PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe talking about Nadal and Roland Garros

nadal
05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
History is in Nadal’s grasp and McEnroe believes Novak Djokovic has the best shot of stopping the muscular Mallorcan.

“Despite the results this past weekend on clay in Madrid — Novak Djokovic testing Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer beating him for the title, the question in Paris is not ‘Can anyone beat Nadal?’….it’s ‘Can anyone take a set from him?’ That’s what it’s come to at Roland Garros,” McEnroe says. “The fact that he has improved so much on the other surfaces has actually helped his clay court game. Others in the past who made adjustments to better themselves on faster surfaces — Lendl, Wilander and Courier come to mind — saw their clay court play suffer. Nadal is serving better, being more aggressive with his backhand and coming inside the court more often. He’s absolutely steamrolling people. He used to win on clay with his defense, now he is as good an offensive player. It’s scary to see he’s so much better than he already was. We’re watching history — he’s on his way to surpassing Bjorn Borg as the best ever on clay, and he has a serious chance at the Grand Slam this year.

“As for Federer, the most common question I get asked is ‘What’s wrong with Roger?’ Well, until he loses early in a major you can’t ask. He has been in the last four Grand Slam finals and has an amazing streak of reaching at least the semis in 19 straight majors. So you can’t write him off. What he did Sunday was impressive; he played the right style — was aggressive and didn’t get into many long rallys. It’s the first time I’ve seen him adjust his game on clay versus Nadal. But the biggest factor was the altitude in Madrid, which helps a big server. He is capable of losing to a number of people and that streak is in jeopardy. Even though Nadal defeated Djokovic in the semis in Spain, in a best-of-five match he still has the best chance to upset the reigning four-time champ.”

http://www.nadalnews.com/2009/05/19/johnny-mac-lurves-rafa/#more-5341

veroniquem
05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
It is not the first time Fed "adjusts" his game against Rafa on clay. He did it as well at Hamburg 2007. It's easy to be aggressive vs a passive worn out Nadal. It will fail massively vs "warrior" Rafa.

Swissv2
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
You better watch out if Nadal gets "tired" at RG then! LOL

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 09:21 PM
It is not the first time Fed "adjusts" his game against Rafa on clay. He did it as well at Hamburg 2007. It's easy to be aggressive vs a passive worn out Nadal. It will fail massively vs "warrior" Rafa.

Damn, you want his room key, don't you???

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Like Federer was trying his 100% in that final (Madrid) as well. So cut the BS.

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Only way Nadal loses to Fed in final. The day of the Semis Fed completes his match barely before it rains. Nadal is forced to play the Semis on Saturday and plays an exhausting match with Djokovic. Nadal wins in over 4 hours. Nadal loses to Fed from exhaustion in the Finals. A lot of things have to go wrong for Nadal to lose.

Swissv2
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Only way Nadal loses to Fed in final. The day of the Semis Fed completes his match barely before it rains. Nadal is forced to play the Semis on Saturday and plays an exhausting match with Djokovic. Nadal wins in over 4 hours. Nadal loses to Fed from exhaustion in the Finals. A lot of things have to go wrong for Nadal to lose.
So long as Nadal is "tired" he will lose ;) (hey, just calling it as people are sayin it, LOL)

LanceStern
05-19-2009, 10:04 PM

What was the point of saying this?

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
What was the point of saying this?
That Fed can't beat Nadal 100% on clay.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM

no one gonna beat nadal 100% at the FO for a long time, maybe nalbandian, i dont know.

federer bt nadal fair and square in madrid, if nadal is supposedly the fittest player the sport has ever seen then he can play a few long matches in the space of a few days.........and didn't he get a days rest.

LanceStern
05-19-2009, 10:10 PM

And why would she mention that for any reason?

federer bt nadal fair and square in madrid, if nadal is supposedly the fittest player the sport has ever seen then he can play a few long matches in the space of a few days.........and didn't he get a days rest.

