PDA

View Full Version : Will Federer ever win the French Open

King of Aces
05-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Im sorry but he just plays the wrong style of tennis to win at the FO.

drakulie
05-20-2009, 05:46 AM

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/561-1/forcelady2.gif

dadozen
05-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Itīs not that he plays the wrong style, he just had the bad luck to play Nadal all the times he reached the finals.

If he played the wrong style of tennis, he wouldn't have reached the finals 3 times in a row. If Nadal wasn't at his best all those years, or if Fed played against any other player at one of these years, I'm sure he would have completed the Grand Slam already.

I'm hoping to see him win RG once. So I'll consider myself lucky enough to see one great player completing the Slam Tour.

sureshs
05-20-2009, 06:11 AM
It is the wrong style if it doesn't produce a win. So what if he beats other players? They have mentally surrendered to Federer before they step on court. Federer needs to handle high balls on his backhand with confidence and keep long rallies going without spraying the ball off either wing. It requires a different mentality. Drop shot, his new weapon, isn't going to help him because a fresh Nadal will eat those up. He will be there and waiting even before Fed's drop shot has crossed the net.

svijk
05-20-2009, 06:17 AM
If playing style is key, all past champions would have the same style; but they don't. Nadal, Agassi, Kuerten, Courier, Bruguera all have contrasting styles.
Federer does have the game to win it, however he does need to make some subtle tactical changes and also portray some confidence and aggression on court. He is certainly capable of winning.

sh@de
05-20-2009, 06:27 AM
I say no. Nadal just has his number at RG. It's a problem of match up and play style, not 'who's better'.

Swissv2
05-20-2009, 06:33 AM

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/facepalm.jpg

fanofed
05-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I think this year he has maybe his best chance yet. He beat Rafa at Hamburg before but this time no one was giving him a chance and he pulled of a convincing straight set victory.

dadozen
05-20-2009, 06:39 AM
If playing style is key, all past champions would have the same style; but they don't. Nadal, Agassi, Kuerten, Courier, Bruguera all have contrasting styles. Federer does have the game to win it, however he does need to make some subtle tactical changes and also portray some confidence and aggression on court. He is certainly capable of winning.

Exactly. Kuerten, for example, was a baseline (strong)hitter with an average mobility and he used everytime he could his great drop shots( the new thing that Fedhaters are criticzing now ).

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/facepalm.jpg

LMFAOROF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice!

AprilFool
05-20-2009, 06:40 AM
It is the wrong style if it doesn't produce a win. So what if he beats other players? They have mentally surrendered to Federer before they step on court. Federer needs to handle high balls on his backhand with confidence and keep long rallies going without spraying the ball off either wing. It requires a different mentality. Drop shot, his new weapon, isn't going to help him because a fresh Nadal will eat those up. He will be there and waiting even before Fed's drop shot has crossed the net.

It depends on where Nadal is when it's employed. Besides, I don't think that hitting the ball constantly to Fed's backhand is going to work this year...

gj011
05-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Nope. Too late. Had his chances, and didn't take them. The window is closed for him now.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Nope.

10 char

Cyan
05-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Will they ever play the FO in the altitude?

RalphNYC
05-20-2009, 07:03 AM
The way he played against Nadal at Madrid (I know, faster courts, tired Nadal etc etc) he can win the FO. Serving well, returning aggressively, coming to net, drop shotting to keep Nadal closer to the baseline, and keeping his unforced errors low. He will win if he does that, and I think he will.

Cyan
05-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Nope. Too late. Had his chances, and didn't take them. The window is closed for him now.

The next FO winner after Nadal will be Nole. Not this year though.

VivalaVida
05-20-2009, 07:08 AM
I dont think so :(

aphex
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

http://carlnet.no-ip.org/facepalm_implied.jpg

R_Federer
05-20-2009, 08:35 AM
LoL @ Djoker winning French and not Federer. I seriously think Federer will win the French this year...to set him up to win the WImbledon and claim the record there by getting his tittle back :D.

