PDA

View Full Version : The ATP players apologize...

babbette
05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/multimedia/default_video.asp

Roger "i'm most likely going to qualify." :lol: Yes Roger we all know. But yourself saying it out loud makes it sound arrogant, you know. :p

Oh I can't wait to see him, and of course Rafa!!!

joeri888
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/multimedia/default_video.asp

Roger "i'm most likely going to qualify." :lol: Yes Roger we all know. But yourself saying it out loud makes it sound arrogant, you know. :p

Oh I can't wait to see him, and of course Rafa!!!

It's not arrogant, it's telling the truth when asked a question. Btw, has Djokovic qualified as the defending champion? Otherwise he and Nestor/Zimonjic would be just as arrogant.

Pwned
05-21-2009, 12:04 PM
That's a bad response from Federer. That's not even close to arrogant. You'd have to be a complete moron to think that. That is border-line not even confident. He should be saying he WILL be there and expects to win.

babbette
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
did you guys enjoy the rest though? :p

maximo
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
did you guys enjoy the rest though? :p

The sound track was nice. ;)

Djokovic said the arena has a capacity of 250,000 people. :(

I guess people make mistakes...

swedechris
05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Nope. He doesnt.

bruce38
05-21-2009, 01:18 PM
People who think Fed is arrogant are delusional. They have no clue as to how to ascertain the difference between honesty and empty drivel.

joeri888
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
The sound track was nice. ;)

Djokovic said the arena has a capacity of 250,000 people. :(

I guess people make mistakes...

I think he meant that the capacity for the whole week was 250.000 which is maybe possible?

Cenc
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
even though i really dislike that man its nothing serious really

gj011
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Yet another arrogant statement from Federer. Nothing new really.

Nadal_Freak
05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
You can sum up Fed's interviews in 3 words. I am Great

Marcel Granoller Bar
05-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Not arrogance....Federer being an introvert, does not make the crowd pleasing statements all the time.

Don't confuse this with the Sampras style statements, with implisite gradioseity.

tacou
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Fed is the only one who acknowledges that he hasn't yet qualified, how does that make him arrogant?

The-Champ
05-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Stefanki is a ******* :)

RalphNYC
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
You're interpretation of the way he speaks English means either
1) you're not a native English speaker (I highly doubt that)
2) you've got a major chip on your shoulder
3) you're a complete idiot

I'll go with 2 and 3.

Vermillion
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
lol in b4 someone mentions nadal's "i'll see you in the finals"

kraggy
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
People who think Fed is arrogant are delusional. They have no clue as to how to ascertain the difference between honesty and empty drivel.

Some of Fed's gems:

1) "I take losses better because there are so few of them these days"

2) "I have beaten Agassi so much lately that I am not worried about him"

3) When talking about where he would be staying during the olympics in a recent press conference Federer says "It's not possible for me to stay there (olympic village), there are so many athletes who would want their pictures taken with me...I don't mind it, but everyday? I cant escape it..."

4)n a media conference at the Kooyong Classic. He shrugs off Murray without any consideration. Here are some of his quotes.

"He's the favourite?"

"Good for him. It won't help him a whole lot," the smiling Swiss added.

"I won the last slam of last season so it is surprising to hear."

5)"Maybe people haven't seen a guy play like I have and that gives me a lot of compliments. That's beautiful.

6) Given the rise of Rafael Nadal, who beat Federer in the French Open final, and Roddick's resurgence, Federer was asked if the gap had closed. His long pause seemed to answer the question.
"I don't know. As long as I'm on top, I guess it doesn't really matter," Federer said. "You could say the gap is closing, but at the same time, I'm playing so well and consistent that it's going to be hard for them to pass me at the moment. That's for sure."

Bad example from OP - Hell Yes. People delusional to think Fed is arrogant? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOO!

Pwned
05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Stating facts is not being arrogant. Tiger Woods is the exact same way. Yet I don't hear half as many morons complaining about him. Giving complete lies while thinking the exact opposite during interviews (who do we know that does this....) is worse.

Pwned
05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Here is the definition for all the people who think Federer is being arrogant.

Arrogant: exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner.

What, exactly, is Federer exaggerating in those quotes? Sounds like he is telling it as it is. Which apparently is too blunt for those that hate him. Being blunt is not the same as arrogance. People here have really poor word choice. Or maybe they are just trying to exaggerate themselves...

gj011
05-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Some of Fed's gems:

3) When talking about where he would be staying during the olympics in a recent press conference Federer says "It's not possible for me to stay there (olympic village), there are so many athletes who would want their pictures taken with me...I don't mind it, but everyday? I cant escape it..."