Truth and truth, but I don't think it's a days rest. Nadal goes to sleep for say 6-8 hours (if that much because you're still on that high from winning a great match), but then you have to wake up and train and warm up and get ready to play Fed. So it's hardly a days rest

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Okay they're athletes. Not freakin housewives that need days rest. Both Nadal and Federer didnt put 100% into the Madrid final and Federer still won. Period.

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
And why would she mention that for any reason?

Truth and truth, but I don't think it's a days rest. Nadal goes to sleep for say 6-8 hours (if that much because you're still on that high from winning a great match), but then you have to wake up and train and warm up and get ready to play Fed. So it's hardly a days rest
Some Fed fans like to blow off the part that Nadal was exhausted for the final. Like Nadal threw everything at Fed and Fed figured something out. Even to the point of some saying it would translate to RG. Not even close. Vamos!

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Some Fed fans like to blow off the part that Nadal was exhausted for the final. Like Nadal threw everything at Fed and Fed figured something out. Even to the point of some saying it would translate to RG. Not even close. Vamos!

Dude Fed did not throw everything at Nadal either. In fact Fed was playing in like 60% gear. Yet he won. So STFU man.

P_Agony
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Actually it's easy when your serve doesn't let you down. The serve is the most important shot in the game, and Fed's serve was brilliant in that match. He kept Nadal guessing, and Nadal's return game really suffered from it. Fed also went for his shots without fear. Sure, some of them were unforced errors, but some were winners, and some forced Nadal to errors. Finally, Federer also excuted the dropp shot to perfection. The best drop shot in the sport by far, as proven both aginst Del Potro and against Nadal.

TheNatural
05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
History is in Nadal’s grasp and McEnroe believes Novak Djokovic has the best shot of stopping the muscular Mallorcan.

“Despite the results this past weekend on clay in Madrid — Novak Djokovic testing Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer beating him for the title, the question in Paris is not ‘Can anyone beat Nadal?’….it’s ‘Can anyone take a set from him?’ That’s what it’s come to at Roland Garros,” McEnroe says. “The fact that he has improved so much on the other surfaces has actually helped his clay court game. Others in the past who made adjustments to better themselves on faster surfaces — Lendl, Wilander and Courier come to mind — saw their clay court play suffer. Nadal is serving better, being more aggressive with his backhand and coming inside the court more often. He’s absolutely steamrolling people. He used to win on clay with his defense, now he is as good an offensive player. It’s scary to see he’s so much better than he already was. We’re watching history — he’s on his way to surpassing Bjorn Borg as the best ever on clay, and he has a serious chance at the Grand Slam this year.

“As for Federer, the most common question I get asked is ‘What’s wrong with Roger?’ Well, until he loses early in a major you can’t ask. He has been in the last four Grand Slam finals and has an amazing streak of reaching at least the semis in 19 straight majors. So you can’t write him off. What he did Sunday was impressive; he played the right style — was aggressive and didn’t get into many long rallys. It’s the first time I’ve seen him adjust his game on clay versus Nadal. But the biggest factor was the altitude in Madrid, which helps a big server. He is capable of losing to a number of people and that streak is in jeopardy. Even though Nadal defeated Djokovic in the semis in Spain, in a best-of-five match he still has the best chance to upset the reigning four-time champ.”

All the stars aligned in Madrid for Federer. Mcenroe is spot on he knows Fed only won because Nadal was worn out due to no rest day between matches and because the altitude helped his biggest weapon and masked his biggest weaknesses by helping to keep the points short.

With the extra rest day at Roland Garros no one will be tired, so the better player will win. Joker showed in Rome that hes the number 2 on the real clay. Anyone who doesn't see Joker as Nadal's biggest threat is Blind.