Dutch-Guy
05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
You can't put Fed and "winning FO" in the same sentence.:)

aphex
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM

http://www.funnychill.com/files/funny-pictures/not-funny.jpg

matchmaker
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Well, looks like you just did.:)

federerdomination
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Federer is winning FO 2009.

matchmaker
05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
If playing style is key, all past champions would have the same style; but they don't. Nadal, Agassi, Kuerten, Courier, Bruguera all have contrasting styles.
Federer does have the game to win it, however he does need to make some subtle tactical changes and also portray some confidence and aggression on court. He is certainly capable of winning.

Well, Nadal and Bruguera are all big topspinners.

Agassi and Courier are power baseliners with consistant and flat strokes.

Kuerten was great on both wings with a good serve.

I will have to follow the OP in this: Federer just does not have the right playing style for clay.

Sure he won Hamburg 2 years ago and now Madrid, but even in those matches you see he rushes points and that as it is a best of three, he gets away with it.

I don't think he can manage a best of five on clay against Nadal.

King of Aces
05-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Itīs not that he plays the wrong style, he just had the bad luck to play Nadal all the times he reached the finals.

Can you name another French open champion with a similar style to Federer? Maybe Nastase???? I dunno:confused:

tudwell
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
If Federer isn't exhausted in the final like he was last year, he should definitely take it.

jimbo333
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
He has every chance of winning it, if he stays mentally strong!!!

(and if Nadal is injured one year)

cknobman
05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Will the OP ever not be a troll? no

King of Aces
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
If Federer isn't exhausted in the final like he was last year, he should definitely take it.

or mono, or the sun or the wind, or his back, or blisters, or just not playing well.....etc etc etc

raiden031
05-20-2009, 12:36 PM

You can make this statement about every single player except Nadal. The only reason Fed hasn't won is because of Nadal. This is the exact same reason why nobody else has won it either (except Fed might've beaten everyone else as well had Nadal not been around). Its more about Nadal than it is about Fed.

127mph
05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
this is his last year to win it.

Dutch-Guy
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM

One can still dream.

R_Federer
05-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Federer is winning this French Open.

GameSampras
05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
If he continues getting cakewalks there by avoiding Djoker or maybe a Simon(someone of that sorts) BEFORE he gets to the finals where he has to deal with Nadal, there is always a chance for Fed IMO.

Though his window may be closed. Winning Madrid against a Fatigued nadal on a faster court is one thing, winning the French against a rested Nadal on the slower courts of RG is .

But if all he has to deal with en route to the finals are players like Roddick or Blake, then yes Fed still has a chance.

R_Federer
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
If he continues getting cakewalks there by avoiding Djoker or maybe a Simon(someone of that sorts) BEFORE he gets to the finals where he has to deal with Nadal, there is always a chance for Fed IMO.

Though his window may be closed. Winning Madrid against a Fatigued nadal on a faster court is one thing, winning the French against a rested Nadal on the slower courts of RG is .

But if all he has to deal with en route to the finals are players like Roddick or Blake, then yes Fed still has a chance.

What a nutjob. He has Del Potro/Murray in his side. You know whats F'n funny? During the Australian Open Nadal fans were saying Fed has the easier draw. Well who did he have in his draw? Djokovic. Nadal had Murray. Now Federer has Murray on his side yet he is the one with the easier draw :-?.

Last US Open Federer had Djoker on his side and Nadal fans said he has the easier draw. Now Nadal has Djoker on his side and Nadal fans say Federer has the easier draw :-?.

AprilFool
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I suppose it really depends on whether or not Nadal is tired or not.:twisted:

maddogz32
05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
if nadal is still around federer will never win FO

ApollosGuard
05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Sampras fans are just scared that fed will over take sampra's record so they like nadal even though he plays a completely different game than pete. but when nadal gets close to breaking petes record you will be rooting for the nadals rival

GameSampras
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM
What a nutjob. He has Del Potro/Murray in his side. You know whats F'n funny? During the Australian Open Nadal fans were saying Fed has the easier draw. Well who did he have in his draw? Djokovic. Nadal had Murray. Now Federer has Murray on his side yet he is the one with the easier draw :-?.

