PDA

View Full Version : best tennis match of all time or what?!!!!

samprasvsfederer123
05-20-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_c9LfnDKBQ&feature=channel_page

these guys would kill federer and nadal in the now, wow shows you why pete is the best pete would beat fed on grass hard court and carpet with federer only winning n clay it may be true that federer may be more complete cause of claybut in a 3 out of 4 grand slam winner thing sampras would win.

oneleggedcardinal
05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I LOVE that match.

tonyg11
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
that's grown up big boy tennis right there!

i like to call that "weaponized tennis". There aint no way you're gonna get 30 shot rallies hitting shots like that. Impossible. Nobody plays with that kind of agression anymore.

dincuss
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I liked any of Beckers matches.

helloworld
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Power tennis at its best.

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Serve fest at its worst...

helloworld
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Trolling at its worst...

ronalditop
05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Those are some ugly strokes.

oneleggedcardinal
05-20-2009, 07:11 PM

If you're calling this match a 'serve fest' then you haven't watched it. I understand the fact that you may like a different style of tennis, but this match was by no means a 'serve fest.'

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Trolling at its worst...
Ah no sorry, just my opinion, I like those guys but still... I'm glad there has been a lot of progress on the returns so that we can have longer rallies and more suspense.

MajinX
05-20-2009, 07:17 PM
its a good match, exciting, close and everything u can want, but i tihnk i enjoy more of the modern tennis more, with some vollying, some defensive players, counter punchers etc, back then the courts were so fast u were basicly forced to play offensive and serve and volley.

Chris De Tone
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I own this match on DVD and never get tired of it. I love that style of play. I know that it's not for everyone...but it's definitely for me. Just great.

colonelforbin
05-20-2009, 07:28 PM
That was a fantastic match.

Radical Shot
05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Fantastic last rally. I also enjoyed all of Beckers matches. You don't see guys throwing themselves all over the court these days.

I used to love watching him dive, lunge, scramble and dive again, just to stay in the point. I'm sure he lost a lot of skin on tour.

clayman2000
05-20-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_c9LfnDKBQ&feature=channel_page

these guys would kill federer and nadal in the now, wow shows you why pete is the best pete would beat fed on grass hard court and carpet with federer only winning n clay it may be true that federer may be more complete cause of claybut in a 3 out of 4 grand slam winner thing sampras would win.

not neccesarily.... its a different game now. Reason why S&V was so effective was the high returns. Now players are better at chipping big serves back.
There is no doubt that some passing shots are amazing, but you have to remember that if Nadal played one of those two at that time, he'd have a field day, chipping returns low than passing them with an angle.

That being said, it would be interesting to see a top 5 S&V player compete now. They would certainly have some advantages like surprise, and unfamiliarity.

Blue Drop
05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow, incredible volleying on both sides.

(And holy cr*p Becker -- a sweater vest for a professional tennis match? Seriously?)

Blue Drop
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Oh wait, that's just his the pattern of his shirt. Disregard the sweater vest comment.

tonyg11
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Ah no sorry, just my opinion, I like those guys but still... I'm glad there has been a lot of progress on the returns so that we can have longer rallies and more suspense.

I'm sorry but both Boris and Pete were hitting return winners. Plus there hasnt been anyone as good as Andre at the return so far. What's so hard about standing 10' behind the baseline and hitting a deep return because you KNOW nobody is coming to the net off their serves? Nothing.

Modern tennis is like those Kung Fu movies with fights that last 30 min. The tennis in that video is more like a western gun fight where at any moment someone can pull the trigger and end the point. In a way the short points were more exiting to watch because ANYTHING could happen. In a Nadal match you KNOW what’s going to happen. A 30 shot rally with Nada’s opponent eventually making an unforced error. To each his own

tonyg11
05-20-2009, 08:08 PM
not neccesarily.... its a different game now. Reason why S&V was so effective was the high returns. Now players are better at chipping big serves back.
There is no doubt that some passing shots are amazing, but you have to remember that if Nadal played one of those two at that time, he'd have a field day, chipping returns low than passing them with an angle.

That being said, it would be interesting to see a top 5 S&V player compete now. They would certainly have some advantages like surprise, and unfamiliarity.