Federer has to get over 80% of first serves in to have a chance to beat Joker or Nadal on the Roland Garros clay to make up for their baseline superiority, but even then he'll probably still lose. Notice how the *******s always focus on the first serve % every time Federer loses instead of focusing on his baseline inferiority?The baseline inferiority is always explained in terms of a mental lapse, or mono, or some other rubbish excuse...lol

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Dude Fed did not throw everything at Nadal either. In fact Fed was playing in like 60% gear. Yet he won. So STFU man.
Fed played the best he could. No way he could play better. Nadal played alright for 8 games. Then had a horrible service game and lost the set. Something was not right you knew after that game.

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
All the stars aligned in Madrid for Federer. Mcenroe is spot on he knows Fed only won because Nadal was worn out due to no rest day between matches and because the altitude helped his biggest weapon and masked his biggest weaknesses by keeping the points as short as possible.

With the extra rest day at Roland Garros no one will be tired, so the better player will win. Joker showed in Rome that hes the number 2 on the real clay. Anyone who doesn't see Joker as Nadal's biggest threat is Blind.

Federer has to get over 80% of first serves in to have a chance to beat Joker or Nadal on the Roland Garros clay to make up for their baseline superiority, but even then he'll probably still lose. Notice how the *******s always focus on the first serve % every time Federer loses instead of focusing on his baseline inferiority?The baseline inferiority is always explained in terms of a mental lapse, or mono, or some other rubbish excuse...lol
Agreed. Rome is very similar to Roland Garros in my opinion. You are a great poster.

OddJack
05-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Mac better stick to his commentator duties. He is one of the worst when it comes to predictions. He once stood on his head in front of tv because he wrongly predicted a match. Two things mac cant do: coaching and odds making.

Things change quickly in tennis.

Here is my prediction:

When Nadal loses his FO crown he wont even make the final.

If he does, I hope it's against Roger.

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, tennis isn't for him then.

Thats like saying I am the worlds greatest marathon runner. But I get tired after 5kms.. And I only like to run on flat tracks, and it can't be at altitude...

Oh, and can I run at night. I don't like the sun....
A new poster but yet you act like you've been here for awhile as an old troll name. I can see why some think you are Chris_In_Japan

Nadal_Freak
05-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Pin head. I am in Australia..
So was he.

delphi17
05-19-2009, 10:44 PM

Thats like saying I am the worlds greatest marathon runner. But I get tired after 5kms.. And I only like to run on flat tracks, and it can't be at altitude...

your analogy is so bad..
are you sure you are australian?

R_Federer
05-19-2009, 10:46 PM

+1.............

gj011
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
A new poster but yet you act like you've been here for awhile as an old troll name. I can see why some think you are Chris_In_Japan

He is indeed ChrisInJapan, just exposed himself in another thread. Should have figured it our earlier.

Tennis_Bum
05-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Your response is funny, especially the last sentence. I don't know if Fed played 60% or so, if he did then I am very happy. But I think Fed played to really test himself to see how far his game was in term of the French. Of course, a win was a boost to his confidence. Let's hope he could continue to serve well and move well. His forehand better not let him down this time or he'll have a really hard time getting to the final, regardless who will be there.

gj011
05-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I have to be honest. You are becoming very boring now.. You really need to move on you half-witt...

First its some mike guy, now I am a Chris..:-?

No you are Chris. I must admit it took me longer than usual to figure you out.

FD3S
05-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I have to be honest. You are becoming very boring now.. You really need to move on you half-witt...

First its some mike guy, now I am a Chris..:-?

I totally pegged you for a Bob. Or a Kenny. I guess Wolfgang works, too.

Tennis_Bum
05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
All the stars aligned in Madrid for Federer. Mcenroe is spot on he knows Fed only won because Nadal was worn out due to no rest day between matches and because the altitude helped his biggest weapon and masked his biggest weaknesses by helping to keep the points short.

You are beyond blind. Fed was ahead of Djoko in Rome but lost it not because Djoko outplayed him. Fed broke Djoko in set 2 and set 3 but self-destruct. Don't ask me how to explain it. He was struggling big time, but the point is that Djoko wasn't playing great tennis. Fed just let the opportunities slipped away in Rome. So Djoko is not #2 clay player by a long shot. No, Murray ain't it either. Murray sucks on clay and is overrated as a player. I sure hope Fed makes to the final and meets Nadal. I just want to see if Fed could prove all the critics wrong again.

