PDA

View Full Version : roddick is good on clay

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
he's won 5 claycourt titles, which is a great achievement for someone who wasn't brought up on clay.

he's won sets of nadal (all be it he was 18 at the time) and federer. and has beaten gaudio (FO 2004) davydenko, coria (RU 2004), sampras and robredo.

i think he could make the quaterfinals of FO this year, and then probably just fizzle out.............................

jamesblakefan#1
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
No.
10 char

West Coast Ace
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
The wins were at 2nd and 3rd tier events. At RG, the benchmark, his results are dismal.

batz
05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
No.
10 char

Made me LOL:)

Nice one mate.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Manny Pacquiao is a big Roddick fan lol.

Gugafan_Redux
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I love Roddick, but I gotta agree with JBF. He's a world class tennis player, and that's what won him those lower-level titles. Generally, in the way that we speak of at the top level, he is not good on clay.

Don't make me find a youtube of him standing 40 ft behind the baseline at RG.

batz
05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Manny Pacquiao is a big Roddick fan lol.

You think?:)

Thing is, I really like Roddick - but Manny's got the hots for him REAL bad.

Joseph L. Barrow
05-20-2009, 01:49 PM
he's won 5 claycourt titles, which is a great achievement for someone who wasn't brought up on clay.

he's won sets of nadal (all be it he was 18 at the time) and federer. and has beaten gaudio (FO 2004) davydenko, coria (RU 2004), sampras and robredo.

i think he could make the quaterfinals of FO this year, and then probably just fizzle out.............................
He is good on clay in the sense that 90% of the tour would be proud to have the clay court accomplishments he has. However, the conditions at the French Open in particular seem to suit him poorly. Additionally, he doesn't really commit to the clay court season; while he does not "suck" on clay as many here would claim, I think he realized a long time ago that he would never be a serious contender for a French Open title, and accordingly he hasn't seemed to care much about playing the tour-level clay court tournaments and really being prepared for the French. He often comes to Roland Garros rusty and out of form, having played only one or two clay court warm-up events beforehand, and gets eaten up by guys who have been sharpened and tested through more thorough participation in the season.

Even still, given his generally-improved form so far this season and strong showing in Madrid, I do think he has good prospects for, say, a third or fourth round finish at this year's French Open.

jamesblakefan#1
05-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Roddick doesn't even think Roddick's good on clay. You think he'd get married and take a monthlong honeymoon right before Wimbledon or the US? Just shows how much he thinks of his FO chances, or cares for that matter.

Madhoshi22
05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
No.
10 char

haha I second this notion

His last clay court tournament win came in 2005, in Houston, which can hardly be called a decent clay court tournament.
When he wins a MS tourney on clay, then maybe I'd consider him decent on the dirt..