PDA

View Full Version : Should Ferrer switch to a more modern frame?

redfred
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Am i the only one who notices that Ferrer uses some old 1980's grandma racket when he plays or do the rest of you guys notice that too?

vsbabolat
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Actually Ferrer uses the TT Warrior from 2001.

ollinger
05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Are you the only one who thinks a physically unimpressive 5'9" Ferrer reached a #4 ranking a year ago by using the wrong equipment?

vsbabolat
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
10 characters.

paulorenzo
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
it's not the tt warrior from a few years back, although it looks as though it is.
it's the new prince vendetta something or the other.
either way, both look big and bulky.

andreev_forehand
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
The vendetta looks exactly the same as the tt warrior except with the word "vendetta" painted on the inside of the hoop and a red vibration dampener thing instead of clear. I play w the warrior and it's perfect (and very cheap) except it's a bit light for my taste.

andreev_forehand
05-18-2009, 07:53 PM
One of the last respectable prince frames to come into existence before they decided to punch holes in them all.

Kirko
05-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Are you the only one who thinks a physically unimpressive 5'9" Ferrer reached a #4 ranking a year ago by using the wrong equipment?

very very well put. what a stupid question its up there with federer changing to a larger racket.

Spinmasterj
05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Physically unimpressive...are we you talking about the same Ferrer I am thinking of... he may not be tall but the guy is a monster of an athlete

andreev_forehand
05-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Physically unimpressive...are we you talking about the same Ferrer I am thinking of... he may not be tall but the guy is a monster of an athlete

Yeah I was going to comment on that previous comment too. I'm not sure that you can call this physically unimpressive:
http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/david-ferrer-daviscup08a.jpg

Especially by tennis player standards. His arms look bigger than Nadal's here, you just can't usually see them. And on top of that he's one of the top players in terms of speed/endurance.

Rabbit
05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

You owe me a monitor.....

That was great!

redfred
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not saying that ferrer is not a beast of an athlete or at all doubting his athletic abilities. i just feel that he would perform better with a more modern frame.i mean why not give it a try.he has nothing to lose.

Raiha
05-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm not saying that ferrer is not a beast of an athlete or at all doubting his athletic abilities. i just feel that he would perform better with a more modern frame.i mean why not give it a try.he has nothing to lose.

nothing to lose except for his top 20 in the world ranking. what do you call a modern frame and how are they better?
btw you aren't the one who said ferrer was physically unimpressive so you really only have one ridiculous statement to defend.

this thread is up there with the fed 95" switch, if there was something lower than one star this would get it.

redfred
05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
ohh im sorry.i forgot about all the tournament that ferrer has been winning.ohh wait thats right he hasnt!!! maybe if he switched to something that wasnt a decade old he would have a better chance.

iamgoat
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
You should realise that the majority of pros use old racquets NOT the new frames.

Just BJ's. I mean PJ's.

vsbabolat
05-19-2009, 07:23 PM
it's not the tt warrior from a few years back, although it looks as though it is.
it's the new prince vendetta something or the other.
either way, both look big and bulky.

The TT Warrior and the Vandetta are the same racquet. The only difference is one has Vandetta written on and a red elastomer in the bridge.

iamgoat
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
ohh im sorry.i forgot about all the tournament that ferrer has been winning.ohh wait thats right he hasnt!!! maybe if he switched to something that wasnt a decade old he would have a better chance.

maybe you should switch to the new head racquets and maybe you will beat David ferrer!!!

paulorenzo
05-19-2009, 08:14 PM
The TT Warrior and the Vandetta are the same racquet. The only difference is one has Vandetta written on and a red elastomer in the bridge.

both are non-player, excessively light, hollow, easily-breakable, but i guess forgiving frames then; with my opinion on the original tt warrior. since both are the same.
ferrer should get the mold of the spectrum comp 90. it's as accessible as a POG but with a 14x16 pattern on a 90 sq inch head. it's also a pretty clean looking frame.

LPShanet
05-25-2009, 11:27 PM

For the sake of this thread (and many others like it), let's stop for a second and try to make a list of all of the top 10 (or even top 20) players in the Open era who have made a racquet switch that caused a major improvement in their games. We can asterisk the ones who switched to a notable new technology. Shouldn't be too hard...I don't think it's a very long list. Maybe there's a reason for that.

As for racquet construction technology, it is essentially unchanged in the last 15+ years, so a racquet's age isn't really a factor. In fact, a large number of pros are using 10+ year old racquets with paint jobs to match current cosmetics. The layups and molds are essentially based on the same materials and techniques as they have been, and marketing has been the main factor in the repeated changes to the leading manufacturer's lines.

(You could actually expand that list described above to "in history" rather than just the "open era" without much trouble, since prior to the open era, there were essentially no significant advances in racquet technology.)