Could it be that Nadal be upset before the final? McEnroe doesn't know everything and isn't always right about tennis. So let's see what will happen this year at the French.

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Who's ChrisInJapan? And why is he so infamous???

FD3S
05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
A poster that was banned a while ago, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if he was ever truly infamous - confrontational at times, and he could definitely rub people the wrong way, but he seemed like an okay poster to me, with a fair bit of tennis knowledge. (Nowhere near nadalgirl in terms of being irritating.)

Plus, the dude did an ace job on a Pure Drive repaint a while back.

TheNatural
05-19-2009, 11:34 PM
You are beyond blind. Fed was ahead of Djoko in Rome but lost it not because Djoko outplayed him. Fed broke Djoko in set 2 and set 3 but self-destruct. Don't ask me how to explain it. He was struggling big time, but the point is that Djoko wasn't playing great tennis. Fed just let the opportunities slipped away in Rome. So Djoko is not #2 clay player by a long shot. No, Murray ain't it either. Murray sucks on clay and is overrated as a player. I sure hope Fed makes to the final and meets Nadal. I just want to see if Fed could prove all the critics wrong again.

Could it be that Nadal be upset before the final? McEnroe doesn't know everything and isn't always right about tennis. So let's see what will happen this year at the French.

I'll explain it for you :Self destruct, mental collapse= baseline inferiority

Mcenroe knows what hes talking about.In Rome, Joker started set 2 and 3 slowly then he dominated and won 5-0 in both those sets. After starting the sets slowly he took Federer apart and broke him at will

P_Agony
05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
I'll explain it for you :Self destruct, mental collapse= baseline inferiority

Mcenroe knows what hes talking about.In Rome, Joker started set 2 and 3 slowly then he dominated and won 5-0 in both those sets. After starting the sets slowly he took Federer apart and broke him at will

It's funny how when Federer self-destructs against Djokovic, saying that he beats himself is "mere excuses" and "not giving any credit to Djokovic". Yet, when Fed beats Nadal, excuses like "He was tired" are perfectly legit.

hypocrisy at its best.

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Agreed. Instead of self destructing. Maybe he should have said he was tired.

Then the Naltards would shower him with love and support:)

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

And don't mind gj011 - he's just a troll.

TheNatural
05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the forum by the way :)

And don't mind gj011 - he's just a troll.

You mean welcome his new username to the forum. :)

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 12:03 AM
You mean welcome his new username to the forum. :)

Huh?

10 chars

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Whatever:roll:

Am I missing something here? I didn't get what he mean...

Edit: Oh, right. Yes, everytime someone argues with gj011 he adds them to the "green troll army of vtimke". I doubt he has more than 5 people on this forum who can stand him at this point.

TheNatural
05-20-2009, 12:05 AM
You win some you lose some. Its called sport..

So what?

Exactly so what if Joker is the 2nd best on clay now.Whats the big deal for the *******s, it's not like they'll give Federer a special prize if he was the 2nd best on clay.

nadal
05-20-2009, 12:08 AM
P AGONY your profile picture is very old from 2 years you must better change it and live now instead of living in the past CHECK THE RANKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Exactly so what if Joker is the 2nd best on clay now.Whats the big deal for the *******s, it's not like they'll give Federer a special prize if he was the 2nd best on clay.

The 2nd clay courter is the one that will reach the FO final. The 1st clay courter is the one that will win it. All other tournys mean squat compared to FO, so while I'm happy Fed won Madrid, if he doesn't reach the FO final and Djoko does, I will consider Noval the 2nd best clay courter. Of course, if Nadal somehow losses the FO, I will not consider him the best clay courter of the season, despite winning Rome, MC, and Barcelona.

The majors are just that much bigger than everything else.

