PDA

View Full Version : No real GOAT

Mikey Fresh
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
The game has evolved over time and I belive that there are players that are good at the era they played but how can you compare the flat style of game with 70 sq in wood rackets to the heavy spin with 100 sq in head that is played now?

charliefedererer
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
If Laver and Borg could be so precise with their tiny little racquets, just think how good they would be with a "modern" frame.
Watch some video of them. Better yet, watch several old matches. I think you'll begin to get the idea.

Mikey Fresh
05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
But if lavar and sampras are playing each other in there prime sampras wont be use to the flat style and lavar wont be able to the spin

Mikey Fresh
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
be use to*

martini1
05-18-2009, 08:00 PM
If Laver and Borg could be so precise with their tiny little racquets, just think how good they would be with a "modern" frame.
Watch some video of them. Better yet, watch several old matches. I think you'll begin to get the idea.

Different game we are talking about here. The speed and power of today's game is so different from the past. The mind game is also different. It's really hard to say who is better. But in a given generation if one guy can dominate the rest for the majority of time I'd say that guy is GOAT material. It is unfair to compare one generation to the other as if they are H2H.

tennis-hero
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
5ft 8

Michael Chang- 5ft 9

LOL :twisted:

During the 80s, 90s and today

Rod laver wouldn't get past the 1st round of any slam

Had Michael Chang been taller, he would have achieved as much as NAdal

Mikey Fresh
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Different game we are talking about here. The speed and power of today's game is so different from the past. The mind game is also different. It's really hard to say who is better. But in a given generation if one guy can dominate the rest for the majority of time I'd say that guy is GOAT material. It is unfair to compare one generation to the other as if they are H2H.

Thus there is no real goat there are just players that are good for there generation

Tennis Dunce
05-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Borg or Laver...its a pick 'em.

gpt
05-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Laver won majors on every surface yet was ineligible for 5 years as pro and through player boycotts etc (22+ majors).
Rosewall also won majors on every surface and missed 10 years worth (at least 42 majors) for the same reasons. Both were in their prime when they missed those events. Those are huge numbers of major events missed. There is no GOAT. It is a totally abstract argument.

timnz
05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Rod laver wouldn't get past the 1st round of any slam

Yes the game is quite different now. But what isn't different is the need for skill at the top level. I believe that Laver if he had been starting out with the current generation would have adapted his game to the current conditions and equipment.

Court Speed, Anticipation, Courage under fire - are all qualities that transcend the generations.

gpt
05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Exactly timnz. Well said