PDA

View Full Version : RG 2009 - potential upsets

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 03:38 AM
I think Monaco, on a good day, could take out Djokovic in the QF.

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Davydenko may go down to Koubek, if he's not healthy.
I actually think Odesnik could take Simon, Simon has played terribly this wk in Rotterdam.
Apparently Nicholas Lapentti is gonna take down Djokovic in straights, so watch out for that ;)
Oscar Hernandez to take out Roddick in the 2nd round.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Apparently Nicholas Lapentti is gonna take down Djokovic in straights, so watch out for that LOL.

No................

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 03:54 AM
No................

On a very hot day it could happen. If Monaco was able to win a long first set 7-5 or 7-6 it would be difficult for Djokovic.
Not impossible of course, but stamina-wise Monaco could outlast Djokovic.

P_Agony
05-22-2009, 03:58 AM
I actually want Federer to face Djokovic in the semis, so he can get some revenge as well as getting prepared for the final.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:03 AM
allcourter2008

Nope......... Nole is too good on clay to lose to Monaco, Nole is not Murray.

thejoe
05-22-2009, 04:04 AM
According to some people, Lapennti might take out Djokovic.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:06 AM
Lapentti is 33. Nah.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 04:07 AM
allcourter2008

Nope......... Nole is too good on clay to lose to Monaco, Nole is not Murray.
I've heard that already. Many have said that Djokovic is "too good" to ever lose to Safin in Wimbledon.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:10 AM
I've heard that already. Many have said that Djokovic is "too good" to ever lose to Safin in Wimbledon.

Nole is not as good on grass as on clay. Get real. Grass is his worst surface so an upset can happen on grass.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Nole is not as good on grass as on clay. Get real. Grass is his worst surface so an upset can happen on grass.
So? Safin is not as good on grass as Monaco is on clay.

I'm not saying Monaco could outplay Djokovic on clay, but he could outlast him if the match goes 4-5 hours.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:13 AM
So? Safin is not as good on grass as Monaco is on clay.

I'm not saying Monaco could outplay Djokovic on clay, but he could outlast him if the match goes 4-5 hours.

Safin is a former number 1 and 2 times slam winner.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Safin is a former number 1 and 2 times slam winner.
He's still a (relatively) bad grass-court player. He's struggling big time with his movement since his knee surgery in 2005.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:25 AM
On a good day Safin could beat anyone. Even the likes of Sampras and Fed..

Grass is Nole's worst surface so an upset can happen on grass.

When was the last time Nole lost BEFORE the SF on a clay tournament? Long time ago. He is pretty consistant on clay.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 04:32 AM
On a good day Safin could beat anyone. Even the likes of Sampras and Fed..

Grass is Nole's worst surface so an upset can happen on grass.

When was the last time Nole lost BEFORE the SF on a clay tournament? Long time ago. He is pretty consistant on clay.
The days where Safin can play at USO2000 or AO2005 level are long gone...

Djokovic's best ever win in RG is González, there isn't much else besides choking-Mathieu and baby-Monfils in 06.

I'm not saying Djokovic will lose, but Monaco has a much better chance to win this match than you give him credit for.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Nole has not lost before the SF on clay in a long time. Actually, the last time he lost on clay before the SF was in 2007! when he lost to "Nadal" in the QF of Rome when Nole was ranked #6... He is very consistant on clay.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Nole has not lost before the SF on clay in a long time. Actually, the last time he lost on clay before the SF was in 2007 when he lost to "Nadal" in the QF of Rome when Nole was ranked #6... He is very consistant on clay.

Yes he is very consistent, but we're talking about best-of-5 here. Djokovic never played an in-form clay courter of Monaco's caliber in RG.

He could wilt in the french sun if Monaco manages to keep him on court for 4-5 hours.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Again he has not lost before the SF on clay since 2007. That is a better record than Fed on clay since 2007. Nole is even more consistant then Fed on clay in the past 2 yrs. No early losses on clay to the likes of Stepanek and Wawa like Fed on clay....

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Again he has not lost before the SF on clay since 2007. That is a better record than Fed on clay since 2007. Nole is even more consistant then Fed on clay in the past 2 yrs. No early losses on clay to the likes of Stepanek and Wawa like Fed on clay....

Federer hadn't lost a match on grass for 6 years, but didn't help him much last year, did it?

Djokovic has never been involved in a long war with a great in-form clay courter in RG, never ever.
His stamina is his big weakness, sooner or later he'll met someone in RG who can exploit that. In best-of-3 matches stamina is not an issue, that's why he hasn't been upset before SF.

