row this year.

JohnnySpot
05-19-2009, 03:54 PM
According to some, the only time Nadal loses is if he is tired and the only time Federer wins is if he is lucky.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I can't wait to bring this thread up after the French Open. :twisted:

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I can't wait to bring this thread up after the French Open. :twisted:
I can't either. :shock:

Gorecki
05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
my guess is that Mr Sport Billy and the magical man purse only stand a chance of winning if Jesus Raf retires due to Thumb & Index injury!..

but this is just me!

weallwegot
05-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Fed will win this year at RO, mark my words.

Rickson
05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
The Madrid loss was due to the curse of 13 so I can't say Federer will beat Nadal in their next meeting now. Unfortunately, now we have to go back to the boring, old traditional methods of calculating who will win. Rafa would beat Roger at Roland Garros and Roger would beat Rafa at Wimbledon. How lame.

oneleggedcardinal
05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
my guess is that Mr Sport Billy and the magical man purse only stand a chance of winning if Jesus Raf retires due to Thumb & Index injury!..

but this is just me!

But he has a magical man purse! Surely he can cast a super-run-around-backhand spell on himself to win!

nadal
05-19-2009, 08:54 PM

ya you right but i heard that in Rome semis it wasn't a mental collapse, it was a bee flying infront of his eye that bothered him and in Serbia, Djokovic was playing against Cricket players and Serbia was an exhibition tournament not ATP one, stop making excusses and go to a phsychatrist better

Sentinel
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Fed will win this year at RO, mark my words.

RO being ?

Seriously guys, Chuck Norris has a fair chance of beating Nadal this year. He's playing some Joao Silva of Brasil in the qualifiers on Sunday.

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Interesting. I didn't know that stat. There's always a first time though. Who knows? Maybe Rafa will do it at RG...

Swissv2
05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Interesting. I didn't know that stat. There's always a first time though. Who knows? Maybe Rafa will do it at RG...

No worries. Just make sure Nadal isn't tired ;)

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Here is one reason which all you people have not mentioned:

Federer has put some pressure on Nadal at the FO in the past...just not last year. But if you exclude last year I think Federer hasnt played all too bad against Nadal here... he just needs to fix up a few things and he should be fine.

People point out Rafa was tired etc. for the Madrid final. Well hello it wasnt like Federer was trying that much either in that final...you could tell both players were saving energy for the clashes to come here!

nadal
05-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Here is one reason which all you people have not mentioned:

Federer has put some pressure on Nadal at the FO in the past...just not last year. But if you exclude last year I think Federer hasnt played all too bad against Nadal here... he just needs to fix up a few things and he should be fine.

People point out Rafa was tired etc. for the Madrid final. Well hello it wasnt like Federer was trying that much either in that final...you could tell both players were saving energy for the clashes to come here!

yes hasn't played all too bad 61 63 60 what if he played bad?!!!

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Sadly, really sadly, I agree.

sh@de
05-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Sadly, really sadly, I agree.

I don't. I think Djoker and Fed will pose a threat. That's not to say I think they'll win against Rafa, but I think they'll still pose a decent challenge, more than they've done in previous years. I certainly hope that's the case, it'll make some more interesting tennis instead of just Nadal bageling everyone else.

Rickson
05-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Remember that Nadal has a relatively small curse on him now which is the curse of nobody breaking Borg's records. Will it be enough to prevent him from winning RG this year? Possibly, but keep in mind that this curse holds a lot less weight than the dreaded curse of 13.

mandy01
05-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Remember that Nadal has a relatively small curse on him now which is the curse of nobody breaking Borg's records. Will it be enough to prevent him from winning RG this year? Possibly, but keep in mind that this curse holds a lot less weight than the dreaded curse of 13.
Roger's got 13 slams..so does the curse of 13 work there? :lol: :lol:

Rickson
05-20-2009, 06:23 AM
If you read my previous posts, you'll see that Roger paid his dues in Melbourne. Rafa still has only 13 victories over Roger, but his curse has been lifted. The curse of 13 may still have some residual effects as you saw with Roger, but then again, he may have been trying to lose on purpose so he could save the curse's effects for a slam. Roger does read this message board you know. To reiterate, Roger and Rafa are both just about free of the curse of 13 and at some point, both players will likely move onto 14 respectively; Roger will get 14 + slams and Rafa will get 14 + victories over Roger.

