PDA

View Full Version : Can Del Potro go deep into Roland Garros and upset top seeds?

bdawg
05-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Djokovic said that Del Potro likes to play at the same pace. If so, he can't make it far against any player with variety.

Can Del Potro defeat top players like Federer, nadal , and Murray in a 5 set setting?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Great question. We've seen him have some brilliant matches against top players but he fails to upset the next opponent. If DP could play like he did against Murray then he definitely has a shot. But we have to wait and see.

Gugafan
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Del Potro does not have the defensive skills to hang with the top 3-4, especially over 5 sets with the relatively slower conditions of RG. Tall and gangly players like Del Potro and Cillic are not the most efficient movers on a claycourt..Period.

*new avatar baby*

Leublu tennis
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Djokovic said that Del Potro likes to play at the same pace. If so, he can't make it far against any player with variety.

Can Del Potro defeat top players like Federer, nadal , and Murray in a 5 set setting?Federer and Nadal, no. Murray, for sure. But he is not likely to meet Murray who will die in his usual R2.

bluetrain4
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know. He definitely has the physical weapons, but I think the slightly faster court in Madrid helped.

Also, he's a good mover for a big guy, but not a great mover, and the matches will be best of 5 sets.

Finally, I'm not sure about his competitiveness. It seems to come and go.

If he can get "hot" and serve well enough to get some free points or at least set up some easy midcourt balls, he could do well, but I'm still thinking QFs at best.

Serendipitous
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM
The only top seed I see Juan Martin Del Potro upsetting is Murray.

Nadal and Djokovic are playing extremely well on clay, and Federer is a horrible match up for Del Potro because he has too much variety and power.

Regardless, Del Potro will probably make at least the quarter-finals.