Last US Open Federer had Djoker on his side and Nadal fans said he has the easier draw. Now Nadal has Djoker on his side and Nadal fans say Federer has the easier draw :-?.

Del Potro and Murray on his side of the draw? My point exactly.. Its a JOKE at least on clay. Neither Murray or Del Potro are what I would call clay court phenomenons. Im sorry buts that just the way it is. The two best clay court players are on the opposite side of the draw and Fed never has to go through both of them.

Yes Murray is a tough tough hardcourt player but he sucks on clay so he isnt a tough draw any means at RG. Del Potro is pretty good but he plays right into Fed's hands everytime they play. Hes no compeition for Fed.

We were talking about clay courts right? Not other surfaces.

fastdunn
05-20-2009, 05:14 PM
As Federe said, he does NOT have clay problem and he just has Nadal problem on clay.

Just like Ivanesvic who did not have grass problem but Sampras problem.

If not Sampras, Ivanesvic could have won 3-4 Wimbledon's.
If not Nadal, Federer could have won 3-4 French Open.

Just like Ivanesvic, Federer will win French one day.... He grew up on clay and he is a slam worth clay courter. He just has to keep trying....

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM

Because in USO 2008, Djoko was worn out from his medal hunting in the Olympics, was a shadow of himself all tournament while Murray was completely fresh and also a tad better on fast hard courts than Djoko.
On clay, it's the opposite : Djoko is excellent and Murray not so much. That is why Fed didn't make the final in Rome, because Djoko was on his side of the draw.

oy vey
05-20-2009, 06:23 PM
No it's too late.

JeMar
05-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Can you name another French open champion with a similar style to Federer? Maybe Nastase???? I dunno:confused:

Noah won it serve and volleying, dummy.

That sets the other end of the spectrum, thereby everyone that fits between baseline grinding and serve and volleying has an acceptable style for winning Roland Garros.

crazylevity
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't understand Nadal fans sometimes. In Madrid he had to play what, 3 matches before the final, and he was exhausted/fatigued. At RG he has to play 6 matches before the final, what makes you think he won't be? Who is to say that his SF and/or QF opponents will not stretch him?

That said, it could happen to Federer as well. Someone taking him to 5 sets at a hardcourt slam is okay; he bagels someone else to make up for it (see Berdych, then Del Potro AO this year). But if it happens on clay, I don't see him recovering as well as on other surfaces.

devila
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Federer had free walkovers in the French, Wimbledon, Australia and US Open.

He managed to complain about the Nadal family's clapping, the challenge system, fake illness condition, crap injury and darkness.

devila
05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't understand Nadal fans sometimes. In Madrid he had to play what, 3 matches before the final, and he was exhausted/fatigued. At RG he has to play 6 matches before the final, what makes you think he won't be? Who is to say that his SF and/or QF opponents will not stretch him?

That said, it could happen to Federer as well. Someone taking him to 5 sets at a hardcourt slam is okay; he bagels someone else to make up for it (see Berdych, then Del Potro AO this year). But if it happens on clay, I don't see him recovering as well as on other surfaces.Del Potro is a poor tactician and unathletic.

BreakPoint
05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
It is the wrong style if it doesn't produce a win.
So then other than Nadal, EVERYBODY on the ATP Tour plays the wrong style, right? :-? :oops:
So what if he beats other players? They have mentally surrendered to Federer before they step on court.
Why? According to you, Federer plays the wrong style, so they should know they'll kick the butt of some loser playing the wrong style even before they step out on the court, right?

Drop shot, his new weapon, isn't going to help him because a fresh Nadal will eat those up. He will be there and waiting even before Fed's drop shot has crossed the net.
You mean waiting for those drop shots from 15 feet behind the baseline? :oops:

tennisplaya
05-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Someone this ugly cannot possibly win a French Open.

http://www.cctv.com/program/sportsscene/20080607/images/1212819974335_1212819974335_r.jpg

BreakPoint
05-21-2009, 12:41 AM

You're right. You have to be much uglier than that to win the French Open. :)

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/86358054.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19374ECC42B7A3FA40DE77A06E8A82EA236 284831B75F48EF45

DarthMaul
05-21-2009, 01:06 AM
http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/561-1/forcelady2.gif

LOL, drakulie. You have the best answers to the worst posts!