Sentinel
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
How did Pete Whatever get over the 13 slam curse, if one is permitted to ask ?

;-)

Rickson
05-20-2009, 07:37 AM
The curse was strong with Pete after number 13. Remember the early exits? Pete would take a full 2 years before he got to number 14 so yes, the curse of 13 took its toll on Sampras too.

Andres
05-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Two finals and one SF (1560 pts) > One title, one SF and a R16 (1450 pts)
Djokovic performed better on clay. Numbers don't lie.

drakulie
05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
^^^Hater.

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/57405-1/Robocop.gif

Cyan
05-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Roger does read this message board you know.

You actually believe this? :shock: Maybe Mirka reads forums but not Roger he is too busy.... :)

Cyan
05-20-2009, 08:35 AM

Navratilova is the only one to win the same slam for 6 yrs. in a row in the Open era.

Cyan
05-20-2009, 08:37 AM
How did Pete Whatever get over the 13 slam curse, if one is permitted to ask ?

;-)

Pete had to wait TWO YEARS between winning slam number 13 and slam number 14. :shock:

Cyan
05-20-2009, 08:38 AM
The curse was strong with Pete after number 13. Pete would take a full 2 years before he got to number 14 so yes, the curse of 13 took its toll on Sampras too.

Maybe the same will happen to Fed :)

AprilFool
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Federer opted out of Monte Carlo where he likely would have spanked Novak or made it to the final.

Nevertheless, I shield > 0 shield.

AprilFool
05-20-2009, 08:43 AM

That remains to be seen, as the Borg curse is a relatively new one and is only now being tested.:)

MethodTennis
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM

******* 10char

maximo
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM

You really have it in for Murray and worship Sampras don't you?

Anyway, I think this FO will be the hardest Nadal has ever played. And will be pushed right to the brink.

Andres
05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Federer opted out of Monte Carlo where he likely would have spanked Novak or made it to the final.

Nevertheless, I shield > 0 shield.
He was "spanked" by Wawrinka. Why would he have "spanked" Novak if he loses earlier?

thetaxman
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Some of these reasons make no sense. Everyone knows RG is a completely different ball game than Madrid. And let's not forget, 5 sets is a long time to hold your nerve...

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
But that doesn't matter. It's all about who can beat Nadal on clay. I mean that's what it all comes down to on clay. :)

Andres
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Whatever floats your boat, BP ;)

By your logic, Gaudio was the 2nd best claycourter in 2005, since he defeated Nadal once that year. Andreev also defeated him, so Andreev should be #3, because Gaudio served Rafa a bagel and a breadstick ;)

Andyk028
05-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Nadal is gonna wear the pirate pants and the sleveless shirt again and beat the crap out of Federer.

YEAH YEAH YEAH

R_Federer
05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Some of these reasons make no sense. Everyone knows RG is a completely different ball game than Madrid. And let's not forget, 5 sets is a long time to hold your nerve...

If Nadal was tired playing 3 set matches at Madrid...he will be dead playing 3-5 set matches at RG LoL!!!

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Whatever floats your boat, BP ;)

By your logic, Gaudio was the 2nd best claycourter in 2005, since he defeated Nadal once that year. Andreev also defeated him, so Andreev should be #3, because Gaudio served Rafa a bagel and a breadstick ;)
What I'm saying is that you're not going to win the French Open unless you can beat Nadal. Nothing else really matters because ultimately, you're going to have to beat Nadal.

BTW, Gaudio has as many wins against Nadal on clay as he has losses. I don't think anyone else does. And no other players have beaten Nadal 3 times on clay. So yeah, Gaudio is tied with Nadal on clay. :)

oy vey
05-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Here's what uncle toni says:

“Roland Garros will be difficult but we will see what will happen,” said Nadal’s coach and uncle, Toni Nadal.