How much practice have players had hitting returns against SVers? None. Against a SV you have to stand close to the baseline and jump all over the return. Now adays you can stand 1 mile behind the baseline and hit a moonball return with 10000 RPM worth of spin. Fine against a baseliner, not fine against Boris or Pete

veroniquem
05-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry but both Boris and Pete were hitting return winners. Plus there hasnt been anyone as good as Andre at the return so far. What's so hard about standing 10' behind the baseline and hitting a deep return because you KNOW nobody is coming to the net off their serves? Nothing.

Modern tennis is like those Kung Fu movies with fights that last 30 min. The tennis in that video is more like a western gun fight where at any moment someone can pull the trigger and end the point. In a way the short points were more exiting to watch because ANYTHING could happen. In a Nadal match you KNOW what’s going to happen. A 30 shot rally with Nada’s opponent eventually making an unforced error. To each his own
I like point construction and longer rallies.
1-2-3 points put me to sleep no matter how good the shots are. HOWEVER of course mediocre longer rallies are definitely worse than boom boom tennis performed by the best players!

ChanceEncounter
05-20-2009, 08:40 PM

"Progress" like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW4z0FnUz4o

Oh wait, that's from an earlier time. Sounds like "regression" to me. It's amazing that your bias seeps through your opinion by calling it "progress on returns." Progress like taking it back to indistinguishable 50 shot rallies in the 70s?

gj011
05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice match, but not the best of all times.

oneleggedcardinal
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM

Oh wait, that's from an earlier time. Sounds like "regression" to me. It's amazing that your bias seeps through your opinion by calling it "progress on returns." Progress like taking it back to indistinguishable 50 shot rallies in the 70s?

I think both of you should note that the matches to which you are referring are polar opposites as far as court speed is concerned; one is indoor carpet, the other is RG clay. Both lend themselves to a certain strategy or style of play.

Tshooter
05-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Power tennis = boring tennis. I thought tennis hit a low point at W final: sampras v. ivanesevic. Pete v. Becker not as bad but let's not go back there.

helloworld
05-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Lol!! Those guys literally walked to hit the shots!! hahhaah!!! :D

OddJack
05-20-2009, 08:58 PM
It's more like a battle of wits,

There are some very pretty shots here, but it's somewhat pingpongish.

sorry but I found it to be boring.

ChanceEncounter
05-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I think both of you should note that the matches to which you are referring are polar opposites as far as court speed is concerned; one is indoor carpet, the other is RG clay. Both lend themselves to a certain strategy or style of play.
Very true, but the play in the 70s was considerably slower in general than the play in the 90s. Racquet technology had a lot to do with it, but players just weren't crushing the ball like they were in the 90s either.

My point is that veroniquem calls something "progress" even though it was basically the norm before the incredibly fast play of the 90s. At best, that represents a cyclical change of style, or a style change influenced by technology, but it isn't progression of the game. That's biased terminology at best.

Cesc Fabregas
05-20-2009, 10:42 PM
One of the best matches I have ever seen.

DunlopDood
05-20-2009, 11:27 PM
wow that's some great tennis, thanx for the vid

DNShade
05-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Fun to watch. Great stuff. And to all the "haters" out here...The Rafanatics etc...Why the hate? Wouldn't you love to see our boy - Nadal - play against someone with this style of game? I know I sure would - and I'm sure he would love to try and would be totally up to the challenge.

And, no - no one does play like this now - and certainly not at this kind of level. I think it would be great to see. That's the kind of great match up that make tennis a sport to be a fan of.

fps
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
that was some really good stuff. one of the links away from it was to AO 2009 highlights. from one to the other, they're different, but the level of tennis there is utterly blistering as well. we are lucky that there have been several styles of tennis made dominant by their best purveyors.

was watching some borg connors USO earlier, that was very cool too!

ninman
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM

If by "progress" you mean gradually going from 3/4 distinct surfaces to just 1 surface only, then yes the game has progressed. The game had MUCH more variety in those days, deny it all you want, but that's just a fact. If you love rallies, then that's what the clay season is for. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has ever been a single match played at the French Open that you can call a "serve fest". So in fact the tennis circuit has ALWAYS had a time devoted to people like you that love that kind of tennis, now there is NO point in the season devoted to people who like serve and volley tennis. Personally I like watching TENNIS, that means all styles, not just one.

