PDA

View Full Version : Madrid Final: Fed Played better or Nadal Played worse?

user92626
05-18-2009, 03:34 PM
First a disclosure: I honestly like both guys but perhaps Nadal a little more for his perseverance. That said I think I am fair minded.

But did Fed really play better comparing to his recent time or Nadal play worse? I think it's the latter case. Fed played more or less with the same usual inconsistency, unreliable bh, and rarely amazing shots. But Nadal just quit retrieving a lot of ball and hit alot of easy short balls. It's usually very hard for anyone to win Nadal at the net or out-ralley him.

Not sure what happened.

AznHylite
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Well, even though I'm a huge Fed fan, I would say it was both. Fed displayed great tactics in that match, but Nadal also did not look like his usual dominant self.

DarthFed
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Um..the backhand held up, the serve was on, relied on the FH in the backhands place, utilized the drop..which he never does and did pretty good at net...what match were watching..give some credit

Guamanian G
05-18-2009, 03:59 PM
For once in a long time Federer looked very solid. He hasnt played that well in a while. but Nadal did look a little down...
so kinda both lol

user92626
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
So, the consensus so far is both. I agreed Fed's got his serve and dropshots. His bh was ok. His FH didn't generate any amazing winner that I could remember. What startled me was that Nadal couldn't hit pass Fed at the net. There was that rankless guy who played the net very well -- the game where Queen Sophia also attended -- who played serve and volley all day but couldn't handle Nadal's shots. I don't think Fed's netgame was like that guy's.

But I have to give Fed a lot of credit for keeping painting the baseline with his shots. I hardly ever see that many risky shots by any player, except Nadal. No wonder Nadal could only return short many times.

Lsmkenpo
05-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Federer's serve has returned to form, that is the difference between now and the the past year, and is the difference maker against the other top 3 players, if he can serve first and second as well as he has been, he is the best player in the world.

Nadal doesn't like to take serves on the rise he prefers to stand further back so he can hit a shot with more topspin, now that his serve has returned to form he is able to go on the offensive right away against Nadal and dictate play, he hasn't been able to do that since Wimbledon until now.

prosealster
05-18-2009, 04:20 PM
he also moved better than i have seen him in a while...i think that also helped him to cut down on his errors

sh@de
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
To OP, it was both. Nadal wasn't 100%, he was making more errors than he normally does, but Fed had a brilliant tactic. I don't think Fed played perfectly, he still sprayed forehands etc., but it was his excellent strategy that won him the game. So a bit of both.

Uncle Emmitt
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
nadal wasn't moving well after djokavic 4 hr match and having to play fed the next day. In GS's usually get a day of rest before final except US Open of course. Witha day off ( like Aussie Open ) Nadal's movement was good.

The shot Fed used that nobody is really talking about that helped him win was taking pace off inside in forehand and generating more heighth and topspin to that shot which takes it out of nadals backhand optimum hitting zone.

I would still say the smart bet to win RG would be Rafa but an upset is a possibility

RCizzle65
05-18-2009, 09:07 PM
A combination of both, Federer played more solid than usual, especially against his mental block, and Nadal was a bit tired, but this isn't a big excuse because he played the longest match in AO history and still beat Federer in the finals with little rest there as well.

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Nadal did not play his best because Federer did not allow him to use his forehand, while Federer took advantage of Nadal's predictability, and used it against Nadal.

Fatigue is not really an excuse when Nadal is THE fittest athlete on the tour, and it's not like he has not done something like this before.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
The conditions were too fast. That was a problem for why Nadal took so long to beat Djokovic. Nadal's serve wasn't good enough in this tournament to dominate and he refused to make adjustments on his return game. Way behind the baseline was a bad tactic in altitude. But I guess Nadal will never feel comfortable taking the ball early on the return.

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
The conditions were too fast. That was a problem for why Nadal took so long to beat Djokovic. Nadal's serve wasn't good enough in this tournament to dominate and he refused to make adjustments on his return game. Way behind the baseline was a bad tactic in altitude. But I guess Nadal will never feel comfortable taking the ball early on the return.

The AO is faster yet Nadal won there. Bad excuse.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
The AO is faster yet Nadal won there. Bad excuse.
Wrong. The conditions are the problem for Nadal. Fast and high bouncing is not usual conditions. Nadal was returning a lot of serves from above shoulder height here. In Australia, he was returning from a more comfortable position. Altitude is the problem and not the courts for Rafa. In particular, his return game.

luckyguy
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Both are correct.

LurkingGod
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
A bit of both, of course.

NamRanger
05-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Wrong. The conditions are the problem for Nadal. Fast and high bouncing is not usual conditions. Nadal was returning a lot of serves from above shoulder height here. In Australia, he was returning from a more comfortable position. Altitude is the problem and not the courts for Rafa. In particular, his return game.

So you're saying that Nadal sucks on clay?

The AO takes spin well, and is faster than the clay in Madrid. I don't care what you say; conditions were not too fast nor where they so hard that Nadal could not adjust to them. Federer adjusted fine to Nadal's serve, and was able to whack it all over the place.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
So you're saying that Nadal sucks on clay?

The AO takes spin well, and is faster than the clay in Madrid. I don't care what you say; conditions were not too fast nor where they so hard that Nadal could not adjust to them. Federer adjusted fine to Nadal's serve, and was able to whack it all over the place.
Fed steps in on his returns. The longer you wait on the return, the worse it gets in altitude. The ball doesn't drop enough from where Nadal's positioned. The kick serves were vicious in Madrid as well as the regular serve. Everyone mentioned how tough it was to return in Madrid. Regular clay is easy to return on as the ball slows down more and drops to where Nadal likes it. About chest height. Australian Open was not that high bouncing but it was pretty slow for a hardcourt.

IvanAndreevich
05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Fed steps in on his returns. The longer you wait on the return, the worse it gets in altitude. The ball doesn't drop enough from where Nadal's positioned. The kick serves were vicious in Madrid as well as the regular serve. Everyone mentioned how tough it was to return in Madrid. Regular clay is easy to return on as the ball slows down more and drops to where Nadal likes it. About chest height. Australian Open was not that high bouncing but it was pretty slow for a hardcourt.

Dude didn't you notice everyone struggle with ROS not ONLY Nadal? Djokovic was making so many errors off of weak Nadal serves it's not even funny.

Nadal_Freak
05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Dude didn't you notice everyone struggle with ROS not ONLY Nadal? Djokovic was making so many errors off of weak Nadal serves it's not even funny.
That's why I said everyone said it was tough to return serve. That is trouble as Nadal depends highly on breaking serve. His serve has been letting him down lately. I think his serve was better last year unfortunately.

Pwned
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM
That's why I said everyone said it was tough to return serve. That is trouble as Nadal depends highly on breaking serve. His serve has been letting him down lately. I think his serve was better last year unfortunately.
:-?:confused:

That's like saying Nadal depends highly on winning points. The same goes for everyone. Except Karlovich.

TheNatural
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Nadal was a few steps slower in this match, that made the difference, he couldn't get to the ball in time to execute as normal. And also he was slow to get to drop shots , a few steps slower than normal due to being worn out from the semi. The lower quality of shot due to Nadal being slower than ussual and tired let Fed get on the front foot and dictate more and also gave him confidence to come to net a bit, hit droppers etc.

But the same tactics won't work in Roland Garros when Nadal is Fresh as they get an extra day rest between each match.