“There is no extra pressure, it is always the same. But it is clear that the uncertainty increases with the win in Madrid by Federer, who had a good match.”

Aside from Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray could beat Nadal, he added.

“We are aware that this could happen,” he said.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20052009/3/nadal-cautious-ahead-french-open.html

Andres
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
What I'm saying is that you're not going to win the French Open unless you can beat Nadal. Nothing else really matters because ultimately, you're going to have to beat Nadal.

BTW, Gaudio has many wins against Nadal on clay as he has losses. I don't think anyone else does. And no other players have beaten Nadal 3 times on clay. So yeah, Gaudio is tied with Nadal on clay. :)
And if Nadal is the clay GOAT, Gaudio is at least Co-GOAT

yeah, I could buy that! :D

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 07:37 PM
If Nadal was tired playing 3 set matches at Madrid...he will be dead playing 3-5 set matches at RG LoL!!!
No because they don't play every day in slams.

Mikey Fresh
05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Djokovic in a four setter it will be a like 6-3 5-7 7-6 7-5

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 07:41 PM
And if Nadal is the clay GOAT, Gaudio is at least Co-GOAT

yeah, I could buy that! :D
Why, of course! Other than Nadal, who else has won the French Open in the past 5 years? ;-)

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 07:41 PM
If you read my previous posts, you'll see that Roger paid his dues in Melbourne. Rafa still has only 13 victories over Roger, but his curse has been lifted. The curse of 13 may still have some residual effects as you saw with Roger, but then again, he may have been trying to lose on purpose so he could save the curse's effects for a slam. Roger does read this message board you know. To reiterate, Roger and Rafa are both just about free of the curse of 13 and at some point, both players will likely move onto 14 respectively; Roger will get 14 + slams and Rafa will get 14 + victories over Roger.
Good news for both :)

tudwell
05-20-2009, 07:43 PM
There's only one reason and his name is Roger Federer.

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 07:43 PM
No because they don't play every day in slam.
And they don't play 5 set matches in Masters Series events (anymore). :oops:

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
And they don't play 5 set matches in Masters Series events (anymore). :oops:
The number of sets is irrelevant, it's the combination of the duration and the intensity of a match that may have an effect on the player when the recovery time is very short.

matchmaker
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM

I agree. Djokovic did everything right against Nadal, he just had bad luck he did not win. He gets three match points but Nadal hits one unreturnable serve + two winners after a perfectly constructed rally.

Fed gets two breakpoints against his serve in the final game to level the second set but Nadal clumsily hits two totally UE's after an easy rally, without pressure then lets himself get aced twice.

Djoko is the real threat IMO.

Ripster
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

BTW, Gaudio has as many wins against Nadal on clay as he has losses. I don't think anyone else does. And no other players have beaten Nadal 3 times on clay. So yeah, Gaudio is tied with Nadal on clay. :)

You are using this reasoning to discount Djokovic? :???: He was one point away from beating Nadal in the semi-final and everybody knows Nadal played way better in the semi than he did in the final against Federer.

dh003i
05-20-2009, 08:20 PM
You are using this reasoning to discount Djokovic? :???: He was one point away from beating Nadal in the semi-final and everybody knows Nadal played way better in the semi than he did in the final against Federer.

Well, one reason to discount Djokovic is that at tournaments that count the most (slams), he's been less consistent than Federer. His heart and conditioning is also questionable. He's has a history of sometimes fighting hard, sometimes quitting.

But if he's playing good, and if he's willing to fight and isn't going to quit because of SARS or something, he certainly has his shots.

sh@de
05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I agree. Djokovic did everything right against Nadal, he just had bad luck he did not win. He gets three match points but Nadal hits one unreturnable serve + two winners after a perfectly constructed rally.

Fed gets two breakpoints against his serve in the final game to level the second set but Nadal clumsily hits two totally UE's after an easy rally, without pressure then lets himself get aced twice.

Djoko is the real threat IMO.

Yeah but what happened was Fed beat Nadal, and Djoker couldn't. So Fed is a bigger threat at RG than Djoker is to Nadal. On the other hand, Djoker has beaten Fed twice this year, once on clay too, so maybe he'll beat Fed if they meet. Who knows.