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 12:11 AM
P AGONY your profile picture is very old from 2 years you must better change it and live now instead of living in the past CHECK THE RANKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm aware of the rankings, thank you.

For me Federer is and will always be #1. I recgonize Nadal is the best player in the world today. He's a great champion, acheived a lot in very little time, has a fighting spirit like no other, etc.

But still, I'm a fan of Federer, and I will support Federer, thus for me he is #1.

TheNatural
05-20-2009, 12:17 AM
The 2nd clay courter is the one that will reach the FO final. The 1st clay courter is the one that will win it. All other tournys mean squat compared to FO, so while I'm happy Fed won Madrid, if he doesn't reach the FO final and Djoko does, I will consider Noval the 2nd best clay courter. Of course, if Nadal somehow losses the FO, I will not consider him the best clay courter of the season, despite winning Rome, MC, and Barcelona.

The majors are just that much bigger than everything else.

That's normally the case but since Nadal dominated Fed so easily in the 2008 FO final, we have to use common sense and give consideration for Joker being the 2nd best, and any reasonable person would see that he was the 2nd best based on him reaching the semi and giving Nadal a considerably tougher match than Fed at the FO 08.

mandy01
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Agreed. Instead of self destructing. Maybe he should have said he was tired.

Then the Naltards would shower him with love and support:) The *******s wouldnt stop trash-talking him no matter what he did :lol:
The rules change when it comes to Roger Federer
Everytime Nad boy says he's tired and injured,he has pain in his famous *****,
Altitude caused problems etc etc.he's giving reasons and nobody should call him out on it.
When Roger gives his reasons,he's condescending,arrogant and there'll be DOZENS of idiotic threads .

Leublu tennis
05-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Both Nadal and Federer didnt put 100% into the Madrid final and Federer still won. Period.Read this for an intelligent analysis of Roger's game in Madrid.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=262306

bolo
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM

Mcenroe is right, the question is how many sets will nadal lose at RG! :)

Cyan
05-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Exactly. The 2 flukes of Fed vs Rafa on clay(Hamburg 2007, Madrid 2009) were when Rafa was dead tired at the end of the claycourt season.

ksbh
05-20-2009, 08:32 AM
James ... if I may take the liberty to answer that question!

ChrisInJapan is a (ex?)-forum member fortunate enough to have a daughter that is so intelligent that at 6 years of age, she can analyze tennis styles to conclude that Federer is a better player than Nadal! ROFL X 100!

As to why he is infamous, I can only hazard a guess but perhaps because his outrageous claims about his daughter suggest that he does not have the intelligence of a 6 year old?! Of course, the little girl must be 7 by now :)

Who's ChrisInJapan? And why is he so infamous???

MichaelChang
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
James ... if I may take the liberty to answer that question!

ChrisInJapan is a (ex?)-forum member fortunate enough to have a daughter that is so intelligent that at 6 years of age, she can analyze tennis styles to conclude that Federer is a better player than Nadal! ROFL X 100!

As to why he is infamous, I can only hazard a guess but perhaps because his outrageous claims about his daughter suggest that he does not have the intelligence of a 6 year old?! Of course, the little girl must be 7 by now :)

Verbal attacks on other people's family, especially a little girl, is not gentlemen's behavior.

vtmike
05-20-2009, 08:54 AM

That Nadal can't beat Fed 100% on hard & grass.

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
That Nadal can't beat Fed 100% on hard & grass.
Nadal did it twice lately. Australian Open and Wimbledon. :)

R_Federer
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM

Who said Federer was 100% at last years Wimbledon? Remember mono? If you people use the same excuses for Nadal I dont see why we cant use the same for Federer.

As for Australian Open we can also use an excuse similar to Nadal of altitude...where we can say the courts are slow in Australian Open and the result would be different in a US Open match :).

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Who said Federer was 100% at last years Wimbledon? Remember mono? If you people use the same excuses for Nadal I dont see why we cant use the same for Federer.