4)n a media conference at the Kooyong Classic. He shrugs off Murray without any consideration. Here are some of his quotes.

"He's the favourite?"

5)"Maybe people haven't seen a guy play like I have and that gives me a lot of compliments. That's beautiful.

6) Given the rise of Rafael Nadal, who beat Federer in the French Open final, and Roddick's resurgence, Federer was asked if the gap had closed. His long pause seemed to answer the question.
"I don't know. As long as I'm on top, I guess it doesn't really matter," Federer said. "You could say the gap is closing, but at the same time, I'm playing so well and consistent that it's going to be hard for them to pass me at the moment. That's for sure."

Bad example from OP - Hell Yes. People delusional to think Fed is arrogant? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOO!

Yap, right on the money. Not to mention even worse gems like "I figured him out long time ago" just before losing to Djokovic in Miami and later in Rome. And many many more.

Federer is the most arrogant player ever and only fanboys can kid themselves that he is not.

Pwned
05-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Yap, right on the money. Not to mention even worse gems like "I figured him out long time ago" just before losing to Djokovic in Miami and later in Rome. And many many more.

Federer is the most arrogant player ever and only fanboys can kid themselves that he is not.

Or those that know what words actually mean. :roll:

tacou
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Fed is so arrogant. he shoudl have just let himself get swamped by annoying ping pong players and speed walkers all through the olympics, just to prove how not arrogant he is!!

gj011
05-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Fed is so arrogant. he shoudl have just let himself get swamped by annoying ping pong players and speed walkers all through the olympics, just to prove how not arrogant he is!!

What is wrong with ping pong players and speed walkers? They are athletes just like Federer. Not lepers.

Your post is arrogant and implies that Federer is way above other Olympic athletes. :shock:

bruce38
05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Some of Fed's gems:

"He's the favourite?"

Dude these were all facts at the time. No exaggeration here at all and hence no arrogance. And let's assume for a second he were arrogant....SO WHAT!!??? He was the number 1 tennis player on the planet for 4 consecutive years, and achieved things that were never achieved before. He was lauded wherever he went. What the hell would you expect from a young guy in his prime?? You have no clue how you would react had you been in the same situation - probably not much different and most likely more uncontrolled. And that's assuming it is arrogance, it's NOT. He is one of the most mature and honest players on the tour.

tennis-hero
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM

You can sum up Fed's interviews in 3 words. I am Great

I dont know which one is worse, all i do know is both love to agree with each other when it comes to hating on fed

Love Game
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry, I was tying way too hard to give a ******* like reply.......

I guess I didn't pull it off...

"*******" :confused:

Is that anything like a *******? :???:

(one good name deserves another :razz:)

tacou
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
What is wrong with ping pong players and speed walkers? They are athletes just like Federer. Not lepers.

Your post is arrogant and implies that Federer is way above other Olympic athletes. :shock:

nothing is wrong with them! but Roger is a little more popular than your average speed walker. he is a world wide celebrity, something they could never be.

Roger was in a bad slump then and wanted to do well at the Olympics. I don't see how it's arrogant that he wanted to win rather than sign autographs.

And besides all that, how is my post arrogant? Because perhaps you have a different definition of the word, as the accepted definition does not apply to my post in any way.

sh@de
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I propose renaming the bunch of '*******s' into 'Fedhatards', that way, gj011 falls nicely into that category as well, no?

woodrow1029
05-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I dont know which one is worse, all i do know is both love to agree with each other when it comes to hating on fed
Maybe since Gj011 likes to assume that certain posters are other people with different nicknames, perhaps Gj and NF are one in the same?

gj011
05-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe since Gj011 likes to assume that certain posters are other people with different nicknames, perhaps Gj and NF are one in the same?

And that was not rude and trollish post? You are really a hypocrite and a jerk, aren't you.

Stop with bullying it is not going to work, and I told you get off my case with your snotty remarks and false righteousness.

kraggy
05-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Dude these were all facts at the time. No exaggeration here at all and hence no arrogance. And let's assume for a second he were arrogant....SO WHAT!!??? He was the number 1 tennis player on the planet for 4 consecutive years, and achieved things that were never achieved before. He was lauded wherever he went. What the hell would you expect from a young guy in his prime?? You have no clue how you would react had you been in the same situation - probably not much different and most likely more uncontrolled. And that's assuming it is arrogance, it's NOT. He is one of the most mature and honest players on the tour.

