PDA

View Full Version : First tournament next week

scez
03-16-2005, 05:31 PM
It is my first tournament next friday on March 25. It is a rookie tournament sponsered by Rogers called hte Rogers rookie cup. I am awhare that I will probably lose, and pretty horribly at that since it is my first tournament and I know I will probably be very nervous. My coach said that there will be people there who are worse and better then me. I believe it is one set games, and you are quaranteed three matches. So I hope to win atleast one, and hopefully actually move onto something.

What items should I bring with me to the tournament? I am not paranoid that I bring a bunch of raquets and extra string. And can you guys give me some tips and strategies. And tell me about some usefull rules I should now, I do know most of them though. Thx in advance.

ragnaROK
03-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Make sure you're well prepared of course and in good condition. Check all your equipment. Bring your rackets and make sure to bring lots of water and some energy drink type stuff if you use that. Extra pair of socks, towel, change of clothes, sunscreen, bagels or bananas for quick carbs. As for the playing itself, don't worry too much about results in your first tourney. Go out there and have fun. As for strategy, at that level, usually the more consistant guy wins. So just try to get more balls in than your opponent. Have fun.

MegacedU
03-16-2005, 06:33 PM
MUSIC and gatorade - the keys to life. Kidding but in the tournament's I've played in, there's a lot of waiting involved. Of course they're all USTA sanctioned and there's tons of confusion but overall, tourny's are a good time. Make sure you eat well the night before and supply yourself with tons of gatorade. The fruit punch is good luck.

I agree with ragnarok - be consistent and just worry about keeping the ball in play.

When you're done completely with the tournament, say optimistically like you lost in the FINAL match. Still go check in with the director after the match. Usually they have trophies for the winner and the finalist. My very first usta tournament this happened to me, I went to go drive home, and my opponent was like, oh they'll have a trophy for you too. So go check that out, if they're doing the whole trophy thing, some tourny's dont even do it.

Good Luck and keep your confidence up, it'll make all the difference.
-Meg.

scez
03-16-2005, 07:33 PM
thx, but I live in canada, so no USTA, but the OTA. But music is a good idea, I should get a lock though if I am going ot bring my ipod.

sebastiaN911
03-16-2005, 08:49 PM
hey where in canada u from?

scez
03-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Toronto, the tournament is at mayfair east if you know where that is.

Geezer Guy
03-17-2005, 09:01 AM
scez - Main thing, as others have said, is to have fun and treat this as a learning experience. Don't put pressure on yourself. There was lots of good info from other posters above - the only thing I would add is that you can often scope out your next opponent after you finish your match. When you turn in your scores, try to find out who you'll be playing next. If you can determine that you're going to play the winner or loser of a match that's in progress, you can watch that match and see how your next opponent plays. Look for what he does well and what he does poorly, and develop a game plan accordingly. Good Luck!

MegacedU
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Lol - I keep forgetting that there are people from other countries here. Here's to nationalism.

scez
03-17-2005, 02:58 PM
isnt nationalism when you want your country to grow and take over other countries land? I am doing this in history, but it is applied. Thx for the advice guys. Maybe I will get my cousin to have a stand offering free chocholate, but the people will not know that is it choco lax.

MegacedU
03-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Nationalism is pride in one's nation. At least that's what they tell us here in the College Board's Advanced Placement American History. You're thinking Imperialiam. :)

goober
03-17-2005, 08:08 PM
I am playing in a tournament this weekend and my first round opponent is a guy that has won a bunch of 4.0 USTA tourneys in this area over the last year. This probably means he should be a 4.5, but oh well it will still be fun.

AndrewD
03-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Its only a one set match so you dont need to worry about tie-break rules. Just make sure you check the net before you start your warm-up (you'd be surprised how many times people dont and its too high or low). Just remember the basics. You toss and choose to receive, serve or pick the end (then they get choice of serving or receiving). If you think you might be nervous you might elect to receive first up. Oh, and dont forget the value of calling out the score after each point. It saves a lot of arguments.

