PDA

View Full Version : Steffi still looks sharp!!

richied
05-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Still got it! Best womens match I've seen all season...hahahah, nice slice, big forehand, aggressive!! God bless ya Steffi!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8ftraVUEU

Lionheart392
05-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Yep I was there on Sunday, she was indeed very impressive :)

dr325i
05-19-2009, 04:41 AM
That's because she's playing with the YouTek:)

dirtballer
05-19-2009, 04:46 AM
I thought she was hitting her cross court forehand very well in cross court rallies with Kim but I thougt she but had some problems going down the line with Kim's crosscourt forehand.

svijk
05-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Yeah she still got it it, may even beat some of the top 20 today.

Actually when i first saw the match on TC, i thought it was a classic match from years ago. Thats how good Steffi looked, she's still in great shape.

vtmike
05-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Steffi Graf FTW!!!

MizunoMX20
05-19-2009, 05:53 AM
''Steffi still looks sharp!!''

Didn't you mean hot?

Bud
05-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Yeah she still got it it, may even beat some of the top 20 today.

Actually when i first saw the match on TC, i thought it was a classic match from years ago. Thats how good Steffi looked, she's still in great shape.

She is in great shape! Still moving well, too... always bouncing like a gazelle :)

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Wow, that stat screen during the warm-up. I don't think we even comprehend that these days. The four slams, and the wins are 5,7,6,4.
Sick.

samster
05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
that slice backhand is plain nasty.

SAFINATORZ
05-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Her backhand slice is still deadly!

TheNatural
05-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Cheers that was great.Graf still looks pretty fit for 40(next month).No Doubt Clijsters will make a very successful comeback.Clijsters looked a bit scared to hit it to the Graf forehand. She was using Nadal tactics and hitting everything to the backhand.:)

BHud
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Steffi can have her way with me any time...she still looks sharp and hot!

crazylevity
05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
That's because she's playing with the YouTek:)

Anyone who watched the match know which racquet she was using? Been eyeing the Speed Pro, and if it's good enough for Graf, might take it out for a demo.

Is it me or is she using a smiley dampener too?

nikdom
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
My favorite tennis couple - Andre and Steffi - looked great on TV. Man was Steffi looking HHHOTTT or what??!!

Andre looks older, but Steffi can still hit that slice BH like perfection and her forehand worked just like old times!

We want Steffi back!!

:):)

crazylevity
05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
WOW. That rally at 3-2, Deuce...the pace they were playing at...I doubt many of today's top ten women can handle it.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Steffi seems to be having a lot of fun but Kim is so serious.

Lionheart392
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
WOW. That rally at 3-2, Deuce...the pace they were playing at...I doubt many of today's top ten women can handle it.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Steffi seems to be having a lot of fun but Kim is so serious.

I guess even though it was just for fun, there was a bit of pressure on Kim. Seeing as she's planning a comeback, if she'd lost it might've been a bit embarrassing? Then again it is Steffi Graf the GOAT (IMO) so I don't think there'd be much shame in it :)
And I agree that Steffi looked great, even younger than she did 10 years ago.

snapple
05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
No doubt Steffi can still play some top level tennis but to those who think she's "hot", you folks must not get out too much.

CCNM
05-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see Steffi (the last Grand Slam-AO, FO, USO, & Wimbly in the same year-winner) take on Nadal, whom everyone is saying has a chance to do that this year.

Lionheart392
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see Steffi (the last Grand Slam-AO, FO, USO, & Wimbly in the same year-winner) take on Nadal, whom everyone is saying has a chance to do that this year.

Steffi would win 6-2 6-1 6-0.

GPG
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
No doubt Steffi can still play some top level tennis but to those who think she's "hot", you folks must not get out too much.

depending on what you consider hot

maximo
05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep I was there on Sunday, she was indeed very impressive :)

Really?

Nice. :)

i have a question for you...

When the players were playing under the closed roof, was their a loud echo everytime they hit the ball?

Because I watched it on TV and the noise was very distracting.

thanks.

l_gonzalez
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Steffi would slaughter Nadal, it's not even a fair match up. that sliced backhand cross court to Nadal's forehand would kill him!!!

Lionheart392
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Really?

Nice. :)

i have a question for you...

When the players were playing under the closed roof, was their a loud echo everytime they hit the ball?

Because I watched it on TV and the noise was very distracting.

thanks.

Nope I didn't notice anything like that, I guess it must've been a broadcasting thing.