May the Force be with you :)

King of Aces
05-21-2009, 05:01 AM
So then other than Nadal, EVERYBODY on the ATP Tour plays the wrong style, right? :-? :oops:

:

For the most part yes. There are very few grinders left on the tour.

jelle v
05-21-2009, 05:17 AM
I don't know if Federer can win a French Open, I sure do hope so. To be honest, i think it will be very very very difficult with Nadal around. I do no think it is impossible. If Federer plays his absolute 100% and Nadal plays like 97% it definitely is possible for Federer to beat Nadal at the French (imo), but still will be pretty difficult. If Nadal keeps playing at 100% there is probably no one who can defeat him the coming years at Roland Garros.

So Nadal is playing in a weak clay court era?

King of Aces
05-21-2009, 06:16 AM
So Nadal is playing in a weak clay court era?

Not with Roger around.

Roger would have beaten Borg, Vilas, Lendl you name it. The only problem is that he is up against Nadal.

garcia_doomer
05-21-2009, 06:24 AM
really hard to say

samster
05-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Who cares "if this" or "if that". Let the players duke it out on the courts! Enjoy tennis!

carlos djackal
05-21-2009, 06:39 AM
presently i don't think he has the will to win it but three years ago....i have no doubt he could have won it but he just played the wrong game agianst rafa that time...

lawrence
05-21-2009, 07:11 AM
how can someone make the last 3 consecutive finals of a slam and be considered bad at it?

smh @ some of the people on this forum

gj011
05-21-2009, 07:19 AM
As Federe said, he does NOT have clay problem and he just has Nadal problem on clay.

Just like Ivanesvic who did not have grass problem but Sampras problem.

If not Sampras, Ivanesvic could have won 3-4 Wimbledon's.
If not Nadal, Federer could have won 3-4 French Open.

Just like Ivanesvic, Federer will win French one day.... He grew up on clay and he is a slam worth clay courter. He just has to keep trying....

There is one flaw in this logic. Ivanisevic and Sampras are the same age, while Nadal is 5 years younger than Federer.

jelle v
05-21-2009, 07:24 AM
There is one flaw in this logic. Ivanisevic and Sampras are the same age, while Nadal is 5 years younger than Federer.

Why is that a flaw.. comparison still stands. Both players get faced with a player that dominate on a particular surface and both player would probably have more Grand Slam titles on that particular surface if it weren't for the dominant player.

BullDogTennis
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
id almost go as far to say if he doesnt win it this year, then he probably wont ever win it.

gj011
05-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Why is that a flaw.. comparison still stands. Both players get faced with a player that dominate on a particular surface and both player would probably have more Grand Slam titles on that particular surface if it weren't for the dominant player.

Flaw is concluding that Federer will win FO at the end, like Ivanisevic won Wimbledon.
He won't because he is 5 years older than the dominant player standing in his way.

thejoe
05-21-2009, 10:25 AM

That's because it's dull, and nobody wants to play like a grinder.

King of Aces
05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
That's because it's dull, and nobody wants to play like a grinder.

I dont know...I am sure a lot of people would not mind being able to play like Nadal and I certainly find Rafa VERY exciting.

Besides what you dont get is that its not the style of play that makes tennis exciting ......but rather its the clash of styles that makes tennis exciting.

For example.....watching two serve and volleyers is BORING!!!!!! By the same token watching two baseliners is BORING!!!!!

But watching a clash of styles like Federer and Nadal, or Agassi and Sampras, or Mcenroe and Borg is what makes tennis exciting.

All-rounder
05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I dont know...I am sure a lot of people would not mind being able to play like Nadal and I certainly find Rafa VERY exciting.

