PDA

View Full Version : Another rules question

jefferson
05-19-2009, 04:53 AM
This is a situation that has occurred each year for the last two years. It involves the same roving official. Its a doubles match second serve, my player is in his service motion and the official calls a let due to a ball she deems dangerous to the other team. She then goes on to explain why she called the let, delaying play some more.

Okay no problem yet, but when my player asks for a first serve she says no, second serve. I have argued with her last year and this year about this, and she will not relent.

My argument is obvious, he is in his service motion and a let is called = automatic first serve. AM I WRONG? :???:

JLyon
05-19-2009, 05:01 AM
It should be a first serve, because he was in the service motion. Rule is easy to find in the FOC.

jefferson
05-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Thats what I am saying, how can an official from the USTA get this wrong. Never mind twice!!

JLyon
05-19-2009, 07:34 AM
without being there the official may have felt she called a let prior to his motion beginning, but if the arm swing or ball toss had started it should be a first serve. Maybe Woodrow could confirm this for us.

woodrow1029
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
without being there the official may have felt she called a let prior to his motion beginning, but if the arm swing or ball toss had started it should be a first serve. Maybe Woodrow could confirm this for us.
This is most likely the reasoning. A lot of times the official will call let just prior to starting the toss and the server will try to "buy" a first serve by starting quickly. Without being there, like JLyon said, there's no way that we can tell. If the server was clearly in the toss when the official said stop, it should be a first serve.

jefferson
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
HIs hands were dropping which is the beginning of the toss motion. The ball still in his hand. But to me as a player, anything once I stop my ritual, bouncing three times, is my service motion. Once my weight transfers and my hands start to drop, I consider myself in the service motion.

If I was the other team I would have offered it, regardless of what she says.

woodrow1029
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
HIs hands were dropping which is the beginning of the toss motion. The ball still in his hand. But to me as a player, anything once I stop my ritual, bouncing three times, is my service motion. Once my weight transfers and my hands start to drop, I consider myself in the service motion.

If I was the other team I would have offered it, regardless of what she says.
If you offer it as the opponent, there is nothing wrong with that. Generally speaking, what you just described is not considered in your motion, and a first serve would not be ruled.

Cindysphinx
05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
What does constitute the beginning of the service motion, Woodrow?

woodrow1029
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
What does constitute the beginning of the service motion, Woodrow?
Generally speaking, when the arms start moving up, or the ball is tossed. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that is not going to be consistent with every official.