Ripster
05-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Well, one reason to discount Djokovic is that at tournaments that count the most (slams), he's been less consistent than Federer. His heart and conditioning is also questionable. He's has a history of sometimes fighting hard, sometimes quitting.

But if he's playing good, and if he's willing to fight and isn't going to quit because of SARS or something, he certainly has his shots.

His conditioning has improved since he hired Muster's fitness coach at the start of the clay court season. He also gave Nadal his toughest Roland Garros match last year.

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
The number of sets is irrelevant, it's the combination of the duration and the intensity of a match that may have an effect on the player when the recovery time is very short.
Your comment makes no sense whatsoever.

The number of sets is irrelevant but the duration of a match is? The last I checked, 3 set matches typically last longer than 2 set matches and 5 set matches typically last longer than 3 set matches.

BTW, does how much time you waste before serving have any relevance to how long a match goes? :oops:

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Ever consider it's the way that Djokovic plays that allowed Nadal to beat him? Also ever consider that it's the way Federer plays that allowed him to beat Nadal? It's NOT all about Nadal. There's another player on the other side of the net that is forcing or not forcing Nadal to do what he wants or doesn't want to to.

And how do you know Federer wouldn't have also beaten Nadal if they played in the semis instead of the final?

Sentinel
05-20-2009, 09:05 PM
It's amazing how deeply upset our Nadal-fan brothers are with Federer's lone win.

Even though they (and we) know it means nothing viz a viz the FO or even WO etc.

Not a single Nadal fan has congratulated Fed/fedfans for the win :-(

vndesu
05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
It's amazing how deeply upset our Nadal-fan brothers are with Federer's lone win.

Even though they (and we) know it means nothing viz a viz the FO or even WO etc.

yup just made more excuses just like how fed fans make excuses.
if you look at how fed had played he played amazing everyone had to admit it, i was iffy about watching the match but then saw a lot of good points between the two.

maybe nadal was tired, but that isnt an excuse bc or the AO with verdasco.
hopefully more players like djokovic or federer will take out the clay king who knows.

devila
05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Federer is one of the greatest, purdiest ever, if not the GOAT. Surely, only the universe beats him...and he never got beaten by Roddick. He never lost a set and never got handed a gift at 0-2 in the Madrid quarterfinal.

Underhand
05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Federer is one of the greatest, purdiest ever, if not the GOAT. Surely, only the universe beats him...

Chuck Norris can beat him whenever he wants.

Ripster
05-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Ever consider it's the way that Djokovic plays that allowed Nadal to beat him? Also ever consider that it's the way Federer plays that allowed him to beat Nadal? It's NOT all about Nadal. There's another player on the other side of the net that is forcing or not forcing Nadal to do what he wants or doesn't want to to.

And how do you know Federer wouldn't have also beaten Nadal if they played in the semis instead of the final?

Djokovic was playing aggressively just as Federer was. The difference being that Nadal was missing some of the same shots against Fed that he was making when he played Novak. Federer played great all-court tennis in that match though and that's why he won in straight sets pretty comfortably.

BOTH Federer and Djokovic have good shots at beating Nadal at Roland Garros. I just think Djokovic has a better chance based on their clay seasons so far.

BreakPoint
05-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Djokovic was playing aggressively just as Federer was. The difference being that Nadal was missing some of the same shots against Fed that he was making when he played Novak. Federer played great all-court tennis in that match though and that's why he won in straight sets pretty comfortably.

BOTH Federer and Djokovic have good shots at beating Nadal at Roland Garros. I just think Djokovic has a better chance based on their clay seasons so far.
Actually, Federer hits the ball much flatter than Djokovic does and in the thinner air of high altitude, that made the ball go through the air much faster. That's why Nadal couldn't get to some of Federer's shots while he could run down most of Djokovic's shots. Just because it looks like Djokovic is taking big swings at the ball doesn't mean that his shots are traveling faster through the court than Federer's shots are. His spin actually slows the ball down.

