PDA

View Full Version : Is Davydenko passed him prime?

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Is Davydenko passed his prime? Or do people think he can get back in the top 5 again?

maximo
05-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Top 5 too strong, I don't see him regaining a spot there.

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Top 5 too strong, I don't see him regaining a spot there.

I wouldn't say the 5th position is secure.

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 12:58 PM
He's definetly past his prime. With guys like Murray Djokovic Del Potro, and Verdasco on the rise, it'll be hard for him to go back to top 5. Top 10 maybe though.

maximo
05-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't say the 5th position is secure.

It's secure enough.

P_Agony
05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Is Davydenko passed his prime? Or do people think he can get back in the top 5 again?

Davydenko's game is top 5 material for sure. But he just doesn't seem to care enough, to fight. It looks like it's just a daily job for him. He's my 3rd favorite player, and it's sad to see that he didn't win anything really big in his career, especially considering he is such a solid overall player.

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Davydenko's game is top 5 material for sure. But he just doesn't seem to care enough, to fight. It looks like it's just a daily job for him. He's my 3rd favorite player, and it's sad to see that he didn't win anything really big in his career, especially considering he is such a solid overall player.

He's won 2 Master Series events and numerous slam semi finals he's had a very successful career.

bolo
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
He's won 2 Master Series events and numerous slam semi finals he's had a very successful career.

Very good career. But I think his top 5 stay is done for good, his game takes a lot of effort and I think jmdp and verdasco are more talented. Imo by the end of this year he will definitely be behind, nadal, murray, djokovic, federer, verdasco and jmdp; the only guy he might match up well with in that group is murray.

Dream_On
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Davydenko has a slam in him if he is lucky enough.

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
^^which one? I dont see that.

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Very good career. But I think his top 5 stay is done for good, his game takes a lot of effort and I think jmdp and verdasco are more talented. Imo by the end of this year he will definitely be behind, nadal, murray, djokovic, federer, verdasco and jmdp; the only guy he might match up well with in that group is murray.

Why do you think Verdasco and Del Potro are more talented? Davydenko is an incredible ball striker can take them ball incredible early off both wings argubly the best ball striker in the game.

illkhiboy
05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
He's currently at number 9 even though he skipped the first three months of the year. If he can get past his injuries, he can easily climb his way back into the top five. I was very impressed with his recent comeback - beating Nalbandian in his first tournament and playing well against Nadal in the next.

He doesn't have a lot of points to defend at the French or the US, which have been successful events for him in the past, so if he can get going top 5-7 may not be too hard for him. Then by March next year I can see him in the top 5 where he really belongs.

Dutch-Guy
05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
He has passed his "prime" and won't win anything significant again.

All-rounder
05-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Even if davydenko plays the way he did last year his ranking won't improve to a point where he is top 5

bolo
05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Why do you think Verdasco and Del Potro are more talented? Davydenko is an incredible ball striker can take them ball incredible early off both wings argubly the best ball striker in the game.

I think davydenko is a clean hitter of the ball, but imo he is also weak in a lot of other areas of the game. Imo djokovic is a better ballstriker, he can't take the ball as early as davydenko, but he can actually end points in an easier manner. Jmdp's top 10 at a young age, which I think is always a good indication of talent; ofcourse verdasco has always been known as a big time playboy/underachiever.

You can't question davydenko's performance on the tour, it's very solid and he's backed it up with several quarters and semis in slams which is consistent with his top 5 ranking, but he was always missing that little bit extra that would have let him get to a slam final imo. I would bet that jmdp will end up in a slam final before he is done and likely verdasco as well.

Dream_On
05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
^^which one? I dont see that.

US Open I reckon, something like he is drawn in nadal's quarter when he is more than capable of beating nadal on a hard court on a good day. Lets say he gets murray in the semi, he has a winning record over him. Then in the final he would be either playing federer or djokovic and anything could happen.

For him the big thing is breaking through the semi final stage

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I think davydenko is a clean hitter of the ball, but imo he is also weak in a lot of other areas of the game. Imo djokovic is a better ballstriker, he can't take the ball as early as davydenko, but he can actually end points in an easier manner. Jmdp's top 10 at a young age, which I think is always a good indication of talent; ofcourse verdasco has always been known as a big time playboy/underachiever.

You can't question davydenko's performance on the tour, it's very solid and he's backed it up with several quarters and semis in slams which is consistent with his top 5 ranking, but he was always missing that little bit extra that would have let him get to a slam final imo. I would bet that jmdp will end up in a slam final before he is done and likely verdasco as well.

Maybe you're right, Del Potro will end up with 1 or 2 slams imo he seems to have something about him not sure about Verdasco though.

