PDA

View Full Version : which would you have, roddick's power or nadal's defencive style of play

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
im talking the power roddick used in 03/04 or the defencive play of nadal 08/09. both styles are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

GavinC360
05-19-2009, 12:56 PM
how bout a combination of both?

Nanshiki
05-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Although I prefer shotmaking and power to grinding... I'd probably rather have Nadal's abilities as it has won a lot more slams.

All-rounder
05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Both if thats not being too greedy

mtommer
05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Roddick's power but my brain. Nadal would never stand a chance. He wouldn't get to a ball to get it back. 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 with zero points won every time we played. And anybody else. I would be G.O.A.T

:D

Racer41c
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
That's an easy one, Roddick's power. Have you seen his wife?

tintin
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Nadal might not have Roddick's serve but he sure as hell moves better
has a better backhand
better forehand
more variety in his game
is faster
returns better
is mentally stronger
and is an all-surface player
has won 6 slams already
and has age on his side ;)

RCizzle65
05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
How about something balanced, like Federer.

Madhoshi22
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
First of all, Nadal doesn't play defensive...have you seen his forehand recently?

He picks and chooses when to play offense, and when to play defense. He's a smarter all-round player than Roddick. His 'defense' is spin, and he generates a lot of it, when he's pushed farther back, naturally he'll play 'defense' until he can get back into the court and start ripping shots.

As for your original question, I'd much rather have Nadal's play any day of the week over Roddick. No questions asked.

GameSampras
05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
In todays baseline borefest game and slow courts, Nadal's defense. However, if Roddick was even a DECENT serve-volleyer I would choose Roddick's game any day of the week

DownTheLine
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
In todays baseline borefest game and slow courts, Nadal's defense. However, if Roddick was even a DECENT serve-volleyer I would choose Roddick's game any day of the week

I agree...

sh@de
05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Nadal's, because I'd be no.1 :D.

pricey_aus
05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Id actually like to have Gonzalezs forehand, if thats an option

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Nadal might not have Roddick's serve but he sure as hell moves better
has a better backhand
better forehand
more variety in his game
is faster
returns better
is mentally stronger
and is an all-surface player
has won 6 slams already
and has age on his side ;)

debateable.........roddick is mentally strgons, roddick's forehand in 03/04 is better, roddick is also varying his game a little

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Outside of Roddick's serve, Roddick is more defensive than Nadal.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
First of all, Nadal doesn't play defensive...have you seen his forehand recently?

He picks and chooses when to play offense, and when to play defense. He's a smarter all-round player than Roddick. His 'defense' is spin, and he generates a lot of it, when he's pushed farther back, naturally he'll play 'defense' until he can get back into the court and start ripping shots.

As for your original question, I'd much rather have Nadal's play any day of the week over Roddick. No questions asked.

your an idiot.......first you say he doesn't play defensive and then you go on about when he picks to go defensive.

nadal is a defensive player.FACT

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Outside of Roddick's serve, Roddick is more defensive than Nadal.

Agreed Roddick plays a grinder baseline game has zero weapons Nadal dictates with his forehand.

gj011
05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Roddick's power? What is that?

helloworld
05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
This is like asking would you rather have 1 slam or 6 slams and counting... :confused:

TheNatural
05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Roddick power..haha. Roddick is a pusher with a huge serve,He gets out powered on the baseline by guys ranked below 100 but he out grinds them.

FD3S
05-19-2009, 11:26 PM
It's honestly a toss-up. Roddick's forehand power in the 2003/2004 days was nothing short of fearsome, and coupled with that serve, he was a legitimate threat to anyone not named Federer.

Nadal's current defensive game, on the other hand... well, we've seen how effective that can be in the last year or so :)

helloworld
05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
It's honestly a toss-up. Roddick's forehand power in the 2003/2004 days was nothing short of fearsome, and coupled with that serve, he was a legitimate threat to anyone not named Federer.

Nadal's current defensive game, on the other hand... well, we've seen how effective that can be in the last year or so :)

Fed's and Nadal's forehand are 10x better. This isn't even worth comparing... Apart from the serve, Roddick's game is far from being fearsome.