Leublu tennis
05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Still got it! Best womens match I've seen all season...hahahah, nice slice, big forehand, aggressive!! God bless ya Steffi!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8ftraVUEUI know you are new here, but you should note that there is another section of TW that deals with Former Pro Players.

woodrow1029
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
As far as I know, he's one of only 2 that actually have a chance to do that this year..

raygo
05-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I saw her play an exhibition last year against Kimiko Date and Martina Navratilova. Can't believe she can still move and hit like that after all these years. Martina was even more impressive, she's in better shape than a lot of people half her age!

TennisLover17
05-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Wow that forehand at 5:16 was monstrous O_O

JoshDragon
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
I think Steffi played pretty well. Didn't seem like there was a lot of power on her ground strokes and she did look a bit rusty but all in all not bad. I had never seen her play before I watched the you tube vid.

skip1969
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
that was fun. i luvs me some steffi.

talk about old school. they played at breakneck speed, no poncing around between points. and a net cord judge, too? i felt like i was re-living the 90's. heh

EtePras
05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Incredible how much even the womens' game evolved, where a one time slam champion of this decade can compete with a 22-time slam winner of a past era. Just makes you think, a 14-time slam champion of the past would be equivalent to a -7 time grand slam winner of today.

zagadka
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Steffi the GOAT.

Grizvok
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Incredible how much even the womens' game evolved, where a one time slam champion of this decade can compete with a 22-time slam winner of a past era. Just makes you think, a 14-time slam champion of the past would be equivalent to a -7 time grand slam winner of today.

Are you joking?

Graf is also 15 years older.

Swissv2
05-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Looking at all the GrandSlams that Steffi won was just pure amazingness.

Seriously.

She was #1 for 377 weeks. Yes....WEEKS.

Won the Australian Open: 4 times (last championship win in 1994)
Won the French Open: 6 times (last championship win in 1999)
Won Wimbledon: 7 times (last championship win in 1996)
Won US Open: 5 times (last championship win in 1996)

22 Grand Slams...is indescribable.

raygo
05-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Imagine what it would take to achieve that kind of domination on the men's tour today. Wow.

Steffi didn't have perfect seasons, she lost her share of matches. But man, she could turn it on during the Slams. One of my favorite matches was her 1999 FO final against Hingis. Despite losing the first set, Steffi found her stride and caused Hingis to become completely unhinged. (Kind of reminds me of Sampras vs Roddick in '02 USO--changing of the guard, my foot!).

LanceStern
05-19-2009, 11:07 PM
It's a good match, and I can't wait for the grass but:

their shots look so unnatural and nonfluid, especially the forehands. It hurts my eyes.

Grizvok
05-19-2009, 11:56 PM

their shots look so unnatural and nonfluid, especially the forehands. It hurts my eyes.

Sort of agree. Graf's forehand was an eye sore for sure, but she did get some good pace on it.

TheNatural
05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
The only strange thing was seeing Graf with a racket with such a HUGE head. It almost looks like a tweener in her hands compared to the rackets she used to use. I guess she wouldn't need such a big headed racket for her type of shots if she was playing competitively now and was in full training.

TheNatural
05-20-2009, 12:05 AM

Graf's forehand actually looks very natural and fluid, its just that your reference point is seeing players who have forehands developed to suite their modern rackets.

helloworld
05-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Lol, another woman vs man post. Come on, it's not even funny anymore.

Warriorroger
05-20-2009, 06:02 AM

Unnatural and nonfluid, you are joking right?

vtmike
05-20-2009, 06:07 AM

Sorry but you need to get your eyes checked...

mandy01
05-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Yep Steffi rules :D

dannykl
05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Current top WTA players are no match for Steffi Graf in late 80's or 90's when she ruled the women's game.

I think prime Steffi could win 3 to 4 slams a year in today's pathetic WTA field.

TMCW140
05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
She was genuinely impressive- hope she takes a wimbledon wildcardm:-p

crazylevity
05-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Current top WTA players are no match for Steffi Graf in late 80's or 90's when she ruled the women's game.

I think prime Steffi could win 3 to 4 slams a year in today's pathetic WTA field.

Heck, looking at her movement at 40, I think prime Graf would go undefeated in the whole season in the current field. What a record that would be!

Warriorroger
05-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Heck, looking at her movement at 40, I think prime Graf would go undefeated in the whole season in the current field. What a record that would be!