Cyan
05-22-2009, 04:56 AM
I still think he will reach the SF, unfortunately for the *******s....

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Federer hadn't lost a match on grass for 6 years, but didn't help him much last year, did it?

Djokovic has never been involved in a long war with a great in-form clay courter in RG, never ever.
His stamina is his big weakness, sooner or later he'll met someone in RG who can exploit that. In best-of-3 matches stamina is not an issue, that's why he hasn't been upset before SF.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Djokovic,+Novak&player2=Patience

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/popmatchstats.asp?sd=singles&trnnum=520&trnyear=2007&rnd=3&plyr=D643

fps
05-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Monaco could make the quarters.

JCF could beat Kohlschreiber (seed) and make 3rd round.

who do people think will win if verdasco plays davydenko for a place as nadal's quarter final opponent?

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 05:08 AM
I hope he does.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 05:13 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Djokovic,+Novak&player2=Patience

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/popmatchstats.asp?sd=singles&trnnum=520&trnyear=2007&rnd=3&plyr=D643

I know about this match.

But Patience doesn't fit my definition of "great, in-form claycourter".
When he played Djokovic he was ranked #129 and got double breadsticked by #512 ranked Francesco Aldi just before RG.

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Well you were only talking about Djokovic's fitness. I'd say surviving a 5 setter in the 3rd round and making the semis kinda ends that argument.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Well you were only talking about Djokovic's fitness. I'd say surviving a 5 setter in the 3rd round and making the semis kinda ends that argument.
Playing a 5-setter against Patience is not the same as doing it against Monaco.

When Djokovic gets tired his serve loses sting and he goes for broke more often, this might be enough to defeat Patience, but not against Monaco.

Monaco gave Djokovic a good fight during the USO 2007, so I think he could go all the way on clay with some good cirumstances (hot day, good form on the day).

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2009, 05:20 AM
I mean come on, 5 sets is 5 sets. He did play a tough 4 setter vs Monaco in the USO a few yrs ago, and still made the finals. And in that match, it was Monaco who broke down physically, losing the 4th 6-1 after 3 tight sets.

Also, after the Patience match, he beat Verdasco and Andreev in straights before losing to Nadal. And what's to say Monaco even has the game to take him to 5. I don't think he does.

allcourter2008
05-22-2009, 05:24 AM
I mean come on, 5 sets is 5 sets. He did play a tough 4 setter vs Monaco in the USO a few yrs ago, and still made the finals. And in that match, it was Monaco who broke down physically, losing the 4th 6-1 after 3 tight sets.

Also, after the Patience match, he beat Verdasco and Andreev in straights before losing to Nadal. And what's to say Monaco even has the game to take him to 5. I don't think he does.
We'll have to wait and see.

The first set between the two could make all the difference, if Monaco manages to win it, his chances of victory will increase tenfold.

Andres
05-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Chela takes Murray down, first round ;)

Cesc Fabregas
05-22-2009, 05:41 AM
I can see Gonzo hitting Murray off the court on clay.

Sentinel
05-22-2009, 05:44 AM
I actually want Federer to face Djokovic in the semis, so he can get some revenge as well as getting prepared for the final.
Yeah, that would be great.

We could call it the real final.:twisted: to rile n_f and vero.

Seriously, King Nadal meeting a fatigued Roger/Nole would be a joke of a final !!!!

Sentinel
05-22-2009, 05:45 AM
that would be super sweet !

fedtastic
05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I can see Murray losing to Chela in the first round.

shadows
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
who do people think will win if verdasco plays davydenko for a place as nadal's quarter final opponent?

Dasco, I don't trust Davys form nor his fitness right now.

--

Murray is going to have all kinds of problems imo, I could see several players in his 1/4 causing upsets

batz
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Chela takes Murray down, first round ;)

He's certainly not the guy I'd have picked for Murray in R1. That said, i'm pretty happy with the rest of the draw - although I'd obviously rather he was in Roger's half.

OddJack
05-22-2009, 01:16 PM

I like Monaco, such a fighter, he always gives it all, plays it to the bone.
I hope he spanks Djoker this time.

GPG
05-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Even though I agree with you, I don't think that this can be call an upset because Gonzo has a good ranking (12) and he does good on clay (won Viña del Mar, semis at Barcelona and Rome and hi skiped Madrid b/c of injury)

NamRanger
05-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Monaco has been playing very well as of late; I wouldn't say he doesn't have the game to do it, especially after upsetting so many top players as of late on clay.

oneleggedcardinal
05-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Djokovic d. Nadal?

sh@de
05-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Djokovic d. Nadal?