FD3S
05-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Fed's and Nadal's forehand are 10x better. This isn't even worth comparing... Apart from the serve, Roddick's game is far from being fearsome.

... you're serious? There's an argument for that now, but back in the years that the OP mentioned, when Roddick got a weak - or even neutral - reply back on his serve, 9 times out of 10 it was getting CRUSHED back for a forced error, if not a winner. (Again, Federer was usually the lone exception.) Roddick's forehand suited his game frighteningly well, just as Federer and Nadal's suit theirs.

helloworld
05-19-2009, 11:45 PM
... you're serious? There's an argument for that now, but back in the years that the OP mentioned, when Roddick got a weak - or even neutral - reply back on his serve, 9 times out of 10 it was getting CRUSHED back for a forced error, if not a winner. (Again, Federer was usually the lone exception.) Roddick's forehand suited his game frighteningly well, just as Federer and Nadal's suit theirs.

Roddick 2003-2004 has a 1-5 h2h record against 35 year-old Andre Agassi... :oops:

FD3S
05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Roddick 2003-2004 has a 1-5 record against 35 year-old Andre Agassi...

Who also happened to be damn good at returning and a metronome at the baseline, even at 35. He matched up very well with Roddick style-wise - Murray's much the same way.

Leublu tennis
05-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Roddick's lady?

35ft6
05-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Depending on the surface, Nadal plays less defensively than Roddick does.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Its a simple answer you would want 6+slams rather than 1 slam.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Its a simple answer you would want 6+slams rather than 1 slam.

omg.... we are not talking about who has the better game here, you idiot, were talking about which talent you would rather have........get outta here.

man uts 3 - arsenal 1

in a bit

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 07:33 AM
omg.... we are not talking about who has the better game here, you idiot, were talking about which talent you would rather have........get outta here.

man uts 3 - arsenal 1

in a bit

Surely you would rather have the talent that gets you 6+ slams rather than 1 slam:confused:.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Surely the person with the better game has 6+ slams than the person with 1 slam:confused:.

yes but nadal and roddick have other talents aswell, like federer has beauty - but he's got quite a potent serve and power too

Pirao
05-20-2009, 07:35 AM

man uts 3 - arsenal 1

in a bit

You insulted another poster in your post, as well as bringing something completely unrelated to the thread, nice.

BTW, defensive style of play is not a talent, it is part of someone's game, something that needs to be trained to have it. Guess who the idiot is :oops:.

Gorecki
05-20-2009, 07:38 AM
You insulted another poster in your post, as well as bringing something completely unrelated to the thread, nice.

BTW, defensive style of play is not a talent, it is part of someone's game, something that needs to be trained to have it. Guess who the idiot is :oops:.

i see you are picking fights wherever you go... nice! keep up the good work! hopefully you will get what you deserve!

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-20-2009, 07:48 AM

your an idiot for interrupting 2 peoples debate - if i want your opinion i'll ask for it. secondly, shut up. thirdly, defense is a talent, if you call safin's power a talent - then there must be a talent completely opposite - defence

you need to work on everything, at any sport

Pirao
05-20-2009, 08:43 AM
i see you are picking fights wherever you go... nice! keep up the good work! hopefully you will get what you deserve!

And what do I deserve?

Pirao
05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
your an idiot for interrupting 2 peoples debate - if i want your opinion i'll ask for it. secondly, shut up. thirdly, defense is a talent, if you call safin's power a talent - then there must be a talent completely opposite - defence

you need to work on everything, at any sport

Oh, the irony. I don't need to be asked for opinions, this is a free forum, I'll express my opinion whenever I want, punk. Now, you shut up. Defensive play is not a talent, because offensive game is not a talent either, power, speed, reflexes, are talents, things that you get born with, and that may either help a defensive or an offensive game.

gj011
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM

man uts 3 - arsenal 1

in a bit

What is with all these new posters calling people "idiots".

Pirao
05-20-2009, 08:56 AM
What is with all these new posters calling people "idiots".