As for Australian Open we can also use an excuse similar to Nadal of altitude...where we can say the courts are slow in Australian Open and the result would be different in a US Open match :).
A slam is a slam. But yeah the difference between the Australian Open and the US Open is about the same between the French Open and Madrid speed wise.

ksbh
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Chang ... good point, but let me bring to your attention that the claim about his daughter was made by the stated poster himself. I didn't make it up!

Verbal attacks on other people's family, especially a little girl, is not gentlemen's behavior.

vtmike
05-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Fed was NOT at 100% in those matches...He was exhausted after being number 1 for four years in a row... :)

tonyg11
05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Mac better stick to his commentator duties. He is one of the worst when it comes to predictions. He once stood on his head in front of tv because he wrongly predicted a match. Two things mac cant do: coaching and odds making.

Things change quickly in tennis.

Here is my prediction:

When Nadal loses his FO crown he wont even make the final.

If he does, I hope it's against Roger.

McEnroe is probably one of the best tennis analysts in the world as well as the best comentator. You have no idea what you're talking about.

He also stood on his head as a joke because he bet he'd do that if Krajicek blew a 6-0 lead in a tiebreak which he did and which i saw live on TV. Not because he wongly predicted a match. Damn 14 year old kids.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Fed was NOT at 100% in those matches...He was tired after being number 1 for four years in a row...

Federer was 100% fit in both matches before the Wimbledon final Fed didn't drop a set and the Australian it was Nadal who wasn't a 100% whilst Federer was.

mandy01
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Federer was 100% fit in both matches before the Wimbledon final Fed didn't drop a set and the Australian it was Nadal who wasn't a 100% whilst Federer was. bull..Nadal had a day's rest.
Wimbledon final-Roger clearly did not play well..it wasnt just Nadal who played great it was a case of Roger being extremely poor esp.in the first two sets in the way he played.His unforced errors were ....scary.
That said-Rafa is a bad match-up for Roger so he can beat Roger at 100%
Nevertheless Roger can also beat Nadal at 100% but if he himself plays extremely well.
And no I dont buy the tired and injured excuse..and the altitude excuse.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 09:46 AM
bull..Nadal had a day's rest.

He had a 5 hour match the match finished late into the night so it would have messed up his sleeping pattern whilst Federer had 2 days rest.

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
He had a 5 hour match the match finished late into the night so it would have messed up his sleeping pattern whilst Federer had 2 days rest.
Sleeping patterns aren't that bad when you don't play until night after a day off. Nadal was definitely fresher for his Final with Federer in the Australian Open due to 22 hours more rest and one night/day more of sleep.

mandy01
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
He had a 5 hour match the match finished late into the night so it would have messed up his sleeping pattern whilst Federer had 2 days rest. he's not a delicate flower.He's a professional athlete.And if he won that final I'm not buying the excuse.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 09:52 AM
he's not a delicate flower.He's a professional athlete.And if he won that final I'm not buying the excuse.

Vtmike said Federer wasn't at a 100% for the final I was just saying he was closer to a 100% than Nadal due to having 2 days off and Nadal playing a 5 hour match I never said Nadal was exhausted.

mandy01
05-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Vtmike said Federer wasn't at a 100% for the final I was just saying he was closer to a 100% than Nadal due to having 2 days off and Nadal playing a 5 hour match I never said Nadal was exhausted. Did you look at Roger's serve ?
His serving had been bad throughout the tournament except for the QF & SF
He had 20 DFs in total.Something I havent seen by a stretch of time.
Nevertheless your overall statement isnt wrong.Therein lies the match up issue.

vtmike
05-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Vtmike said Federer wasn't at a 100% for the final I was just saying he was closer to a 100% than Nadal due to having 2 days off and Nadal playing a 5 hour match I never said Nadal was exhausted.

You said Fed was 100% in those matches but Rafa was not...

Federer was 100% fit in both matches before the Wimbledon final Fed didn't drop a set and the Australian it was Nadal who wasn't a 100% whilst Federer was.