I 100% agree with you that almost ANYONE in Feds position would be arrogant. Had I been in that position there is more than a 90% chance I would be arrogant as well. It is human nature to become arrogant when you achieve greatness. I am not for one second denying that. I can understand the reasons for his arrogance. But HE IS arrogant is what I'm trying to say. Some might argue that although Nadal is yet to achieve as much as Federer, he has the right to be arrogant. Yet he isnt. If Nadal were to say " There is a very minute possibility that Federer will win the FO because I absolutely destroyed him last time" , that would pretty much be the truth right? So you would rather he say that instead of saying "It will be a tough match, I have to play my best"? I can understand if Nadal said " Fed is a much better player, he will surely win" , THEN it would be lying!

To give you another analogy, if I went up to a fat person and said " You're fat" , that's not me being rude right? That's me being honest no?

gj011
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM
nothing is wrong with them! but Roger is a little more popular than your average speed walker. he is a world wide celebrity, something they could never be.

Roger was in a bad slump then and wanted to do well at the Olympics. I don't see how it's arrogant that he wanted to win rather than sign autographs.

And besides all that, how is my post arrogant? Because perhaps you have a different definition of the word, as the accepted definition does not apply to my post in any way.

Olympics is not about getting out of a bad slump, it is about other things. If Federer did't like that he should not have participated. His arrogant behavior didn't work anyway.

Your post implied that ping pong players and speed walker are less worthy for some reason and hence arrogant as well.

vtmike
05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Olympics is not about getting out of a bad slump, it is about other things. If Federer did't like that he should not have participated. His arrogant behavior didn't work anyway.

Your post implied that ping pong players and speed walker are less worthy for some reason and hence arrogant as well.

What "other things"? :-?

Are you going to blame Fed to keep himself focused? All he wanted to do was concentrate on improving his game so that he could win a medal for his country! and he knew that he would not be able to do that in the village...How in the hell can you twist that to make it look arrogant?!

theduh
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Another interview that has been driven out of context by Fed haters. Nothing really new here.

kraggy
05-21-2009, 07:06 PM
What "other things"? :-?

Are you going to blame Fed to keep himself focused? All he wanted to do was concentrate on improving his game so that he could win a medal for his country! and he knew that he would not be able to do that in the village...How in the hell can you twist that to make it look arrogant?!

It's not about the content of what he said , it's all about the phrasing. Why can't he just say " I can't stay in the village because there is so much interacti0n with the athletes that I will lose my focus".

If Brad Pitt said the same thing at the Oscars , I am sure you would say he was arrogant!

Duzza
05-21-2009, 07:09 PM
How arrogant of Nadal. What did he say? "See you soon" or soemthing like that....assuming he's going to qualify. What an arrogant man...

bruce38
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
I 100% agree with you that almost ANYONE in Feds position would be arrogant. Had I been in that position there is more than a 90% chance I would be arrogant as well. It is human nature to become arrogant when you achieve greatness. I am not for one second denying that. I can understand the reasons for his arrogance. But HE IS arrogant is what I'm trying to say. Some might argue that although Nadal is yet to achieve as much as Federer, he has the right to be arrogant. Yet he isnt. If Nadal were to say " There is a very minute possibility that Federer will win the FO because I absolutely destroyed him last time" , that would pretty much be the truth right? So you would rather he say that instead of saying "It will be a tough match, I have to play my best"? I can understand if Nadal said " Fed is a much better player, he will surely win" , THEN it would be lying!

To give you another analogy, if I went up to a fat person and said " You're fat" , that's not me being rude right? That's me being honest no?

But he is not arrogant. Arrogant is exaggeration, he does not do that. He simply states facts and what his judgements are. As for Nadal, he DOES in fact say what you quoted - that Federer is the greatest player of all time and he is much better than me. Over and over again. It's old and not genuine. It's almost a form of poor gamesmanship.

It would be worse if you went up the fat person and called them skinny. This is the more appropriate analogy as to the difference between Fed's and Nadal's comments.

