PDA

View Full Version : Rafa Qualifies !!!!!!!!!!!

nadal
05-19-2009, 01:39 AM
London, United Kingdom – Tickets to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals have gone on public sale today as reigning ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal becomes the first player to qualify for the season finale. Starting November 22 at The O2 arena in London, the prestigious tournament is the climax of the men’s professional tennis season and will feature the world’s top eight singles players and eight doubles teams competing to be officially crowned as the 2009 ATP World Tour Champions.

• The Barclays ATP World Tour Finals is the flagship event and season climax of the ATP World Tour coming to London this November
• All players play a minimum of three round-robin matches that lead to the semi-finals and final.
• More than 150,000 tickets already sold for the event; 65,000 tickets to go on public sale today
• Tournament will be the biggest indoor tennis event in the world, ever
• $5 million in total prize money, and 1500 South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings points at stake for the winner
• Tournament to be broadcast live with media partners Sky Sports and BBC
• 40th Anniversary year of the tournament

Nadal, the reigning ATP World Tour Champion, has qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the fifth consecutive year after a brilliant start to the season. The 22-year-old Spaniard won his sixth Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January and three ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles in Indian Wells, Monte-Carlo, Rome as well as reaching the final in Madrid. Nadal also won a fifth consecutive title in Barcelona and will enter Roland Garros as the overwhelming favourite, where he will attempt to win a record fifth straight crown.

"I am very happy to have officially qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals. To qualify for the event in London is great as it was one of my goals of the season and clearly something important that shows that this season has already been a great success for me. London is a city that brings me great memories since last year I won Wimbledon and Queen's and the fans have really supported me each year that I've played there. I am really looking forward to this fantastic event that I am sure will be a great success," said Nadal.

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Your point is???? Just to start another meaningless flame war? Hopefully he wont be too tired and pull out this yr. There, I started it.

batz
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I already got my tickets for the finals woo-hoo!

babbette
05-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Your point is???? Just to start another meaningless flame war? Hopefully he wont be too tired and pull out this yr. There, I started it.

the point is to celebrate, chill. :p

accusations about flame wars and trolling are used too often too quickly on this forum. Where is the love?

I can't wait to see him, greet him outside the 02 in the cold November chill.

Underhand
05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Why is it indoor, not on grass in Wimbledon?

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Alright, I'll chill. Congrats to Rafa, great acomplisment at this point in the season, after only 1 slam. Hopefully all the Fed fans do too, but I'm not holding my breath.

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Why is it indoor, not on grass in Wimbledon?

Grass during the winter? I don't think that'd go too well.

batz
05-19-2009, 01:59 AM

You make a reasonable point but November is still Autumn in the UK - in the South of England grass is often sown in the Autumn and will grow into December sometimes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that his question isn't as daft as you might think.

Underhand
05-19-2009, 02:02 AM

It works for the football (soccer) leagues.

jelle v
05-19-2009, 02:11 AM
To qualify for the event in London is great as it was one of my goals of the season

How dare he set himself goals.. Veroniquem burn him!

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Great achievement so early on in the season well done Nadal.

joeri888
05-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Well done Rafa, though it's not really big news as all four of the big guys will defenitely qualify.

Josherer
05-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Pointless thread.

babbette
05-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Pointless thread.

hmmm, not really since most of us are tired of talking about the Madrid final, this bit of news brings a bit of sunshine. He qualified early, yet another great achievement. He just doesn't stop with the great achievements....he makes me sick actually. :p

Roland
05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Is this the earliest anyone has ever qualified? I'm pretty sure Fed set the record a few years back, but then again, the points system has changed making it easier for big tournament winners to qualify earlier.
I think when Fed did it, it was somewhere just after W, IIRC.

sureshs
05-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Is there a possibility that Fed will not qualify?

joeri888
05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Is there a possibility that Fed will not qualify?

Theoretically, I think if he gets injured now he won't qualify. Wasn't it a rule btw that Slam Winners qualify as well automatically?

woodrow1029
05-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Theoretically, I think if he gets injured now he won't qualify. Wasn't it a rule btw that Slam Winners qualify as well automatically?

