PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Nice

andres17
05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Im planning to go learn French in Nice for a couple of months. Hows the tennis there?

Expensive because it is a tourist location. I mean are there lower end clubs that are not meants for just tourist and highly overpriced. Are the majority of the courts clay? Any public courts?

Can't find anything but hotels with overpriced tennis courts online

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Roberto
05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Nice has some exellent tennis courts. I was there a few years ago and played at the Nice lawn tennis club. They had very good clay courts and a few hard courts aswell and the location was very nice. I also saw some strange looking grass courts with not much space behind the baseline - nobody played on those courts so maby they were somekind of museum courts...I remember they told me that Nice lawn tennis club is one of the oldest tennis clubs in europe. I believe the price was quite normal for european courts - around 15 euros/hour/court. Not just for club members - anyone could reserve the courts. I highly recommend this club - the location, atmosphere and courts (clay) were high class. They must have a web page so just google on Nice Lawn Tennis Club.
...it's not that far to Monte Carlo...you could also try to reserve a court at the magnificent Monte Carlo tennis centre where they play the ATP-masters tournament. I have not been there myself but many say that it's one of the most beautiful and best tennis-centers in the world with a marvellous view...could be expensive though.

Roberto
05-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I just remembered the adress. Even the street was named after a famous tennis player. The Nice lawn tennis club is located on: Avenue Suzanne Lenglen. I recall that it was located just north of the railway station and a walking distance from city centre and beach.