PDA

View Full Version : What's the verdict on JMDP?

kraggy
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
First he was the hot stuff when he burst onto the scene with back to back tournament wins. But then after his beatdown from Federer at the U.S open, people immediately dismissed him as not being capable of joining the big boy league. Recently though he managed to beat Nadal on a hardcourt and Murray on clay. But then he had his *** handed to him AGAIN by Federer.

His record against the top 4 is quite bad. 0-5 vs Fed, 1-4 vs Nadal, 0-3 vs Djoker, 1-3 vs Murray. But of course, he is only 20 yrs old and we should expected his H2H to improve with age.

So what do you think? JMDP capable of being in the big boy league ( i.e win multiple slams, consistently beat the top 4 ) or will he join the Roddick/Davydenko club ( super consistent players who beat everyone else but fall short when facing the big boys) or the Nalbandian/Safin/Gasquet club (super talented players who are easily capable of beating the big boys but never consistent enough)

P.S - I am aware that Joker only has 1 slam and Murray has 0 but their consistent performances vs Nadal and Fed put them in the big boy league).

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
He has a ton of potential.

He's only 20.

Give him some time.

Federer is a horrible match-up for him, though.

People definitely shouldn't count Del Potro out.

He's extremely consistent and moves very well for his height.

In the future I see him as a possible contender for grand slams.

Andres
05-19-2009, 04:45 PM
First he was the hot stuff when he burst onto the scene with back to back tournament wins. But then after his beatdown from Federer at the U.S open, people immediately dismissed him as not being capable of joining the big boy league. Recently though he managed to beat Nadal on a hardcourt and Murray on clay. But then he had his *** handed to him AGAIN by Federer.

His record against the top 4 is quite bad. 0-5 vs Fed, 1-4 vs Nadal, 0-3 vs Djoker, 1-3 vs Murray. But of course, he is only 20 yrs old and we should expected his H2H to improve with age.

So what do you think? JMDP capable of being in the big boy league ( i.e win multiple slams, consistently beat the top 4 ) or will he join the Roddick/Davydenko club ( super consistent players who beat everyone else but fall short when facing the big boys) or the Nalbandian/Safin/Gasquet club (super talented players who are easily capable of beating the big boys but never consistent enough)

P.S - I am aware that Joker only has 1 slam and Murray has 0 but their consistent performances vs Nadal and Fed put them in the big boy league).
On the other hand, his record against Nadal, Murray and Federer this year is a not-so-bad 2-4

AprilFool
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
He has a ton of potential.

He's only 20.

Give him some time.

Federer is a horrible match-up for him, though.

People definitely shouldn't count Del Potro out.

He's extremely consistent and moves very well for his height.

In the future I see him as a possible contender for grand slams.

I agree with this.

Dilettante
05-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I think he will be a contender.

GameSampras
05-19-2009, 04:59 PM
The verdict? Too big too slow. 0 slams

coloskier
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
He is basically Roddick "circa 2004" without the serve.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
When Federer and Nadal retire (especially if Nadal retires a little early), then Del Potro may have a shot at a slam.

He'll still have his hands full with Murray and Djokovic, though, and possibly some other up-and-comers.

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Also, Del Potro's backhand is indescribably better than Roddick's.

If you don't believe me, watch this.

His technique is outstanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5GL_O3AGQA

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Uhm, you really can't be too big. His height will be key in his serve. Besides, he's freaking 20. If he's in the top 10 at that age, you have no idea what he can do with time.

marc45
05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
i've said it before, he's this generation's todd martin, 5-10, good matches against the other top players losing most, maybe a slam final, more likely quarters and semi or two, no slams

Serendipitous
05-19-2009, 05:16 PM
i've said it before, he's this generation's todd martin, 5-10, good matches against the other top players losing most, maybe a slam final, more likely quarters and semi or two, no slams

Nice comparison!

Dilettante
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM

You may have a point there.

tacou
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I still don't think the tournament wins last summer were very impressive (aside from the fact that it was 4 in a row!)

He still hasn't won a big title but he is only 20.

I think Del will be a poor man's Nalbandian; maybe a slam final but unless God blesses him he will never win a big title.