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 07:17 PM
It's funny how Fed's fans totally partake in his own megalomania and delusions of grandeur.
Isn't it right that Federer should acknowledge the superiority of his own artistry while ridiculing the awkward limitations of the rest of the field? Isn't it normal that he should marvel at his own genius compared to the striking inadequacy of other players? Isn't it natural that he should seek every possible refuge from the planetary relentless adoration that puts him at risk of insufferable harassment in any public place? Isn't it legitimate that he should not hide from the face of the earth that no tennis player has ever been as good as him? Isn't it sublime honesty to point out that his opponents crippled with embarrassing deficiencies will never match the flawlessness of his superlative skills?
In the meantime, his main rival (who is only 22) has beaten him 13 times, 5 times in a slam final, Murray has beaten him the last 4 times they played and 6 times out of the last 7 times they played, Djokovic has beaten him 4 times in the last 7 times they played.
Yes, unbeatable, untouchable, invincible and unparalleled, that's Fed all right!

Pwned
05-21-2009, 07:19 PM
It's funny how Fed's fans totally partake in his own megalomania and delusions of grandeur.
Isn't it right that Federer should acknowledge the superiority of his own artistry while ridiculing the awkward limitations of the rest of the field? Isn't it normal that he should marvel at his own genius compared to the striking inadequacy of other players? Isn't it natural that he should seek every possible refuge from the planetary relentless adoration that puts him at risk of insufferable harassment in any public place? Isn't it legitimate that he should not hide from the face of the earth that no tennis player has ever been as good as him? Isn't it sublime honesty to point out that his opponents crippled with embarrassing deficiencies will never match the flawlessness of his superlative skills?
In the meantime his main rival (who is only 22) has beaten him 13 times, 5 times in a slam final, Murray has beaten him the last 4 times they played and 6 times out of the last 7 times they played, Djokovic has beaten him 4 times in the last 7 times they played.
Yes, unbeatable, untouchable, invincible and unparalleled, that's Fed all right!

Except....he has never said anything close to that. Keep trying...

tacou
05-21-2009, 07:22 PM

I did not mean they are inferior in any way, which I clarified in my other post. I watched a fair amount of ping pong, but it was indoor volleyball that I really enjoyed.

I do agree the Olympics are about more than the ATP or any single sport in itself, but Federer still should want to compete at his highest possible level to represent his country well, and he thought having too much fan fare might distract him.

Joseph L. Barrow
05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
"Arrogant" for Roger Federer to say, when asked, that he's "most likely going to qualify"?!? That's positively modest. The guy has qualified six years running and already made a Slam final and won a Masters Series this season; he would literally almost have to die or be brutally crippled in order to not qualify.

Maybe speaking as though was already in or knew he was going to win it would be arrogant on his part, but you're being ridiculous if you're actually going to become offended by the statement that he's "most likely going to qualify." It's about the most modest response he could possibly offer without lying or dodging the question.

IvanAndreevich
05-21-2009, 07:59 PM
In the style of gj011

Yet another bunch of Fed haters pulling words out of context to demonstrate their profound hatred :)

bolo
05-21-2009, 08:04 PM
But he is not arrogant. Arrogant is exaggeration, he does not do that. He simply states facts and what his judgements are. As for Nadal, he DOES in fact say what you quoted - that Federer is the greatest player of all time and he is much better than me. Over and over again. It's old and not genuine. It's almost a form of poor gamesmanship.

It would be worse if you went up the fat person and called them skinny. This is the more appropriate analogy as to the difference between Fed's and Nadal's comments.

Federer would be a lot more interesting if he actually started dissecting and judging the games of hewitt, roddick, blake, ferrero, moya etc instead of just murray and nadal. Who knows maybe that day is coming?

TheTruth
05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I propose renaming the bunch of '*******s' into 'Fedhatards', that way, gj011 falls nicely into that category as well, no?

That's very clever! I like it!

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Except....he has never said anything close to that. Keep trying...
Look at the quotes in post 21. He is often putting down other players while praising his own game or attitude. Like saying if a player is not fit, they shouldn't step on the court (take that Novak, take that Rafa) or praising the variety in his game while stressing the one-dimensionality of the opponent, saying "no excuse" about another player, as if he never used excuses for himself, claiming he has a strategy to "surprise" the opponent while he knows the opponent's game "inside out", etc, etc and he had lots of remarks over the years about his amazing talent.
He also did express at the Olympics that he couldn't stay in the village because he would get more harassed than anyone else which is kind of funny since at that particular time Nadal was much more in the spotlight than Fed was.

ttbrowne
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
If you're waiting for Fed's "Aw shucks...I might, possibly, accidentally be a somewhat half-way good player" speech, Forget it. He didn't get to where is today by being a meely-mouth, unsure of his talent type person.