So let me get this straight...When Nadal beats Fed, Fed is at 100% but when Fed beats Nadal, Nadal is not at 100% :confused:

See how your * shines through?

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
You said Fed was 100% in those matches but Rafa was not...

So let me get this straight...When Nadal beats Fed, Fed is at 100% but when Fed beats Nadal, Nadal is not at 100% :confused:

See how your * shines through?

Hypocrisy at its finest when you said the reason Federer lost to Nadal at the Wimbledon and Australian because Federer wasn't a 100%:oops:.

maximo
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Hypocrisy at its finest when you said the reason Federer lost to Nadal at the Wimbledon and Australian because Federer wasn't a 100%:oops:.

Go back to haterville.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Go back to haterville.

Why are you stalking me :confused:.

vtmike
05-20-2009, 10:12 AM

That was a sarcastic reply to Nadal_Freak's post on how Nadal is never 100% when Fed beats him...You need to reread the thread before coming to conclusions!

and if you agree with him then you really need to look in the mirror...

TennezSport
05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Read this for an intelligent analysis of Roger's game in Madrid.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=262306

Thanks for sharing that link. Fair and impartial review of the match with some telling stats. I think other players are starting to figure Raf out, so this could be a very interesting FO indeed. If Raf does lose this years FO (unlikely), it will not be one player but a series of tougher matches that could do the damage. Only time will tell.

CHeers, TennezSport :cool:

babolat15
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
i tought fed was playing great, i dont think he has a shot at FO tho

wangs78
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Actually it's easy when your serve doesn't let you down. The serve is the most important shot in the game, and Fed's serve was brilliant in that match. He kept Nadal guessing, and Nadal's return game really suffered from it. Fed also went for his shots without fear. Sure, some of them were unforced errors, but some were winners, and some forced Nadal to errors. Finally, Federer also excuted the dropp shot to perfection. The best drop shot in the sport by far, as proven both aginst Del Potro and against Nadal.

Agreed. Roger played aggressive and enough of his shots worked in key moments to keep him focused on the match. Usually, Nadal will capitalize on his first break point and if that had happened in Madrid, Nadal would have probably won the first set bc we all know how Roger doesn't exactly play his best when coming from behind against Nadal. That was the difference. Roger saved a couple of breaks and then converted his first one. Usually it's the other way around between these two guys.

wangs78
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
i tought fed was playing great, i dont think he has a shot at FO tho

Me neither. But I actually think that this is the first year where Roger will go into the FO with very little pressure. Even if he makes it to the final and has to face Nadal, everyone is going to expect him to lose, probalby even himself. I think this is actually good for him bc Roger can play more freely if he thinks he's going to lose anyway. So watch out, I think Roger could surprise us this year. With that said, if I were a betting man, I would still bet on Rafa.

P_Agony
05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Exactly. The 2 flukes of Fed vs Rafa on clay(Hamburg 2007, Madrid 2009) were when Rafa was dead tired at the end of the claycourt season.

You mean the same Rafa who beat a sick Federer at Wimbly and afterwards he beat Fed in the AO who suffered from a bad back?

This goes both ways buddy. If Fed didn't beat a 100% Nadal, Nadal sure as hell didn't beat a 100% Fed.

TheTruth
05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Great post. Glad to see McEnroe finally coming off of all that rubbish talk and telling it like it is.

Oh, and agree with nadal, you are a great poster!

TheTruth
05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
It's funny how when Federer self-destructs against Djokovic, saying that he beats himself is "mere excuses" and "not giving any credit to Djokovic". Yet, when Fed beats Nadal, excuses like "He was tired" are perfectly legit.

hypocrisy at its best.

You're talking about hypocrisy,

when on the one hand, you're saying Fed self-destructed and Djokovic didn't beat him fair and square? So, you're not giving Djokovic any credit at all.

However, you say Nadal is not tired after winning three tournaments in a row with little rest in between, but Fed won fair and square. Fed just lifted his game, but Djokovic didn't?

I don't know. That doesn't make sense to me.