MichaelChang
05-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Uhm, you really can't be too big. His height will be key in his serve. Besides, he's freaking 20. If he's in the top 10 at that age, you have no idea what he can do with time.

I agree. I expect him to win at least 1 slam as long as he stays healthy and play a couple of years.

Tennis360
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd like to comment on his style of play in general, and not on his results. I have a soft heart for "flashy" tennis and I just find his tennis a bit boring to watch - one-dimensional baseliner, imo. but he definitely deserves where he is at right now. he could always hurt opponents.

egn
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I am waiting a year or two gosh he is only 20...prior to the whole Nadal fad 20 used to never be the judging age of a player Sampras, Fed, Lendl, Agassi etc. did not hit it huge until 22 onward..I will have my verdict out on him in a year or two. Hell he beat Nadal this year and that takes something. However I think he will be a better hardcourt player than clay court player but I would not be surprised if he had more success on clay in the future as every year there are less and less strong clay court players.

Andres
05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Actually, he AVERAGED 218 kph on his first serve against Federer (136.25 mph on AVERAGE), and clocked a 233 kph ace (145.63 mph)

He improved his serve a LOT this year.

joeri888
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I think Juan Martin has made huge steps this season actually. He played a shocker against Federer, but came up against a guy that played one of his best hardcourt performances, and given the fact that this guy won like 8 HC slams you know what that means.

However, he also beat Nadal and Murray this year which will give him great confidence to beat the ebst in the game. I think he'll do well at Roland Garros but I'm very curious of whether he can do something at Wimbledon. Doesn't seem his type of surface

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Think he'll be a great player and is much better than Murray. Think he can also trouble Nadal on clay if there is anyone. Not saying he will but if I had to pick a player outside of Fed who could trouble Nadal on clay its Del Potro.

P_Agony
05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
He's slowly improving the record. He beat Nadal in Miami, and beat Murray in Madrid. I don't think he will beat Federer anytime soon, as I think the AO loss would be too much for him, plus Fed is a horrible matchup for him.

gj011
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Think he'll be a great player and is much better than Murray. Think he can also trouble Nadal on clay if there is anyone. Not saying he will but if I had to pick a player outside of Fed who could trouble Nadal on clay its Del Potro.

Forgetting someone?

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, let's just judge what a guy's entire career is gonna be based on 2 years. He's just made the top 5 for the first time, but we already know that he's never gonna win slam. Why? Because we say so!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Forgetting someone?

Djoker? Ummm no not forgetting him. Expecting him to self-destruct as he usually does in most Grand Slam tournaments.

gj011
05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Djoker? Ummm no not forgetting him. Expecting him to self-destruct as he usually does in most Grand Slam tournaments.

Sure, sure Novak was "self destructing", while Del Potro is a big threat :roll:
Not sure which GS tournaments you watched.

Like it or not, Novak is the player who can trouble Nadal the most on this RG, as he was on the last as well.

Knightmace
05-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I love Potro's game think he will get to all the QF or btter in this year grand slams

Leublu tennis
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
First he was the hot stuff when he burst onto the scene with back to back tournament wins. Back to back? He won 4 freaking tournaments in a row, at 19. Isn't he the only player to ever do that? Something like that. And he is getting better.

shadows
05-20-2009, 02:23 AM
DelPo is great, a very very solid player.

He's still got potential to improve I think, but what he needs right now is some more success against the top 4, since to win those major tournaments chances are he'll have to go through 3 of them.

I think he can potentially reach GS semi's on several surfaces, and with the right conditions he could get to the finals of one, maybe even sneak a win dependant on who he was playing. He's young so the problem is thinking up which opponents he's likely to face, who'll be hot and who might have gone off the boil by then.

Gamewise he's very consistant off the ground, hard deep groundies that usually have great depth on them (incidentally I think this is why he seemingly struggles with Roger most, he gives him a rhythm), he can come to the net and is actually pretty handy there thanks to some decent touch and a big wingspan, his serve has definitely become a weapon and his movement is improving.

I'd say he's got a chance at taking a masters this year if a couple of the top 4 have a few problems.