Nah. Lapentti (sp?) is gonna beat Djoker first. In straights. :-?

drakulie
05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Rafa and Fed are both going down.

jaggy
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Total crazy prediction but I am going for an all Frenchy Tsonga-Monfils semi.

oneleggedcardinal
05-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Nah. Lapentti (sp?) is gonna beat Djoker first. In straights. :-?

I've heard of this Lappenti. He's won 3 French Opens so far, so I wouldn't put it past him.

federerdomination
05-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Federer def. Nadal

:)

veroniquem
05-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Monaco has been playing very well as of late; I wouldn't say he doesn't have the game to do it, especially after upsetting so many top players as of late on clay.
Which top players has he been beating apart from Murray?

Ripster
05-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Monaco is slowly becoming the GOAT on this board. I can see him taking out Del Potro in the 4th round; in fact I picked that to happen in the bracket challenge.

sh@de
05-22-2009, 07:29 PM
No guys! Lapentti! He's the man! :D.

Conquistador
05-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Rafa and Fed are both going down.

You mean in the 2020 French Open?

Sentinel
05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
My crystal ball shows me Radek lifting the RG cup.

Wait ... i notice he played with a racquet and underwear borrowed from Novak !

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Yeah, but that was in Madrid...enough said. Plus he's been hurt this wk. Pulled out of Rotterdam w/a wrist injury. I'd not put too much stock into him.

imalil2gangsta4u
05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
The french players are going out early.

Sentinel
05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Total crazy prediction but I am going for an all Frenchy Tsonga-Monfils semi.
Tsonga in the semi would be great. whose quarter is he in ?

okdude1992
05-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I can see Murray losing to Chela in the first round.

i almost went for that in my racket bracket. ended up having him loose to gonzo

Dutch-Guy
05-23-2009, 02:04 AM
Chela taking Murray down.

joeri888
05-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Tsonga in the semi would be great. whose quarter is he in ?

Novak's. But he has MOnaco second round

joeri888
05-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Federer def. Nadal

:)

Would seriously be a big upset.. but I wouldn't bet on Federer beating both Novak AND Nadal

sh@de
05-23-2009, 03:10 AM
Would seriously be a big upset.. but I wouldn't bet on Federer beating both Novak AND Nadal

Who said Novak would get to the semis? :)

Gorecki
05-23-2009, 03:20 AM
im upset already...

Sentinel
05-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Novak would be the appetizer, Rafa the main course.

And if federer loses to Rafa, we can always say a tired Fed lost to a fresh Nadal.

Touche!

All-rounder
05-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Davydenko
All french players (except chardy)
All american players

imalil2gangsta4u
05-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Davydenko
All american players

those dont sound like upsets, sadly.

Serendipitous
05-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Gulbis hopefully can make it to at least the fourth round.

To do that he would have to get by Verdasco.

Can he do it....?

ChuDat
05-23-2009, 12:37 PM
As much as I would like to see Federer take the title, I would also like to see a final with neither Federer or Nadal, but I know that might never happen.

WhiskeyEE
05-23-2009, 01:05 PM

I'm hoping he will, so that Fed can spank him like USO and make him cry.

sh@de
05-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm hoping he will, so that Fed can spank him like USO and make him cry.

Um, I would agree with the spanking him bit, but not the make him cry bit... :-? I like Djoker's game a lot as well :p.

Sentinel
05-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Davydenko
All american players
Isn't Kolya injured ?

As much as I would like to see Federer take the title, I would also like to see a final with either Federer or Nadal, but I know that might never happen.

the first may not, but surely you'll have Fed or Nadal in the final.

sh@de
05-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Isn't Kolya injured ?

That's definitely happening according to gj011. That's because Djoker has such a damn tough draw he won't make the semis. He's gonna lose in the first round to LAPENTTI!!!!

gj011
05-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Novak indeed has a tough draw, much tougher than Federer's cake walk, but he will still be in the SF for sure, and probably in the final.

Sentinel
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
That's definitely happening according to gj011. That's because Djoker has such a damn tough draw he won't make the semis. He's gonna lose in the first round to LAPENTTI!!!!

Lapentti is hot !!! He once beat Guga( his dubs pardner, iirc.)

gj has reasons to be upset about the draw.

sh@de
05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Lapentti is hot !!! He once beat Guga( his dubs pardner, iirc.)

gj has reasons to be upset about the draw.