TheTruth
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
In the meantime, his main rival (who is only 22) has beaten him 13 times, 5 times in a slam final, Murray has beaten him the last 4 times they played and 6 times out of the last 7 times they played, Djokovic has beaten him 4 times in the last 7 times they played.

Great post! ROFL!

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 08:15 PM
If you're waiting for Fed's "Aw shucks...I might, possibly, accidentally be a somewhat half-way good player" speech, Forget it. He didn't get to where is today by being a meely-mouth, unsure of his talent type person.
I think we all agree on that. The only disagreement is whether that makes him a honest person or a jerk...

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Before you get that fuzzy warm feeling and feel contrite.

Reality check.

Fed wouldn't read this board.

And if he did, he could care less what some nobody chick on the internet thinks about him..
I'm sure he wouldn't. Why should he? That doesn't mean we can't discuss him.

theduh
05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Look at the quotes in post 21. He is often putting down other players while praising his own game or attitude. Like saying if a player is not fit, they shouldn't step on the court (take that Novak, take that Rafa) or praising the variety in his game while stressing the one-dimensionality of the opponent, saying "no excuse" about another player, as if he never used excuses for himself, claiming he has a strategy to "surprise" the opponent while he knows the opponent's game "inside out", etc, etc and he had lots of remarks over the years about his amazing talent.
He also did express at the Olympics that he couldn't stay in the village because he would get more harassed than anyone else which is kind of funny since at that particular time Nadal was much more in the spotlight than Fed was.

Strongly disagree! Fed was number 1 for 4 consecutive years whilst Nadal just captured the number 1 spot. Clearly the spotlight was on Nadal becoming the number 1 player after Wimbledon but Fed is not just an athlete, he is an icon, everywhere he goes people just flock the street to see him, not just on court but outside the court as well.

bruce38
05-21-2009, 08:57 PM

It's the loser mentality that defends the rights of the weak. Like goes with like. Your comments are not surprising at all.

kraggy
05-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Just to provide context to those people who see the OP and think " how the hell is that interview food for a lengthy discussion" , I want to say that I COMPLETELY AGREE with you that the original post is A VERY BAD EXAMPLE and Fed is not at all arrogant in that interview . But when some posters tried to say Fed was never arrogant, this segued the discussion into past instances of Feds arrogance.

There, now you have some context to oppose/defend :-)

veroniquem
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
It's the loser mentality that defends the rights of the weak. Like goes with like. Your comments are not surprising at all.
"the rights of the weak"? Who are the weak? Someone like Nadal? Who beat Fed in 5 slam finals? Even made him cry? Doesn't seem very "weak" to me!

joeri888
05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
"the rights of the weak"? Who are the weak? Someone like Nadal? Who beat Fed in 5 slam finals? Even made him cry? Doesn't seem very "weak" to me!

Have you ever read the Roger Federer story, quest for perfection? EVERYBODY has ever made Federer cry. He just grew up crying over about every loss, and it's more the magnitude of the occassion than Nadal that makes him cry. If anyone meant by weak Nadal, it IS ridiculous however.

Toxicmilk
05-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't believe that Fed is arrogant at all...but it's not wrong to argue that he can be. I just dont think what the OP presented.....was good for the case...though.

joeri888
05-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Roger can't cry. But Rafa gets payed zillions of dollars to play a game, and he is allowed to be TIRED :cry:

Might tell my boss next week that a 2 day break is not enough time for me to be ready for work on Monday..

This is so easy to work out the age of these children posting this dribble..

Never worked an effing day in their precious lives..

Huh? Nadal showed up right? So he got to work. It just wasn't his best day at work. Do you never have a slightly less great day at work?

Gen
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
You're interpretation of the way he speaks English means either
1) you're not a native English speaker (I highly doubt that)
2) you've got a major chip on your shoulder
3) you're a complete idiot

I'll go with 2 and 3.

Do you know the difference between "you're" and "your", native speaker? Why don't you enter a nursery school and learn some spelling before crapping in internet?

theduh
05-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Do you know the difference between "you're" and "your", native speaker? Why don't you enter a nursery school and learn some spelling before crapping in internet?

Crapping in internet?

