PDA

View Full Version : A fans letter to Rog

tennis-hero
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Dear Rog,

ther comes a time in a mans life where he has to take a moment and either make it last forever or regret it for the rest of his life

This is your moment.

If you dont win RG this year, barring a miracle its never going to happen, your decline is well documented, Nadal's improvement have been steady to the point where he is too dominant- Djokovic and Murray have also caught up

Your talent alone is no longer going to win it for you.

There's one trophy missing from your case- If you win it, all GOAT arguments will end for the majority of the fans, if you don't then it's a blemish the haters will always throw in your face

Laver lost 16 times in 69, 3 slams were on grass, and most of his rivals were in retirement homes anyway- his Grand slam is a joke- he can't be considered as a GOAT, he was losing to Gonzales when Gonzales was in his 40s- thats what the critics say

Borg couldn't win a Hard court slam if his life depended on it, for all his mental toughness- the minute MAcenroe raised his game on grass and hard, Borg ran away retiring rather then facing the fact he was done, and MAc was the new superpower- thats what the critics say

Sampras was alergic to clay, even in 1996 when the baked courts of Paris played like harcourts, Pete couldn't get that allusive RG medal, hell he wasn't even the bridesmaid there, he never made a final, his Clay court record was ok for a journey man but for a GOAT candidate it was a huge blemish and destroyed any chance of his GOAT consideration

The critics have already written you off- they already think Rafa is better on all surfaces and question if you'll ever win another slam. This madrid tourney is a glimpse at what you're capable of, but who are we all kidding, these displays are the exception not the norm

You've probably got one more chance this year, and Rafa is hurting, he's wounded and he's weak- you know you can take Novak out- and Novak believes he can take NAdal out (he probably won't) but all the extra doubt in Nadal's mind will benefit you

in regard to clay- this is probably your US OPEN 2002

at the end of this year you wont be making regular finals, and after your child youll probably lose a year or 2, another step or two will be missing and there will be even younger talents to take you on, Nadal isn't going to decline either

you've got the tools to take Nadal out- you know what you need to do- convert Break points, its that simple

this then, really is your do or die moment

win it, and win it the way it should be won

take out your rival in the final and settle all GOAT arguments forever

regards

a Fan

gj011
05-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Wishful thinking.

Serve_Ace
05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
^Stop trolling

wangs78
05-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Roger should just play like there's no tomorrow. The more he thinks about his place in the history of tennis the more he suffers mental lapses. So don't put anymore pressure on him for Crissake!

P_Agony
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I know it's weird to hear, but I would rather him win his 6th USO or/and Wimbly instead of the French.

Roger, of course, would disagree with me and I hope he gives it his all in that tourny.

Pwned
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Poorly written and too 'black and white'.

tennis-hero
05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Poorly written and too 'black and white'.

IF i changed the name from Roger to Rafa

and if i made the setting the US OPEN

i would probably recieve the nobel award from *******s

:confused:

Pwned
05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Spelling errors and capitalization errors.

tennis-hero
05-18-2009, 05:12 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PZ-J57NWAyg/SBjfima4O_I/AAAAAAAABf0/iEuvii1VvNM/s400/PawnGameofLife.jpg

Pwned
05-18-2009, 05:20 PM
More importantly though it is too black and white in my opinion.

tennis-hero
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM

i disagree

i think its do or die time for roger

how many more times is he going to have enough in the tank to get through 2 weeks of the rough RG climate

Djoker is kicking major *** everywhere- HC contender- clay contender, Jokes just needs to do well on grass and he's an all courter

Murray has Fed's number

its scary times

Fed's hit some form, he needs to convert now or never

Pete had 92-96

after 96 everyone expected him to go from strength to strength

he didn't

this is sorta like that

in a way, i kinda hope the courts playa bit faster

on super slow RG, NAdal is gonna be murdering everyone

rubberduckies
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Roger will be touched because he'll think it came from either a small child, a 'special' person, or a very gifted ape.

tennis-hero
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Roger will be touched because he'll think it came from either a small child, a 'special' person, or a very gifted ape.

LOL

and yet, its still better then anything you've ever posted on TTW

:oops:

tudwell
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM

There's blue around the edges.

wangs78
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM

LOL 10 chars

Pwned
05-18-2009, 06:29 PM

A step up from your posts. :wink:

TheNatural
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Hero why do you make reference to players of the past that you have never seen play. Your posts may be more useful if you stuck to commenting on players you've seen, which is probably just the players from the last 2-3 years:shock:

drakulie
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Hero why do you make reference to players of the past that you have never seen play. Your posts may be more useful if you stuck to commenting on players you've seen, which is probably just the players from the last 2-3 years:shock:

Quiet! You've never seen Sampras play and you have him in your avatar.

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/ajx23_2008/funny.gif

sh@de
05-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Like you? 10 chars.

Povl Carstensen
05-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Pathetic and sleazy-melodramatic...

aphex
05-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Quiet! You've never seen Sampras play and you have him in your avatar.

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/ajx23_2008/funny.gif

http://softeuropean.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/slap.jpg

Underhand
05-19-2009, 02:59 AM
My tear sacs have exploded.