In addition, I don't think Djokovic served and volleyed nor attacked the net nearly as often as Federer did.

tennisplaya
05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Actually, Federer hits the ball much flatter than Djokovic does and in the thinner air of high altitude, that made the ball go through the air much faster. That's why Nadal couldn't get to some of Federer's shots while he could run down most of Djokovic's shots. Just because it looks like Djokovic is taking big swings at the ball doesn't mean that his shots are traveling faster through the court than Federer's shots are. His spin actually slows the ball down.

In addition, I don't think Djokovic served and volleyed nor attacked the net nearly as often as Federer did.

This match will be the highlight of Federer's year.

sh@de
05-21-2009, 04:42 AM

That's news. I always thought Fed hits with the second most number of rpms on tour, only behind Nadal. Does Djoker hit with a lot of spin as well??

Rickson
05-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Novak's balls look a lot flatter than Roger's balls.

thejoe
05-21-2009, 04:48 AM
I think Roger hits with more spin, but a flatter trajectory. Djokovic hits a loopier rally ball, but crushes short balls flat.

lambielspins
05-21-2009, 05:08 AM

Ripster is a lovesick Djokovic fanatic. He actually believes Djokovic is the best hard court player in the world when in the last 12 months all he has won on hard courts is the year end Masters when he played none of Nadal, Federer, and Murray and when his combined head to head with those 4 in the last year on hard courts is something like 2-6. Dont try to reason with him, you will get nowhere.

Rickson
05-21-2009, 05:13 AM
Federer would have beaten Nadal regardless of when they played due to the curse, but now that the curse has been lifted, who knows who'll win the next match between them?

Cyan
05-21-2009, 06:01 AM

Because it wasnt a fair win like 2007 TMC SF for example.

King of Aces
05-21-2009, 06:06 AM

Thats not true.....a ton of people have! And I for one will do it again:

Congratulations Roger! You were the better player that day. Good luck!

thejoe
05-21-2009, 06:41 AM

Why wasn't it fair?

cknobman
05-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Rafa wont win the FO this year because he will be switching to a new racquet exclusively for the tournament.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/Y112L.JPG
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-Y112L.html

Its the new Babolat Y 112 LTD. Only question I have is Y did babolat make these pieces of junk?

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 07:06 AM
According to some, the only time Nadal loses is if he is tired and the only time Federer wins is if he is lucky.

That sounds about right currently. Nadal is a much superior player to Fed at present. This has not always been the case but right now you summed it up perfectly.

Ripster
05-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Djokovic's backhand is flatter and more penetrating than Fed's. He can handle Nadal's high kicking balls on clay much easier than Federer. Fed can run around and hit his forehand though which is what he was doing a lot in the final. Federer's forehand probably travels faster but then again he has one of the best forehands ever.

BreakPoint
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Novak's balls look a lot flatter than Roger's balls.
I won't ask how you know that. ;)

BreakPoint
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
You're right. It's only a fair match when it's played on the exact same clay court surface they use at Roland Garros, and it has to be at the same exact elevation, and of course the stadium can't have a roof on it. :-?

Richie Rich
05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
the better player won on that day. simple. works both ways - just like nadal :mrgreen:

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Rafa wont win the FO this year because he will be switching to a new racquet exclusively for the tournament.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/Y112L.JPG
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-Y112L.html

Its the new Babolat Y 112 LTD. Only question I have is Y did babolat make these pieces of junk?

I wouldn't pass judgement on these frames unless you have tried them. I have actually used one and it hits surprisingly well. It's not a racquet for me personally but they actually are quite nice. Much nicer than the Wilsons that they compete with.

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Here's my #1 reason:

Reason #2:

Reason #3:

Reason #4: because breakpoint the guru said so :roll:

Sentinel
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh, i forgot that Federer cheated (Madrid open). Thanks for reminding us.

And the 07 TMC SF was between which players?

BreakPoint
05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Reason #4: because breakpoint the guru said so :roll:
If you actually read this thread, you would have seen that I said Nadal will win the French Open. :oops:

Why? Because I said so. :shock:

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 09:51 PM
If you actually read this thread, you would have seen that I said Nadal will win the French Open. :oops:

Why? Because I said so. :shock:
I can clearly see the NOT in the thread title. It's not my fault if you contradicted yourself after that!

