PDA

View Full Version : What's there to do after college?

Zielmann
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm going to be a senior in college next year (21 years old right now), and I'm trying to figure out how I can keep up with my tennis. I didn't play on the school team here. We're a D3 college, and I just didn't have the time to devote to the team. I have hit with them and could definitely compete with them, though.

To my dismay, I haven't really played much since high school, aside from occasionally hitting with the team here. I did all the junior tournaments and such, and played on our school team. But now I'm not really sure what's next for me. I feel like if I jumped right into some tournaments, I'd get destroyed because I'm so rusty. So what else is there more me to do, so that I can keep playing tennis? Keep in mind that as a college student, cheaper options are always better.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

iamgoat
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Just play. Enough said.

Grover Sparkman
05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
USTA leagues are a great way to keep playing and find new people to play with.

Caloi
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Move to Caucasia and I'll hook you up with a men's ladder league with over 60 guys on it. It's pretty competitive. ;)

Oh, there's also the USTA leagues. :)

tonyg11
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Find a club and play. Or be like most of the D1 players i've hit with in the past and end up fat with a beer gut 8 years later.

Mikey Fresh
05-20-2009, 08:14 PM
My dad plays usta leagues

jwr1972
05-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Play and get prepared to get plastered to the court a few times before you find your groove and toughness. USTA is good from what I hear and also I play in the Atlanta area. We have KSwiss, ALTA, leaguetennis.com,peachtennis.com,etc. I'm lucky I guess.

Gemini
05-21-2009, 05:57 AM
^^ What he said. Depending on where you live, check out the USTA web site for opportunities to play. Atlantan's are fortunate to have ALTA, USTA, T2, K-Swiss, etc. Way too many ways to get lost in tennis here.

Tnsguy25
05-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm going to be a senior in college next year (21 years old right now), and I'm trying to figure out how I can keep up with my tennis. I didn't play on the school team here. We're a D3 college, and I just didn't have the time to devote to the team. I have hit with them and could definitely compete with them, though.

To my dismay, I haven't really played much since high school, aside from occasionally hitting with the team here. I did all the junior tournaments and such, and played on our school team. But now I'm not really sure what's next for me. I feel like if I jumped right into some tournaments, I'd get destroyed because I'm so rusty. So what else is there more me to do, so that I can keep playing tennis? Keep in mind that as a college student, cheaper options are always better.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had a similar thread that can be found here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=259697

I am in a similar situation as I am moving into the working world and wanting to know how to get back into tennis. I played a lot during high school, but dropped off significantly during college and am itching to return.

You wouldn't happen to be in the DC area, would you?

WBF
05-23-2009, 10:41 AM
It really depends on where you play. Where my parents live (east coast) there is a league between the various local clubs, with players ranging from high 4.5 to former top D3 and D1 players.

USTA leagues are also a good way to meet people, but it can be hard to find a team to play with if you don't know anyone.

Personally, I played in local tournaments, got to know a few people, and ended up on a decent team. Got to know a few people who I could call if I had time to hit...

plasma
05-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't get it, why don't you join the team??? sounds like you could easily challenge for a top 3 seed. Heck if you won the conferences you could potentially qualify to be switched to a D2 team.

21 and no time to joint the team when it sounds like you'd be really appreciated there and could develop into an advanced player???? is it work or school that's gettin in the way schedulewise?

College teams are free and awesome, pls reconsider joining the team. THe only references or contacts that I have kept from college 15 years back, are my friends/teammates. Hours on the bus riding to challenge other schools on some remote windy court were the best days of my life.
Better comradery than I've ever found elsewhere, and at the time it just seemd like a fun blow-off thing to do.

WBF
05-24-2009, 06:22 AM
If you want a remotely active social life and to get something out of your courses, college tennis can be difficult.

subaru3169
05-26-2009, 11:08 AM
i'm currently in the same situation, well kind of.. i didn't play or compete throughout college but i was competing as a junior.. now that i've finished, i've already joined a local club trying to pick up my game again.. quite a few of these folks in my club play league, which is something a bit out of my element as they are mostly doubles players and i am only familiar with how the infrastructure of junior singles work.. but once i'm at 100%, i'll be competing again

zapvor
05-27-2009, 05:42 AM
I had a similar thread that can be found here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=259697

I am in a similar situation as I am moving into the working world and wanting to know how to get back into tennis. I played a lot during high school, but dropped off significantly during college and am itching to return.

You wouldn't happen to be in the DC area, would you?

check the ODDs&ends thread. we have a MAC chapter that's full of DC metro players.

ttbrowne
05-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Do you 'love' tennis or just 'like' it?
If you love it, go into it fulltime. There are never enuf tennis pros. I'm talking teaching and instruction. You have enough time in your life right now to get your PTR certification. It's work but go for it...if you love it.