1) Selection List
. The selection list for the event shall be:
a)

The top seven (7) players in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of the
Monday after the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year; followed
by
b)

Up to two (2) Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions, positioned
between #8 and #20 in the South African Airways ATP
Rankings as of that Monday; followed by
c)

Players positioned eight and below in the South African Airways ATP
Rankings as of that Monday.

cknobman
05-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Maybe hell actually attend this year.

TheNatural
05-19-2009, 08:15 AM
London, United Kingdom – Tickets to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals have gone on public sale today as reigning ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal becomes the first player to qualify for the season finale. Starting November 22 at The O2 arena in London, the prestigious tournament is the climax of the men’s professional tennis season and will feature the world’s top eight singles players and eight doubles teams competing to be officially crowned as the 2009 ATP World Tour Champions.

• The Barclays ATP World Tour Finals is the flagship event and season climax of the ATP World Tour coming to London this November
• All players play a minimum of three round-robin matches that lead to the semi-finals and final.
• More than 150,000 tickets already sold for the event; 65,000 tickets to go on public sale today
• Tournament will be the biggest indoor tennis event in the world, ever
• $5 million in total prize money, and 1500 South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings points at stake for the winner
• Tournament to be broadcast live with media partners Sky Sports and BBC
• 40th Anniversary year of the tournament

Nadal, the reigning ATP World Tour Champion, has qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the fifth consecutive year after a brilliant start to the season. The 22-year-old Spaniard won his sixth Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January and three ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles in Indian Wells, Monte-Carlo, Rome as well as reaching the final in Madrid. Nadal also won a fifth consecutive title in Barcelona and will enter Roland Garros as the overwhelming favourite, where he will attempt to win a record fifth straight crown.

"I am very happy to have officially qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals. To qualify for the event in London is great as it was one of my goals of the season and clearly something important that shows that this season has already been a great success for me. London is a city that brings me great memories since last year I won Wimbledon and Queen's and the fans have really supported me each year that I've played there. I am really looking forward to this fantastic event that I am sure will be a great success," said Nadal.

That's Brilliant.How did he qualify so fast? Did they already count this years Rolad Garros title? :)

Are the championships going to be on hard courts?

Staiger
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Does this tournment mean anything apart from the money ! , it doesnt mean you are the best player if you win it.

Only GS justify how good a player really are ?

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Is this played hardcourts or on grass?

batz
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Is this played hardcourts or on grass?

Indoor hard.

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Indoor hard.

Cheers.

10 char

batz
05-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Cheers.

10 char

No worries mate.

woodrow1029
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Roger won the last End of year masters.

So doesn't that make him the reigning world tour champion?

Rafa didn't even play it?
Which year are you talking about?

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah Djokovic won last yr.

MajinX
05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, I may have my year mixed up.

Happy to be called out. Takes a big man to admit when he is wrong!

lol at the last part, and the year end gets you 1500 points if you win, its the biggest tournament in points right after the grandslams... 1500 points can easily bump number 8 to number 6 or number 2 to number 1, and etc. plus its the most unique tournament there is, if u wanna see the best of the best and wanna see them play more than one match this is where u should go.

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
London, United Kingdom – Tickets to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals have gone on public sale today as reigning ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal becomes the first player to qualify for the season finale.
Huh? How is Nadal the "reigning ATP World Tour Champion"? :confused:

Djokovic won the ATP Master's Cup in Shanghai last year so he's the reigning champion.

CCNM
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Congratulations!!! I hope he plays in this one.

woodrow1029
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Huh? How is Nadal the "reigning ATP World Tour Champion"? :confused:

Djokovic won the ATP Master's Cup in Shanghai last year so he's the reigning champion.
He pulled that quote from the ATP website. The new term for the person that finishes the year #1 is the ATP World Tour Champion. That is not the same as the TMC Champion.

imalil2gangsta4u
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Hopefully this years will be better than last years. I thought the only person that played was Joker, and Murray for a few matches.

babolat141
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
No way he qualified!?!?!?!? Whew i was so worried about him not making it hes been doing so bad lately.