I know, right? But apparently, according to Gorecki, I'm the bad guy for calling him out on it. Not surprising, since he seems to have some sort of prejudice against spanish people, God knows why :oops:.

sureshs
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I would just pick being #1 in the world, thanks.

MethodTennis
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
this pirao guy must have posted a load of junk to get 550 posts in a month and stop tryin to pick fights mate

MethodTennis
05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
ohh and for the record roddicks power of 03/04/early 05 for me

Pirao
05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
this pirao guy must have posted a load of junk to get 550 posts in a month and stop tryin to pick fights mate

Yes, calling someone out for calling another poster an idiot is picking fights, now I have seen it all :lol:.

gj011
05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
I know, right? But apparently, according to Gorecki, I'm the bad guy for calling him out on it. Not surprising, since he seems to have some sort of prejudice against spanish people, God knows why :oops:.

Gorecki used to be a nice guy, but he is a lost soul now. Turned to dark side. Too much hate. Do not pay attention to him.

Anyway I know how you feel. Lots of low count trolls buzzing around, insulting people and picking fights and hypocrites who defend them.

The OP guy is obviously a tool, flamed his own thread with unnecessary insults.

gj011
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes, calling someone out for calling another poster an idiot is picking fights, now I have seen it all :lol:.

You can see that guy is OP as well. Same style, no capital letters, no punctuation, ...

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
I think the OP is a Rodtard. lol

maximo
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
if Roddick was even a DECENT serve-volleyer I would choose Roddick's game any day of the week

Just like your beloved Sampras.

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Funny how everything leads up to if this guy played a similar game to Sampras I would root for him. lol

Pirao
05-20-2009, 09:16 AM

He's so predictable, isn't he? :)

rommil
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM
im talking the power roddick used in 03/04 or the defencive play of nadal 08/09. both styles are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Crazy question.....Why would I trade in my smashing play for those. Sheesh..

Pirao
05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Gorecki used to be a nice guy, but he is a lost soul now. Turned to dark side. Too much hate. Do not pay attention to him.

Anyway I know how you feel. Lots of low count trolls buzzing around, insulting people and picking fights and hypocrites who defend them.

Believe me, I try to ignore him, but he seems to follow me from thread to thread :-?.

psYcon
05-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Roddick is a one-trick pony. If he had an average serve he would not be even in the top 200. Heck he might even be playing at the college level and getting his *** handed to him by the likes of Alex Clayton, Robert Farah etc.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 09:31 AM

Sampras is better than Roddick in ever department.

gj011
05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Believe me, I try to ignore him, but he seems to follow me from thread to thread :-?.

Yes I know. Have several stalkers myself.

Gorecki
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM

GJ. have we ever got involved in trouble. NO... we have respectfully disgree? YES..(namely on the Selles issues) how come you make those statements?

should i notice that dispite your change in attitude, i remain respectfull of your opinions and choices no matter what. if you refer to the Crissy thread, look at it as a joke. have you lost you sense of humour? i believe not...

if you are going that way, be my guest. i much rather keep a nice empathy with you!

Nanshiki
05-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Roddick is a one-trick pony. If he had an average serve he would not be even in the top 200. Heck he might even be playing at the college level and getting his *** handed to him by the likes of Alex Clayton, Robert Farah etc.

That is so ignorant and delusion that I'm not even going to finish this sentence...wait, yes I will.

gj011
05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
GJ. have we ever got involved in trouble. NO... we have respectfully disgree? YES..(namely on the Selles issues) how come you make those statements?

should i notice that dispite your change in attitude, i remain respectfull of your opinions and choices no matter what. if you refer to the Crissy thread, look at it as a joke. have you lost you sense of humour? i believe not...

if you are going that way, be my guest. i much rather keep a nice empathy with you!

Well, yes we were always cool, but you started trouble in Chriss Evert thread, also I think your reaction here was not right. The OP is insulting people, calling everyone "idiots", and you attack a person who tells him not to do that only because you don't like that person.

Pirao IMO did nothing wrong here and was attacked by you and couple others for no reason, while OP is behaving like a jerk and yet it is fine.