Cindysphinx
05-20-2009, 02:45 AM

Don't forget no net game.

vtmike
05-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Sure, sure Novak was "self destructing", while Del Potro is a big threat :roll:
Not sure which GS tournaments you watched.

Like it or not, Novak is the player who can trouble Nadal the most on this RG, as he was on the last as well.

Up until 2007, Federer was the only one who could challenge Rafa at RG...Novak was not even close!

In 2008, he had a close three set match than Roger...but big deal! He still lost in 3 sets just like Federer...Who cares if there was a bagel or not, it was still just a three set match!

In 2009, I would still give the edge to Fed over Noavk (only slightly) just because its a best of 5 match with long clay rallies...

gj011
05-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Up until 2007, Federer was the only one who could challenge Rafa at RG...Novak was not even close!

In 2008, he had a close three set match than Roger...but big deal! He still lost in 3 sets just like Federer...Who cares if there was a bagel or not, it was still just a three set match!

In 2009, I would still give the edge to Fed over Noavk (only slightly) just because its a best of 5 match with long clay rallies...

I was not talking about 2006 and 2007.

tennisNoob78
05-20-2009, 05:20 AM
At present he is another baseliner - lacks variety, or any special weapons..

Hopefully that will change.

sureshs
05-20-2009, 06:18 AM
i've said it before, he's this generation's todd martin

But a lot better looking

deltox
05-20-2009, 06:50 AM
i give this guy 7 masters shield and 2 slams by the end of his career. his improvments over last season is phenominal

i really wanna see him and Isner play again on HCs. any tournament will do, their miami match was beyond awesome

Cyan
05-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I see him right now as a draw softener for Fed. May beat Murray or Rafa but then will bend over nicely for Fed because of the horrible matchup... JMDP won't beat Nole, though. Since Nole rarely goes down to ballbashers....

NamRanger
05-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I see him right now as a draw softener for Fed. May beat Murray or Rafa but then will bend over nicely for Fed... JMDP won't beat Nole, though....

At the rate JMDP is improving, Nole isn't going to like it if he plays him. JMDP hits bigger than Djokovic does, and just as consistent.

batz
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM

I like the big fella and think he has real potential.

He got beat badly by Roger in Oz - Murray beat him @ Flushing Meadows in four tight sets.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
At the rate JMDP is improving, Nole isn't going to like it if he plays him. JMDP hits bigger than Djokovic does, and just as consistent.

Djokovic is a far better althlete so he will most likely always stay ahead of Del Potro.

babolat15
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
id like to see how he does at the aussie open 2011. granted that he stays healthy

aphex
05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Djokovic is a far better althlete so he will most likely always stay ahead of Del Potro.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nfor304
05-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Todd Martin? I think hes more similar to Guga than Martin. He has those big long swings on both sides and hits a really heavy, consistent ball, and he serves big and moves well when hes serving. I think hes definitely got a lot of potential but he will probably never be any good on grass

Shaolin
05-20-2009, 11:18 PM
JMDP: Lethargic, joyless and boring player. Doesn't seem to have the heart of a grand slam champ. Will win some more ATP titles but no slams, players with more heart will rightfully take them.

Perseverance
05-23-2009, 03:03 AM
His game is very effective against a lot of players. But I don’t see many areas in which he would be capable of improving that would make him jump to the next step, and ultimately get in the mix with the top four. Whilst he is highly consistent with powerful and flat strokes, I don’t think he is aggressive enough or powerful enough to consistently beat the top four. I feel his movement is lacking but I’m not sure if he will be able to improve that much more considering his size. He could work on his net game and that is an area I feel that would benefit him as he has none right now. I think he has the same problem as Davydenko, that he has to work very hard for his points, but he also lacks a little variation and angles that Davydenko has. Del Potro has power, but not explosive power. Both are unable to hit straight through players, and it’s their accumulation of strokes that is their strength. If Del Potro took the ball as early as Davydenko, I could see him being much more effective. He also isn’t capable of hitting the angles that Davydenko can. Del Potro is very rigid in his game, movement and variety of shots. Ultimately, a top five player, but I would strongly predict he won’t go any further.

All-rounder
05-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Del potro is 20 years old and is already in the top 5
Imagine what he will be capable of in some years time Given that he stays healthy