This is not English 101. We can let these slide.

babbette
05-21-2009, 11:40 PM
oh lala yikes!:neutral:
Even though I mentioned Federer this thread wasn't actually supposed to be about Federer.:neutral: Oh well, too late.

devila
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
It's easier and satisfying after Federer losses. It's comforting to know
that Federer cries and degrades opponents as minor inconveniences.
2005 Masters Cup: He even criticized Nadal and Roddick for being injured and not working in Shanghai. At the same time, Federer called himself "literally standing on one leg". Then, he backtracked and said maybe it's not worth criticizing.
He mentioned that he was the star left in the event.

Why should he care? He's the only multidimensional, and most respected player of the decade, if not the universe.

It's always fun to see the Federer hallucinations and smirk when the opponent loses after Federer's week-long walkovers, easy draws and Federer's careless, indifferent opponents.

DarthMaul
05-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Vote gj011 for President! Now!

mandy01
05-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Way to go Babbette.... :roll: :roll:
You know what?? If Roger Federer is arrogant,then I'd rather he be so since I enjoy reading and listening to what he says
There is NOTHING wrong with what he says.
Just because you think saying something is arrogant because is it dosent fit the mould for you , dosent mean that is the case.
For all this while he has been well-loved and admired by his peers and those who know him.
Its pretty much insance we have so many ridiculous discussions about what players say in the press..
They are not here to please the public and nor is giving politically correct press conferences their ultimate goal..those who want to do it can do it ,those who ,dont have the right not to and be honest.Dosent mean their of a certain character.

When I was new here,I wasnt really an admirer of Nadal's press conferences.
But seeing some of the pathetic drivel of the *******s I actually started going vocal about it too.
Doing something I've avoided for so long :roll:
Note to self:
Gawd..really time to end this.Its amazing how much time people have on their hands that they can go dissecting what is said in the press to no ends.And its amazing how they can do it for so many years together :roll:

SikSerb
05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Man Djokovic is arrogant.

mandy01
05-22-2009, 12:17 AM
He also did express at the Olympics that he couldn't stay in the village because he would get more harassed than anyone else which is kind of funny since at that particular time Nadal was much more in the spotlight than Fed was. this is bucketload of bull.. .He never said that.Way to make up stories.
Nor is there anything wrong in saying you know an opponents game inside out.Its obvious he will considering how often he's played.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Typical Djokovic arrogance: "I'm really sorry for not being there for the public launch of the tickets. But I really look forward to defending my title in London 2009"

Nice to see that Federer is checking that everyone is alright, he actually cares about the fans unlike the rest of them.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
this is bucketload of bull.. .He never said that.Way to make up stories.
Nor is there anything wrong in saying you know an opponents game inside out.Its obvious he will considering how often he's played. Lol you expected truth from him?!?!?!?

mandy01
05-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Nice to see that Federer is checking that everyone is alright, he actually cares about the fans unlike the rest of them. This is true.Babbette didnt even quote the whole thing.Disgusting.

mandy01
05-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I think we all agree on that. The only disagreement is whether that makes him a honest person or a jerk...
Wow..now he's a jerk???? first you make up stories about him saying things during Olympics he never did,except that he solely wanted to focus and that he would still visit the village.He did not say he got more attention than others. Then, you end up stooping to this level :roll:

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-22-2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qnjxqq9cC0&feature=related

Looks like Nadal is almost crying in this interview and very arrogant towards Tsonga. :-?

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Way to go Babbette....

if the eye roll was meant maliciously don't you f8cking dare. :roll: Almost every thread on this forum is started designed to cause flame wars, I actually just wanted to post that video for a laugh, as it has been taken on other boards. But oh no, not on this board. :roll:

And I don't really care what you say, in this day and age, when somebody sounds so self assured it's classed as arrogance. Confidence in one self is fine but arrogance is another. And he has every right to be arrogant given his success, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like the way he replies certain questions ALL the time, even if we admire other things he brings to tennis. I chuckle most of the time at his answers, like this one. Me not hating him should give people some clue that i'm not too bothered by his responses. Some did bother me a lot like in the days of "he's one dimensional" amongst others, but now i've come to expect things like that from him.
You can't tell me that if you were part of say, a football club in real life and a player was so strongly self assured as a pose to just confident with his chances people wouldn't say he was arrogant :confused:

Doesn't fit the mould for me?! I don't really understand what you mean by that? What mould is fitting for me? Please enlighten me. :confused:Yes, having different styles of responses from players can be entertaining. we've really come to expect certain types of answers from players presses:rafa modest, humble, Roger: confident, arrogant, fair at times......the differences keeps us on our toes and keeps people talking (arguing), even if a person poiting out a certain sentence didn't mean they actually wanted to start a war.

