PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt Ready for RG

Gugafan
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Lleyton Hewitt is talking up his chances of pulling off a surprise in next week's French Open.

Still only 28, the Australian is on the comeback trail after missing the second half of last season following hip surgery.

Hewitt won his first title in two years in Houston in April, which was also the first time he had landed a clay-court event.

A winner of the US Open and Wimbledon, Hewitt is no stranger to success but has never got further than the quarter-finals at Roland Garros, while proving no match for Rafael Nadal in 2005 and 2006.

However, he believes his game is better suited to the red dirt these days and is optimistic about his chances of making it into the second week of the grand slam event.

"In the last two and a half years I've actually played some of my best tennis on clay," said Hewitt, who lost a five-setter last year to Spain's David Ferrer.

"I keep saying we don't grow up on it in Australia, so it's hard for any of us to come out and play well against the Spaniards and the South American guys straight up.

"But I've been able to learn and adapt to the best way for me to play. I think I can knock good players off on clay. I feel comfortable playing at Roland Garros."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12110_5341555,00.html

Hewitt has evolved as a pretty decent claycourter over the years. He has been a tough matchup for Nadal at RG, almost taking him to 5 sets on one occasion.

In todays game, the top players hit harder then Hewitt. I dont think his grinding style of play is as effective on the hardcourts. RG is still one of the few tournaments, where counterpunchers are rewarded because of the relatively slow conditions. This combined with Hewitts ability to outlast opponents physically during long rallys, make him a tough opponent on clay. It would be great to see him make the third round and push Nadal.

MichaelNadal
05-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Hewitt having a good Roland Garros?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/5y6kn4.gif

bolo
05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Hewitt having a good Roland Garros?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/5y6kn4.gif

lol :) That is too funny.

tacou
05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
so racist man

thalivest
05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I didnt even bother to look where Hewitt was in the draw. I guess that is telling enough though.

Gugafan
05-23-2009, 02:02 PM
This thread can be used by the fanatics to follow Hewitts progress at RG.

He takes on Karlovic tomorrow. First up on court no 1. Straight sets Hewitt??

Gugafan
05-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Hewitt was happy to gain revenge after famously losing to Karlovic in the first round of Wimbledon as defending champion in 2003.

"My first thought when I saw the draw was that loss at Wimbledon and that it was a chance to turn the tables," said the 28-year-old.

"To play him on any surface is hard, especially when his ace-count is up in the 50s. After losing the tie-breakers it's more of a mental battle. You have to hang in there and go the distance.

"There's a lot of pressure there and he's improved a lot in the last five years. He's a better player from the baseline and his low volleys are a lot better."

Gotta love the never say die attitude!!!. Hopefully he can get past Golubev next....Then bring on Nadal!!