Blade0324
05-19-2009, 07:26 AM
IF i changed the name from Roger to Rafa

and if i made the setting the US OPEN

i would probably recieve the nobel award from *******s

:confused:

NO, you would be an idiot tool no matter who's name you put at the top.

joeri888
05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't send this to him if I were you. He gets tons of letters like these and he knows what he's gotta do. How would you like it if some people you didn't know wrote you letters every day to tell you that you have to do something now because your deteriotating and won't be able to do it next year, you old crippled man! It's no fun to read that, and Federer won't take anything from letters like these. If there's one guy that knows his stuff about tennis history it's Roger Federer.

cknobman
05-19-2009, 09:01 AM
LOL

and yet, its still better then anything you've ever posted on TTW

:oops:

I second this.

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Horrendous punctuation aside, I think there's something to the OP. It is of course less and less likely as Federer ages that he can endure best of 5 on the dirt against younger opponents. And being married now and having a kid isn't going to increase his focus. (Hewitt, anyone?)

I agree with the sentiment. For Fans of the sublime tennis that Rog produced for five years, putting him at number one, it would be gratifying to see him get the one that got away a few times. It's not about how he stacks up against others, it's about seeing him push himself and continue to produce winning stuff. If losing No. 1 and the Wimby crown doesn't motivate him, then it's hard to imagine what will. In that sense, yes, this is the moment.

I'd like to see it happen.

fanofed
05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Like someone said too black and white. He only needs one more slam to be better then Pete since he can actually play on clay and if he wins 2 he will put it beyond any critic. The french would be nice though.

Sentinel
05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Nice sentiments.

Ignore the trolls, though.

CMM
01-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Dear Rog,

ther comes a time in a mans life where he has to take a moment and either make it last forever or regret it for the rest of his life

This is your moment.

If you dont win RG this year, barring a miracle its never going to happen, your decline is well documented, Nadal's improvement have been steady to the point where he is too dominant- Djokovic and Murray have also caught up

Your talent alone is no longer going to win it for you.

There's one trophy missing from your case- If you win it, all GOAT arguments will end for the majority of the fans, if you don't then it's a blemish the haters will always throw in your face

Laver lost 16 times in 69, 3 slams were on grass, and most of his rivals were in retirement homes anyway- his Grand slam is a joke- he can't be considered as a GOAT, he was losing to Gonzales when Gonzales was in his 40s- thats what the critics say

Borg couldn't win a Hard court slam if his life depended on it, for all his mental toughness- the minute MAcenroe raised his game on grass and hard, Borg ran away retiring rather then facing the fact he was done, and MAc was the new superpower- thats what the critics say

Sampras was alergic to clay, even in 1996 when the baked courts of Paris played like harcourts, Pete couldn't get that allusive RG medal, hell he wasn't even the bridesmaid there, he never made a final, his Clay court record was ok for a journey man but for a GOAT candidate it was a huge blemish and destroyed any chance of his GOAT consideration

The critics have already written you off- they already think Rafa is better on all surfaces and question if you'll ever win another slam. This madrid tourney is a glimpse at what you're capable of, but who are we all kidding, these displays are the exception not the norm

You've probably got one more chance this year, and Rafa is hurting, he's wounded and he's weak- you know you can take Novak out- and Novak believes he can take NAdal out (he probably won't) but all the extra doubt in Nadal's mind will benefit you

in regard to clay- this is probably your US OPEN 2002

at the end of this year you wont be making regular finals, and after your child youll probably lose a year or 2, another step or two will be missing and there will be even younger talents to take you on, Nadal isn't going to decline either

you've got the tools to take Nadal out- you know what you need to do- convert Break points, its that simple

this then, really is your do or die moment

win it, and win it the way it should be won

take out your rival in the final and settle all GOAT arguments forever

regards

a Fan

http://i45.tinypic.com/72aesp.gif

kishnabe
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Hmm wow, very sentimental!

borg number one
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I know the writer obviously has a great deal of love/respect for Roger Federer, and it's a nice way to try and inspire Federer. I can totally relate to that.

Yet, as the previous poster, or posters have noted, it's WAY too black and white. There's just too much hyperbole in there, which lessens its effectiveness.

For example, Sampras was not "allergic" to clay. He went far in one French Open and won a big Davis Cup match on clay, for example.

Then, here's one paragraph, which tends to perpetuate a myth:

"Borg couldn't win a Hard court slam if his life depended on it, for all his mental toughness- the minute MAcenroe raised his game on grass and hard, Borg ran away retiring rather then facing the fact he was done, and MAc was the new superpower- thats what the critics say.."

Guess what, his "life" was somewhat in danger in the 1981 US Open. Just look up "death threats" after his straight set semifinal win over Connors that year. By the way, he won, I believe 7 of his 63 tournaments, on hard courts. Plus, he was severely injured during his 1978 US Open final loss vs. Connors when he could hardly lift up his arm to hit serves. Injuries are a part of the Game, but, most people don't realize little details like that..

Then, of course, you have the following other factors, burnout, followed by a refusal of Tour Organizers to allow him to play less than 10 official tournaments in 1982, or it would lead to him having to QUALIFY for the majors..

So, there's another example of "too black and white", as the writer says, "he was done, and Mac was the new superpower".

In actuality, you had a brewing fight at the top between two all time greats. As an example, Borg won the French in 1980 and 1981, and the 1981 Masters (the YEC back then, and effectively a 4th Major for the times). Borg was 7-7 vs. McEnroe head to head, on ONLY fast surfaces, no red clay, his WORST head to head with ANY player. That's hardly yielding to the new "superpower". It's MUCH more complicated than that. Give me a break..