BreakPoint
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I can clearly see the NOT in the thread title. It's not my fault if you contradicted yourself after that!
READ the thread! Does anyone really need to give reasons why Nadal WILL win the French Open? Aren't the reasons pretty obvious for everyone already? Is there even anything to discuss? Are there actually people on this earth ******** enough to think that Nadal is not the overwhelming favorite to win the French Open?

Please get with the program. :-?

sh@de
05-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Aw c'mon, it was a joke! Don't take it so seriously... loosen up mate =)

Don't worry, I'm sure Nadal will win RG. He's a completely different monster there I think. I can definitely see Federer and Djokovic pushing him a bit harder this year, but honestly, I don't see anybody beating Nadal. He's the best in the game at the moment

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Aw c'mon, it was a joke! Don't take it so seriously... loosen up mate =)

Don't worry, I'm sure Nadal will win RG. He's a completely different monster there I think. I can definitely see Federer and Djokovic pushing him a bit harder this year, but honestly, I don't see anybody beating Nadal. He's the best in the game at the moment
I admire your certainty. I always have doubts.

sh@de
05-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I admire your certainty. I always have doubts.

hahaha ok I'm not 100% certain, but let's just say... if I predicted outcomes at RG the way Nadal plays (percentage play), then I think a) I'd be going for Nadal almost every RG and b) I'm sure I'll get it right more than I get it wrong. :p.

Al Czervik
05-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Who woulda thunk it was because he awoke a sleeping giant? :)

federerdomination
05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
One Reason: Soderling

maddogz32
05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
nadal wont win the french open this year because he just lost to soderling

fortunecookiesjc
05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
BP thread wins.. he called it

ShooterMcMarco
05-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Rafa should've went with the pirate pants and green shirt.

boojay
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
you called it, BP. Nicely done.

WacArnold's
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
To the OP:

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/political-pictures-stephen-colbert-epic-win.jpg

good job.

WacArnold's
05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/political-pictures-stephen-colbert-epic-win.jpg

edit

jamesblakefan#1
05-31-2009, 09:58 AM

Here's my #1 reason:

Reason #2:

Reason #3:

*slow clap*

Lionheart392
05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
BP is the GOAT.

Cesc Fabregas
05-31-2009, 10:02 AM
BreakPoint is going to be happy.

All-rounder
05-31-2009, 10:03 AM
WOW Break point
You really are a GURU :shock:

EtePras
05-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Biggest reason? A top 10 player on clay doesn't lose to soderling.

GasquetGOAT
05-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Break Point is GOAT for a reason! Well done, mate.

checkmilu
05-31-2009, 10:19 AM
So, the last reason is: there is someone who is not scare of Nadal and is on fire, thet guy is Robin Soderling!

Shangri La
05-31-2009, 10:20 AM
As muhc as I dont like Nadal, I'd rather see him make it to the final and get beaten by Federer.

Madhoshi22
05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I must say, well done sir haha

scineram
05-31-2009, 12:53 PM
So it was 1 and 2.

Cenc
05-31-2009, 01:35 PM
seems u were right
well done OP :P

tahiti
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't have thought that RAfa would be out already but I was doubtful whether he could do it a 5th time. It's a helluva ask for anyone considering the strong competition. However , I think it's mostly just too much tennis. Too much of anything can kill creativity. One good player to do the damage and an off day to bring to the court and bang. Dream over. Though it probably wasn't a dream anymore, just hello nightmare :)

danb
05-31-2009, 02:04 PM

Here's my #1 reason:

Reason #2:

Reason #3:

You were right.
Now please tell me the winning numbers for the California Lottery and you'll be my best friend. :)

Muzzafan
05-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Tell me great one, who will win the FO? :)

LanEvo
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Tell me great one, who will win the FO? :)

Roger Federer

BreakPoint
05-31-2009, 02:33 PM
WOW Break point
You really are a GURU :shock:
Thanks. They don't give that "Guru" title to just anybody you know. ;)

Like I said in my OP, NOBODY will be able to ever beat Borg's record of 5 straight Wimbledons or 4 straight French Opens. :)

BreakPoint
05-31-2009, 02:40 PM
BP thread wins.. he called it

you called it, BP. Nicely done.