Cenc
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
its definitely one of the best matches EVER played

interesting part is that i can show 10 sampras' matches like this one
and as a response fedfans can show me a match with roddick

fps
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
its definitely one of the best matches EVER played

interesting part is that i can show 10 sampras' matches like this one
and as a response fedfans can show me a match with roddick

what's that got to do with anything? uncalled for, post your own thread if you want to try and get this one off-track by bringing people down to your level, cheers.

volleynets
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Truly amazing. If one got the other's serve back in play it seems like most of the time a winner was hit straight off the return. WE need more of such aggressive play today.

Cenc
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
what's that got to do with anything? uncalled for, post your own thread if you want to try and get this one off-track by bringing people down to your level, cheers.

oh i touched ur feelings for someone sorry
this was response to those who say that they would have no chance in todays game so shut up please i guess ur able to read?

kafelnikov
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah definitely powerful stuff from some real tennis legends.
Nostalgic for me because this was around the time I really became interested in tennis.

And you gotta love Pete's pyjama-shorts!

Cenc
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
And you gotta love Pete's pyjama-shorts!

haha technology and outfit are 2 things that have improved over the last decade
game definitely not :D

joeri888
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I like point construction and longer rallies.
1-2-3 points put me to sleep no matter how good the shots are. HOWEVER of course mediocre longer rallies are definitely worse than boom boom tennis performed by the best players!

I would expect you to love Federer's game most of all if it's about point construction. If it's about outlasting nobody's better than Nadal.

By the way.. this court looks really strange without the tramlines

fps
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
oh i touched ur feelings for someone sorry
this was response to those who say that they would have no chance in todays game so shut up please i guess ur able to read?

i don't see people saying that in this thread, and there are sooo many negative threads already where you can say this kind of stuff. what are some of your favourite matches?

Cenc
05-21-2009, 02:54 PM
i don't see people saying that in this thread, and there are sooo many negative threads already where you can say this kind of stuff. what are some of your favourite matches?

read again

my favorite matches
i will write all no matter if sampras is in them or not
1) ivanisevic vs rafter wimby 2001 - guess why

also
sampras safin uso 2000
sampras agassi wimby 1999, uso 2001, aussie 2000, uso 1995
sampras federer wimby 2001
nadal djokovic madrid 2009
sampras becker masters cup 1996
nadal moya chennai 2008
nadal verdasco aussie 2009
agassi kafelnikov aussie 2000
sampras corretja uso 1996
sampras courier aussie 1995
krajicek sampras wimby 1996
hewitt sampras uso 2001
and many many more
these are probably best matches ever played

BorisBeckerFan
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

How do you suppose one goes about remembering something that never happened? I think that what you are really asking for is for people to agree with your imagined opinion. I really don't know waht would have happend. Nadal's passing shot's are great but the style of play was way more aggressive back then. I think it would have been interesting to see.

adlis
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat,

Sampras in his serve only one dimensional Best ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cenc
05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat, SERVE ace repeat,

Sampras in his serve only one dimensional Best ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

whose shots from 10 years ago were all better than feds now, just every single shot... one dimensional... and ur not even conscious that u also watch same 2 shots all the time - forehand and backhand and nothing else
when ur at net u have 1000 of shots, from the baseline there are 2 or 3 that are used which means serve and volley has much more variety than baseline game...

Dilettante
05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
when ur at net u have 1000 of shots, from the baseline there are 2 or 3 that are used which means serve and volley has much more variety than baseline game...

I'm very sorry but that's just stupid, baseline game has a huge variation of shots too. It's not that you only have FH and BH, there are lots of types of FH and lots of types of BH.

P_Agony
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Wow, you really think so?

This match has everything - great serves, baseline winners, great volleys, winners on the run. They both painted the lines. Great match.

adlis
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow, you really think so?

This match has everything - great serves, baseline winners, great volleys, winners on the run. They both painted the lines. Great match.

carpet is banned on the ATP world tour because of boring ace fests turning away the fans. Do you want talentless hacks like Goran serving a billion aces a match?

Also Carpet is Banned because it causes this..

warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdD3BDCcKTE&fmt=18

thejoe
05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Incredible, high-level sustained tennis throughout. Amazing.

oneleggedcardinal
05-21-2009, 04:23 PM

You haven't watched the match or the highlights, have you?

GameSampras
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Its definitely up there in terms of quality of play. But Im still a firm believer that the 4 set tiebreak, USO 01 match between Andre-Pete is the greatest match ever in terms of quality of play.