Anyways.........didn't anybody enjoy the rest of the video? *throws tantrum*

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:30 AM
This is true.Babbette didnt even quote the whole thing.Disgusting.

oh shut your trap, the video wasn't even about Federer. Just because someone mentions his name doesn't mean they want the topic to be about Roger.

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I got this far, and thats all I needed..

Just showed your true colours honey..

which are......? :p
I like the way Rafa said London, but instead of mentioning that mentioned how some people MIGHT take Roger's comment as arrogance? :p

If people are getting on your nerves and accusing of something that wasn't your intention then you're going to get ****ed.

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:37 AM
There is a difference between MIGHT taking offence, and WANTING to..

I believe you are the later...

The smile smiley doesnt soften it for you in all honesty..
sorry I still don't understand what you're talking about. Should I have not taking offence at Mandy's response, is that what you're saying? Especiallly since I don't thing it's the first time she'd had a go?

mandy01
05-22-2009, 12:41 AM
if the eye roll was meant maliciously don't you f8cking dare. :roll: Almost every thread on this forum is started designed to cause flame wars, I actually just wanted to post that video for a laugh, as it has been taken on other boards. But oh no, not on this board. :roll:

And I don't really care what you say, in this and and age, when somebody sounds so self assured it's classed as arrogance. Confidence in one self in fine but arrogance is another. And he has every right to be arrogant given his success, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like the way he replies certain questions ALL the time, even if we admire other things he brings to tennis. I chuckle most of the time at his answers, like this one. Me not hating him should give people some clue that i'm not too bothered by his responses. Some did bother me a lot like in the days of "he's one dimensional" amongst others, but now i've come to expect things like that from him.
You can't tell me that if you were part of say, a football club in real life and a player was so strongly self assured as a pose to just confident with his chances people wouldn't say he was arrogant :confused:

Doesn't fit the mould for me?! I don't really understand what you mean by that? What mould is fitting for me? Please enlighten me. :confused:Yes, having different styles of responses from players can be entertaining. we've really come to expect certain types of answers from players presses:rafa modest, humble, Roger: confident, arrogant, fair at times......the differences keeps us on our toes and keeps people talking (arguing), even if a person poiting out a certain sentence didn't mean they actually wanted to start a war.

Anyways.........didn't anybody enjoy the rest of the video? *throws tantrum*
First bolded part- clearly your perceptions.Arrogance is perceived.Just because you think someone is arrogant dosent mean he assumes the character.
Second bolded part-Yes I would and many people would
On your enligtenment issues-Sure Roger dosent fill the humility blank for you or others.Dosent mean he dosent for his fans and that they're deluded .
Besides I did not use the word 'mould' with reference to you.
But mould as in your idea of an ideal tennis player( if at all one exists)

And sure you didnt want to start a flamewar-But you didnt even correctly quote Roger , nor did you bother to quote anybody else. In short you ended up preparing the perfect recipe for a flamewar

Now let me say this-I've many a times enjoyed your posts and found them very sweet.
Your OP however,was just misguiding.

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Why did she have a go.. Think about it..

na, it's alright. I don't have time to think about it.

if you can't be bothered to give me a direct answer, then don't make comments like "you just showed your true colours..."

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:45 AM
First bolded part- clearly your perceptions.Arrogance is perceived.Just because you think someone is arrogant dosent mean he assumes the character.

yup and I said in another thread (Wedding pics I believe) that him marrying Mirka could be an indication that he's actually different than how the media perceive him. Mirka is not flashy, simple person, which could be a reflection of how Roger actually is.

to be fair, it seems everything starts wars in this board. I'm beginning to think that even in mentioning puppies,s someone will find a way to start a war with tha.t

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Fair enough..

When you grow up, you will know why I said what I said..when I "Grow up" I won't be thinking about you.:)

babbette
05-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Nobody has a problem with yoursupport for Rafa..

But alot of you guys just want to stick a knife in Roger and twist it..

Why is that?

Nadal is a good kid...

don't ask me why they want to stick a knife in Roger, I don't know!!:shock:

Although I might suspect some of it might have to do with some of his older comments towards Rafa.

