PDA

View Full Version : Federer plays the Piano, Nadal plays Drums

DoubleDeuce
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Interesing read from NY Times.

Thought I'd share it with you guys.

Inside the clay king's game (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/22/sports/tennis/22iht-SRNADAL.html?ref=tennis)

bolo
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Interesing read from NY Times.

Thought I'd share it with you guys.

Inside the clay king's game (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/22/sports/tennis/22iht-SRNADAL.html?ref=tennis)

Everyone always talks about the strings when they mention nadal. I thought I read somewhere that his strings are nothing special in terms of imparting spin. Does someone who knows something about strings know anything about the types of strings that nadal uses?

thanks for the article.

psYcon
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
hardly surprising!

Elegance vs Brute force

Blade0324
05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the article is off base personally. I think Federers game is not so elegant but rather lackluster. On the other hand the brute force of Nadals game is something that I actually find quite elegant. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

fps
05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Everyone always talks about the strings when they mention nadal. I thought I read somewhere that his strings are nothing special in terms of imparting spin. Does someone who knows something about strings know anything about the types of strings that nadal uses?

thanks for the article.

i think a lot of people don't like nadal because they see him as the embodiment of a player who uses new technology to his advantage. i think when nadal's career is over people will appreciate him a lot more or the athletic freak he is, because at the moment people think there's going to be a wave of nadal's in 5 years, rather than accepting him as a unique talent.

nadal uses harsh babolat poly strings at a mid-range tension. poly strings are low power so players can swing harder with the ball staying in, meaning they can swing faster to put more spin on the ball. the strings are available to everyone, they are comparatively new, they have changed the game by making spin easier to put on the ball and making it easier to hit winning shots from difficult positions. nearly everyone uses this type of string, no one has hidden technology.

bolo
05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
i think a lot of people don't like nadal because they see him as the embodiment of a player who uses new technology to his advantage. i think when nadal's career is over people will appreciate him a lot more or the athletic freak he is, because at the moment people think there's going to be a wave of nadal's in 5 years, rather than accepting him as a unique talent.

nadal uses harsh babolat poly strings at a mid-range tension. poly strings are low power so players can swing harder with the ball staying in, meaning they can swing faster to put more spin on the ball. the strings are available to everyone, they are comparatively new, they have changed the game by making spin easier to put on the ball and making it easier to hit winning shots from difficult positions. nearly everyone uses this type of string, no one has hidden technology.

thanks for the info. fps.

Yes I agree with you that there is definitely a fear among some fans that the tour will be full of nadals, but yeah his game is unique and imo pale imitators will not get very far on the atp tour.

Nanshiki
05-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Nadal uses Babolat Tour Duralast in 15 gauge... It is a first-generation poly that is incredibly stiff (it's been described as being like wire), made stiffer by the thick gauge Nadal apparently needs to keep from breaking strings. For someone who has the strength of Nadal, a stiff string just means you can swing harder and still get enough spin to pretty much do...anything.

The off-side of his particular string is that, like all first-generation poly strings, the playable lifespan of the string is very short... that's why Nadal changes racquets every set and restrings so much (besides the fact that he usually goes deep...).

He could probably use a different string, but he doesn't want to change strings apparently. That, and he's getting paid like two mil a year to use Babolat strings.

If you want the spin and control he has without having to restring constantly, get something like BBO or ALU Power... you'll probably get better comfort anyway. I like Premier Ace personally; it's cheap and has good tension maintenance.

skip1969
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
that arrogant, piano-playing b*stard! ;)

Satch
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
that arrogant, piano-playing b*stard! ;)

interesting that all the piano players i know (and i know at least 10) are gay.

Giggs The Red Devil
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Are you openly piano or you tell everyone you’re a guitar?

gj011
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
They should form the band "TOP 4".
Nadal playing drums, Federer keyboard, Djokovic guitar and Murray bass. Safina can sing.

Vermillion
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

lol i knew i shouldn't have come into the general pro player discussion. what was i thinking?

thejoe
05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
They should form the band "TOP 4".
Nadal playing drums, Federer keyboard, Djokovic guitar and Murray bass. Safina can sing.

They could be ATPortishead :)