Fed-Nadal Wimby 08 finals for the drama though but not in terms of play quality

BorisBeckerFan
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Its definitely up there in terms of quality of play. But Im still a firm believer that the 4 set tiebreak, USO 01 match between Andre-Pete is the greatest match ever in terms of quality of play.

Man, Now I know why I've been accused of being you. This was my post in the federer vs. nadal is the same as sampras vs. agassi rivalry thread.

If by quality you mean tension, drama, etc, I agree that the Nadal vs Fed matches were of more quality. However if you by quality you mean winners to errors ratios, serving percentage, both players playing well at the same time vs one being up while the other is down then no. In that sense the Agassi vs Sampras matches were of much higher quality. A lot of the Fed vs Nadal matches despite having produced some great moments/winners, have been riddled with bad serving percentages, unforced errors etc. So in that sense they were not really quality matches.

JeMar
05-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Close contender for most overrated match of all time.

2000 Aussie Open was better tennis, better atmosphere, better drama.

GameSampras
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Man, Now I know why I've been accused of being you. This was my post in the federer vs. nadal is the same as sampras vs. agassi rivalry thread.

LOL.. Very odd indeed. Maybe we are related somehow.

GameSampras
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Close contender for most overrated match of all time.

2000 Aussie Open was better tennis, better atmosphere, better drama.

overrated? On what grounds? It was unreal. It had the drama , the quality, the 4 tiebreaks. Both players provided us with some of the best tennis ever seen in terms of conflicting styles

GameSampras
05-21-2009, 05:30 PM
If any match is overrated its the Nadal-Fed Wimby 08 match. If not for the rain delays it wouldnt be remembered even remotely as one of the best matches ever. It took mother nature intervening

JeMar
05-21-2009, 05:31 PM
overrated? On what basis? It was unreal. It had the drama, the quality, the 4 tiebreaks.

Both players held easily all through the night, Sampras was basically on cruise-control on serve and wasn't doing a whole lot on Agassi's; the tennis was good, yes, but it was good in a lot of matches that these two played; drama? Yeah, those standing ovations were doozies, but what was there besides that? Oh, and I don't care that Spike Lee was there.

I'm not saying it was bad, I'm saying they played better matches that get ignored because they didn't happen at night at the U.S. Open, like their 2000 Aussie Open semi-final.

JeMar
05-21-2009, 05:32 PM
If any match is overrated its the Nadal-Fed Wimby 08 match. If not for the rain delays it wouldnt be remembered even remotely as one of the best matches ever. It took mother nature intervening

Yep, that one is pretty overrated too. Not quite as much as Agassi/Sampras, though. Nadal's at least had a fifth set and a very tense first 20 minutes.

oneleggedcardinal
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM

I agree with this 100%.

rubberduckies
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
It's amazing how much the tour has improved over just a decade.

The-Champ
05-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the clip. Those guys didn't commit a single UE. Unbelievable!

Arafel
05-21-2009, 06:15 PM
It's amazing how much the tour has improved over just a decade.

In what way? Jeez, I think the tour has gone downhill, because everyone plays too conservatively.

People talk about last year's Wimbledon final like it was the greatest thing ever, and while it had a lot of drama, the quality wasn't that great. I'll take the 18-16 tiebreak from the 80 final over anything from last year.

The game used to demand more from the players in a lot of ways, because they had to be able to hit aggressive returns to keep the server off the net.

Look at a Roddick Fed match. Fed just floats the returns back, and then it becomes a baseline rally.

I don't think there's anything wrong with baseline tennis per se, but when it's all that anyone plays it gets pretty one dimensional, which is why to me still the best tennis era was from 80-85, because of the contrast of styles.

BorisBeckerFan
05-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Tennis use to be such a fast paced and agrressive sport. This is not a statement on wheather or not today's tennis is better or worse. A lot of that is opinion based upon what you like. This is not in any way shape or form a diss on today's players. I enjoy watching Fed play and I think his style is beutiful to watch. Nadal while not my liking is indescribably good. This match between Becker and Sampras was more explosive than the matches between Nadal and Federer. But I understand not everyone likes to use bombs in warfare. Some people like the artistry of a fencer like Federer or the bravery of a bullfighter like Nadal.

World Beater
05-21-2009, 08:26 PM
this court is like ice...they were just blocking 120 mph serves for winners.

that doesnt happen on today's courts.

samster
05-21-2009, 09:23 PM
this was a wonderful match!

psYcon
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
this was a time when the courts were fast and so were the balls. You will never see this kind of game now.