Yes Rafa is a good kid, but you have to understand players see eachother every tournament, they know what they're like, so are more likely to respect them more, or dislike them more than us because they know them personally: but us we judge people on the snippets, statements and clips we see of people, so you can't always expect everyone to like someone just because the player you admire likes them.

babbette
05-22-2009, 01:07 AM
I am asking you..

Because you are one of the people that has wanted to stick the knife in..

Lets not get confused now.....

Na, sorry. I don't want to stick the knife in him. (poor ways of expression btw, especially with the Knife crimes in UK)
If you want to read a true, hearfelt, and deep answer to your question I suggest asking someone that hates Federer with a passion.

Just because my posts in other threads showed I didn't think Madrid Final was a big deal and it didn't prove too much to me, doesn't mean I want to stick a knife in Roger, just because I mentioned here that his comment in the video might make it sound arrogant, doesn't mean I want to stick a knife in him. It is possible to like someone and criticize him you know. I even criticize rafa, though less on this board because others do enough of that.

BreakPoint
05-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Um....how is a guy who makes at least the semis of EVERY Grand Slam NOT going to be in the Top 8 in the world. Explain that one. :roll:

BreakPoint
05-22-2009, 01:27 AM

Given what Federer has achieved in his career, he has every right to be arrogant. You only wish you've actually achieved anything in your life to be arrogant about.

There's nothing wrong with being arrogant if you've earned it. It's only people who have achieved nothing but are still arrogant that is frowned upon.

BreakPoint
05-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Didn't you see it on TV during the Olympics? Federer WAS indeed being harassed by a lot of the other athletes who wanted to get their pictures taken with Federer, and get his autograph, etc. So much so that he had to move out of the Olympic Village. They never even mentioned anything about Nadal. I assume that means the other athletes didn't even know who Nadal was. :oops:

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Given what Federer has achieved in his career, he has every right to be arrogant. You only wish you've actually achieved anything in your life to be arrogant about.

There's nothing wrong with being arrogant if you've earned it. It's only people who have achieved nothing but are still arrogant that is frowned upon. In other words Djokovic, one-time fluke grand slam champion?

oh shut your trap, the video wasn't even about Federer. Just because someone mentions his name doesn't mean they want the topic to be about Roger. Lol you are such a troll, look at your opening post if you want further proof.

Roger "i'm most likely going to qualify." Yes Roger we all know. But yourself saying it out loud makes it sound arrogant, you know.

babbette
05-22-2009, 05:21 AM
In other words Djokovic, one-time fluke grand slam champion?

Lol you are such a troll, look at your opening post if you want further proof.

if that's what you want to classify me as, fine, have fun. :p

But really, who the f- isn't some kind of troll in this blasted forum. :mrgreen:

This thread makes me swear a lot.

bruce38
05-22-2009, 07:01 AM

Same old problem with you, you have no capacity to extrapolate whatsoever. Weak does not mean physically weak or not good on the court, it's a mentality. And NO, it's not mental toughness, it's how you deal with people and social situations. Nadal is simply young and a panderer. He's been brainwashed into saying the things he does. Granted Fed is older and has more experience, but he is wonderfully matter of fact. For some reason you see a slant in everything he says. I don't blame Nadal per se for how he is, he is a product of his environment.

Your desire that players be all "nice" and "humble" defeats the purpose of them representing that very quality. Tennis and all such competitive sports by their very nature do not lend themselves to these contradictory attitudes. Competition, especially the professional type, is egoistic, solo and defeating all others at all costs, especially for young bulls like Nadal. This entire way of life is at contradiction to statements such as "oh you are great, you are wonderful". It's all BS! And frankly I'm surprised you can't see that. Thus I grouped you into the weak mentality category (not that you're dumb, that is a potentially independent evaluation), but it's a way you have of dealing with people....essentially with lies. It's a sickness, one might even say a form of "political correctness", which does not belong in competitive sports or life for that matter.

joeri888
05-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Na, sorry. I don't want to stick the knife in him. (poor ways of expression btw, especially with the Knife crimes in UK)
If you want to read a true, hearfelt, and deep answer to your question I suggest asking someone that hates Federer with a passion.

Just because my posts in other threads showed I didn't think Madrid Final was a big deal and it didn't prove too much to me, doesn't mean I want to stick a knife in Roger, just because I mentioned here that his comment in the video might make it sound arrogant, doesn't mean I want to stick a knife in him. It is possible to like someone and criticize him you know. I even criticize rafa, though less on this board because others do enough of that.

I think you are one of the few real fanatic Nadal fans on here that actually likes Federer as well.