I do not like to see that, since I was put in a similar situations several times recently.

That is all.

We do not need to continue with this, I said I think you are the nice guy and I do not wish to argue with you.

Dutch-Guy
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Can't i get both:Roddick huge serve and fh(back in his prime 02/03) and Nadal's defensive skills.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I think the OP is a Rodtard. lol

i have nothing against *******s

thetaxman
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Roddick's power is only on the serve and almost everyone is able to handle it these days..

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Well, yes we were always cool, but you started trouble in Chriss Evert thread, also I think your reaction here was not right. The OP is insulting people, calling everyone "idiots", and you attack a person who tells him not to do that only because you don't like that person.

Pirao IMO did nothing wrong here and was attacked by you and couple others for no reason, while OP is behaving like a jerk and yet it is fine.

I do not like to see that, since I was put in a similar situations several times recently.

That is all.

We do not need to continue with this, I said I think you are the nice guy and I do not wish to argue with you.

i dont think he likes me

Love Game
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM

otoh, rafa is still a free man! :lol:

what time's the train? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_109v.gif

kraggy
05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Except for his serve , I don't think I would choose Roddick's ANYTHING over another top 10 player let alone Nadal!

IMO, Roddick's 'power' from 03/04 is highly overrated! His serve is still a killer though!

Madhoshi22
05-20-2009, 12:40 PM
your an idiot.......first you say he doesn't play defensive and then you go on about when he picks to go defensive.

nadal is a defensive player.FACT

Read the post...

I said he PICKS and CHOOSES when to play defense...
If he's a defensive player, he wouldn't step in and rip shots period.
He'd loop balls like he was in the 12's all over again.

btw...your grammar is awesome
:roll:

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Nadal 's game is not exactly strictly defensive. Nadal is a player who can turn defense into offense at will and is comfortable dictating points as well.
About the choice I would take the one that gives me more wins. Guess which one that is? :)

Arafel
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
It'd depend on what Slam I wanted to win the most. For me, that would be the US Open, so I'd rather have Roddick's game than Nadal's, just to be able to win that tournament.

Mind you, I think Nadal if he isn't too tired by then has a shot at Flushing, but I'd favor Fed, Murray, Djokovic and possibly Roddick over Nadal at that tournament.

devila
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Who also happened to be damn good at returning and a metronome at the baseline, even at 35. He matched up very well with Roddick style-wise - Murray's much the same way.
Roddick always said "I put fund-raising above tennis" "I'm older and not talented enough". Of course, he also lied about having "worked hard" and denied that the bad flexibility and awful shot speed/moonballs came from
his self-hating, mouthy attitude, unserious decisions and weight gain.

He didn't lose any weight until Stepanki demanded it 5 months ago.
Murray got lucky after an overweight and unserious Roddick played Davis Cup, then rushed over to play
Murray in 2006. Agassi was gifted a 6-3 3-1 collapse on clay in 2003 and
Roddick kept hugging Agassi in 2004 Cincinnati. Not exactly a fighter, emotionally and physically.

devila
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Divorce will come, no doubt. No talent, average Matt Damon-look alike model with an inability
to cook and enjoy tennis. Kinda like Mandy Moore.
He marries people who have his mother's phoniness and brainlessness.

helloworld
05-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Divorce will come, no doubt. No talent, average Matt Damon-look alike model with an inability
to cook and enjoy tennis. Kinda like Mandy Moore.
He marries people who have his mother's phoniness and brainlessness.

Well, at least Mandy Moore can act and sing a bit. Decker, on the other hand, is just a plain dumb blonde. :?

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, at least Mandy Moore can act and sing a bit. Decker, on the other hand, is just a plain dumb blonde. :?

Theres nothing wrong with a plain dumb blonde :)

devila
05-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Neither Mandy or Decker is blonde.
Roddick could see the secret the 1st time. I'm embarrassed.

I don't consider singing and acting as shrill whining and weird face-screwing. Then again, even with her lack of smarts and humility, Mandy remarkably tries her best.

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 06:29 AM
I'll take Nadal's style over anyone elses style.