PDA

View Full Version : Does the slow surface of the FO benefit the 1HBH?

Golden Retriever
05-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Many former FO winners have distinctively great 1HBH like Guga, Gaudio Costa. They didn't fare too well on other surfaces but shined at the FO.

Bud
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Many former FO winners have distinctively great 1HBH like Guga, Gaudio Costa. They didn't fare too well on other surfaces but shined at the FO.

A slower surface will always benefit a 1HBH... however, a slower surface also gives those with a 2HBH the same extra time to position themselves.

So, it's an advantage, regardless of your BH type.

wihamilton
05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I think the problem w/the FO clay is that the ball bounces higher up. So you may have not time to prepare but you'll be hitting more balls out of your comfort zone. That's why Nadal has been so successful against Federer -- the ball kicks up super high to Fed's BH.

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 09:04 AM
A slower surface will always benefit a 1HBH... however, a slower surface also gives those with a 2HBH the same extra time to position themselves.

So, it's an advantage, regardless of your BH type.
Tell that to Federer and Sampras. lol Depends on what type of backhand grip you have for that ohbh. Players like Wawrinka and Almagro do like slower clay courts.

Golden Retriever
05-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I am talking about players with exceptional 1HBH. Federer's 1HBH isn't exceptional.

Nadal_Freak
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I am talking about players with exceptional 1HBH. Federer's 1HBH isn't exceptional.
Gasquet prefers Wimbledon.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Gasquet prefers Wimbledon.

Haas prefers fast surfaces as well.