Good luck and let us know how you went.

scez
03-18-2005, 07:12 AM
I will say waht happens, are there any etiquete <sp?> things I should do?

Geezer Guy
03-18-2005, 07:51 AM
I will say waht happens, are there any etiquete <sp?> things I should do?

Wow - HUGE question. I'll just say, don't be a jerk. If you're not 100% POSITIVE the ball is OUT, call it IN. Call out the score before every 1st serve. After the match, win or lose, compliment your opponent on what they did well. If you win, don't give them a bunch of unsolicited advice. If you lose, don't make ANY excuses. Some people don't like to chit-chat during change-overs. I don't generally start any conversations, but will chit-chat if they want to.

Just have fun - don't take the thing too seriously.

scez
03-18-2005, 08:59 AM
I usually say the ball is in if I am not sure, or I stalled. Dont want people to think I am cheating. At this clinic I do the person even said I called in for some balls that were out.

MegacedU
03-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Good. The worst thing in the world is a stingey line caller. 99% out is 100% in.

Boja
03-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Good luck in the tourney, Mayfair East was the place where I won my first OTA match, actually. Since then I haven't played an OTA match in over two years. it's funny how time flies.

But back on topic, just relax and remember your game plan, and try not to rush, because if you rush, that'll lead to some errors. Be consistent and use your weapons when you get the opportunity.

Other than that, have fun.

scez
03-27-2005, 05:00 AM
The tournament is today, my first match is at 12:30. Wish me luck :D

fedex27
03-27-2005, 06:39 AM
talk about the kids sister and his mom duringthe change overs

scez
03-27-2005, 06:53 AM
lol, I should bring an old racquet and break it during the warm up. He will think that I must be damn good if I have an ego to do that.

scez
03-27-2005, 11:40 AM
The tournament isnt over, but I have a long time until my next match so I came home. I lost my first match 6-0 in around 20 minutes :p I was nervous and was at the court right by the windows. Then 1 hour and 30 minutes later I had my second round, I was not nervous and used to how the things work and I wont 6-0 :p But I feel bad for the guy because I played like an A** hole, a mix between pusher/counter puncher. Since one guy was missing from my box, I made it to the quarter finals :D But I am scared because I have seen some of the other guys and they are pretty damn good, the one guy has Rodick's hat and racquet. He even plays like him, strong serve and forhand.

scez
03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, it seems I wasnt in the quarter finals because they added all the wins and I was a couple of games away. But I was quaranteed 3 matches so I played someone and beat them 6-4. So, I lost 6-0, won 6-0, won 6-4, and won one by default.

matchpoints
03-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Good Job scez! Did you have a good time?

scez
03-27-2005, 04:31 PM
ya... A lot of waiting. There was one guy there who is in a sunday clinic with me. I know he lost his first two matches, but I went home for a bit so I dont know about his third round. But after the first match I really became a counter puncher/ pusher :p

I was really scared when the person I played second had all this nice cloths and a real player's racquet. Good thing he couldnt use it :)

goober
03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
I was really scared when the person I played second had all this nice cloths and a real player's racquet. Good thing he couldnt use it :)

Heh- I played in a tournament last weekend and also had a guy with 3 ncode n61 95s in his bag and was decked out in Fila gear. He looked at my racquet and asked what kind of racquet was that. I was using a Wilson Surge which he didn't recognize and probably thought was a low end racquet like the Torch. But like the fellow you played this guys game definitely didn't match his racquet and clothes, I ended up winning easily 6-1, 6-1.

scez
04-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Yesterday and today I am in a tournament. Yesterday I had one match, where you play as many games in 45 minutes. This guy was amazing. I knew I lost when he had three of my rackets (lm radical) in his bag, and his dad video taping even when we were practicing. He had a crazy serve and forhand. I had never played against someone this good. Good thing he only beat me 12 -1 :p But I later went on the ota website and found out that he has played in ALOT of tournaments and all of them were under 12/14 provincinals/nationals. And today I get to play against the person who won the tournament I was in last week. Then I have to wait four hours for my next match after that.