LOL. I love all the great comments and her movement was and is unparalleled, but she was tired, you could tell between points. But boy, if for one day she could have her youth back and enter the final of any Grand Slam, those girls would be ashamed of collecting the big bucks. There was one rally (outplayed Kim with a slice and then a dropshot) and then you realise what is missing in women's tennis, it's the way the legends construct the points. Same goes for Monica, Chris and Martina 1, if young, they would still be on top, with Fraulein Steffi leading of course :)

Dave M
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
LOL. I love all the great comments and her movement was and is unparalleled, but she was tired, you could tell between points. But boy, if for one day she could have her youth back and enter the final of any Grand Slam, those girls would be ashamed of collecting the big bucks. There was one rally (outplayed Kim with a slice and then a dropshot) and then you realise what is missing in women's tennis, it's the way the legends construct the points. Same goes for Monica, Chris and Martina 1, if young, they would still be on top, with Fraulein Steffi leading of course :)

So true, I think a lot of players would struggle facing her sliced backhand an it was sittin up more on th grass there this year than it did 10 plus years ago.I thought she'd lost a bit of weight (muscle i suppose) on her legs and although she did look tired in the singles I honestly think that well prepared,she could trouble many of the top 20 in the modern game.

swedechris
05-21-2009, 01:02 PM
One in billion kind of player and person .. lordy .. any Germans on the boards here? Do you guys have chicks like these grow in trees? I remember last summer at October fest in Munich .. Will never forget it , dont want to either.

anointedone
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Steffi in her prime would not have a lost a match since the start of 2008 to today. In 2007 she would have lost maybe 2 matches, probably both to Henin, but they would have played 8 or 9 times and Steffi still won almost all of them.

tennis-hero
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
The great tragedy about women is they spend their 20-30s making themselves pretty- pushing away male attention because they want to find mr right, who obviously doesn't exist

then they turn 35+ and suddenly no one looks at them anymore and they settle for some ugly brute of a man who gives them money.

Basically spending the majority of their lives bored and spiteful and spending their few good years not knowing what they want

lefty10spro
05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Greatest female athlete to ever play the game and a milf to boot!

thalivest
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM

More like you makes you realize how pathetic the current womens field is that a 22-time slam winner of a past era is competitive with a slam winner of any kind from this period. By the way if Clijsters didnt:

1. get unlucky to lose some of the big matches she narrowly lost from 2001-2003
2. miss a whole year from French 2004-Australia 2005 when her nemisis Henin was winning nothing and Williams were no longer at their best
3. retire at 23.

She could easily be a 5-7 slam winner now. After all she is a much better player than Capriati who won 3 slams. Her 1 slam title is not a true reflection of her ability amongst the present field. Yet a nearly 40 year
old Graf still looked good against her.

tennis_hand
05-22-2009, 12:22 AM
well, Steffi's forehand looks very close to her body. does she look also like this when she's on top?

DunlopDood
05-22-2009, 12:28 AM
She looked great for someone who claims not to play much anymore. Still think she plays with too much slice from the backhand, didn't anyone ever teach her to hit a proper backhand?

Dave M
05-22-2009, 03:48 AM
well, Steffi's forehand looks very close to her body. does she look also like this when she's on top?

If you mean, was forehand always what many would call "late" geting tough the ball, yes but that was part of its strength, she cold put it anywhere.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Hello that lady was my heros unfortunately she is retired...She is tha Goat of tennis...IMO ;) not Federer not Sampras but Graf!!
I even fancy she can beat Federer in a 3 set match on clay !!!
Well I do not know if she can beat Nadal though LOL

dannykl
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
She looked great for someone who claims not to play much anymore. Still think she plays with too much slice from the backhand, didn't anyone ever teach her to hit a proper backhand?

She has good topspin backhand in her game. Check the match say, 1988 Wim final Steffi vs Martina. Steffi hit a lot of topspin backhand passing shots or winners in that match.

In 1999 French Open final, Steffi also successfully passed another Martina with topspin backhand in Hingis's serving for match game in the second set and finally defeated Hingis in that match.

Graf did have a decent topspin bh in her arsenal. Her slice is the best ever in women's game though. With such an excellent slice, it is no surprise she uses it so often in her bh side shots.

nickynu
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
The great tragedy about women is they spend their 20-30s making themselves pretty- pushing away male attention because they want to find mr right, who obviously doesn't exist

then they turn 35+ and suddenly no one looks at them anymore and they settle for some ugly brute of a man who gives them money.

Basically spending the majority of their lives bored and spiteful and spending their few good years not knowing what they want

Oh dear, bad experience tennis -hero it sounds like it - lol :)

nickynu
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
please delete mods - duplicated post

BiGGieStuFF
05-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I know you are new here, but you should note that there is another section of TW that deals with Former Pro Players.

OKay let's talk about Kim, soon to be CURRENT player :D

vtmike
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAdKs75WT8&feature=related