PDA

View Full Version : New to Competition

BU-Tennis
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I am in college, and about to be 21 in a week. I know i'm not a junior any more, but want to play some tourneys this summer to get back into competitive match play for my college team as i've been coaching my sister mostly these past year or so for her senior year of high school. But i have no idea what division i'm in. I know i cna't compete in futures or anything like that, just local regional tourneys. So am i in the Men's open division? I'm not playing in a league so NTRP does not matter. If anyone has any helpful advice please let me know. Also, if I win these tourneys or do well what does that mean? Do i progress to a national stage or get a national ranking that would make me eligible for higher level national events. I've tried browsing the USTA website i just can't find any answers.

LuckyR
05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
If you don't know your NTRP, then my guess is you might get killed in Men's Open, if you live in an area where tennis is popular. No harm in entering a tourney and seeing for yourself.

Steady Eddy
05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Go ahead and enter Men's Open. You might get killed, but it's only tennis, and not boxing, so you won't get hurt. And you get a good player to hit with you for two sets for less than the cost of a lesson. How can you lose?

stapletonj
05-20-2009, 02:07 AM
I am in Huntington. where are you? Local pros here at Ritter Park facility would probably give you a quick hit and put you in the right bracket of a local tourney for free if you paid and registered for the tourney. the Charleston WV Public Courts tourney is the biggest in the state. Good Luck!

Jay27
05-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I am in Huntington. where are you? Local pros here at Ritter Park facility would probably give you a quick hit and put you in the right bracket of a local tourney for free if you paid and registered for the tourney. the Charleston WV Public Courts tourney is the biggest in the state. Good Luck!

Hey stapletonj! I'm right down the road from you...what division do you play? You looking for a hitting partner? I love the Ritter Park Tourney's. I'm usually playing in the 3.5's and 4.0's. There's usually some excellent competition in all the events. Got killed 6-1, 6-2 in the Open event last year.

Some advice to the OP...the Open Event usually has some teaching pros, some players trying to play futures, and some high school and college players that are wicked awesome. You really need to be able to hit with excellent pace, with excellent direction, and have a go to weapon that is very reliable...not to mention...a big serve. That's probably the one thing that allowed me to get some games is that I have a pretty big serve. Other than that...good luck!!!

Also, I had a friend who once thought he could get a game in an open event. He's a legitimate 3.5 player. His first open event...smoked in about 22 or 23 minutes 0 and 0. He then thought he could do better if he just got his serve in more. Next open event...smoked...0 and 0. He entered one more open event...smoked...0 and 0. He's resiliant...yet a little naive (to say the least). Now, he's focused on 3.5 tourneys and sometimes makes it to about the second round before losing.