Yeah i know! And even if Djoker doesn't lose to Lapentti, he's gonna be so damn tired he'll lose the next round :(. And if he doesn't lose to the next round, basically, his draw is so tough that by the time he reaches the semis vs Fed, he'll get spanked cos his tank will be empty. So sad :-|.

sh@de
05-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Ok listen up gj011. This will be the last time I try to put forward my viewpoint to you in a logical manner, because all my previous attempts (let's not count our flame wars at each other for a moment, k?) have been unsuccessful and I'm sick of it.

I know where you're coming from. You don't like Federer, and you don't like Fed fans imposing their opinion on you right? All you're doing is presenting your point of view. Fair enough. On the other hand, have you ever considered the other side, that is, the perspective from Fed fans? Stating your opinions is fine, I have no problem with that, but when you start twisting your opinions and turning them into what you claim as 'facts' such as 'Federer is rubbish at tennis' and 'Federer is arrogant' etc., it gets on Fed fans' (like me) nerves. Go ahead and say why you think Federer isn't very good at tennis or why you think he is arrogant, but please stop it with those plain statements. The plain statements have no backing, they are not substantiated by proper, logical arguments. The result? People think you are whining, and will start flame wars. I'll apologise for attacking you countless times these past couple of months, but I hope you will take my advice and stop just stating your opinions and making it sound as if they are facts. Opinion =/= fact. Remember that, and then we can have proper discussion. Otherwise, all that will happen is that flame wars will continue.

devila
05-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Here's a great post from the annoying Federer troll's deleted thread.

You are such a snob.

Every player has fans and haters, as simple as that. No need to creat a long post to speculate the reason that doesn't even belong to you. If you want to know why some people don't like/hate Federer just ask. We're more than capable to speak for ourselves. Save your time of typing and being wrong.

How stupid to think every tennis fan suppose to like your fav player and those who don't there must be something wrong with them. I don't like Federer personality and I don't think his game is that exciting. It's my opinion & it has nothing to do with who my fav player is. It's true that Nadal is my fav player right now but if Nadal never existed my opinion on Fed wouldn't change a bit. I don't care if Nadal will ever be half as successful as Fed is because when I started liking him I didn't even expect him to reach no.1 or won any slam outside of clay. Not all of us are history suckers and glory hunters. To say we Nadal fans (or Djoker fans or the fans of other players) hate Fed because we're jealous is down right insulting.

Get off your high horse and accept the reality that people can have different tastes and opinions. Federer plays beautiful tennis but most of his matches + his personality bore me to tears and I'm entitled to think that way.

sh@de
05-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Here's a great post from the annoying Federer troll's deleted thread.

That's pretty much what I'm trying to say, although his post was rather condescending. However, I fully agree that nobody should like the same person, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What I do have a problem with is people forcing their opinions on others and stating their opinions as if they were facts and that whoever disagrees is a ******. That goes to both *******s, *******s and Joketards (LOL what a name).

ChuDat
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM

I meant neither.

veroniquem
05-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Novak indeed has a tough draw, much tougher than Federer's cake walk, but he will still be in the SF for sure, and probably in the final.
Hopefully Novak can take advantage of it, he will be better prepared for a tough match when he reaches the semi while Fed will have literally slept through his draw.

All-rounder
05-24-2009, 11:50 AM
those dont sound like upsets, sadly.
Well as a nation its an upset

veroniquem
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
From what I saw today, Simon is a sure goner.

Sentinel
05-24-2009, 07:56 PM
I meant neither.
I thought the "it wont happen" was for Fed taking the title. So you think the final wont have either of the 2.

Who takes out Nadal, then ?

(I wont ask you who takes out Fed, cos there are a bunch of keyboard warriors on TW who say they can, and i tend to believe people here ;-) )

ChuDat
05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
I thought the "it wont happen" was for Fed taking the title. So you think the final wont have either of the 2.

Who takes out Nadal, then ?
Hopefully theres someone out there who can take Nadal out at RG

Sentinel
05-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Hopefully theres someone out there who can take Nadal out at RG

Nadal's got a tough quarter for sure with Verdasco, Ferrer, Wawrinka and Davydenko, though Davydenko's form hasn't been the best.

Those are some of the potential guys who could take him out.

Watching his R1 match against Daniels at 5-4 poor Nadal could not even hold his serve. it was 0-40. I think the Madrid loss and the one set loss to that kid ranked 109 have done him in !

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Keep spoilers in the spoiler section, please?