Besides what you dont get is that its not the style of play that makes tennis exciting ......but rather its the clash of styles that makes tennis exciting.

For example.....watching two serve and volleyers is BORING!!!!!! By the same token watching two baseliners is BORING!!!!!

But watching a clash of styles like Federer and Nadal, or Agassi and Sampras, or Mcenroe and Borg is what makes tennis exciting.
I agree on your point watching two players with the same style is boring hence why two grinders is boring to me the way serve and volley is boring to you

fastdunn
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM

That's correct. But that does not mean Nadal will win French Open every single year.

ferocious4hand
05-21-2009, 12:02 PM
for christ sake, even GG won FO...what style is there needed to win?

All-rounder
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
That's correct. But that does not mean Nadal will win French Open every single year.
Try convincing nadal fans that

gj011
05-21-2009, 12:25 PM

That is correct, but that does not mean Federer will win FO, when Nadal does not win it if that happens.

All-rounder
05-21-2009, 12:28 PM
That is correct, but that does not mean Federer will win FO, when Nadal does not win it if that happens.
If nadal doesn't win FO then its everyone for the taking the way it should be not almost every player on tour giving up when they see nadal + clay

King of Aces
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree on your point watching two players with the same style is boring hence why two grinders is boring to me the way serve and volley is boring to you

no they are both equally boring to me.

Do you like watching two serve and volleyers play all day?? The points are over in a second. BORING!

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I gotta say no Federer will never win a FO title. He has been as close as he's gonna get. Whoever said that Nole will be the next winner of the FO is quite right IMO. Although I believe Nadal will win 2 more before that time. In all honestly it doesn't much matter to me who wins it this year or next or any other for that matter, as long as Federer doesn't win it. Just not a fan of him or his game.

hoodjem
05-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Will they ever play the FO in the altitude?
Yes, they are going to put the entire city of Paris on a big elevator.

vtmike
06-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Now please make a thread about how Fed plays the wrong style of tennis to win Wimbledon... :lol:

Oh and btw,

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/jstress/Fail.gif

Rexking
06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

edberg505
06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Now please make a thread about how Fed plays the wrong style of tennis to win Wimbledon... :lol:

Oh and btw,

Hahaha, that's awesome! It's kinda funny looking back and reading all these post now.

fps
06-07-2009, 10:54 AM
i guess the question now is

will federer ever win the french open.... again?

JeMar
06-07-2009, 10:59 AM
We need gj011 back, darn it.

Serendipitous
06-07-2009, 10:59 AM
We need gj011 back, darn it.

When is he coming back?

I miss him. :(

Gingerbread Cookie
06-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I suppose the FO organisers had a hunch this year when they were picking the poster:

http://i39.tinypic.com/ohobxf.jpg

King of Aces
06-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Congrats to Roger........

Its been rough for him this year.

But thye final was sort of boring and it just goes to show you that Roger and Rafa need each other.

Its just not the same. Lets face it , as far as entertainment value this was a terrible final.

drakulie
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM

Oh and btw,

That's AWeSoMe!!!!!!!!

Kaptain Karl
06-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Anytime a player can force a TB in a Major Final ... it's not the waste of time you are pretending....

- KK

abmk
06-12-2009, 09:40 PM
what a lovely thread :)

slicefox
06-12-2009, 10:12 PM
i love how these threads get revived after the OP goes totally wrong.

good stuff

vtmike
06-25-2009, 07:42 AM

The next FO winner after Nadal will be Nole. Not this year though.

********HATE********

http://www.cctv.com/program/sportsscene/20080607/images/1212819974335_1212819974335_r.jpg

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

vtmike
06-25-2009, 07:44 AM

Spot On!! Good Job!!

vtmike
06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
delete .

thejoe
06-25-2009, 08:02 AM
I still voted "no" even now.

PrinceMoron
06-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey, do you think Federer will ever win the FO twice in the same season?

Tennis_Bum
06-26-2009, 08:56 PM

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's hilarious. Man, that must hurt a lot. Are you *********s still crying?

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
LOL. *******s are crying.