PDA

View Full Version : Not many grass events leading up to wimby - a good thing?

pete92
05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Makes wimby more interesting because there isnt as much indication of who is on form on the grass, so at wimbledon there are maybe more suprises and more new comers who are making great strides on grass..

Anyone agree?

T1000
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
it starts in monte carlo ;)

pete92
05-21-2009, 02:57 AM
no im talking about the green clay

but before it got slowed it was good to have no idea who could win

tennis-hero
05-21-2009, 03:03 AM
*******s and *******s would all support a grass masters

we don't need so many Hardcourts, so i suggest a slow hard court is replaced with grass
and a fast hard court is replaced with indoor carpet, at least we'd have variety again

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 06:26 AM
I say the less grass the better. Doesn't matter if it's slow or fast, it belongs on the golf course not the tennis court.

McLovin
05-21-2009, 06:30 AM
The problem is you would need either the French moved up a week or two, Wimbledon moved back a week or two, or a combination of both, in order to make room on the calendar.

Good luck w/ that...

gj011
05-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Madrid was played on the red grass, so ATP heard numerous complaints here and added grass masters tournament.

gj011
05-21-2009, 06:41 AM
The problem is you would need either the French moved up a week or two, Wimbledon moved back a week or two, or a combination of both, in order to make room on the calendar.

Good luck w/ that...

Yes neither Wimbledon not RG are willing to move their schedule.

batz
05-21-2009, 06:41 AM

we don't need so many Hardcourts, so i suggest a slow hard court is replaced with grass
and a fast hard court is replaced with indoor carpet, at least we'd have variety again

I think carpet has gone now.

bruce38
05-21-2009, 07:10 AM
How many Master's series events are played on grass?

batz
05-21-2009, 07:24 AM
How many Master's series events are played on grass?

That would be zero.

tudwell
05-21-2009, 07:27 AM
I say the less grass the better. Doesn't matter if it's slow or fast, it belongs on the golf course not the tennis court.

Lawn tennis started on grass. Hell, it's called lawn tennis. You play it on grass.

batz
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Lawn tennis started on grass. Hell, it's called lawn tennis. You play it on grass.

Beat me to it - well put.

vandre
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM
kinda off topic, but since neither the fo nor wimbledon is willing to move their dates, would it be possible to "tack on" some grass tourneys after wimbledon?

if seems like ppl either go back to clay or straight to hard courts right after wimbledon. you've already had 3 + months of clay (right?) and the us open series is ridiculously long. what is it, like 6 weeks or something??? and after a couple of weeks, most of the players have injured something. so why not shave a couple of weeks off the us open series and extend the grass court season???

let the flaming begin! :twisted:

Puma
05-21-2009, 07:46 AM
I for one would like to see more tourneys on grass, fast and slow. For me, a fan who watches on tv, it is interesting to see the adjustments players need to make. Or, if they can make any for that matter. I also like the variety. Too bad there aren't many grass events anymore....

But, last time I checked, no one asked me.

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Yes it started there. Before something better came along. It may have been called that at one time but not any more.

stormholloway
05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Yes it started there. Before something better came along. It may have been called that at one time but not any more.

You like spending your time on cement more than grass? When was the last time you had a picnic on the cement? What exactly is better about cement?

Ever played on grass? I have. I've never smiled so much while playing tennis in my life.

tacou
05-21-2009, 08:00 AM
concrete is better than grass? no sir

RalphNYC
05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I played on grass courts at Newport rhode island. It was like playing on a an old bed mattress, no bounce at all. I guess the Wim courts are a lot different.

Danstevens
05-21-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm neither a ******* or a ******* but at least one more grass event would be good. More variety would also be good.

Couldn't agree less, grass is by far my favourite surface both to play on and watch.

What surface do you prefer to grass and why?

All-rounder
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Well since there is not much difference between clay and Grass nowadays players should find it easy to adjust

Blinkism
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
it starts in monte carlo ;)

Or in Australia, according to some.

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
You like spending your time on cement more than grass? When was the last time you had a picnic on the cement? What exactly is better about cement?

Ever played on grass? I have. I've never smiled so much while playing tennis in my life.

Actually I do indeed enjoy spending my time on cement more. When was the last time I had a picnic on cement, just last week, when was the last time I had one on grass, not since I was a kid. Cement doesn't get you all itchy and smelly, that makes it better IMO.

Have I ever played on grass, yes, hated every minute of it and will never do so again if I can avoid it. H/C or Clay are much nicer although I prefer H/C mostly.

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm neither a ******* or a ******* but at least one more grass event would be good. More variety would also be good.

Couldn't agree less, grass is by far my favourite surface both to play on and watch.

What surface do you prefer to grass and why?

I prefer H/C or Clay to grass. Mostly H/C is my preference. I like that everything is consistant, the footing is good and the ball tends to bounce higher on both surfaces. When I played on grass I was so incredibly disappointed.

fastdunn
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Makes wimby more interesting because there isnt as much indication of who is on form on the grass, so at wimbledon there are maybe more suprises and more new comers who are making great strides on grass..

Anyone agree?

In general, Wimbledon has less surprises. It generally takes longer to master movements/bouces on grass. Not many tournament to practices. But these days it become a bit easier because the grass courts now bounces similar to other surfaces.

Nadal_Freak
05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
All tournaments should be played on clay and grass. It is more natural and easier on the joints.

oliver
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Really, grass is so much better. When playing on grass, you tend to feel free, relaxed, and go all out for everything (less thinking about possible consequences, i.e. falling), which is something I always like to encourage. It makes for some really great tennis.

Play on grass courts and you have the time of your life. Also--and this may just be a personal preference--I really enjoy the aesthetics of grass courts. Nice to look at IMO.