P_Agony
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Not to his potential though. Davydenko's game is worthy of a slam.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

davydenk never had a prime....................who is davydenko

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
He just pulled out of another tourney, may not play in France.

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
He just pulled out of another tourney, may not play in France.

Shame, he's had horrid luck with injuries this year feel sorry for him.

Leublu tennis
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
He just pulled out of another tourney, may not play in France.He is really being plagued by injuries. Really too bad.

fastdunn
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Davydenko will be 29 within 2 weeks. A 20 year old Cilic will catch him in the ranking, sooner or later....

tintin
05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
no he is not
I don't think anyone wants to face Davydenko when he is playing well
he needs to stay healthy and play doubles to add more to his game
I've actually seen him drop shot and use a 1 handed a lot this clay court season

imalil2gangsta4u
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I see him staying in the top 10 for a year or two more.

fastdunn
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Davydenko might be able to comeback into top 8 but it will take some time to recuperate top 8 class tennis after a few months of inactivity.

Differences between top players are laser thin. A few months of lay-off means a huge gap to recover at the top echelon of tennis.

It will be almost impossible to go back to top 5 within this year (if it will be ever possible). In the mean time, his ranking can go lower at around #11-#13 at least temporarily.

VictorS.
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I guess it's the nature of the beast (so to speak). However it's shame in my opinion that older players are often dismissed in favor of the younger generation. Part of it is the physical tool of the travel & the sport itself. What I find most intriguing in other sports as how players have to earn their way up the ladder. If Kobe Bryant were a tennis player, we would've discarded him long ago. However as a basketball player he's possibly the best team sports athlete in the world. And I would dare anyone suggest he's lost a step.

I like how Federer is making a push again against Nadal. The sport of tennis will be better for it if he can challenges Nadal for the next 2-3 years (possibly more). It's fun to see old vs. young. Kobe v. Lebron. Sampras v. Federer. And now hopefully Federer v. Nadal.

Regarding Davydenko, he does play a taxing style of play. However, I wouldn't put it past him to do some damage on tour still. Watching him on tv, I don't think he's lost a step. However, desire is something that is difficult to see through a television.

fastdunn
05-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Recent changes in tennis do not help older players

1. Best 18 ranking system (best 13 system in the past) - more tournies to play
2. Baseline running game (points are much longer)
3. All surfaces are now similar speed. You need to do well on all surfaces to maintain ranking.

GameSampras
05-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I didnt know he had a prime.

Dilettante
05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't think he will regain a top 5 spot. The younger generation has definitely raised and it will be hard for a 29 yo player to compete in equal conditions (although he's Federer or someone like that).

JankovicFan
05-21-2009, 04:13 AM
What married player is NOT past his prime? Once given that distraction, the demands really, it's over.

Joseph L. Barrow
05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
He's had some good showings in matches where he's actually played this year, mixed in with a few bad ones. A return to the top five doesn't look too likely with the top four being pretty well locked in and Del Potro, Roddick and Verdasco all performing so consistently in striving for #5. It is extremely unlikely for him to pull it off this year without even playing the Australian Open or the first three Masters Series, and by next year he'll likely be too old and worn down to get past the younger guys who are rising to the top as we speak.

He has a strong, consistent and well-rounded enough game, though, that I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang in the top 10 this year, and maybe next year as well.

jackson vile
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM

No, and Yes.

West Coast Ace
05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
The miles - and years - have caught up to him. He played a lot of tournaments. Like many Russians he seemed really obsessed with raking in the cash - not that that's a terrible thing - just limits your chances of winning more events - and more big events. Guessing he'll sink into the 8 to 20 range, hang there for a few yrs, then fade away.

But for a guy who told Bodo in the Tennis Mag interview when he turned pro he would be happy to make Top 200, he's had an awesome career. Especially considering his size relative to today's players.

CyBorg
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Davydenko's game is top 5 material for sure. But he just doesn't seem to care enough, to fight.

Eh? Davydenko's been fighting injury problems since last year. It's a physically demanding job and his body has been failing him.

maximo
05-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I didnt know he had a prime.

Typical GameSampras post.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
What married player is NOT past his prime? Once given that distraction, the demands really, it's over.

Tiger Woods. Unless marriage doesn't trancend sports for some reason.

Casey10s
05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Considering that a quarter of his points are from the end of year Masters Cup (or whatever it is called), he will be falling quick if he can't get into the top 8 by the end of the year. Also he is losing 350 points this week since he pulled out of the tournament. Right there is a third of his points. So he will probably drop to 12 or 13 this week. One thing that may help him in the near future is that Monfils probably won't defend his 900 points from the FO so he will be dropping. What I am saying that his days in the top 10 may be in the past and not in the future.