(sarcasm)

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
He pulled that quote from the ATP website. The new term for the person that finishes the year #1 is the ATP World Tour Champion. That is not the same as the TMC Champion.
OK, I see. Strange terminology, IMO. Why not just say - "The #1 ranked player in the world Nadal"? I mean, you can be ranked #1 without being the champion of much of anything. Just look at the WTA Tour for the past couple of years.

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Great news! How nice to qualify so early. I hope he'll play it as the #1 too.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow, he qualified?

The suspense was killing me. Now I can finally sleep at night knowing that Nadal barely scraped together enough points to be in a position to enter the Masters Cup. Be still, my heart. :roll:

Seriously, though. Congrats, Rafa!

What this goes to show is how far ahead of the competition he is so far.

I really hope he plays this year!

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
^^^^^
You automatically qualify by winning a Grand Slam. Since Nadal won the Australian Open, he already qualified by the end of the AO final. He doesn't even have to play the rest of the year nor be ranked in the Top 8 to be in the Master's Cup.

woodrow1029
05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
^^^^^
You automatically qualify by winning a Grand Slam. Since Nadal won the Australian Open, he already qualified by the end of the AO final. He doesn't even have to play the rest of the year nor be ranked in the Top 8 to be in the Master's Cup.
You do not automatically qualify by winning a grand slam.

MajinX
05-19-2009, 09:24 PM

yea u do....

BreakPoint
05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Did they just change the rules? Because that's the way it was for a long time with the Master's Cup and its predecessors.

For example, Gaudio qualified for the Master's Cup in 2004 even though he was not in the Top 8, but because he won the French Open that year.

woodrow1029
05-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Did they just change the rules? Because that's the way it was for a long time with the Master's Cup and its predecessors.

For example, Gaudio qualified for the Master's Cup in 2004 even though he was not in the Top 8, but because he won the French Open that year.
I posted the rules above. The top 7 are automatically in. Then if there is a grand slam winner between #8 and #20, that person qualifies.

woodrow1029
05-20-2009, 07:29 AM
yea u do....
No you don't.. See the quote from the ATP rule book on the first page..

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I posted the rules above. The top 7 are automatically in. Then if there is a grand slam winner between #8 and #20, that person qualifies.

Thats rare usually a slam winner is in the top 3.

woodrow1029
05-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Thats rare usually a slam winner is in the top 3.
Yes it's rare especially over the last several years. But it happens, and the point is that you don't automatically qualify by winning a major.

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks, but I think for all intents and purposes, if you win a Grand Slam you're in the Tour Finals. I mean how realistic is it for a Grand Slam winner to be ranked outside of the Top 20 by the end of the year? Not very.

thetaxman
05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Didn't he qualify after the AO itself??

woodrow1029
05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks, but I think for all intents and purposes, if you win a Grand Slam you're in the Tour Finals. I mean how realistic is it for a Grand Slam winner to be ranked outside of the Top 20 by the end of the year? Not very.
Like I said, it's rare, and Ivanisevic was, I believe, the last person that was outside of the top #20. At that time, the rule was, the highest ranked player to win a grand slam outside of the top 7 would qualify. Now, it's not.

batz
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Didn't he qualify after the AO itself??

No, he was nowhere near qualifying at that point because if he stopped playing at the end of Oz he would only have had 2000 points by the time London came around. Ain't no way 2000 points is qualifying.

gj011
05-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Goran Ivanisevic 2001. So it happened before.

gj011
05-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Although to be fair, currently #20 ranked player (Berdych) has 1970 points which is less than 2000 you get for the GS win alone.

So just winning one GS tournament alone, could keep player ranked top 20 for a full year.

batz
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Although to be fair, currently #20 ranked player (Berdych) has 1970 points which is less than 2000 you get for the GS win alone.

So just winning one GS tournament alone, could keep player ranked top 20 for a full year.

Good point gj.

thetaxman
05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
No, he was nowhere near qualifying at that point because if he stopped playing at the end of Oz he would only have had 2000 points by the time London came around. Ain't no way 2000 points is qualifying.

I thought that a GS win automatically qualifies you...

batz
05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I thought that a GS win automatically qualifies you...

:)

You need to read back through the thread mate. I wasn't absolutely correct anyway, as gj pointed out, it would depend whether 2000 points would give you 20th place.

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 11:16 AM

That was my original point. :)