To the OP:

good job.

BP is the GOAT.

BreakPoint is going to be happy.

Break Point is GOAT for a reason! Well done, mate.

You were right.

Aw shucks. :oops:

Thank you , thank you. :)

Gugafan
05-31-2009, 02:44 PM

LMAO....Typical Nadal fanboy

I say Nadal suffers an early upset to someone playing the match of his life (Warinka (sp?), Gonzalez) and never quite looks right. Keeps dropping the ball short and pays the price.

Good call here.

I actually feel the same way. I don't think either will be standing with the trophy at the end.

We have seen some unbelievable tennis from Nadal over the last few years. Last year was just out of this world the way he absolutely dominated the game between the lines. Glad I was able to witness it. However, although he is having a fantastic season this year (even better than last year), his FH has not been as dominating as last year. He has had several matches (including wins), where his FH is seriously landing short, and does not have the same effect as it has in the past. Like Federer, guys are figuring out they **can** attack his FH, and don't have to be afraid into only hitting to his BH, which I think is the best in the game.

I also believe the pressure of being number one, and possibly breaking Borg's records may begin to get to him.

I believe we are all due for a very interesting French Open, with some major upsest and new FO champion this year.

All that said, I have never seen anyone as hard-headed/stubborn on a tennis court as Nadal. The guy just absolutely refuses to lose a point, much less a match.

Spot on. Nadals forehand was certainly lacking bite at RG this year.

Thanks. They don't give that "Guru" title to just anybody you know. ;)

Like I said in my OP, NOBODY will be able to ever beat Borg's record of 5 straight Wimbledons or 4 straight French Opens. :)

Genious OP.....Sure you didnt use a genie to predict future outcomes in matches.

FlamEnemY
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't have thought that RAfa would be out already but I was doubtful whether he could do it a 5th time. It's a helluva ask for anyone considering the strong competition. However , I think it's mostly just too much tennis. Too much of anything can kill creativity. One good player to do the damage and an off day to bring to the court and bang. Dream over. Though it probably wasn't a dream anymore, just hello nightmare :)

You are right. Federer himself has said that he "created a monster", I guess Nadal also had a great burden on his shoulders... He is just human.

iamgoat
05-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Aw shucks. :oops:

Thank you , thank you. :)

mate, all the adulation you don't deseve. you didn't pick it. you made a thread about it. well in my alma matter, i made a thread titled excuses nadal fans will have when nadal loses FO 2009, so does that mean i picked it as well?

Rickson
05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
It was the curse of Borg!

davent123
06-01-2009, 12:58 AM
It was the curse of Borg!

Resistance is futile.....

sorry, I couldn't help it. LOL :)

sh@de
06-01-2009, 02:36 AM
OMG BP win!!! I never thought this would happen... :p.

Rickson
06-01-2009, 06:22 AM
The other Borg.

sureshs
06-01-2009, 09:38 AM
After 20,000+ posts, Breakpoint got one right finally (probably by fluke) :-)

King of Aces
06-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Here's my #1 reason:

Reason #2:

Reason #3:

I got to hand it to you breaky baby.....good prediction.

Now lets just see if Federer has the guts to win it.

If he does not I think he is finsihed.

Rickson
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
It should be smoothe sailing for Roger from here. Part of me hopes he doesn't win it because I don't want to see him cry.

King of Aces
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
It should be smoothe sailing for Roger from here. Part of me hopes he doesn't win it because I don't want to see him cry.

It really should be. everyone is gone.....if he doesnt win it then it will be the biggest choke in the world.

By the way I am going against the odds and picking a longshot.....Monfils.

vtmike
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
It really should be. everyone is gone.....if he doesnt win it then it will be the biggest choke in the world.

By the way I am going against the odds and picking a longshot.....Monfils.

YOU are not supporting Roger Federer? That is so shocking! :shock:

NOT!